Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What the Buoys are telling  (Read 943754 times)

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: What the Buoys are telling
« Reply #1350 on: June 02, 2017, 05:22:58 AM »
The obuoy14 movie has been updated.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1351 on: June 02, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
The obuoy14 movie has been updated.
Finally! Having watched it, I swear that the snow drifts change shape after each "fog" episode. Not sure if it means previous snow has somewhat melted, or if it's new snow, but it's certainly different.

josh-j

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1352 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »
The odd bouncy temperatures today are mirrored by bouncing battery voltages, high battery current and power draw. Obuoy 14 is struggling to stay alive I think.

High current draw could be due to extra sensors turning on; Ozone charts started updating on June 1st with a corresponding current draw for that in the Loads section :)

I'm more attached to this persistent little buoy than I ever was to the Mars rovers!

stonedwaldo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1353 on: June 03, 2017, 04:55:15 AM »
I agree that the temp spikes we have been seeing are related to some type of electrical issue, not actual temp changes or sunshine on the sensor. The increasing frequency of the temp spikes and recent spikes in battery current are also really not encouraging. Ghoti is probably right about #14 starting to die.
I wonder if the ozone sensor turning back on is related to increased sunlight intensity and extra current from the panels? I think the AGM battery pretty much gave out back in early April and is just buffering the panels. (The Co2 sensor gave out around the same time as the battery) The ozone sensor is one of the most power hungry devices on the buoy and the control computer could have sensed the weakness in the battery. Could the constant power and increased current from the solar panel have triggered an algorithm that reactivated the ozone sensor?

I've really enjoyed the nearly live images form #14 and look forward to watching the ice melt. With the temp spikes happening since April and the power issues not affecting the stability of the computer, I still have hope!

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1354 on: June 03, 2017, 05:07:58 AM »
Another indication of temperature spikes not being actual temperature changes is seen in the battery temperatures graph. The "bottom pack" temperature follows the "external" changes with a time lag and much lower amplitude as one would expect from an internal sensor due to heat transfer to outside and heat capacity of the buoys innards. When those spikes occur "bottom pack" never responds as much as when there is a more sustained raise to lower peaks.

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1355 on: June 03, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
Okay, maybe this belongs in stupid questions, but have been meaning to ask-
What does this graph actually tell me about the buoy's speed? (One has a notion that m/s doesn't actually mean "meters per second" LOL)

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 03, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
the graphing software could do with some improvements but I am glad we have data at all and don't want to complain, the people who run this understandably have other priorities I guess.
On the light blue bar below the header there is the "Time span" option, if you switch to one month or one year you see the scale change. These changes are inconsistent but maybe due to the narrow spikes, I don't claim to understand how this works.
 What matters for your question is that the label on the scale goes from 0.2 m/s to 200m m/s. When its written like that it becomes the more believable 20cm travelled in a second, 8 thumbs for those who prefer more archaic (mesopotamian?) measurements. Thats 17 km a day but not necessarily in the same direction. The GPS position hasn't changed in months, if these values are correct the ice is shifting slightly back and forth.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 03, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »
Another IR band image shows tall clouds (cold cloud tops) arriving from the south. Below these cold tops is warmer air which brought up temperatures at Obouy14 under still cloudy sky. The camera lens is I believe fogged up, relative humidity has gone up to a very rare 100%.
In brief: falling air pressure, cloud, warm air
What remains to be seen is whether the sky clears after this front and some of that sunny warmth seen further south reaches the Parry channel. When the surrounding islands are snow free, the serious warming starts.
Now we are getting the preconditioning which makes the snowcover on the ice more transparent and will increase absorption of sunlight in the ice and sea below.
PIOMAS is already showing thinning of the ice (from 2m at the start of May) by the way, I believe that would be bottom melt of the ice which is no longer cooled at the top surface rather than large energy input from above.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:23:45 PM by Andreas T »

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 03, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
as a reminder that there are other buoys in the sea (although not having cameras makes them less fun to watch)
plots of 2016S36 which is possibly getting into trouble where ice is pushed against the coast of Nordaustlandet (if I  remeber the name correctly)
http://data.meereisportal.de/gallery/index_new.php?active-tab1=method&buoytype=all&region=all&buoystate=active&submit3=display&lang=en_US&active-tab2=buoy

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1359 on: June 04, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
Okay, maybe this belongs in stupid questions, but have been meaning to ask-
What does this graph actually tell me about the buoy's speed? (One has a notion that m/s doesn't actually mean "meters per second" LOL)

I suspect the "100 m" on the Y axis is for "one hundred milli-" -- then the m/s makes sense.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 04, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
with dropping relative humidity the camera view at Obuoy14 is clearing (I'm still waiting for a better view to post an image) but Nullschool predicts wind from the north and temperatures have dropped a little. It will be interesting to see how the surface has changed when we get that clearer view, so please grab a shot when I am asleep here at UTC +1

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1361 on: June 04, 2017, 11:57:48 PM »
OBuoy 14 image
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 05, 2017, 01:47:09 AM »
And now a couple hours later, clouds blown away

Tfisher

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 05, 2017, 03:13:42 AM »
(Edited)
Some changes in the snow at Obuoy 14 over the last week.  This animated gif shows the same time of day for clear days on May 24, 28, and June 4.  The snow drifts are very noticably changed.  After watching the animated gif closely, I think it is new snow fall and drifts, not melting, that makes the difference.  The June 4 landscape is much flatter in the foreground.  In the middle distance is a dune that clearly grows from new snow.  And watching the ripples vanish in the foreground, I believe they get covered over by new snow, not melted away to flatness.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:34:35 AM by Tfisher »

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 05, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
I believe they get covered over by new snow, not melted away to flatness

It occurs to me that Resolute is just 100 miles east of #14 (actually a little bit north of due east) and I believe their weather reports are consistent with this observation.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/nu-27_metric_e.html

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1365 on: June 05, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
(Edited)
Some changes in the snow at Obuoy 14 over the last week.  This animated gif shows the same time of day for clear days on May 24, 28, and June 4.  The snow drifts are very noticably changed.  After watching the animated gif closely, I think it is new snow fall and drifts, not melting, that makes the difference.  The June 4 landscape is much flatter in the foreground.  In the middle distance is a dune that clearly grows from new snow.  And watching the ripples vanish in the foreground, I believe they get covered over by new snow, not melted away to flatness.

That happened last year several times as well -- there was snowfall as late as July 18.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 05, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
I agree that new snow is the best explanation for the smooth surface seen by the camera over a range of sun angles by now, thanks for those image downloads.
it is a bit surprising after those high temperatures but can't argue with the camera images, this shows how valuable this is as an additional source of  information.

Meanwhile nearer the pole 2017B has updated again (2017A too)
The air temperature graph shows warming around the 2. June but back below -5C. The bottom sounder shows a very slight reduction in thickness, temperature of the ice has gone above -4 throughout its thickness.

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
Okay, I am sure everyone has seen this already over at the main melting thread. Many thanks to bairgon for posting it.

Relevance to this thread:oh crap it sure looks like Baffin Bay is coming right up the channel after poor #14. This looks like 100 miles of fracturing opening up overnight, not much more than another hundred to get to #14's present location. And here I thought we were going to get to watch some melt ponds form, some nice in situ melting....  (LOL)

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
Okay, I am sure everyone has seen this already over at the main melting thread. Many thanks to bairgon for posting it.

Relevance to this thread:oh crap it sure looks like Baffin Bay is coming right up the channel after poor #14. This looks like 100 miles of fracturing opening up overnight, not much more than another hundred to get to #14's present location. And here I thought we were going to get to watch some melt ponds form, some nice in situ melting....  (LOL)
Look back at 2015: this area was completely open then, yet there where Obuoy14 is ice was breaking up in August. In the winter of 2015 a polynya was operating pretty much up to Resolute. In January ice usually keeps breaking up to the islands just west of Resolute (have to look at the band31 IR images in the darkness)
Sure its fun to spot something new and exciting and be the first to tell the others, but its also fun to look into the background and find out more about it (I think). But yes, I don't have as many friends as I might have in a "PHWOAR isn't XYZ amazing!!!" crowd. Guess I never liked crowds much somehow, my parents saw how nasty that can get and it must have rubbed off on me.
Sorry, I'm probably overreacting.
Back on topic: expect further break up up to those islands, how soon is not really predictable. Channels to the south will break up soon. Lots of surface water there on the southern NWP route.
The basin where Obuoy14 is is pretty tough this year, but there are cracks from earlier in the year where things will start to happen because they are covered with thinner infill.
Will it all disappear in two weeks? No way, not even four.

seaicesailor

« Reply #1369 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »
The last ten days or so of the 2017A temperature profile. Conditions are ripe it seems for both bottom and surface melting in this relatively peripheral location of the Arctic.
Actually the web page reports a minute bottom melting but no surface melting by virtue of the fresh layer of snow.
Will try to do the same plots for 2017B later on
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:25:01 AM by seaicesailor »

seaicesailor

« Reply #1370 on: June 06, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
Same for 2017B, starting from mid May to June 5. Thicker ice near the North Pole
Interesting how smaller the exterior fluctuations of temperature are near the North Pole compared to the buoy at Chukchi sea.

The water temperature under the ice takes a lower value of -1.8C consistent with the higher salinity at that location

seaicesailor

« Reply #1371 on: June 06, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
The profiles of the two buoys on June 5 for comparison

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 06, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
... This looks like 100 miles of fracturing opening up overnight, not much more than another hundred to get to #14's present location. And here I thought we were going to get to watch some melt ponds form, some nice in situ melting....  (LOL)
Look back at 2015: this area was completely open then, yet there where Obuoy14 is ice was breaking up in August. ....
The basin where Obuoy14 is is pretty tough this year, but there are cracks from earlier in the year where things will start to happen because they are covered with thinner infill.
Will it all disappear in two weeks? No way, not even four.
Looking at Worldview images back to 2012, the Obuoy14 area in the Perry Channel has broken up between mid July and mid August.  Attached file shows approximate break-up dates (and style of break up).
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 06, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »
S.I.S thanks for the wonderful buoy animations, Tor thanks for the comparison of O-buoy area to previous years. The depth of this forum is simply amazing.

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 08, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »
Just noticed that the O-Buoy 14's anemometer appears to be missing. I knew it hadn't been working for some time.

DuraSpec

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 08, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
Dear SeaIceSailor, Thanks so much for the time-series gifs on the 2017A&B profiles shown above! This method of presentation is incredible in my opinion and gives me the wonderful ability to finally visualise the energy movements and relationships depicted in the profile images.

I have no good idea as to how you did these, but then that's not my forte.

I eagerly await the possibility that this series could somehow be expanded to see both freezing and thawing cycles throughout a year - as much as might be possible.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words… but your two gifs above are worth a million or more in improving my ability, and hopefully many others, to conceptualise the energy relationships of the air, snow and water surfaces interaction with the specific ice being measured.

What really caught my eye is/was the way the middle areas, around 50cm depth, was much more active/reactive than I would have expected. I guess looking at graphs of only specific date comparisons hasn’t given me that understanding. ~ sincere thanks

The last ten days or so of the 2017A temperature profile. ....

Image below: 2017A_May25_Jun05.gif

Same for 2017B, ....

Image below: 2017B_clean.csv_05-15-17_06-05-17.gif

seaicesailor

« Reply #1376 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »
Thanks DuraSpec (and Oren) but doing this plots is pretty simple stuff, for the really scientific-level awesome things theres Wip and A-Team among others
I had no time to think much on the profiles to be honest, but one thing is that both buoys have relatively little insulation by snow on top (the one in the N. pole has almost none and the other a layer of 10 cm or so I think, recently increased a bit). That means the first 50 cm of ice react pretty quickly to change of outside average temperature... I have not noticed something particularly anomalous but as I said I have not looked at it with detail...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:50:16 PM by seaicesailor »

seaicesailor

« Reply #1377 on: June 13, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »
Latest 12 days of the 2017A buoy. The discontinuities that can be seen in the unfiltered signal are separated by two thermistors, that's 20 cm, really respond to the 15 cm of snow reported in the web page.
So the snow lasts even when there were several hours of over zero ambient temperature (as shown in the 2m DMI, in the buoy data itself, etc). Perhaps temps were just barely over zero and dropped almost daily. So snow resistance might be an example of the apparent lack of "Spring power"... anybody said "2014 syndrome"? "2014 High"? For how long? Top thermistor average temp is now well over zero.
There is a moment when the temperature of the water beneath starts to raise, then drop. Difficult to explain.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:49:15 PM by seaicesailor »

ktonine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 13, 2017, 11:45:16 PM »
There is a moment when the temperature of the water beneath starts to raise, then drop. Difficult to explain.

Having looked at a lot of buoy data over the past few years it's fairly common for the bottom temperature to fluctuate.  I've always attributed it to the changing salinity of the water beneath the ice.  As more ice melts more freshwater is added to the mix and sometimes it can take a few days for this to be dispersed and the 'normal' salinity returned. 

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1379 on: June 14, 2017, 12:42:58 AM »
I just spent the last 10 minutes looking at seaicesailor's animations. They are not only beautiful and captivating, they are extremely informative. Thanks SIS.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

magnamentis

« Reply #1380 on: June 14, 2017, 02:25:38 AM »
Latest 12 days of the 2017A buoy. The discontinuities that can be seen in the unfiltered signal are separated by two thermistors, that's 20 cm, really respond to the 15 cm of snow reported in the web page.
So the snow lasts even when there were several hours of over zero ambient temperature (as shown in the 2m DMI, in the buoy data itself, etc). Perhaps temps were just barely over zero and dropped almost daily. So snow resistance might be an example of the apparent lack of "Spring power"... anybody said "2014 syndrome"? "2014 High"? For how long? Top thermistor average temp is now well over zero.

convection, have swim in a pond and hold still, you gonna experiene intermittent cold and warm in fas succession 🙃

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:16 AM »
FWIW....    .....footprints? (Just watching.)

Chun_Kaoriina

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #1382 on: June 15, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »
looks like two bears to me – right? What is the dark line in the sky though?

Watching_from_Canberra

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 15, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
Wow - it sure looks like footprints.  Bear?

jplotinus

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1384 on: June 15, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »

I'm not sure if your query about the dark line in the sky is rhetorical or not? For the most part, questions about persistent contrails go unanswered because no one has any reliable information about them. Jet engines were engineered not to produce harmful exhaust as far back as the 1970's. Contrails that last for hours, spread and cause haziness over large parts of the sky do not appear to be harmless, but nothing very specific or exacting is ever said about them, so far as I know and I've searched.

epiphyte

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1385 on: June 15, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »

I'm not sure if your query about the dark line in the sky is rhetorical or not? For the most part, questions about persistent contrails go unanswered because no one has any reliable information about them. Jet engines were engineered not to produce harmful exhaust as far back as the 1970's. Contrails that last for hours, spread and cause haziness over large parts of the sky do not appear to be harmless, but nothing very specific or exacting is ever said about them, so far as I know and I've searched.

Could it possibly be a meteor trail? It looks too straight to have been there for very long. They do happen on occasion. It would be almost a shame to figure out the angles and rule this out as ludicrous - but how funny would it be if the sharp end is pointed straight at the site of the mysterious disappearing beaufort hole!

...but that's a flight of fantasy, of course. 10:1 it's a turbo-prop with an oil leak.

Chun_Kaoriina

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #1386 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »

Could it possibly be a meteor trail? It looks too straight to have been there for very long. They do happen on occasion. It would be almost a shame to figure out the angles and rule this out as ludicrous - but how funny would it be if the sharp end is pointed straight at the site of the mysterious disappearing beaufort hole!

...but that's a flight of fantasy, of course. 10:1 it's a turbo-prop with an oil leak.

I'm new here, so I guess I have to mention I don't believe in chemtrails&co. I'm a student for Meteorology btw
I wasn't expecting any civil flights over north pole, and the NASA mission is over, Meteor-trail sure sounds captivating. Also I'm not sure but it doesn't look like a normal contrail…

I am a bit disappointed, the bears didn't hang around for a photo shoot though  ;)

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
I am a bit disappointed, the bears didn't hang around for a photo shoot though  ;)

Me too. I've always hoped that some live creature would happen to be in the view at some point, but I really never thought I'd see it, or even tracks like this. I guess it makes sense, though -- a polar bear could spot this thing from some distance.

I have a fantasy about the Mars Curiosity rover, where the last picture sent back from it includes an indistinct dark shape that fills most of the frame, and then the signal goes dead.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1388 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:41 PM »
I've always hoped that some live creature would happen to be in the view at some point

A blast from the past for you:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/arctic-sea-ice-images/summer-2013-images/#OBuoy7

Scroll up a bit too!
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 15, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »
A blast from the past for you:

Perfect! What really strikes me about that image is how far out from land the buoy was at that moment. Just eyeballing it quickly, maybe 500 km? I knew that polar bears roamed far and wide over the frozen Arctic Sea, but this makes it more tangible. It's a good image to keep in mind when we're talking about record low September minimums, etc.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 16, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »
A clearer image of the footprints.

Eli81

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1392 on: June 17, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
That's hilarious!

I was looking at the CO2 data for the buoy today and noticed that it spiked to 3kppm on the 15th. I was going to come joke that perhaps a polar bear visited our favorite buoy, but it doesn't appear to be much of a joke. :D

josh-j

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1393 on: June 17, 2017, 09:56:50 PM »
The correlation between footprints and CO2 spike... I mean could it be? That is amazing!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
Heavy breathing into the instrument? Like a breathalyzer?  :D
If a photosynthesizing plant had sauntered by, the CO2 reading would have been especially low!   ;D

magnamentis

« Reply #1395 on: June 18, 2017, 02:27:00 AM »
Heavy breathing into the instrument? Like a breathalyzer?  :D
If a photosynthesizing plant had sauntered by, the CO2 reading would have been especially low!   ;D

perhaps it's unlikely but someone posted an image recently from a buoy with a bear standing directly in front (touching) and probably scrutinizing the buoy, hence however far fetched it might sound, as a layman i would not totally deny that possibility. ok i have to admit that i'm totally ignorant about how those sensors work and there measuring intervals etc. just sayin'

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1396 on: June 18, 2017, 04:30:08 AM »
As another layman, a bear grabbing onto the buoy and sniffing the CO2 meter and all the other parts of the buoy and walking away is hilarious!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:44:42 AM by Darvince »

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1397 on: June 18, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »
That's hilarious!

I was looking at the CO2 data for the buoy today and noticed that it spiked to 3kppm on the 15th. I was going to come joke that perhaps a polar bear visited our favorite buoy, but it doesn't appear to be much of a joke. :D

That's AMAZING :-)

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1398 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:09 PM »
Despite at least a week of 0C or nearly 0C weather Obuoy 14 is showing signs of light drifting snow - the bear footprints have all filled in smoothly as viewed from the webcam.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 20, 2017, 11:04:13 PM »
Meanwhile in Hans Island (Nares Strait), 6o of latitude further north, temps have been consistently much higher in the past few weeks. Admittedly the strait is mostly ice free, but I still find these temps quite surprising.