Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Maps  (Read 26766 times)

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
Re: Arctic Maps
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »
It appears I didn't mention here the Windytv.com website with awesome presentations of wind, temperature, waves, precipitation and pressure forecasts.

has been mentioned and used to post images a few times in the past but it's a such an extremely nice and useful tool that it's certainly good to bring it to more users by regular re-mentioning :-)

Feliz Año :-)
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:56 PM »
Dragons that once appeared on maps of the Arctic apparently now only live in the Southern Ocean near Australia.

Zoe Della Vedova
Incredibly rare ruby sea dragon has been caught on camera for the first time

It's even more beautiful than we imagined.
CHRIS PASH, BUSINESS INSIDER
14 JAN 2017

A type of seadragon known only from museum specimens has been seen in the wild for the first time in deep water off Western Australia.

Two ruby seadragons were observed for nearly 30 minutes, uncovering new details about their anatomy, habitat, and behaviour.

The researchers from the University of Western Australia, the Western Australian Museum, and Scripps Institution of Oceanography used a mini-remotely operated vehicle in waters more than 50 meters deep near the Recherche Archipelago off Esperance.

Here’s the footage:

https://youtu.be/Bp5w4HjoaJM

Alright, I'm not really convinced early map makers were referencing the same or similar species to these small creatures now known to science.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
Cross-posted old map
epiphyte: definitely unprecedented in recorded history.

From one of my articles - http://www.science20.com/chatter_box/arctic_ice_july_2010_update_3_0

The map shows what was considered to be an average minimum, i.e. summer  ice extent in 1939.

be cause

• ASIF Citizen
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
I notice pack ice reaches to almost 85' N of Svalbard . Permanent sea ice appears to cover less area than in my old school Atlas from 1975..
be the cause of only good
and love all beings as you should
and the 'God' of all Creation
will .. through you .. transform all nations :)

logicmanPatrick

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 02:56:45 AM »
So extensive and dangerous a work

Eleven nations established 14 principal research stations across the Polar Regions. 12 were in the Arctic, along with at least 13 auxilary stations. Over 700 men incurred the dangers of Arctic service to establish and relieve these stations between 1881 and 1884.

source:
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/arctic-zone/ipy-1/Frontpage.htm
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »
Svalbard and Franz Josef Land (FJL)

The Norwegian Svalbard archipelago was known as Spitzbergen before 1925 and includes the island of Spitzbergen.  The Russian military's Franz Josef Land archipelago is also know as Franz Joseph Land and (less often) Franz Josef(ph) Islands.

(Bottom map of both archipelagoes is from a cruse company's PR map)
Svalbard:

A cool map of FJL from an 1894-97 expedition is too big to show as an image.  An FJL sketch map is depicted below.

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »
Svalbard and Franz Josef Land (FJL)
A cool map of FJL from an 1894-97 expedition is too big to show as an image.  An FJL sketch map is depicted below.

you can send me the image so i can gonna make it smaller for you if you like, assuming that you're talking about file size not image extent :-) however that as well could be fixed/altered, just in case you're interested.
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »
Thanks, magnamentis.  From above, here is the "cool map of FJL from an 1894-97 expedition is too big to show as an image."  Click for enlarged, and much better looking, version.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
This isn't an Arctic map, but some may find this cross-post helpful:
There is a mix of ice shelfs here: Only the first picture shows the Shackelton Ice Shelf, the others show the West Ice Shelf where a large ice berg is finally breaking apart after staying put for at least 25 years.

All of the above images show the Shackleton ice shelf.  The West ice shelf lies between Amery and Shackleton and is not shown above.  Please see the image below.

The ice island in Shackleton is sometimes known as Pobeda ice island: it is mentioned in my article The Amery Zig-Zags.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
Crosspost plus Greenland map image (rotated - 'up' is to the right).  Click on links for 2 versions of map with scale.
'coastal topography'
http://membrane.com/sidd/greenland-2013/45-270.jpg
http://membrane.com/sidd/greenland-2013/large-1-text.jpg
I've yet to find better detail.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2017, 01:48:06 AM »
maps, more maps, I want more Arctic maps... (I'm writing for the thread, not my insatiable appetite.)
Here is a map of the Western Arctic region displayed ...

johnm33

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
couple of interesting links, the first shows bathymetry worldwide reasonably well, but with too little detail for the shelves, the second is one of a series of 16 gives a slightly improved veiw but again lacks detail, and stops at 750 N/S
http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/globe.html
http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/jpg_images/topo4.jpg

gerontocrat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »
maps, more maps, I want more Arctic maps... (I'm writing for the thread, not my insatiable appetite.)
Here is a map of the Western Arctic region displayed ...

You could try contacting the Royal Geographical Society in London( RGS.org ). they've got heaven knows what in their archives.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
Nordaustlandet (northeast land) the second largest of Svalbard’s islands.

From a Royal Geographical Society's webpage:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:23:13 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
Here is a map showing the islands near Obuoy #14 in the Canadian Archipelago. (cross post from the Buoy thread) [Edit: revised map from revised Obuoy post]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:09:16 PM by Tor Bejnar »

sqwazw

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 06:20:16 AM »
Not exactly a map, but it is pretty. Heres an exaggerated relief map of the bering strait, (High summer in 2021 by the looks of the ice):

Credit to reddit the front page for upvoting this.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
cross post:
Hans Island is composed of Silurian aged limestone, per this  1931 map (via Geo. Survey of Denmark)
(Interesting that Petermann Fjord had a different name then.)

gerontocrat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
cross post:
Hans Island is composed of Silurian aged limestone, per this  1931 map (via Geo. Survey of Denmark)
(Interesting that Petermann Fjord had a different name then.)

Has the limestone gone dolomitic? Memories of breaking my hands and heart breaking up some of it in the Forest of Dean, England.
ps: These old maps are wonderful, made by true Mariner Masters.