Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What the Buoys are telling  (Read 943740 times)

Watching_from_Canberra

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What the Buoys are telling
« Reply #1150 on: September 08, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
i don't know whether it's any more accurate, but the obuoy site is showing it slightly further to the east (into the strait) - perhaps closer to the compacted ice?

it has been a fascinating journey - i wonder where it will be spending winter?

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1151 on: September 08, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »

I suspect we will never know, unless they go and pick it up as they did O-Buoy 4. I think the Li batteries are only good for the first winter, so after that it's solar power until it's too dark for that. If I remember correctly, October of the second year is the latest that any of the buoys reported.

This should be the end of the O-Buoys. The 2015 deployment was the last one according the the project website (http://www.o-buoy.org/?page_id=152):

These will be the last deployments with the currently funded project.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1152 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »

I suspect we will never know, unless they go and pick it up as they did O-Buoy 4. I think the Li batteries are only good for the first winter, so after that it's solar power until it's too dark for that. If I remember correctly, October of the second year is the latest that any of the buoys reported.

This should be the end of the O-Buoys. The 2015 deployment was the last one according the the project website (http://www.o-buoy.org/?page_id=152):

These will be the last deployments with the currently funded project.

What a pity.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1153 on: September 10, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
Can somebody with better knowledge of Li batteries explain what this is showing? At the moment the solar panels seem to charge the batteries to some extent but should the voltage be higher? When the time span of the graphs is set to 1 year it shows the lithium battery voltage dropping from above 14 to below 12 V during April and May, i.e. while the solar panel where providing energy.
I hope it will wake up again for a few more days!

edit:  it just did!

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1154 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »
The Li batteries are good for one winter only.  It runs on solar panels until the sun goes down.  Maybe we will get lucky and have it winter over someplace where it will get sunlight in the spring and come back to life again.  But it looks like what killed the others was mechanical damage letting in sea water that corroded things so they didn't work.  The basic components didn't fail it was corrosion from sea water coming in the opening from the sheared off instrumentation.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1155 on: September 10, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »
My little buddy ITP 93 has decided to go retrograde and head north. You'd think all that Fram export would  send  93 south south south , but no.

rog

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1156 on: September 11, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
LAND HO?

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 11, 2016, 06:44:36 PM »
can you explain how you arrive at the number and the arrows?
using wfC's method instead of my own flawed attempt (thank you, this worked better when we had exact location from ITP89) I think it is actually closer to land but not in the direction the camera is looking. UTC23:16 makes it local time 15:16 at 120deg west. Judging from sun angle the camera is looking west, out towards the Beaufort (or is that the CAB?)
Another method would use the Azimuth given on the GPS page but I know from previous attempts that the direction the camera is looking is not the same as Azimuth, so some kind of calibration would be necessary. At the time of the photo you posted,rog , it was about 200deg now it is just below 300.

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #1158 on: September 11, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »
Low pressure just north of the CAA and high pressure over NW Siberia has reversed the ice flow direction blowing the buoy and ice towards the pole. This weather pattern has pretty much stopped the ice compaction that was lowering extent.

Note the GFS forecast 10 days out shows brutally low pressure developing north of the CAA. I wouldn't place any credence on the forecast's details but I will be looking for another possibility of intense storms this September that may impact the month's sea ice averages.

rog

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 12, 2016, 12:37:11 AM »
Reply to Andreas T

Looking first at the image, I thought maybe that is land. Maybe not.
First, using ruff coordinates as 75 deg N and 120 deg W, I positioned O-Buoy14 on Worldview.
Next, I noticed that the sun was off the image to the left confirmed by the shadows.
next I went to Nullschool and followed 120 deg W. It goes through California. I'm located in California and it was early afternoon, placing the sun west of south.
Looking again at Worldview, It all fit.

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1160 on: September 12, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
Looking first at the image, I thought maybe that is land. Maybe not.
Not. The features you indicate are contiguous with the sea ice in the foreground, which means the top of them is no more than a metre or so above sea level.  The camera itself is mounted a metre or two above sea level.  The horizon itself is a maximum of ~15 miles away, and these are well inside the horizon.  For the sort of wide angle lenses used on these buoys, I'd guess whatever you're looking at is no more than a hundred metres or so from the camera.

rog

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
I should have done a better job of placing the arrows.
The red line is approximately sea level
With earths curvature line of sight at 45 miles can only see above ~500 ft elevation.

It sure looks like land to me.

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 12, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
Not convinced - I see one single almost-flat field of sea ice, with an arbitrary red line drawn near the horizon.

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 12, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
http://obuoy.datatransport.org/monitor#buoy14/weather

We've lost the wind speed and direction.

Will this let in enough sea water to render the electronics inoperative?

Time will tell.

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:41 AM »
Good pic this eve from O-Buoy 14.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1165 on: September 15, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »
Nice! You should post this on the Arctic image of the day thread.

Adam Ash

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The 100 metre line
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1166 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
OB14 74 43.95N - 120 27.95W at 20160913 031624
Land on the given azimuth is 37.7 km away, and altitude near that coast is around 34 m ASL. 
Allowing 2 m camera height, distance that land could be seen from is 21.4 km.  Not yet.

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 15, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
I see that the movie has been updated, showing a position a little farther southeast: 74°31'13"N 119°42'49"W -- that would make the distance to the nearest point on land less than 30 km.

It looks to me like there are some higher elevations -- rising to 200+ m -- within 20 km of the coast. And the camera appears to be facing SSE, given the arc of the moon in the movie and very little change in the azimuth since then.

Watching_from_Canberra

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 15, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »
I wonder whether the camera's azimuth is the same as the GPS instrument's azimuth?

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 15, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
OB14 74 43.95N - 120 27.95W at 20160913 031624
Land on the given azimuth is 37.7 km away, and altitude near that coast is around 34 m ASL. 
Allowing 2 m camera height, distance that land could be seen from is 21.4 km.  Not yet.
As I have mentioned before, azimuth is not the direction the camera is looking (although this would seem a reasonable choice) Checking with sun and time of day the difference is clear, I expect this to be a fixed angle for the lifetime of the buoy so any date should produce the same angle.
I picked this one from the movie:

at 3o'clock UTC the local time is roughly 18:00 at 137 deg west so sun is due west as shown with the yellow dot. The camera looks fairly straight at the sun, Azimuth 172 deg!

PS back to buoy data: the rise in temperature earlier today is surprising, pity we no longer have information on wind. It jumped from -10 to -3 starting the rise in darkness. With the surrounding land covered in snow that would suggest some air coming in from further away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:12:23 PM by Andreas T »

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: September 16, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
Looks very much like land on the left side of the picture, with open water in front of it reflecting sunlight -- possibly in or just outside one of the two bays (Mercy and Castel) on the north side of Banks Island.

I think your idea that the azimuth reading isn't where the camera is pointing, but is at some fixed angle to that, makes sense. What that angle is I haven't been able to figure out. What looks very likely though is that buoy is no longer rotating freely, but is locked in with the ice around it, only slowly changing azimuth as that ice pack moves. Based on what we've seen of sunlight and the moon on one night, the view has been more or less southerly for the last several days.

Movement continues toward the east. It will be interesting to see how far into the CAA it goes before we lose track of it. It's the first O-Buoy to enter the archipelago.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1171 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:22 PM »
I might be persuaded that I can see land in the background of this one. What does the team think?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 18, 2016, 01:22:07 AM »
The low dark line along the horizon could be land I think. The camera is looking south to southeast from previous observations and the roughly 90deg offset to the azimuth I have worked out before, and the map shows 300m high ground in that direction, which is still 25km away guessing from the overview position.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 18, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »
another shot from today, at UTC 2000 i.e. local midday, the sun shows where south lies. The buoy continues to drift eastwards so the high ground is further to the right than it was yesterday. Azimuth has increased slightly which means the camera panning to the right too.
To identify exactly what part of the coast we are looking at in this, position and viewing angle would have to be worked out more accurately.
A narrow gap can be seen in the ice nearby which does not freeze over in the warm temperatures. That air temperature stays near 0deg even overnight surprises me, it is a consequence of the cloudy sky, with the clouds coming from a southwesterly direction where open ocean keeps air temperatures above the freezing point.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:01:20 PM by Andreas T »

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 19, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
Here we have a shot of the moon. I used a sun/moon position calculator (http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/suncalc.htm) and for this lat/lon (estimated from graphs) and time it said the moon's azimuth should be 244 degrees. Given the azimuth reading from the graph I would say that the offset for the camera azimuth is probably more than 90 degrees, more like...110? I wish we had lat/lon coordinates in real time rather than just on the movies.

In any case I'd say we are looking WSW here, so that the closest point on Banks Island is out of view to the left.

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #1175 on: September 19, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »
Appears to be in view now.
FNORD

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1176 on: September 19, 2016, 07:06:18 PM »
Finally: I do believe this is a genuine "Land ahoy!" from the O-Buoy boy.  (There is a stalwart young man on the buoy sending us these pictures, isn't there?)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 19, 2016, 07:25:29 PM »
I agree, this is unmistakably land. I also agree with 244deg azimuth for the moon at 14:00 UTC. I don't know how to gauge the angle the camera is viewing i.e. how many degrees of azimuth lie between the right and left edge of the image?
It seems we were lucky that the buoy was panning right just as it drifted past the north-east corner of Banks island which now lies further to the west than when it first appeared in view.

The clearer sky will help charging the battery but charging time is getting shorter. I expect temperature to drop when it gets dark if the cloud cover stays as sparse as this.

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 20, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »
The path of O-Buoy 14 along the M'Clure strait has been interesting up to this point, roughly matching the contour of the northern coast of Banks Island. Coincidence? Or is the island's coastline affecting the path of the buoy, by blocking ice flow to the south, steering currents, etc.?

Based on the forecast I would expect that the buoy will continue east, but move closer to Melville Island in the next few days. That's just considering wind direction, though. Perhaps ice both to the north and south will keep the buoy more or less in the middle of the strait.

My guess is that O-Buoy 14 will send its last signal from the Viscount Melville Sound in October. I'm going to have to find a new hobby.

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 20, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »
Quite possibly a view of Melville Island now from O-Buoy 14. There is some ground higher than 500 meters near the southwest coast of the island, and the camera should be facing NNW.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »
While it is still transmitting there is information to be gained from Obuoy14s sensors: Temperature is still quite high, going above 0oC during daytime and only dropping briefly during the night. Night being identified by the battery voltage indicating no charging from the photovoltaics.
The low drop on the 20. was shorter than the night, possibly because of fog or clouding over.
This ice is not just moving along the strait there is some churning motion with this (as has to be expected ). Signs of that are the rapid change of Azimuth on the 19th and the sudden change in roll on the 20th.
In the camera images this is reflected in the changes along the older fault in the mid distance around the 19th and a change on the 20th in the scenery near the buoy. The flat slab sticking slightly above the surface which is seen on the left in the image posted by woodstea above was on the right when solartim posted on the 19th

A clear shot of McClure strait yesterday also shows more fluid ice drifting along the northern side  of the strait

Another thing seen on MODIS is that snow has melted on lower ground on Banks and Victoria islands
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:55:13 AM by Andreas T »

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 23, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
"movie" has updated to the 22.9.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
The sun is shining on our buoy today:
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 24, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
the updated movie gives us a position for 18:30 on the 22nd which is close to the overflight of the AQUA satellite at about 20:00. I have marked it in the picture with a dot with an arrow to help find the dot.
http://go.nasa.gov/2dpVdV7

Yesterday it has drifted closer to Melville island but is looking in the wrong direction.
Clear sky overnight has dropped the temperature to -5oC despite the open water nearby.
see http://obuoy.datatransport.org/monitor#buoy14/weather

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #1184 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
Trying to guess what is going on with salinity as well as heat at the start of the freezing season and these instrumented buoys really are invaluable but it is obvious there are too few of them to get a good picture.

Presumably this is limited by funding? What is the outlook there? This is important science. Could someone give a ballpark estimate on how much it would cost to deploy 100/year? 1000/year?

Watching_from_Canberra

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 26, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »
There seems to be a reasonable number out there, all with different sensors though:
http://iabp.apl.washington.edu/maps_daily_map.html

The O-Buoy project is the only one I've really followed though, probably because a picture (webcam) is worth a thousand words.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 26, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
I'll just guess while wait for someone knowledgeable...  :P

For say $20 million, could 1000 bouys with temperature sensors, salinity measurement, maybe currents vs. depth, and even webcams  :) be deployed towards the end of the melt season - where most could just be dropped down on the Arctic ocean by a ship?

That would be e.g. $10,000/bouy + $10 million extra costs.

If so then that would be a relative bargain in my opinion given the importance of the science.

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 26, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
http://www.chrispolashenski.com/docs/a57a149.pdf
Paper from 2011 - the production cost current buoys is $35,000 dollars.

http://www.epic.noaa.gov/SEARCH/obs/workshop/reports/rigor.pdf
Report from a few years ago pointing out that the deployment costs are far higher than the buoy costs.

https://www.nsf.gov/about/congress/109/alb_icebreaker_092606.jsp
Testimony to Congress pointing out that the operating costs for an Arctic mission with icebreaker support are in the regions of $20-$30,000 per day.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
http://www.chrispolashenski.com/docs/a57a149.pdf
Paper from 2011 - the production cost current buoys is $35,000 dollars.

http://www.epic.noaa.gov/SEARCH/obs/workshop/reports/rigor.pdf
Report from a few years ago pointing out that the deployment costs are far higher than the buoy costs.

https://www.nsf.gov/about/congress/109/alb_icebreaker_092606.jsp
Testimony to Congress pointing out that the operating costs for an Arctic mission with icebreaker support are in the regions of $20-$30,000 per day.
Thanks Peter, that is very helpful.

That's actually in the ballpark of what I thought. Quite reasonable that $35,000/buoy would drop to $10,000/buoy for bulk production of 1000 buoys. Deployment over 100 days with those operating costs would then be $2-3 million.

The red text is important. The deployment costs will almost be fixed - presumably increasing only slowly with the number of buoys deployed as they will anyway cover about the same area of ocean. It's highly non-optimal then to spend only a small fraction of the budget on the buoys themselves - better to spend ~50% on buoys to allow deployment of a large number of them.

That is good value for the importance of the science. It should be done!  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:37:05 PM by slow wing »

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 26, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
The reports from the scientists deploying these things seem to indicate it can take a few days to find an appropriate floe to drill through and place a buoy, and a day or so to set it up and calibrate it. 10 per day doesn't look feasible to me. Think also about how much cargo space each requires, and how many you can actually take with you per trip - the sheer physical logistics of deployment.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 26, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
The British Antarctic Survey recently installed a number of "low cost" IMB buoys in the Arctic, plus a CRREL buoy.

http://www.ice-arc.eu/2016/08/11/blog-buoy-deployments-in-the-arctic/

Unfortunately I cannot make head nor tail of the publicly available data from the BAS as yet!

http://frazil.nerc-bas.ac.uk/ice-arc/index.php

The CRREL buoy has yet to show up on their page, which has been AWOL for weeks.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 26, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »
Thanks for the links Jim. I can't see a cost there but a bulk deployment makes a lot of sense to me.

The reports from the scientists deploying these things seem to indicate it can take a few days to find an appropriate floe to drill through and place a buoy, and a day or so to set it up and calibrate it. 10 per day doesn't look feasible to me. Think also about how much cargo space each requires, and how many you can actually take with you per trip - the sheer physical logistics of deployment.
As I suggested, the first issue can be avoided if (at least most of) the buoys are dumped in the water near the end of the melt season and the ice allowed to freeze around them. Deploying an average of 10 per day in this way should be doable.

The buoys can be shipped to the Arctic by container ship. A 40' shipping container is either 66 or 78 m^3 (web search returns both numbers) so, depending on the size, each one should hold some tens of buoys ready for deployment. Let's assume 40 buoys per container, so 1000 buoys would require 25 containers. Then that would require picking up and deploying one container worth of buoys every 4 days.

I suspect that a lot of vessels would be available for hire that could deploy them over much of the Arctic Basin during the melt season - it need not require a full ice breaker and could be more than one vessel. Such vessels also could transport the buoys to the ice breaker for deployment from that.

So the numbers still seem reasonable when written out on the back of an envelope. It's probably worth fleshing it out a bit more to see whether there is a show stopper or not.

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
Taking the idea about just dropping off Buoys at the end of the melt season to have them be incorporated in the ice as it freezes.  With increasing ice free areas why not make self propelled Buoys and just put them out to sea to hold station where we want them to freeze in at?

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1193 on: September 26, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
Aren't there buoys that are used to study the MIZ that are deployed by dropping them from aircraft?

The whole process of having to search for and pick ice floes "that are suitable" for deployment makes them unrepresentative samples. Buoys that can be deployed in water and allowed to freeze in seem more suitable for random or representative sampling of the Arctic.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 26, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »
Yes, these are good ideas!

As a valuable complement to the array of surface buoys, presumably the existing Argo drifter-buoys/program could be encouraged to extend into at least some of the ice-free parts of the Arctic during the  melt season. Argo is the main source of information on current, temperature and salinity profiles in the world's oceans but the graphic doesn't appear to show any deployed in the Arctic Basin.

http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(oceanography)

This .pdf flyer - http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/Argoflyer_final.pdf - which appears to be from 2003, gives a cost of $15,000 per drifter and $20-25M/year to deploy 825 floats/year. That's broadly similar to the costs assumed above.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 27, 2016, 01:34:50 AM »
  An important point I missed is, for buoys that can be dumped in water then frozen in place,  icebreakers could deploy such buoys all over the Arctic and in all seasons simply by throwing them overboard in the cleared path in the ice behind the ice breaker.

In more detail, for deploying a large number of buoys in a single run then the buoys could instead be deployed from a freighter following an icebreaker. This gets around any potential issues of limited storage space in an icebreaker.

So rapid deployment of a grid of such buoys over the entire Arctic Basin should be doable.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:44:41 AM by slow wing »

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 29, 2016, 11:45:58 PM »
Obuoy14 seems to have been covered in drifting snow, not only has the camera lens been covered, the PV panels are not charging the battery either. This could be the end of the season, just when it is looking towards land (Melville island) again.

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #1197 on: September 30, 2016, 12:26:03 AM »
Almost, but not quite:
FNORD

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 30, 2016, 04:36:03 PM »
And more sun today. The temperature is pretty low, though. Note the drop in battery current (ed: which is concurrent with the disappearance of ozone data, perhaps because they shut off the sensor, or else low temps or damage caused it to fail).

I checked the sun azimuth at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/azel.html and found that at this time it would have been at roughly 97 degrees, so the camera is looking more or less east.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:20:59 PM by woodstea »

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 30, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
Nice sunrise shot! The buoy azimuth from the graph is about 340deg so we have to add 117deg to that to get the right edge of the camera view.

The lower current clearly helps to keep battery voltage from dropping below 12V (and shutting down the buoy)

Looking at the position of the buoy on the overview I think we are seeing a part of Melville island on the horizon. Distance to land is probably down to not much above 10km but the buoy is not looking towards the nearest coast.

There have been some jolts to the buoy recently and there is open water just in front of the camera to the left. Pity there is not a clearer view of what is happening next, at this air temperature I would expect that water to freeze over.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:18:49 PM by Andreas T »