Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 33899 times)

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2017, 06:25:45 AM »
Yeah, main comment threads always get diluted in online forums. No way around it. 2016/2017 freezing season thread is all too unsoecific name for detailed discussions. Heck, if I wanted to, I could report the ice situation in nearby lake on daily basis and it still would kindof be on topic. I'd say the thread keeps remarkably well on topic considering many on the net.
A quantity relates to a quantum like camel's back relates to camel's _______ ? (back, vertebra, vertebral tendon, spinal disc, paralysis)

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2017, 04:11:39 AM »
Remembering the hack on Skeptical Science, I'd recommend rather regular offline-backups of the forum/site. No doubt some conspiracy theorist has unfounded doubts of the site. I'm though pretty sure you already do this, if not, then start. Easier to track back the time of disturbance that way.
A quantity relates to a quantum like camel's back relates to camel's _______ ? (back, vertebra, vertebral tendon, spinal disc, paralysis)

Tigertown

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2017, 05:13:08 AM »
An old suggestion that will probably continue to ignored, but here it goes anyhow. It is not necessary to quote whole long-winded posts with charts, other quotes, pictures, and diagrams, ect., in order to make a reply to the post(s).

budmantis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2017, 05:19:38 AM »
An old suggestion that will probably continue to ignored, but here it goes anyhow. It is not necessary to quote whole long-winded posts with charts, other quotes, pictures, and diagrams, ect., in order to make a reply to the post(s).

+1

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »
Remembering the hack on Skeptical Science, I'd recommend rather regular offline-backups of the forum/site. No doubt some conspiracy theorist has unfounded doubts of the site. I'm though pretty sure you already do this, if not, then start. Easier to track back the time of disturbance that way.

Good idea, I haven't done this in a while. Just tried it, but something goes wrong. Hmmm...
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »

this and it could be avoided even more with another suggestion i made many times and probably has been discarded which would be a thanks button or an other means of appreciation without having to quote and/or write text that clogs a thread for the sole purpose of showing consent and/or appreciation
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Tigertown

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2017, 12:36:57 AM »
this and it could be avoided even more with another suggestion i made many times and probably has been discarded which would be a thanks button or an other means of appreciation without having to quote and/or write text that clogs a thread for the sole purpose of showing consent and/or appreciation
I think Neven had tried to have that done, but there was some tech issues with it or whatever. I just simply deleted part of this quote to shorten it. It can't be that difficult if I can do it.

be cause

• ASIF Citizen
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2017, 12:43:52 AM »
a few weeks ao I pm'd someone who had started an off topic conversation in the freezing season thread .. his response .. to open a new thread and appreciate my motives .. this saved a conversation to stop a conversation .. and might be usefully used in moderation .. :)
be the cause of only good
and love all beings as you should
and the 'God' of all Creation
will .. through you .. transform all nations :)

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2017, 12:50:27 AM »
I think Neven had tried to have that done, but there was some tech issues with it or whatever. I just simply deleted part of this quote to shorten it. It can't be that difficult if I can do it.

yes i thinks so too, you're right i should have mentioned :-) thanks for jumping in :D
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Chuck Yokota

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »
Suggestion: Rename the "California Drought Emergency Declared" thread to "California weather and climate"

Tigertown

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:19 AM »
Suggestion: Rename the "California Drought Emergency Declared" thread to "California weather and climate"
And How!

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »

Good idea. I squeezed in the word 'extremes' in as well.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

woodstea

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
I would like to see a place on the forum for FAQs. The only think I have seen like it is the Glossary thread in the Arctic Sea Ice forum. It would be useful to have introductory info on a variety of topics, such as the various satellites and their sensors: what agency is responsible for them, when were they launched, what sensors are on board, what are the characteristics of the sensors (bands, etc.) and what are they useful for?

Anyone who used Usenet News back in the days before AOL and everyone joined the Internet remembers how it used to be in the technical groups (comp.unix.shell, for instance). Serious people were on those forums, and if you were a newbie and asked some question whose answer was readily available in the FAQ, etc., the only answer you would get would be "RTFM". Everyone was expected to have done that before taking part in discussions.

The trouble with the forum format for FAQs is that even in a thread like the Glossary one, useful information is buried down in the thread as additional posts are added, and those are discussed, etc. What I think would be better would be to have a certain person responsible for each FAQ thread, and the original post in the thread would be updated over time so everything would be in that first post.

Once we had a good set of FAQs, we could start telling people "RTFM" instead of wasting a lot of space in the main forums answering the same questions over and over again.