Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Renewable Energy  (Read 1518256 times)

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Renewable Energy
« Reply #1650 on: May 01, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
Here is some info on the Indian coal mafia, I am sure this use of coal is also not taxed or quantified in Indian coal production numbers. I really don't trust the powers that be to accurately access coal use or CO2 emissions. Accurate satellite monitoring would be a far better assessment  tool but with the new US administration we can write off that option . Does the EU have or plan on putting up CO2 monitoring satellites to replace those Trump defunds ?

https://myeconomist.wordpress.com/coal-mafia-in-eastern-india/

Csnavywx

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1651 on: May 01, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
Calibrated, operational satellite-based observations would be an amazing additional dataset to use. I'd be highly interested in seeing what that could produce.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1652 on: May 01, 2017, 08:10:49 PM »
What if solar farms increased the population of birds and pollinating insects?

Stearns aims to protect pollinators
Stearns County [Minnesota, U.S.] is the first county in the state to require that solar farms be planted with native grasses and flowers that provide habitat for bees and butterflies, whose declining numbers have prompted widespread concern.

The county board this week approved changes in the county's land-use ordinance that include requiring solar companies to plant pollinator habitat on all solar farms and community solar gardens.

Supporters say the move will provide hundreds of acres of critical habitat for threatened pollinators and will provide a model for other counties amid Minnesota's solar building boom. ...
http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2016/11/30/stearns-aims-protect-pollinators/94666548/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1653 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
That's a brilliant idea. And much needed too.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1654 on: May 01, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
A. Everything Bruce said.
B. The first and foremost data piece is the Mauna Loa co2 concentration. So I'm not really sure whose data to believe and whether countries reaching peak emissions are simply exporting their excess manufacturing to other less developed countries, or whether some positive carbon feedbacks have kicked in, or whether this is all just temporary randomness/ENSO, but co2 YoY needs to slow down instead of accelerating as it has been doing on the past few years. Then we will have reached somewhere.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1655 on: May 01, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »
Bob, Yes Greenpeace, " The Degrowth Imperitive " sept.21 2014.   I just don't see how we can make assumptions about coal or energy consumption when revisions for China have only been made through 2013.
  Re. A switch to grains from meats would free up some food to be sure but it still doesn't address water, heat impacts or fertilizer. The calories we get from shipping fresh fruits and vegetables is IMO an energy hog, a vegan one.

There is 2014, 2015 and 2016 data for Chinese coal production and imports.  It's unlike that there are piles of coal somewhere in China that are now being used which would make the production + import numbers significantly lower than the full consumption total.

Moving off meat would free a lot of water.  All that plant material consumed by cattle uses water (and ag land) that can go directly to feeding humans.

Shipping fruits and vegetables is a mixed bag.  Obviously if the shipping is done by electrified rail and renewable energy inputs there's no appreciable problem.  And one study found that flying veg from South America to North America was less carbon intensive than having a local farmer's market operation load up a few crates of veg and drive them 20 miles to market. 

I suspect as time goes on we'll see more veg being grown closer to where it is consumed.  I won't be at all surprised to see a lot of vertical farming done under LED lights right in the cities where the produce is sold.  (I also won't be surprised to see us switch largely to 'factory grown' meat.)

Controlling fertilizer use is improving with no till farming, planting catchment strips of permanent grass, smart amount usage via computer controlled appliers, etc.  Lots more needs to be done but we have some solutions.

I don't  want to get too deep into the ag issues.  They are not foremost for me at this time.  I'm more concerned with getting the big carbon producers shut down.  Finding replacements for coal plants, gas plants and petroleum fueled vehicles.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #1656 on: May 01, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
A carbon price linked to the rate of change in the annual Mauna Loa CO2 numbers would be a good start (it escalates until the numbers start to at least stabilize). Shame that the USA is not in a political position to do this, as the scale of its imports means that it could greatly affect other countries. USA plus China doing this would pretty much force everyone else to do it was well. Way more effective than the UN.

Linked prices for atmospheric nitrous oxide (industrialized farming) and methane (livestock, rice paddies and fracking) would also be needed to make sure that CO2e starts going down given that it is getting close to 500ppm.

Working off atmospheric concentrations would also take into account any increases in the natural cycles, automatically forcing a reduction in anthropogenic emissions to balance any increase in natural ones.

Would drive renewables (and energy efficiency) over the tipping point at the speed of a Tesla S.

Way too much cheating any other way - "carbon neutral" wood pellets, "low carbon" palm oil biodiesel, bogus emission credits, not counting methane and nitrous oxide, ...,
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:25:38 PM by rboyd »

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »
A. Everything Bruce said.
B. The first and foremost data piece is the Mauna Loa co2 concentration. So I'm not really sure whose data to believe and whether countries reaching peak emissions are simply exporting their excess manufacturing to other less developed countries, or whether some positive carbon feedbacks have kicked in, or whether this is all just temporary randomness/ENSO, but co2 YoY needs to slow down instead of accelerating as it has been doing on the past few years. Then we will have reached somewhere.

I've been using the BP 2016 Statistical Review of Global Energy numbers for my calculations/estimations.  They base CO2 emissions on amounts of fossil fuels consumed.  That may not be 100% accurate (pretty much nothing is) but it's consistent year to year.  It's good enough, IMO, to track trends and see peaks and reversals.

Their database should be updated in a couple of months to include 2016 data.

Atmospheric CO2 levels will continue to increase even those we seem to have reached peak CO2 emissions.  We're still emitting a hell of a lot CO2.  But hitting peak is an important milestone.  We have to pass peak before we start dropping emissions.  And we have to drop emissions a lot before we reach zero emissions.

I believe in celebrating passing milestones along the way.  Keeps the spirit up and hope in our hearts.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 01, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
A carbon price linked to the rate of change in the annual Mauna Loa CO2 numbers would be a good start (it escalates until the numbers start to at least stabilize). Shame that the USA is not in a political position to do this, as the scale of its imports means that it could greatly affect other countries. USA plus China doing this would pretty much force everyone else to do it was well. Way more effective than the UN.

Linked prices for atmospheric nitrous oxide (industrialized farming) and methane (livestock, rice paddies and fracking) would also be needed to make sure that CO2e starts going down given that it is getting close to 500ppm.

Would drive renewables over the tipping point at the speed of a Tesla S.

Way too much cheating any other way - "carbon neutral" wood pellets, "low carbon" palm oil biodiesel, bogus emission credits, not counting methane and nitrous oxide, ...,

There's a new variety of rice which greatly lowers methane emissions from rice paddies.

Carbon released from dead plants, or directly into the soil via the roots, is transformed by microorganisms into methane, which can escape into the atmosphere.

Larger, starchier rice grains mean there is less carbon transferred to the soil to be turned into methane.

phys.org/news/2015-07-scientists-low-methane-rice

Wood pellets and other biofuels beat the hell out of fossil fuels.  They bring no new carbon to the 'above Earth's surface' carbon cycle.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1659 on: May 02, 2017, 12:24:15 AM »
To get to a place where we start to see atmosphere CO2 levels begin to stabilize would require world CO2 emissions to drop from their current ~ 36 Pg CO2 down to levels last seen in the mid 1970s at around 18.5 Pg CO2 per year.
 From this paper
http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/10/1131/2017/gmd-10-1131-2017.pdf
" Reduces total land carbon sink from 3.40 plus minus .84 to 2.53 Plus or minus .93 PgC per year
 Increases total ocean carbon sink from 1.84 plus or minus .40 to 2.36 plus or minus .49 PgC per year"

The global sinks need to match up better with anthropogenic emissions before we begin to stabilize , let alone begin to reduce atmospheric CO2 concentrations . Temperatures are also effected by CO2 e so methane and NO2 also have to be reduced in addition to CO2 emissions before temperatures will stabilize.

In grossly general terms the annual 10 PgC anthropogenic carbon emissions needs to be halved and we have to get control of methane and NO2. If we accomplish all of these things and atmospheric CO2 still continues it's rise we will know feedbacks have taken over. For me the tipping point is when Mauna Loa gets to levels from the mid 1970s and continues to drop. There is some amount of carbon stored in the two major sinks that will be released back into the atmosphere do to CO2 fertilization over the last several decades . No free lunch ,what we sent into the soils or the ocean will return for the most part .

https://www.carbonbrief.org/what-global-co2-emissions-2016-mean-climate-change

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1660 on: May 02, 2017, 12:55:51 AM »
Bob I'm with you, I will celebrate any milestone. I'm just saying the best way of recognizing peak emissions is having a peak in the annual rate of change of measured co2 concentration, as this number is not subject to manipulation or information errors. And the annual rate of change has not been showing a peak commensurate with the claim that emissions have peaked. (Having a peak in the actual concentration itself is a far off dream). Hopefully this rate will peak in the next few years...

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 02, 2017, 03:26:56 AM »
I'm just saying the best way of recognizing peak emissions is having a peak in the annual rate of change of measured co2 concentration

I agree.   But we can't (as far as I know) measure CO2 concentration per individual country.  I think it's important to see the progress each country is (or isn't) making.

I'm assuming the China numbers are good enough to tell us that China has reached "stop" and is now in "reverse".  The ocean liner is changing direction.  That, I think, is wonderful.  And it sticks a cork in the yap of those people who say "Why should we do anything when China keeps on increasing their CO2 output". 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 03, 2017, 03:19:22 AM »
“The city of Moab, Utah—with a population of only 5,325 and a per capita income of $23,586 — recently committed to 100-percent renewable electricity by 2032. Moab may not have the financial resources of Aspen or Park City, but it shares the same commitment to preserving the environment.”

MOAB, UTAH: HOW A SMALL COMMUNITY IS MAKING A BIG DIFFERENCE
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/moab-utah-how-small-community-making-big-difference

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 03, 2017, 03:41:39 AM »
Moab, in the most Republican state in the union, Utah.

A bit tempered by having a lot of tourists come through, but if Moab is going green the dam is surely crumbling.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 03, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
Moab, in the most Republican state in the union, Utah.

A bit tempered by having a lot of tourists come through, but if Moab is going green the dam is surely crumbling.

A majority of Republicans/conservatives want clean energy, too. They just don't want to talk about climate change, or feel they are being forced to change by the government.   ;)

http://www.publicnewsservice.org/2016-12-19/climate-change-air-quality/majority-of-republican-voters-support-clean-energy/a55441-2

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: May 03, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
From your link...

A post-election survey found that nearly 90 percent of all voters support more government action to speed up the shift to clean energy. Mark Pischea, executive director at Conservative Energy Network, said that includes 2-to-1 support by conservatives. He said the Republican Party shouldn't ignore these results.

This and Moab going green are a couple of milestones along the evolution of Republicans as they move from being strongly anti-wind and solar to becoming supporters of clean energy. 

Renewables in the US have, at times, been held back due to political opposition.  Wind has been jerked around like a yoyo with Congress controlled subsidy programs that ran only for one year and were not approved until the last moment.  There has been proposed legislation designed to block renewable installation in some states.

The first place we saw state Republicans start to change their attitude was in the states with significant amounts of installed wind.  Money was appearing in small towns that had been buying.  Tax revenues were saving fire departments and schools.  Good jobs were being created.  Farmers and ranchers who leased land for turbines had money to buy new tractors and to spend in local stores and restaurants.

Then we started seeing Republicans installing rooftop solar - because it saved them money.  In the very conservative Southeast we saw the establishment of the Green Tea Party.  Some of the most politically conservative individuals pushing for more use of solar.

The US coal industry is dying rapidly.  No income for many mines and plant owners means less political power.  (We've seen no real action on the part of the oil industry to block EVs.)

With less and less opposition to renewables and more and more support we should see installation  rates continue to increase.  Add in lowering costs for wind and solar plus lower costs for enabling storage and the US might soon move to ~3% per year transitioning from fossil fuels to renewables.  That's the rate we need to get almost all FF off our grids in 20 years.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 13, 2017, 03:27:41 AM »
Cranberry farmer grows new 'crop': solar energy Massachusetts farmer Michael Paduch installed a solar array on four acres of cranberry bogs. It’s a 'win, win, win,' he says.
Paduch: “One is it’s a wide open space, so there’s plenty of sunshine. Two, it is a piece of property by its nature that generally isn’t useful for anything else. It’s typically a wetland.”

Several years later, a solar array covers four acres of his cranberry bogs. It produces a megawatt of energy – enough to power more than 100 homes.

And best of all, the cranberry vines thrive in the shade created by the panels. They don’t produce quite as many berries, but Paduch can grow and sell the plants to other farmers.
https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2017/05/cranberry-farmer-grows-new-crop-solar-energy/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 16, 2017, 02:03:57 AM »
Still at the Kickstarter stage, but an interesting idea, particularly for renters who would like to add solar.

SolarGaps window blinds hide built-in solar panels, helps renters save on utilities
https://9to5toys.com/2017/05/15/solargaps-solar-panel-window-blinds/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
Australia: 
Solar panels and the law: Can you stop your neighbour from blocking your sunlight?

"What are your legal rights if a neighbour decides to build up and block direct sunlight from hitting your solar panels?"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-16/solar-panels-and-the-law-is-there-a-right-to-sunlight/8526752

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 16, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
Drone video:  110MW solar farm by Cypress Creek in South Carolina!
(“Thunderstruck” audio to turn up, or mute. ;) )

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1670 on: May 17, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
Here are two graphs of EU 28 energy consumption that Bob Wallace posted in another thread:

Renewables going up. 

Fossil fuels going down.

Here's a version with all fossil fuel production combined.

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 17, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
And those two graphs do not speak to renewables reaching a tipping point, which is the topic of this thread.

The thread topic is the falling cost of renewables.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1672 on: May 17, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
Falling costs help renewables reach a tipping point, right?  ;)

Okay, I will change the name of this thread to Renewable Energy.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1673 on: May 17, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Does the new name "renewable energy" mean I can post about Red Bull - which is supposed to renew energy ? (sorry)
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1674 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:59 PM »
No, that goes into the 'how we kill our children' thread. Or the 'Big Pharma/Sugar' tread.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1675 on: May 17, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »
Neven. now I know you are deranged. Don't you know? Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolyte.  ;)j/k
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1676 on: May 17, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »
Neven. now I know you are deranged. Don't you know? Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolyte.  ;)j/k

The boss is deranged? Is this NevenGate ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1677 on: May 17, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »

I know that quote! Idiocracy!  ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1678 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
but what happens to the planet when we suck the sun out of the air with solar panels. . .
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »
Just want to remind folks that I started this thread as a place to discuss the rapidly falling price of wind and solar.  Let's not destroy the purpose by making it a catchall for anything remotely related to renewable energy.

What is most likely to save the world's butt is renewable energy becoming so affordable that it pushes fossil fuels off the table.

This site is about how humans are causing the planet to disastrously warm.  We need to recognize the solutions that are emerging.  Affordable renewable energy and electrified transportation.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1680 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
And those two graphs do not speak to renewables reaching a tipping point, which is the topic of this thread.
I think the 2nd graph does point to a tipping point: when renewables (in the EU) produce more power than FF, people in the USA will begin to see the writing on the wall.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 18, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
I'm saddened that the topic name changed. This thread was not just about renewables but the technological, economic and social breakthroughs that will lead to mass adoption of renewables.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1682 on: May 18, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
I'm saddened that the topic name changed. This thread was not just about renewables but the technological, economic and social breakthroughs that will lead to mass adoption of renewables.

I'd rather have all that in one thread, and not one thread for falling costs of renewables, one for renewables reaching a tipping point, one for the technological breakthroughs, one for the economic breakthroughs, and one for the social breakthroughs. And as this was the most popular thread on renewables, I decided to give it a generic name where all of those sub-themes can be discussed.

And otherwise, I'm sure there's a Renewable Energy Forum somewhere where the distinctions are expressed in a variety of detailed threads.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: May 18, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »
Alrighty then.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 19, 2017, 07:33:58 PM »
I feel that it would be useful to split the "new renewables", wind+solar+new bio+geo, from the "old renewables" of hydro and traditional biomass.

The latter have very different growth trends (i.e. much lower or actually falling) to the fast growing new renewables. The growth trends, technological drivers, integration issues etc. are all completely different. Lumping the two together also gives a misleading view of the penetration of the rapidly growing new renewables.

e.g. with respect to Bob's graphs on EU28 electricity sources, half of the renewables are in fact slow-growing hydro. Both overstates the scale of the new renewables, and understates the speed of their growth. EU28 numbers from 2015 by percentage share:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:EU-28_Electricity_production_by_source,_2015_(in_%25)_update.png

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
« Reply #1685 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »
rboyd
I like your breakdown. Is it possible to do a similar chart say from 10 or 20 years ago to show the growth of various sectors? Also similar charts of various regions say Canada, US, China etc?

Thanks
Terry

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 20, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »
For total primary energy for a number of countries - page 48 to 50.

http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/news_docs/jrc-2016-trends-in-global-co2-emissions-2016-report-103425.pdf

For renewable electricity globally (pretty much non-hydro was negligible prior to 2010):

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 20, 2017, 03:42:43 AM »
It's encouraging, but will Hydro suffer as glaciers melt away? With the California drought a few years ago I know that Hoover Dam was cutting electrical production & I worry that the uncertainties of weather patterns in future years might have an effect on electrical production from Hydro, Fossil, and Nuclear sources. PV and wind don't require water, but everything else needs plenty.

Terry

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1688 on: May 20, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »
Just saw this in Financial Times. (registration required if you follow the link but I think you can read a few articles without paying)
Anyway, the people who read a newspaper like this one by and large cannot function with their heads down in the sand and it is encouraging to see an article like this.

"The Big Green Bang: how renewable energy became unstoppable"
https://www.ft.com/content/44ed7e90-3960-11e7-ac89-b01cc67cfeec

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: May 20, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
Terry, very much agree on the issue with hydro. As the sub-tropics expand due to climate change, the area of aridity moves northwards and southwards - any hydro projects in their path will be in trouble.

Brazil had major problems recently, seems to be as much to do with deforestation changing weather patterns as it was to do with climate change. Also, exacerbated by the El Nino. They are heavily reliant on hydroelectricity, so was a major problem.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=27472

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin-america-29956589/brazil-drought-is-linked-to-amazon-deforestation

As the glaciers melt in the Himalayas etc., water flows into Indian and Pakistani dams may actually improve in the short term then decline rapidly as the ice disappears. The endgame already seems to be in play in Bolivia and Peru.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-04/la-paz-short-water-bolivia-s-suffers-its-worst-drought-25-years

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/melting-glaciers-pose-threat-beyond-water-scarcity-floods-1.3030282

At least Canada and other Northern latitude countries may have greater rainfall into the rivers feeding their dams.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 20, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
Probably a little nationalistic on my part, but I wish Canada would run some East/West lines to spread Quebec's hydro to some of our coal burning provinces. ::)

Terry

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
For total primary energy for a number of countries - page 48 to 50.

http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/news_docs/jrc-2016-trends-in-global-co2-emissions-2016-report-103425.pdf

For renewable electricity globally (pretty much non-hydro was negligible prior to 2010):

That prediction bar graph is from the EIA.  In no way would I take their numbers seriously.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: May 21, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
California grid sets record, with 67% of power from renewables
A stretch of sunny, windy days, combined with brimming reservoirs at hydroelectric plants across the state, helped California reach a renewable energy milestone last weekend.

Early Saturday afternoon, renewable sources produced a record 67.2 percent of the electricity on the portion of the state’s power grid controlled by the California Independent System Operator. That figure does not include large hydropower facilities, which added another 13.5 percent. Based in Folsom, the ISO runs 80 percent of the state’s grid.

More than half of the renewable energy flowing across the grid at that moment on Saturday came from large solar facilities and wind farms. The ISO’s numbers do not even account for electricity from rooftop solar arrays.

Overall, renewables accounted for 42 percent of the California grid’s power on Saturday, not counting the large hydropower plants.

“The fact that the grid can handle 67 percent renewable power from multiple sources — it’s a great moment, and it shows the potential we have,” said Sachu Constantine, the director of policy at the Center for Sustainable Energy, a nonprofit clean energy advisory firm in Berkeley....
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/State-breaks-another-renewable-energy-record-11156443.php#photo-12561411

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1693 on: May 21, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »
An excellent presentation from Greg Wilson at the U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory on the trends and projections of PV cost reductions and what needs to happen to meet the IPCC targets.

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: May 23, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »
        ;D      8)

"... graph showing the historic track record of the IEA in predicting solar: reality steeply increasing but IEA is having none of it."
https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/866313289306963969

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »
They really need a new way of making predictions. Perhaps a crystal ball might bring them closer.  8)

Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
They really need a new way of making predictions. Perhaps a crystal ball might bring them closer.  8)

Terry

Heck, even a dart board might be an improvement.  ;D

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 23, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
Perhaps a crystal ball might bring them closer.

Perhaps they could quit toadying up to their fossil fuel masters.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
"A single revolution of a turbine’s blades can power a home for 29 hours."

The World’s Largest Wind Turbines Have Started Generating Power in England
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/607908/the-worlds-largest-wind-turbines-have-started-generating-power-in-england/

Pretty cool video/GIF at the link.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 23, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »
I just emailed the IEA WEO chart to the IEA along with the question -

"Do you folks ever sit back and ponder whether you're getting stuff right?"

I don't expect to hear back....