Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 158886 times)

Pmt111500

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2017, 06:25:45 AM »
Yeah, main comment threads always get diluted in online forums. No way around it. 2016/2017 freezing season thread is all too unsoecific name for detailed discussions. Heck, if I wanted to, I could report the ice situation in nearby lake on daily basis and it still would kindof be on topic. I'd say the thread keeps remarkably well on topic considering many on the net.

Pmt111500

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2017, 04:11:39 AM »
Remembering the hack on Skeptical Science, I'd recommend rather regular offline-backups of the forum/site. No doubt some conspiracy theorist has unfounded doubts of the site. I'm though pretty sure you already do this, if not, then start. Easier to track back the time of disturbance that way.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2017, 05:13:08 AM »
An old suggestion that will probably continue to ignored, but here it goes anyhow. It is not necessary to quote whole long-winded posts with charts, other quotes, pictures, and diagrams, ect., in order to make a reply to the post(s).
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2017, 05:19:38 AM »
An old suggestion that will probably continue to ignored, but here it goes anyhow. It is not necessary to quote whole long-winded posts with charts, other quotes, pictures, and diagrams, ect., in order to make a reply to the post(s).

+1

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »
Remembering the hack on Skeptical Science, I'd recommend rather regular offline-backups of the forum/site. No doubt some conspiracy theorist has unfounded doubts of the site. I'm though pretty sure you already do this, if not, then start. Easier to track back the time of disturbance that way.

Good idea, I haven't done this in a while. Just tried it, but something goes wrong. Hmmm...
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »

this and it could be avoided even more with another suggestion i made many times and probably has been discarded which would be a thanks button or an other means of appreciation without having to quote and/or write text that clogs a thread for the sole purpose of showing consent and/or appreciation

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2017, 12:36:57 AM »
this and it could be avoided even more with another suggestion i made many times and probably has been discarded which would be a thanks button or an other means of appreciation without having to quote and/or write text that clogs a thread for the sole purpose of showing consent and/or appreciation
I think Neven had tried to have that done, but there was some tech issues with it or whatever. I just simply deleted part of this quote to shorten it. It can't be that difficult if I can do it.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1008
  • Likes Given: 1031
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2017, 12:43:52 AM »
a few weeks ao I pm'd someone who had started an off topic conversation in the freezing season thread .. his response .. to open a new thread and appreciate my motives .. this saved a conversation to stop a conversation .. and might be usefully used in moderation .. :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

magnamentis

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2017, 12:50:27 AM »
I think Neven had tried to have that done, but there was some tech issues with it or whatever. I just simply deleted part of this quote to shorten it. It can't be that difficult if I can do it.

yes i thinks so too, you're right i should have mentioned :-) thanks for jumping in :D

Chuck Yokota

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »
Suggestion: Rename the "California Drought Emergency Declared" thread to "California weather and climate"

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:19 AM »
Suggestion: Rename the "California Drought Emergency Declared" thread to "California weather and climate"
And How!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »

Good idea. I squeezed in the word 'extremes' in as well.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
I would like to see a place on the forum for FAQs. The only think I have seen like it is the Glossary thread in the Arctic Sea Ice forum. It would be useful to have introductory info on a variety of topics, such as the various satellites and their sensors: what agency is responsible for them, when were they launched, what sensors are on board, what are the characteristics of the sensors (bands, etc.) and what are they useful for?

Anyone who used Usenet News back in the days before AOL and everyone joined the Internet remembers how it used to be in the technical groups (comp.unix.shell, for instance). Serious people were on those forums, and if you were a newbie and asked some question whose answer was readily available in the FAQ, etc., the only answer you would get would be "RTFM". Everyone was expected to have done that before taking part in discussions.

The trouble with the forum format for FAQs is that even in a thread like the Glossary one, useful information is buried down in the thread as additional posts are added, and those are discussed, etc. What I think would be better would be to have a certain person responsible for each FAQ thread, and the original post in the thread would be updated over time so everything would be in that first post.

Once we had a good set of FAQs, we could start telling people "RTFM" instead of wasting a lot of space in the main forums answering the same questions over and over again.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
I have been reading this forum for about 4 years now on a daily basis.  I haven't contributed a whole lot, but I have found the ASIF to be the best place to get real time insights into the Arctic and climate science in general.

Over the last few months, I feel that the ability to follow daily observations and measurements has been made much more cumbersome by a flood of commentary.  Commentary is of course interesting and keeps the forums active, but it gets in the way of the presentation of observations, which is the main reason I come here.  I think what has happened to the IJIS thread that Espen has dutifully updated since 2013 is especially discouraging.  I suspect many other lurkers may feel the same.

My suggestion is to have separate sticky threads for different kinds of observations, which ideally would be moderated to limit posts to the topic.  These could potentially include:

2017 Arctic satellite imagery
2017 Arctic buoy/ship observations
2017 NSIDC data
2017 JAXA data
2017 UBremen data
2017 PIOMAS/volume data
2017 short range (0-6 day) weather forecasts

While those threads can include comments on the data itself, posts making predictions, extrapolating data into the future, critiquing the usefulness of the metric, or otherwise discussing thoughts and feelings would be excluded.  I think the monthly polls and image of the day threads can be made unsticky, in order to reduce clutter.

I understand the thought process behind trying to keep the 2017 melt season thread on topic. However, my feeling is that as the forum grows in popularity, it will have to accommodate an open thread somewhere.  The generic melt season thread has become the catch-all for various thoughts and feelings, which dilute the most interesting posts (especially weather forecasts).  So my suggestion is to split out the most relevant and interesting posts, and lessen the moderation on the melting season thread.

These are just my humble thoughts.  In any case, I appreciate Neven's efforts in maintaining this wonderful little corner of the internet.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »
 I think Neven does a great job running this forum and has been more than patient with us lately. I always welcome moderation if I get too extreme in my comments. I have undertaken projects for financial gain and had less patience, much less him doing this voluntarily. I think everyone here should have respect for him or at some point move on, and without a big announcement please.

I might make one suggestion, or maybe two. Maybe start having a longer probation period on new members before their comments post automatically. Second, if someone insults you personally, let Jim Pettit or someone else deal with them. You are too gracious sometimes. Only suggestions, as you are in charge, but please don't let things go so far that you get frustrated.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
Over the last few months, I feel that the ability to follow daily observations and measurements has been made much more cumbersome by a flood of commentary.  Commentary is of course interesting and keeps the forums active, but it gets in the way of the presentation of observations, which is the main reason I come here.  I think what has happened to the IJIS thread that Espen has dutifully updated since 2013 is especially discouraging.  I suspect many other lurkers may feel the same.

I'm sorry about that, sedziobs. The Forum has grown quite a bit (almost 1300 members now) and so it gets more difficult to keep everything in check. Thankfully Jim Pettit now helps out as a moderator. Maybe we could use one more moderator.

It was never my intention to take away my focus and energy from the ASIB and direct it towards the job of policeman on the ASIF. I wanted to be lenient to überalarmists because it's always good to have people present alternate viewpoints and go out on a limb. Unfortunately, this exploratory mindset is often accompanied by a big ego and a Galileo-complex, and going out on a limb on a forum that is already quite alarmist by nature (ie what binds people here, is their worry over Arctic sea ice loss) is flirting with überalarmism at best.

I've decided to be less lenient in the future. Not when it comes to alternate viewpoints and 'going out on a limb', but towards the inability to deal with pushback and resorting to verbal conflict, flinging generalisations and strawmen and whining about being persecuted.

I've banned two persons today (accompanied by apologies and the suggestion to go to Guy McPherson's forum), and more may follow.

My suggestion is to have separate sticky threads for different kinds of observations, which ideally would be moderated to limit posts to the topic.  These could potentially include:

2017 Arctic satellite imagery
2017 Arctic buoy/ship observations
2017 NSIDC data
2017 JAXA data
2017 UBremen data
2017 PIOMAS/volume data
2017 short range (0-6 day) weather forecasts

It's a good suggestion, but I'm afraid the same problem of people posting long off-topic rants would occur eventually. It also means someone has to open all these threads, and when someone opens them, he is more or less responsible for them. I don't have time for that kind of responsibility. The unnecessary bickering of the past few weeks has cost me many precious hours already (and I'm still working like crazy and doing all kinds of physical work in and around the house, just happy I'm not sawing my fingers off or dropping a big stone on my toes  ;) ).

No, all that info/observation/analysis has to stay in the melting season threads, and off-topic rants are off-limits there. That's easiest for me to moderate.

I think the monthly polls and image of the day threads can be made unsticky, in order to reduce clutter.

That's a good idea. I'll unsticky the polls as soon as the voting period has ended. I kind of like the Image of the day thread because of its creative and esthetic appeal, and it would be a shame if it would slowly disappear.

These are just my humble thoughts.  In any case, I appreciate Neven's efforts in maintaining this wonderful little corner of the internet.

Thanks, I'll try to keep this place as pleasant and informative as possible.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:25 PM »
I think Neven does a great job running this forum and has been more than patient with us lately. I always welcome moderation if I get too extreme in my comments. I have undertaken projects for financial gain and had less patience, much less him doing this voluntarily. I think everyone here should have respect for him or at some point move on, and without a big announcement please.

Thanks, Tigertown. I also often say to folks: Maybe this just isn't the place for you. Why don't you go find some other forum?

I might make one suggestion, or maybe two. Maybe start having a longer probation period on new members before their comments post automatically.

Usually, those first three posts show me to what broad category someone belongs. I usually don't release profiles of deniers/skeptics right away, but I'm going to do the same if I fear someone may be überalarmist. Thanks for the tip.

Second, if someone insults you personally, let Jim Pettit or someone else deal with them. You are too gracious sometimes. Only suggestions, as you are in charge, but please don't let things go so far that you get frustrated.

I don't care about insults, it's the Internet. I've also insulted people in the past. It's only natural that it comes back to me.  ;D

Viddaloo had the best insults, by the way. Nazi this, nazi that.  ;)

PS Sorry for 'lashing out' a bit at your analogy in the melting season thread yesterday. The whole thing has been getting to me lately, and I tried to steer the thread back with a long, counterproductive rant of my own.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5277
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
Once upon a time I had a book entitled "Put Downs" that contained famous insults. E.g. Lady Astor to Winston Churchill "Winston, you are drunk!". Winston to Lady Astor "Yes, madam. And you are ugly. But tomorrow I will be sober."
Of course, someone stole the book.

Keep on trucking.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

E.

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »
I come here daily and only lurk, as I have no expertise in this matter other than what I have picked up in the forum. I am just an interested and frightened observer of what we are doing to the world. It seems to me that Greatdying2 went a little off the rails in this past week, maybe well off the rails, but otherwise has been a valuable contributor.  These are very trying times, particularly in the U.S. right now (I don't know where GD2 is from), and people are falling apart everywhere. Neven runs a terrific forum and let me be the first to support him in his volunteer efforts to police the place, but a suggestion I would make is to maybe give a person a cooling off period before the ban. I seem to remember this happening in the past with a commenter who was quite persistent and grating.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
That works with people who go off-topic a lot (like abottisgone), but not with people who are passionate about their ideas. They will continue to hold grudges, I fear.

But on the face of it, it might be good to ban people until the melting season is over. I don't know, I'll try and think about it before banning someone.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
A temporary ban as a warning before a permanent ban can be a very useful tool, as the person in question might be finally alerted to the severity of the situation and might therefore change for the better.
And big thanks to Neven. This amazing place is my number one reading material on the Internet.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2017, 11:48:12 PM »
I second Oren .. this is a precious place with some wonderful contributors . I am grateful to everyone who brings knowledge and insight to a fast changing environment and to Neven for hosting us in the midst of life's pressures .
I have been barred twice elsewhere for challenging deniers before i found my home here . It isn't fun . Second chances may be appreciated ..

Bless All .. just  be cause .. :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2017, 11:55:23 PM »
Okay, I've unbanned one of two persons I've banned today. We worked it out behind the scenes.  :)

That's a 50% reduction, folks.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

greatdying2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
I say ban him. Definitely unhinged.  ;D
The Permian–Triassic extinction event, a.k.a. the Great Dying, occurred about 250 million years ago and is the most severe known extinction event. Up to 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species became extinct; it is also the only known mass extinction of insects.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2017, 12:31:38 AM »
E.
people are falling apart everywhere
You can say that again. That subject could make up a thread on its own. We can't let our anger and frustration ever get the best of us. Once you do so, it is hard to stop. I try to think what can happen as soon as I start feeling anger or resentment, and keep my composure. I bet the Switzerland chainsaw man wishes he had stopped to think for a minute.

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40723179

greatdying2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »
These are very trying times, particularly in the U.S. right now (I don't know where GD2 is from), and people are falling apart everywhere.
Indeed:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/07/23/new_york_times_demands_apology_from_fox_friends_for_malicious_al_baghdadi.html
The Permian–Triassic extinction event, a.k.a. the Great Dying, occurred about 250 million years ago and is the most severe known extinction event. Up to 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species became extinct; it is also the only known mass extinction of insects.

Pmt111500

« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
 ;) I'd suggest inserting "US", "United States" and similar phrases to the list of banned words in any posts. "Trumpistan" should still be allowed if some insist talking politics. The US is quickly becoming irrelevant on the matter of climate change, but the Trumpistan policies of destroying the arctic habitat and sinking the low lying lands are still relevant.

Sterks

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »
I make a suggestion:
Please in the following weeks can we somehow convince those who did prophecies/projections/speculations that seemingly come to happen, in whatever direction, to please refrain from posting messages of the sort "I thusly informed you" "I knew better" or the likes.
Not only they look utterly ridiculous, or their ego-driven argumentations are painful to the eyes.
The major problem: I for one can't refute their wrong arguments because it becomes an off-topic discussion very soon.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
I (and Jim too) have made some efforts recently to put a cap on that kind of polarizing stuff. We will continue to do so, but not at every turn. It depends.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
... prophecies/projections/speculations that seemingly come to happen ...
Fortunately, I've only stumbled onto (predicted) a 'measured truth' on these threads only once.  I may have crowed, but I'm sure I did so knowing its context.   

I'm forewarned: I promise not to guess right ever again.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Sterks

« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
I (and Jim too) have made some efforts recently to put a cap on that kind of polarizing stuff. We will continue to do so, but not at every turn. It depends.
Thank you. The impossibility of responding without immediately falling off topic drove me a little bit mad, and opening a new thread felt excessive.
Well, never-mind, this forum runs nicely without unnecessary confrontation.

J Cartmill

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2017, 08:24:52 PM »
NRL Images on the ASI graphs page have moved here:

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/arctic.html

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2017, 11:40:44 PM »
NRL Images on the ASI graphs page have moved here:

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBhycomcice1-12/arctic.html

Thanks, I'll update some time this week.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
I can no longer afford to visit the freezing season and similar pages owing to the high cost of loading moving images .. when I could click on images it was much better .. now 20 or 30 things may be loading simultaneously .. up to 7 k kb each .. this takes time and for me , money . Help !
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:45:13 PM by be cause »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this, be cause. I also prefer smaller images to reduce bandwidth, but that means more work for those making the images. Don't they have Internet subscriptions with unlimited traffic in Northern Ireland? Or is that much more expensive? Or do you live in a region where they don't have DSL yet?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1046
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2017, 10:03:56 PM »
when i am on a slow link, i look at the page with lynx, then download the images i want to see individually in a separate graphical browser.

sidd

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
But some people seem incapable of assimilating forum decorum, and immune to hints and public rebukes. Is perhaps the very point of contentless posts by certain newbie posters purely to gain a higher status? (I'm beginning to think I'd appreciate an Ignore button... ;) )

YES!!!! (Though I wish I could avoid temptation by "ignoring" whole topics. When I think something is flat-out wrong, it's too tempting ...)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
If you go to your profile and hover over 'Modify Profile', a menu opens with 'Buddies/Ignore list...' at the bottom. Click on that and you can add names of commenters to your ignore list.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
Neven,
On some occasions I would like to thank someone for putting information up or am tempted to reply to a post which seems to be inaccurate when more knowlegeable people can do it better.
The option of a like/neutral/dislike button on posts could also help avoid a red herring taking a thread off on a wild goose chase. It might be more sensitive to have "agree" & "disagree", or "+" & "-", or even a set of numbers between the two to give readers a sense of how others are considering the validity of posts?

(I should probably just resist temptation - much simpler!)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:57:57 AM by FredBear »

magnamentis

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
Neven,
On some occasions I would like to thank someone for putting information up or am temped to reply to a post which seems to be inaccurate when more knowlegeable people can do it better.
The option of a like/neutral/dislike button on posts could also help avoid a red herring taking a thread off on a wild goose chase. It might be more sensitive to have "agree" & "disagree", or "+" & "-", or even a set of numbers between the two to give readers a sense of how others are considering the validity of posts?

(I should probably just resist temptation - much simpler!)

i shall use any opportunity to second this request as i do for quite some time, the icons should just be of a non-provoking kind, not thumbs down for example, but could be a kind of question mark to express serious doubts or anything much better of that kind.

basically that would perhaps we worth a thread to gather ideas because i think the unfriendly kind of icons would not be worthy for discussions that are often about contradictory opinions and/or points of views.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
I've looked at this, but could only find a paid version (I'm Dutch and the Dutch are parsimonious). There's also something built-in that I could try. I'll have another look.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:24 PM »

Neven et Al. - I too am often tempted to add a "like" or "Thanks" or thumbs up icon but try to resist it unless adding a useful follow-up.

Another forum that I have followed in the past with many similar features & issues is nasaspaceflight.

A topic picked at random - shows how many likes the author has had, and how may likes this post has had.  A little icon at the top right if the reader wants to Like it too - don't know if it matters whether you are logged in or not for the stats.  I dont think it feature was here when I used it more in the past.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45178.0

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2018, 05:35:14 PM »
The built-in mod is called Karma. I'm not sure if that's what I would want. I'd rather have likes/thumbs up for comments only, not for members.

And I think this is the SMF Likes mod that Charles is referring to, and that can be bought. I don't mind the buying as much as having to pay every year for updates.

I'll see if there is anything else out there, but I don't think there is.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Pmt111500

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
I'd suggest a limit/day/nickname on likes and dislikes. Don't want any troll farms abusing this system, though I suspect you already have quite good systems against sudden massive numbers of new accounts.  ;) :) :o ::) :P :-X :-\ 8) ???

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
And I think this is the SMF Likes mod that Charles is referring to, and that can be bought. I don't mind the buying as much as having to pay every year for updates.

I've bought this package, but haven't yet succeeded in installing it. I'll let you know when I do.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
I've installed it and would appreciate feedback in this thread.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2018, 10:15:16 PM »
I've installed it and would appreciate feedback in this thread.

great you made it and thanks a lot to make the effort, works as expected ;) :D

Pmt111500

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2018, 06:45:38 AM »
The forum could use some sort of automatic program diminishing the size of images sent. Details maybe lost of course but it's easy to click on images to see full resolution in another window. I don't know if there are some add-ons that would do this, I mainly ask for my own laziness, photos from cameras and also from cell phones are commonly too large to display and send properly, and most of mine do not even have so much detail they'd need to be as large.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5277
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
I, and others, do worry about how the unread posts on the home page often get really cluttered up with the political stuff. But Neven has made it clear that he wants these issues discussed, and he obviously has the right to encourage this. After all - as the Yanks might put it - He is the man.

For me, the problem is often practical - my eyes are not as good as they used to be - it's called age, and I do miss stuff that would have interested me sometimes.

But what to do? The political stuff has a lot of customers. So does "cryosphere", so does ".AGW in general".

A solution could be to follow the organisation of the website - which is composed of three categories, namely -

- The Cryosphere,
- AGW in General,
- Off Topic,

and show the unread posts as now at the bottom but sorted into those three sections. Perhaps this would keep the various customer groups more content?

For this to happen requires -
- that Neven agrees that it would help,
- that Dungeon Master says it is not a big job to do.

Any comments.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
Any comments.

A very good idea
A very good idea indeed, and hopefully could be easy to implement. (I still think a politics forum would have been a better idea, but as you say, Neven is the man and it is his choice.)