Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: I really don’t have time to understand  (Read 3888 times)

mustangchef

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I really don’t have time to understand
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:09:25 AM »
Whats up with Gore in a nutshell?
sometimes

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: I really don’t have time to understand
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
In what sense? Do you mean, in relation to that Inconvenient Truth sequel?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

mustangchef

• New ice
    • View Profile
sometimes

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
Mustangchef. I would suggest to frame your question with a few more words. What is it exactly that is bothering you or lacks explanation? If you don't have time for this, maybe it's not important enough.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
Mustangchef. I would suggest to frame your question with a few more words. What is it exactly that is bothering you or lacks explanation? If you don't have time for this, maybe it's not important enough.

I agree with oren. Go to your post by clicking the modify button, change the title to have it include the words 'Al Gore', link to that CNN article, quote from it and then explain what it is you don't understand.

This is basic Forum protocol for opening posts.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

mustangchef

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
Whats up with Gore in a nutshell? Sorry for the confusion...http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/al-gores-climate-change-hypocrisy-is-as-big-as-his-energy-sucking-mansion/
Just wondered if ol Al is all that wonderful when it come to the environment.
sometimes

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
Whats up with Gore in a nutshell? Sorry for the confusion...http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/al-gores-climate-change-hypocrisy-is-as-big-as-his-energy-sucking-mansion/

By your line of 'logic', are you implying that the US military is the biggest hypocrite in the world, or are you saying: 'Yield unto Caesar that which is his'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_usage_of_the_United_States_military

Extract: "The United States Department of Defense is one of the largest single consumers of energy in the world, responsible for 93% of all US government fuel consumption in 2007 (Air Force: 52%; Navy: 33%; Army: 7%. Other DoD: 1%)."

Edit, see also:

Title: "Pentagon chief says climate change threatens security: report"

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-pentagon-chief-climate-threatens.html

Extract:  "Unlike some in the Trump administration, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis believes climate change is real and that it poses a threat to international security, according to a US media report."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »

You still haven't changed the title of the thread, or written a more informing and inviting opening post to get an interesting debate going. And then, to boot, you link to some article by a climate risk denier ('As anyone who reads these pages knows, we believe most of the claims about climate change are themselves scams.'), which means there is probably a lot wrong with the info on Gore.

So, I'm locking this thread, and ask you at the same time to not link to articles by climate risk deniers, as they're a total waste of time and energy, 99.9% of the time. That stuff was interesting in 1992.

As for Al Gore, I don't know, I have mixed feelings about him, often wondering whether all the good he has done, hasn't been offset by the inevitable polarisation that followed after An Inconvenient Tuth.

BUT, that was one of the many reasons for me to get serious about saving energy, reducing my carbon footprint and doing some online community work. My family has saved at least 50% in energy consumption, reduced our carbon footprint even more, and there's a blog and forum to spread awareness on the risks of Arctic sea ice loss (which is the number one AGW issue right now, in my opinion).

And there are thousands, hundreds of thousands, people like me, which probably offsets Al Gore's stuff a thousandfold.

But maybe he could do more, I don't know. It's still better than climate risk denial.
The enemy is within

E. Smith