Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 158881 times)

Pmt111500

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »
funny guests you have
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:27:30 AM by Pmt111500 »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
That's indeed funny, but what does it mean?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »
funny guests you have
At 6:09 AM, I'd guess it was a Troll, reading the forum all night long, forgetting time, who was suddenly hit by sunrise - so it was turned into a Guest Whose Activities Can't (and Shouldn't) Be Guessed.

My 2c
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
That's indeed funny, but what does it mean?

SMF Forum - nothing - or nothing you can see...

It can happen when an action does not have a 'who' variable set for it, so since SMF doesn't know what section of the board they're in, that is displayed.  This normally occurs with mods that haven't setup the 'who' variable for their action.

Not a big deal.  ;)
Cheers!
Lodger

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
I sometimes use the "Recent Posts" facility on the home page but its5 entries only cover an hour or so. Coult it be put below "Forum Stats" and"Users Online" and made much longer?
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Sleepy

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »
I'll second that Geoff, beeing rather off for a while.
And just make it a list, like on the front page. No need for the entire posts to be shown. Just the thread and commented by whom. At least 24 hours back.

Dundee

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »
If you click on "View the most recent posts on the forum" at the bottom of the stats section, you will see past posts, 10 per page, as far back as you'd like (well, so long as you only want to go back 100 posts).

theoldinsane

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
Why don´t use "Show unread posts since last visit"?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »
I sometimes use the "Recent Posts" facility on the home page but its5 entries only cover an hour or so. Coult it be put below "Forum Stats" and"Users Online" and made much longer?
There are a few buttons one can push, but I'll see what I can do, Geoff, as not having to push any buttons, is more efficient. I don't know if it's possible, though, so no promises.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3582
  • Likes Given: 3914
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »
I once pushed "mark all threads as read" button accidentally, to my great regret. Is it possible to add an "are you sure" question for this irreversible action?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »

I've increased the number of recent posts to 25, but don't know how to put them below 'Stats' and 'Users online' (would probably have to change something in the html, but don't know how to do that and don't have the time for fiddling).

But is 25 instead of 5 recent posts better?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »
Crossposting from Forum Decorum because (a) I'd forgotten this thread  :-[
and (b) it might get noticed  :)
I don't know if it's possible, or whether if it's possible it would be a good idea, but I for one would really like a 'Like' button. I often want to express appreciation of a post but don't because I don't want to clog up the threads. Other people are less inhibited. I reckon it would reduce the number of contentless posts.

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2016, 11:26:23 PM »

I've increased the number of recent posts to 25, but don't know how to put them below 'Stats' and 'Users online' (would probably have to change something in the html, but don't know how to do that and don't have the time for fiddling).

As a lurker, 25 is definitely better than 5. I also have favorite threads I like to view quickly.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2016, 04:28:58 AM »
For me, yes. Saves having to poke through sub-directories. Say for Greenland, with some of them going on an on about Zachariae, with 25 I can see if Jakobshavn posts have gotten buried.

I wonder though if there is some way to have a cut-off 1-2 per topic, for example for '2016 melting season' instead of the 8 up there now. Normally i would just go to the most recent post and work my way up through ones I had missed.

Sleepy

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2016, 06:18:43 AM »
I like what I see today and it's enough for me, thanks.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
Crossposting from Forum Decorum because (a) I'd forgotten this thread  :-[
and (b) it might get noticed  :)
I don't know if it's possible, or whether if it's possible it would be a good idea, but I for one would really like a 'Like' button. I often want to express appreciation of a post but don't because I don't want to clog up the threads. Other people are less inhibited. I reckon it would reduce the number of contentless posts.
And crossposting from the same thread, Tor Bejnar's response:

Last year, and probably before, some have asked for a "like" button.  I recall Neven sharing that the system we use here (don't know the techno-jargon) doesn't have the capability.
I have forgotten the details, so I looked into it again. It seems there is a mod to do something like this, but I don't think I could do it and would have to ask busy DungeonMaster to do it.

But as someone wrote in another discussion on the like mod:

What it's really difficult for me is to understand what is the difference between a "like" and a reply.
If I like a post I quote it and I state I like it, if I like or I'm interested in a topic I answer there. What does the "like" add to a conversation (that is the main point of a forum)? In my opinion...nothing...
So, is this really necessary?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »
Neven

Thanks. 25 is much better than 5
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
Neven:

No, not really. If people have time to push Like-buttons, they might as well go somewhere else, spend useful time there, and bring back additional new information to this blog/forum, which could enligthen us all.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
wow, does it take that long to push a like button? Maybe I am just too slow but when I look for information and put it on the forum it often takes me a long time. Maybe that is why I get annoyed with some chatroom type comment which took seconds to type and provides information only about some hunch or emotional response of the writer. At least if that person just pressed a like button it would not take up more of my time to scroll past it to find and read some previous informative comment by someone else.

Anne put it very well:
I too have felt this way and avoided expressing thanks and approval when a click on a button would have been a good way to show appreciation without being obtrusive.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »
Good arguments, Anne and Andreas. I'll ask DM what he thinks.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »

necessary would be a bit of a strong term, perhaps "useful tool" would be more appropriate, but it's providing the opportunity to express agreement and/or thanks without clogging the thread with quote+text. if a post earns 10 thanks/likes the message is clear and the author of that post knows that his contribution was welcome/well taken.

there are many enough forums with a thanks button, it also can and does add to measure the quality of content that a user is generally providing, visible in the ratio between posts and thanks/likes. this again can help moderate a lot.

one perfect example of this would be "XDA-Developers.com forum but there are many more, and in this context it has nothing to do with "friend" status like in facebook. it's a moderation tool after all, see attached screenshot and the link to see how it works. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=65135292

the example only should illustrate the way how it works and can look, not related to this forum in any way !

seaicesailor

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
If the alternative to the like button is to quote and show appreciation, then it would be great to have a like button.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
Not really necessary, just one I've seen work well elsewhere. I'm aware that posts that say nothing but "Good post!" or "Great charts!" can be annoying, particularly if people are reading on a cellphone. So a Like button may save a few centimetres on a thread.
It would be a pity if it turned things into a beauty contest, though.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
I shot off a mail to DungeonMaster, so we'll see what he says.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
Could I - in this case - suggest a "Trust"-button instead.

In many cases, I really dislike the content of the posts, but somehow trust the evidence presented.

Take the day when someone writes: "Fanta-Sea is bound to become ice-free over the next few days. Here is the evidence..."

I would not like to see any "Likes" in this case.

I also often run into this dilemma on LinkedIn, when the message is awful, but still very important to flag to others.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
About the Like button: of course I'm OK with it, as long as it is related to posts, not to posters.

Edit: can't install it right now, I have to change some permissions on some files first. Should come soon!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:12:04 PM by DungeonMaster »
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:23 PM »
About the Like button: of course I'm OK with it, as long as it is related to posts, not to posters.

Edit: can't install it right now, I have to change some permissions on some files first. Should come soon!

I like the "Plus" system over at WUNDERGROUND blogs. Easy and clear that it's meant for "good" posts.

Not only should that happen, but sometimes wish there was a way to do a bounty system for complex projects or other "work"/"projects" that posters do and wish to transfer real-world currency to them. Almost like Reddit Gold.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »
Just a thought: if the button is called "appreciated" it kind of combines "thank you" and "like it"

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »
How about limiting length of signature based on your ASIF status? So that a newbie cannot have a 10-line long signature and then fill up whole threads unthinkingly, before forum decorum is assimilated.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
How about limiting length of signature based on your ASIF status? So that a newbie cannot have a 10-line long signature and then fill up whole threads unthinkingly (my bold), before forum decorum is assimilated.
But some people seem incapable of assimilating forum decorum, and immune to hints and public rebukes. Is perhaps the very point of contentless posts by certain newbie posters purely to gain a higher status? (I'm beginning to think I'd appreciate an Ignore button... ;) )

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1046
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 08:40:46 AM »

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
check under "killfiles"

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,444.msg49157.html#msg49157
OK, thanks. I'll probably refrain from using it for now but it's helpful to know it's there. (See, this is where a Like/Appreciate button would work.)

magnamentis

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
How about limiting length of signature based on your ASIF status? So that a newbie cannot have a 10-line long signature and then fill up whole threads unthinkingly (my bold), before forum decorum is assimilated.
But some people seem incapable of assimilating forum decorum, and immune to hints and public rebukes. Is perhaps the very point of contentless posts by certain newbie posters purely to gain a higher status? (I'm beginning to think I'd appreciate an Ignore button... ;) )

and for this hinting at A.I.G. LOL i'd like to have that thanks or whatever the name will be button. have the same thought every day and just a few minutes ago, also that mulitiple posting in a row instead of adding additonal stuff to the existing last post is a "scroller" good day

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »
check under "killfiles"

I have been using this as discribed and it works very well, posts still show up as with name and time but just the text: You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.
by clicking on the second part I can still choose to read the post or wait to see if someone responds (more likely if it contains a question or comment of interest)

magnamentis

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
check under "killfiles"

I have been using this as discribed and it works very well, posts still show up as with name and time but just the text: You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.
by clicking on the second part I can still choose to read the post or wait to see if someone responds (more likely if it contains a question or comment of interest)

yep, a perfect solution IMO :-) thanks god in this great forum it has rarely to be used :-) my longest ignore list in a computer forum consists of  close to 100 names ( out of 7 million users ) haha.... here it's only "1" and certainly limited in time i think.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
Mentioning this to draw to people's attention to some really useful functions already here for writing your posts. In particular, some people overlook the availability of superscript and subscript buttons, which appear just after the motion button above the Compose box: helpful if you want to write 0Co, km2, or CO2:)

Not sure if they show up on mobile, though?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
Km2  300  H2O

Yay. Thank You Anne. Never noticed that.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestionsk
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2016, 01:50:27 AM »
You're welcome, Oren!

Also want to remind people about the message facility. Depending on what options you've ticked you may get an email but in any case keep an eye out for the signal by My Messages along the top left toolbar. It's really useful but easy to miss.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:56:06 AM by Anne »

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »
I should really ask this on the stupid questions thread, I guess, but anyway: is there a quick way to read the previous post when the previous post is on another page, e.g. go from comment#50 back to #49?

Sleepy

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
Would it be possible to restrict posting in some of the number reporting threads, like the home brew, IJIS and such? To minimize the workload, maybe only allow posting to the creator and then create separate discussion threads for them.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
Being a former long-time lurker, I noticed there are a lot of users that have either posted a couple times or not posted at all. Would it make sense to establish a thread inviting lurkers to make comments in a non-judgemental environment? Encouraging followers of the forum to take an active part in the discussion could be a net plus for all of us.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Although I'm not offended by the use of profanity in posts, I tend to avoid it when posting. I think using foul language to make a point tends to cheapen the message. What separates this blog from most others, is the relative civility and collegiality. I think the use of profanity reduces those positive attributes of the Forum. Am I the only one that feels that way?

Pmt111500

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
There's an ignore list if someone irritates you. You maybe on some.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
Although I'm not offended by the use of profanity in posts, I tend to avoid it when posting. I think using foul language to make a point tends to cheapen the message. What separates this blog from most others, is the relative civility and collegiality. I think the use of profanity reduces those positive attributes of the Forum. Am I the only one that feels that way?

No. I am in agreement if it is used as hominem.  Describing the situation that we are in though.... Sometimes I can't help it...

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
There's an ignore list if someone irritates you. You maybe on some.

If you have some constructive criticism to offer, I'm listening. Just send me a message, but you will also receive some back. Otherwise, feel free to put me on your ignore list.

magnamentis

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »

+1

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
And I am blissfully unaware.  I only ignore 4 people.  When used with discretion, ignore is a useful tool. 

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »
After observing Hudson Bay earlier today, I really wanted to comment that it looked like it had been b***h slapped, but after reading this discussion, I worded my post differently.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

johnm33

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2017, 11:10:50 PM »
I don't want to censor or critisise but with the main information threads perhaps we should try parrallel comment threads, l do want to know what others are thinking but it's easy to carry links across, and with a little discipline both 'camps' could be served.

magnamentis

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
I don't want to censor or critisise but with the main information threads perhaps we should try parrallel comment threads, l do want to know what others are thinking but it's easy to carry links across, and with a little discipline both 'camps' could be served.

whoever is posting thinks that he has something essential or worthy to say, hence who decides what's essential and what not and then the discussions about that and the poor admins who have to take side and make their points. i'm active in over 200 forums, mostly technology and philosophy and i can tell you from experience that this will never really work, no matter how good an idea that is. in short, i agree but have not seen it working anywhere, it ends up in cluttered threads with every other post telling someone that his post belongs to the Q&A or discussions thread.

EDIT: it's not over 200, it's 187 forums to be exact :-) thanks to excel row count it was easy to check quickly
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:44:59 PM by magnamentis »