Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Where to park images for use on this site?  (Read 4307 times)

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
Where to park images for use on this site?
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »
I've been using Photobucket for the images I post here.  But Photobucket has become ad-nasty.  They appear to be making free use so unpleasant with ads that people will pay them $3/month for use.

Is there a better free site? 

Is it possible to tweak this software so that we can post images direct from Google like can be done on Disqus based boards?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:33:22 PM by Bob Wallace »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
Hello,

The easy solution is to attach a picture at the end of the message (under the writing space, there is an "Attachments and other options" button.

For personnal publications, I use jimdo. My page (bayenet.jimdo.com) doesn't cost me anything, they hope I would pay for extra services like statistics.

Regards,

Etienne

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work for an image that I have in my files.  If the image is online in an article I can just link to it. 

I'm trying to figure out how to use the images I've saved on Google Drive without having to first load them to Photobucket.  Some way to directly link would be highly preferable.  But I've been willing to first upload to PB and then link. 

Until PB started putting multiple ads in one's way.  (I don't mind ads on the page.  It's when I have to close multiple ads in order to get to an image.  PB is now 'stacking' ads.)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Have you tried Google Photos? That seems to work for me, if I post the right links.

And I won't poop my pants, but spell me name right, Bob!  ;) :D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
If an image in your files will not load as an attachment, try limiting its width to 700 pixels.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Have you tried Google Photos? That seems to work for me, if I post the right links.

And I won't poop my pants, but spell me name right, Bob!  ;) :D

I haven't tried Google Photos but I do have (literally) tens of thousands of personal photos on GP.

The downside with GP is that they don't have nested albums.  That's OK for my 40 years of travel photos because I can put each trip/location in an album.  I really only use GP for cloud storage/backup in the event I somehow lose all three external hard drives.  (Meteor strike?)

Energy images, I use nested folders (Global -> CO2, Wind, Solar, etc.) so that I can find things quickly.

Bab

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
My gripe about Photobucket is that when you post an image I want to save, Photobucket won't let me "Save Image."  :(
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
BTW, I am pooping my pants now that I see that this is in the wrong category! This should be in The Forum category, and no need to make it temporary, as others might find it useful at some later point.

edit: Moved now.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Where to park images for use on this site?
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
Wow.  Photobucket blackmail.  :o

Photobucket accused of blackmail after quietly requiring users to pay $400 a year to hotlink
It all began last week when Photobucket announced in a short blog post that it had updated its terms of service that had begun taking effect from June 20th. Nowhere in the blog post did Photobucket highlight the most important change, which was that it will now cost uploaders $400 a year to insert their photos on another website using direct image links.

Photobucket, which launched in 2003, was previously free for all users to upload and embed images all over the web. It was a popular image hosting service of choice for early 2000s bloggers (think Xanga and LiveJournal) until the likes of Facebook and Instagram came along. Since then, it remained widely used by small businesses selling items through online marketplaces, offering 2GB of storage for free or $100 a year for 102GB of storage (the most popular paid plan, according to the service). The update to Photobucket’s ToS, however, means users are forced to upgrade to the most premium tier if they wish to hotlink.

You can imagine, then, the outrage that ensued. It appears users can’t even download their own photos out of their Photobucket accounts without upgrading. ...
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
Imgur works.  But they don't have 'albums within albums' which makes organization harder.

Going to try Flickr next...

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
01 Market Share Change thru 2016 by BobW, on Flickr

Flickr works and it allows nested albums five levels deep.