Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Home brew AMSR2 extent & area calculation  (Read 1974277 times)

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home brew AMSR2 extent & area calculation
« Reply #2900 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Plenty of related along the ESS-Laptev fast ice edge.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2901 on: March 19, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »
Perhaps it is fixed now

My first link leads to the NetCDF files, but if you click through my second link to the AMSR2 images I can still only access the SSMIS ones. The "Ice-Conc-Amsr" product menu option doesn't currently exist as far as I can tell.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

epiphyte

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #2902 on: March 19, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »
If you have panoply installed you can plot from the .nc file. E.g. here's one from from ice_conc_nh_polstere-100_amsr2_201703181200.nc (yesterday) with the scale set to show maximum contrast in the range 88-100% (i.e. everything under 88% is dark blue)...

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 19, 2017, 11:15:17 PM »
If you have panoply installed you can plot from the .nc file.

I do have Panoply installed, so sure. I've even been beta testing some improvements. Nonetheless it does still seem as though the OSI-SAF web site is somewhat broken in the AMSR2 department.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2904 on: March 23, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
In case anybody wonders: second day without the usual data update from Uni Hamburg.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 23, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
I'd noticed that too Wipneus!

Meanwhile OSI-SAF tell me:

Concerning the ice type product, there is as you point out a systematic problem that gives multi-year ice in some young ice areas, and we are working on improving that.

and

Concerning the new AMSR2 product, we will provide a quicklook archive of product images as for SSMIS. This should be available in a couple of weeks.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2906 on: March 29, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
Data stream is back with an address change to:

ftp://ftp-projects.cen.uni-hamburg.de/seaice/AMSR2/

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2907 on: March 29, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
The crack in the ESS is getting real wide. The Laptev fast ice is torched.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2908 on: March 29, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »

I guess it starts with a bang... that is quite the drift

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2909 on: March 29, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
Does this image have enhanced contrast or is it really that bad?

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #2910 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »

Wow! So what is happening here?

EDIT: U. Bremen's AMSR2 concentration map for 2017-03-28 is also showing the loss - with around 75% concentration in the fast-ice region of the Laptev Sea that has gone dark in Wipneus' graphic.

Is it melt ponds or is there actually no ice over around 25% of that region?

Options:
A. We're only just past the equinox, there presumably won't be enough sunlight to cause melt ponds, fair?
B. But it's plausible that winds could have melted some snow cover?
C. Alternatively, the ice could have been in such a poor state that the winds tipped it over the boundary to where much of it is no longer classified as ice cover?
D. Or it might be tearing in the wind and now full of micro-cracks?

Anyone more knowledgeable have a take on which of the options is most likely?

The screenshot is from Nullschool at 12:00 UTC on 2017-03-27.
The illustrative chosen point in the Laptev Sea with the green circle is showing 25 kph winds at -2.6 degrees C.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:52:06 PM by slow wing »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #2911 on: March 29, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
The crack in the ESS is getting real wide. ...
Last year about this time (and basically for two months) winds were pushing Beaufort Sea ice toward the East Siberia Sea (ESS), opening the Beaufort early.  It is starting to look like the reverse may be happening this year.

This is probably premature, but would an ESS opening early or Beaufort Sea opening early affect the CAB differently?  (I'm thinking in terms of a "Laptev Bite"-like phenomenon).
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2912 on: March 29, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Yes, these images are enhanced in contrast so it is not as bad as it looks.

For the new readers here: we see this torching in the AMSR2 ASI images every year but a completely satisfactory explanation is not given (to me at least).

Melt ponding: unlikely at the current temperatures; NSIDC is normally the most sensitive to surface whetting, yet nothing is to be seen there.
Clouds/water vapor: unlikely as it would increase (whiten) apparent sea ice concentration.

Most likely (IMHO) explanation is some form of snow fall and/or a malfunctioning of the ASI algorithm here.

Not withstanding that we do not know exactly what it causes, we have learned to associate these "torchings" with warming events (but not necessary enough for melting )

seaicesailor

« Reply #2913 on: March 29, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
There might have been some rain or a brief period with conditions near zero, which at least affects the snow blanket. Not as bad as contrasting implies, but it may qualify as pre-pre-conditioning (half kidding)
Edit. Well there you go, thank you Wipneus

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #2914 on: March 29, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
Wipneus and SeaIceSailor,

Thanks for your comments on the potential causes of the concentration loss observed in the Laptev Sea.

Yes, a snow/rain connection looks reasonable: toggling to the "3-hour precipitation" option on Nullschool and stepping through the 3-hourly displays does indeed show precipitation of order 1 mm (which could be ~1 cm if it fell as snow) drifting over the region around that time.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2915 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
There might have been some rain or a brief period with conditions near zero, which at least affects the snow blanket. Not as bad as contrasting implies, but it may qualify as pre-pre-conditioning (half kidding)

That's exactly right. It's called melt onset, and once the pre-pre-condition snow/ice is hit with shortwave radiation (sunshine) things can go really fast.

So, the worse thing that can happen on the Siberian side of the Arctic, is for all the anomalous heat, clouds (downwelling longwave radiation) and early opening up, is for a high to move in next.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

JimboOmega

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2916 on: April 04, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
BTW... under what circumstances does Wipneus provide the numbers? Or are they no longer relevant/being produced for some reason?

I used to look here first, to see the ice volume of the day...

Jim Williams

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2917 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »

That's exactly right. It's called melt onset, and once the pre-pre-condition snow/ice is hit with shortwave radiation (sunshine) things can go really fast.

So, the worse thing that can happen on the Siberian side of the Arctic, is for all the anomalous heat, clouds (downwelling longwave radiation) and early opening up, is for a high to move in next.
I was looking at nullschool with the high in the west and low in the east that are attempting to setup....and thinking that would be worse.  Not if they are transient, but if they get stuck.....

RikW

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2918 on: April 04, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »
BTW... under what circumstances does Wipneus provide the numbers? Or are they no longer relevant/being produced for some reason?

At least for PIOMAS aftr they are uploaded which happens once a month in the first couple of days of the month on the webpage of the science center that produces those numbers. And they uploaded them a couple of hours ago I think, so I guess Wipneus will update his graphs in a couple of days/ hours

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #2919 on: April 04, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »
PIOMAS for March:

JimboOmega

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2920 on: April 11, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »

At least for PIOMAS aftr they are uploaded which happens once a month in the first couple of days of the month on the webpage of the science center that produces those numbers. And they uploaded them a couple of hours ago I think, so I guess Wipneus will update his graphs in a couple of days/ hours

I misspoke when I said volume - I meant ASMR2 Extent & Area (what this thread is for).

I used to look forward to the numbers - including the breakdown by basin. A little tick on a NSIDC chart is not nearly as nice :).

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #2921 on: April 11, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
You can find the full data on Wipneus' site, arctischepenguin or something like that. I have it bookmarked.

schnitm

• New ice
  • Data Geek
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2922 on: April 13, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »
Was poking around Wipneus' site.  He shows an 8 sigma event in Sea Ice Area Anomaly last year.  8 sigma is astronomical, probability in the rage of 10^-15.  Really just doesn't happen in stable systems.  Of course the system is not stable.  there is clearly a slope and considerably more 2 and 3 sigma events than there should be since 2006 and there is clear autocorrelation.  So it might be a 6 or 7 sigma event in a system in decline.  Even than, this graph is the most terrifying thing this statistician has seen here, a high negative sigma event in an autocorrelated declining system.  All things are possible but that looks to me like a crash is around the corner and this is global!

https://14adebb0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/sea-ice-extent-area/grf/nsidc_global_area_normanomaly.png?attachauth=ANoY7cp3xOtJ_nLfDpNZdtu7-xMj-WeKmBBkX1cZ2oA23rK_tsFAoTTMYLP4oEvlhyjruLrOVo1c9qKKhng9bTtH6rB1N25DEIb2a_VJmmAzboSL72bB6kZpsrQe895zExE6wVgqxjNIxgK2lwu0bJhqTVZWxSWj0KOFja65JVx3QMyob4sr1GeDaFMbxIC8xUEH0HeZgJ1XG21T8dcm23FA1oNiui68U9GLX0VkHUgudVwJD_hjcc7FUAn3j4FE9520ep65ZieczoGMOQGcZuOICLL43s9RfhGlbQVSbi9GFAOgq6EteRA%3D&attredirects=0

Dundee

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2923 on: April 13, 2017, 05:20:10 AM »
As a bored, retired, and concerned quantitative analyst, I took a deep dive (well, deep for a home PC) thru NSIDC extent last year. Because 'standard deviations' against anomalies relative to a long term average in the presence of a known long term declining trend are problematic, I regressed day-wise and looked at residuals. Record minimums were not striking, because the natural variation at the end of the melting season is at its highest. What really stood out was the marked dip in as melting took hold. Dispersion has historically been very low that time of year - the residuals peaked higher than they'd been thru the entire satellite record, remained when short term variation was filtered out, and stayed high for weeks. Turned out that 'high sigma' (no real justification for treating the distribution as normal, it isn't really) negative excursions were much more frequent than expected - there was a secondary peak in the distribution.

I bounced the timing of the excursions against a number of factors and influences and came up completely blank for a common driver. It appeared negative excursions are becoming more frequent, and less likely to be coincide with isolated extreme weather events (as at least one of the extreme record minimums was).

I haven't cranked in the last six months of data, but am confident if I did the picture would not be pretty. I have no idea why things are unfolding as they are, but my gut feel (how's that for a statistical term of art) is that we are picking away at a wall between a well behaved noisy decline, and a new set of behavior driven by newly triggered rules. There has been a lot of discussion about just what constitutes an "ice free" Arctic - I've maintained when it comes, it will be obvious and there will be no need to wonder if five years or whatever are appropriate to confirm the event is not just system noise. I don't expect this year to be ice free, but would be surprised if next autumn we end up looking back on a boring, back-to-the-trend line melting season.

Back to topic, the great thing about NSIDC is its deliberately consistent approach across nearly forty years of data. I see AMSR2 becoming critical - in the current environment it is very possible it (and eventual successors) will be all we have to work with. I recall the gap in U.S. operational weather satellite coverage after the first Shuttle loss. We are potentially looking at something more profound, but adopted as policy rather than thru accident.

ktonine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: April 13, 2017, 05:43:52 AM »
I haven't cranked in the last six months of data, but am confident if I did the picture would not be pretty. I have no idea why things are unfolding as they are, but my gut feel (how's that for a statistical term of art) is that we are picking away at a wall between a well behaved noisy decline, and a new set of behavior driven by newly triggered rules.

Yes, that seems most likely scenario.

I recall the gap in U.S. operational weather satellite coverage after the first Shuttle loss. We are potentially looking at something more profound, but adopted as policy rather than thru accident.

Problematic, but the EU will probably not let that happen - and one has to wonder if the Chinese have something they'd contribute that we don't know about.

Dundee

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2925 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:08 AM »
No, this one is all on the U.S.

I am not comfortable drawing any statistical inference from a cyclic data set until I have something like 30 cycles to work with (100 is better, at 500 I can be specific). The NSIDC data is a rare bird - a quality data set with detailed global coverage covering nearly 40 years. Even so, I would not yet hazard a guess whether the declining trend is linear or just what.  If I do 30 year cuts at five year intervals, in two more years I will have only three NSIDC data points to work with . . . .

The current administration can draw a line under NSIDC data with a stroke of a pen. It would have to actively support the program to get the next set of sensors on orbit - something that so far as I know is not currently programmed - in order for us to say not only is ice declining, but state with any confidence how it is declining, on the basis of 50-60 years of data. It hurts that, just as NASA/Icebridge is beginning to do detailed work to validate and improve understanding of the fine structure of satellite measurements, the proposed budget would essentially end the whole line of research (that is to say polar ice in it's entirety, not just Icebridge specifically).

There is no good way to splice AMSR2 back to NSIDC data. If JAXA keeps sensors up, and can make them directly comparable across generations, we are still looking at 30 years before we can say things about JAXA data that we can today about NSIDC trends.

It is very probable that by the time we can say with confidence the rate of JAXA area/extent drop is linear, increasing, or decreasing, there will no longer be summer ice to measure and the question will be moot.

Human activities to influence the trend are, as I believe you are saying, another matter. The U.S. was long the largest economy in the world. It is now number three, and despite the bluster, there is no sign the trend of its influence will turn around any time soon. The current administration is on a path to last at best four years and in any case, the rest of the world is continually gaining leverage to influence U.S. behavior. There is hope (but way off topic here).

schnitm

• New ice
  • Data Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: April 13, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »
My gut agrees with Dundee's gut.  Doesn't mean it's going to happen, you know what they say about statisticians.  However, this data looks like what I've seen in data when looking back prior to a large state change.  Like the rules are about to shift dramatically.  Predicting future states that have no historical precedent is very hard though.  So who knows, maybe -  maybe not.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2927 on: April 18, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
Chukchi-ESS 2017 compared with 2016. Although some characteristics appear similar, the 2017 images show more breaking and "torching".

Click that image to start animating.

iceman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2928 on: April 18, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
Not to get too anthropomorphic and all, but it does look like 2017 is staring in gape-mouthed, sweaty-browed horror at the condition of the Bering Sea ice.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2929 on: April 19, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »
Similar comments can be made for the situation in the Canadian Archipelago.

Click for an animation.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #2930 on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »
Nares has suddenly cleared.

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: April 20, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Nares has suddenly cleared.

In the post-BREXIT UK, some might see that as another export opportunity.

Killian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2932 on: April 27, 2017, 02:57:40 AM »
I bounced the timing of the excursions against a number of factors and influences and came up completely blank for a common driver. It appeared negative excursions are becoming more frequent, and less likely to be coincide with isolated extreme weather events (as at least one of the extreme record minimums was).

Did you try it against El Nino? Everyone says there is no correlation. I disagree. I suspect they're looking at it too narrowly. When I looked at EN's going back to the 1950's, there was an eyeballed correlation with with new lows or near new lows either the year of the EL or the summer after. I did a post on this in the August 2015 Unforced Variations thread (under the same user name, Killian) at RealClimate dot org. (There are two siilar posts... one more detailed than the other and setting out the theory.) I predicted new lows or near new lows for 2016 and/or 17 based on this correlation, et viola. Depending on which data sets you look to, we had lows or 2nd lowest on all three measures, I believe. While year-to-year variation is quite high, and signs from the Arctic are mixed, we may see more new lows this summer. If we get a good bit of wind blowing down the Fram, look out!

Interested to hear what you have to say on this.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2933 on: May 01, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
Hello,

Here is an update of my graphs. Average extent is not only very low, it is also quite a lot under the trend, about 50% under the standard deviation. This is not a surprise.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2934 on: May 13, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Sea Ice concentration in the Canadian Archipelago region. Ice leaving Amundsen Gulf, cracking of the ice in the Basin, the collapsing arch in the Lincoln Sea and the big float spinning in Kane Basin are clearly visible.

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2935 on: May 24, 2017, 06:07:47 AM »
Will the daily numbers start up again come June 1st?

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2936 on: May 28, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
Area and Extent 20170527 compared with previous years (for 2012 using SSMIS data) :

Extent: -33.6 (+760k vs 2016, +290k vs 2015, -152k vs 2014, -459k vs 2013, -275k vs 2012)
Area: -65.3 (+722k vs 2016, +95k vs 2015, -137k vs 2014, -450k vs 2013, -185k vs 2012)

Today a "torching" event in the Beaufort is visible.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2937 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
Awesome. Thanks, Wipneus.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Shared Humanity

« Reply #2938 on: May 28, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »
I understand that the Beaufort extent at this time is higher than 2016 but that animation of fragmented ice moving easily across the entire sea is quite frightening.....all of it FYI. The Beaufort will be entirely ice free before the end of the melt season and it will occur very early.

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #2939 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »
Shared Humanity, depending on the weather conditions I would say that Beaufort might be open extremely early and allow for a huge amount of heat being absorbed by the open ocean which should have a significant impact later this fall and early winter there.

magnamentis

« Reply #2940 on: May 28, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »
Shared Humanity, depending on the weather conditions I would say that Beaufort might be open extremely early and allow for a huge amount of heat being absorbed by the open ocean which should have a significant impact later this fall and early winter there.

this and there will be no thick ice (like big block) to cool down the ocean this time. it will simply be gone for good.

Thawing Thunder

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2941 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »
Wipneu's blue NSIDC area line crossed the 2016 AMSR2 line, the JAXA line could follow. Just the 2017 AMSR2 line ist not yet willing to follow south.

Are these indications for a June-cliff?
The Thunder was father of the first people, and the Moon was the first mother. But Maxa'xâk, the evil horned serpent, destroyed the Water Keeper Spirit and loosed the waters upon the Earth and the first people were no more.

seaicesailor

« Reply #2942 on: June 13, 2017, 10:17:19 PM »
Who knows. Let's watch how it unfolds  :)

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2943 on: June 14, 2017, 07:16:24 AM »
The data from Uni Hamburg has been disrupted the last few days (2017-06-7 is last reliable).
Hope it will be restored soon, similar data from Uni Bremen (AMSR2 ASI 3.125km) indicates that some serious melting is taking place:

Regional Arctic Sea Ice Extent and Area calculated from Uni Bremen ASI AMSR2 concentration data
See ub_am2_3.125_arc.txt for more details
Date: 2017-06-13 12:00  Values in 1000 km^2

Extent (value, one day change):
   Central Arctic Basin       East Siberian Sea              Laptev Sea
          4424.3   +4.9            835.3   -6.4            649.5  -15.9
               Kara Sea             Barents Sea           Greenland Sea
           620.9  -18.7            224.9  -26.6            525.1   +6.6
Baffin/Newfoundland Bay            St. Lawrence              Hudson Bay
           654.7  -51.5             21.2   +7.3            828.7  -45.7
   Canadian Archipelago            Beaufort Sea             Chukchi Sea
           686.7   -6.3            384.7   -7.8            312.0  -17.6
             Bering Sea          Sea of Okhotsk                   Lakes
            35.6   +8.1             33.2   +2.6             78.9  -45.6
          Other regions       Total (ex. lakes)
           118.6   -4.9          10355.4 -172.1

Area (value, one day change):
          4352.6  +23.3            787.5   -8.1            606.1  -15.9
           507.3  -31.0            151.7  -19.0            434.6  -20.1
           564.8  -41.2              8.5   +3.8            602.5  -75.1
           645.9   +0.2            348.2   +1.5            294.5  -11.2
            13.9   +1.9             15.0   +1.5             49.0  -17.2
            44.6   -3.2           9377.8 -192.7

Thawing Thunder

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2944 on: June 14, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Uh, almost double century drops. If those persist, something serious is going on.
The Thunder was father of the first people, and the Moon was the first mother. But Maxa'xâk, the evil horned serpent, destroyed the Water Keeper Spirit and loosed the waters upon the Earth and the first people were no more.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2945 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:05 AM »
Uni Hamburg still struggling.

Meanwhile Bremen AMSR2 ASI 3.125km sea ice concentration shows extent and area still going downwards fast:

Regional Arctic Sea Ice Extent and Area calculated from Uni Bremen ASI AMSR2 concentration data
Date: 2017-06-14 12:00  Values in 1000 km^2

Extent (value, one day change):
          4412.4  -13.2            835.2   -0.7            643.7   -6.9
           607.9  -14.9            221.3   -5.7            518.2   -8.4
           656.4   -0.8             25.7   +1.5            782.3  -49.8
           684.5   -6.8            382.7   -2.6            307.8   -4.7
            30.8   -6.5             24.7  -11.1             76.6   -5.4
            93.6  -35.1          10227.2 -165.7

Area (value, one day change):
          4315.5  -38.2            788.5   +0.5            596.1  -11.0
           499.6   -9.4            156.2   +3.4            430.1   -5.6
           543.3  -23.4              9.0   -0.5            591.0  -13.5
           648.3   -2.1            346.5   -2.2            292.9   -2.0
            12.5   -2.1             10.0   -6.0             47.6   -2.6
            32.4  -16.0           9272.0 -128.2

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: June 15, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
Uni Hamburg still struggling

Where might one be able to find "ub_am2_3.125_arc.txt"?

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #2947 on: June 15, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
Where might one be able to find "ub_am2_3.125_arc.txt"?

Local file on the raspberry server. I do not calculate the Bremen data every day, and do not upload them to the internet.

Hamburg manages to produce data for 12,13 and 14th May (8-11 still missing). Here is a large animation of those three days. Rubble here, torching there. Looks more like August than June in places.

Click to animate.

Chuck Yokota

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2948 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
You do mean June rather than May, don't you?

magnamentis

« Reply #2949 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
You do mean June rather than May, don't you?

not sure but i think he meant what he wrote but the dates were for june not for may, why should he post 1 months old data today, as i said, just assuming from logic but facts may tell another story, let's see what wip has to say.

howerver, these anims show very well how much of the 100% extent is really 100% hence what
those number at this time of the year and nowadays are (not) worth LOL

i love this gif, tells a big tale.