Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Cars, cars and more cars. And trucks, and....  (Read 305246 times)

etienne

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • About energy
Re: Cars, cars and more cars. And trucks, and....
« Reply #2350 on: September 13, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
Don't know how things work in the US, but in Europe, the first registration of the vehicle is a different process than a change of owner. Change of owner will still be possible, but not first registration anymore. Let's hope they won't change their mind.

My experience is that after 10 years, I have more costs than the value of the car.

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 13, 2017, 10:53:56 PM »
Bob, I believe etienne referred to registration of new vehicles, not resales and second-hand cars.

Bob Wallace

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 13, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »
Bob, I believe etienne referred to registration of new vehicles, not resales and second-hand cars.

I asked what he meant. 

I don't know why people would stop buying ICEVs years before it was impossible to register a new ICEV.  In fact, I would expect a rush to purchase and register large numbers prior to the cutoff date.

(That's assuming that EVs are not as cheap or cheaper than ICEVs by that time.)

numerobis

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: September 14, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
People will be buying fewer ICEVs because EVs are better for their needs, and that'll snowball into making ICEVs less convenient for others.

This is what you've been preaching for years, do you suddenly no longer believe it?

Bob Wallace

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
People will be buying fewer ICEVs because EVs are better for their needs, and that'll snowball into making ICEVs less convenient for others.

This is what you've been preaching for years, do you suddenly no longer believe it?

Preaching for years?  I've been talking about robotaxis potentially cutting deeply into private car ownership because phoning for a car should be so much cheaper.  But short of the potential disruption of robotaxis I don't see EVs lowering the purchase of cars overall.

Separate out the robotaxi, shift to EV stuff. 

If it's going to be impossible to register ICEVs starting in 2030 I would expect the ICEV holdouts to stock up on them in the last year or two.  Like what we saw with people putting away cases of incandescent light bulbs when they were being taken off the market.

etienne

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #2355 on: September 14, 2017, 07:31:31 AM »
Well, in Europe, we don't drive so many miles than in the US. I have like 40 miles to drive every day to and from work. Major shopping areas are like 5 to 10 miles away from home. Furthermore if you have the ban of ICEV downtown, this would make these cars quite useless.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 14, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »
Must remember, scheduling is done on Elon time.  Which is curved, I think. ;)

Tesla Semi is a ‘beast’, says Elon Musk – unveiling of electric truck pushed to Oct 26th
https://electrek.co/2017/09/13/tesla-semi-unveil-unreal-beast-elon-musk-oct-26th/

But seriously:  "Tesla truck."  That was practically unthinkable, even a few years ago!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Buddy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 14, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
Samsung now has a lithium ion battery that will deliver 435 miles before needing a recharge.  I believe it is very likely that someone will exceed the 500 mile barrier BEFORE 2018 ends.  And maybe more than one company.

That will give EV's a BIG push forward.  And it will also translate into pushing wind and solar energy as well.  Saudi Aramco really screwed the pooch by waiting so long to go public.
FOX (TASS) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 14, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
Samsung now has a lithium ion battery that will deliver 435 miles before needing a recharge. ...

Be wary of this claim.  According to the Electrek article, Samsung released no specs -- no kWh, no energy density, etc.  And if that's supposed to be an NEDC range, the real-world range will be much less.

Battery improvements continue, no argument there.  Everyone would like to say they have the next breakthrough!

Samsung unveils new electric car batteries for up to 600 km (430 miles) of range
https://electrek.co/2017/09/13/samsung-electric-car-batteries-range/

Bob Wallace

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 14, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
Samsung now has a lithium ion battery that will deliver 435 miles before needing a recharge. ...

Be wary of this claim.  According to the Electrek article, Samsung released no specs -- no kWh, no energy density, etc.  And if that's supposed to be an NEDC range, the real-world range will be much less.

Battery improvements continue, no argument there.  Everyone would like to say they have the next breakthrough!

Samsung unveils new electric car batteries for up to 600 km (430 miles) of range
https://electrek.co/2017/09/13/samsung-electric-car-batteries-range/

Correct, be wary.  You could make a 500 or 1,000 mile range EV with anyone's batteries.  Just put enough in the vehicle.  Look at the range of ranges that Tesla has with the same batteries.  The S40 had a 160 mile range and the S100D has a 335 mile range.

What we need for more range is 1) higher capacity per weight (and volume) and most important 2) lower cost per kWh. 

What we're looking for is a better chemistry or other improvement that will boost capacity.  And we'll probably see those batteries used first in cell phones and laptops.  They will probably be more expensive at first and more acceptable in applications where the number/amount used is small.

And we're looking for larger scale manufacturing  to bring down the cost of manufacturing batteries.  As Tesla and other battery manufacturers go giga on us we should see batteries drop significantly in cost and the cost of manufacturing EVs drop below that of ICEVs.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 14, 2017, 06:49:45 PM »
Must remember, scheduling is done on Elon time.  Which is curved, I think. ;)

Tesla Semi is a ‘beast’, says Elon Musk – unveiling of electric truck pushed to Oct 26th
https://electrek.co/2017/09/13/tesla-semi-unveil-unreal-beast-elon-musk-oct-26th/

But seriously:  "Tesla truck."  That was practically unthinkable, even a few years ago!

Oh, right!  Elon will be in Australia the end of September, for the Astronautical conference (presenting his updated Mars project plans).  And now, also to unveil the giant Tesla battery installation in South Australia! 
Would need his Iron Man suit if he were to also be in California for a Tesla truck reveal. ;)

Australia:
Tesla is holding a ‘celebration’ event at its new giant Powerpack project on Sept 29
https://electrek.co/2017/09/13/tesla-celebration-event-giant-powerpack-site-sept-29/

Bob Wallace

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 18, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
Gravity powered truck.

A quarry in Switzerland is converting a very large dump truck to batteries and electric motors, ditching the diesel engine.  At the quarry the truck will be loaded and then travel downhill with its load. 

Via regenerative braking the truck's batteries should be charged sufficiently to power the now empty truck back up the mountain to be reloaded.

If the idea works as engineered then the quarry will convert several other trucks and a very large amount of diesel fuel will not be burned.

https://electrek.co/2017/09/17/electric-dumper-truck-worlds-largest-ev-battery-pack/

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 18, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
Gravity powered truck.
Nice idea.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 18, 2017, 03:55:57 PM »
Many more, please!  Soon!

Two electric school buses, powered by Motiv Power Systems, go into service in California
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/two-electric-school-buses-powered-by-motiv-power-systems-go-into-service-in-california/

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 18, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
Teslas as taxis in Dubai.  Not self-driving yet! (But there's a little video of what they think that would be like.)

Dubai takes delivery of their first 50 Tesla vehicles to create a ‘self-driving’ taxi service
https://electrek.co/2017/09/18/tesla-vehicles-dubai-taxi-service/

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: Today at 03:57:46 AM »
Can long-range trucks be far behind?

All-electric bus travels record 1,100 miles on a single charge
https://electrek.co/2017/09/19/all-electric-bus-travels-record-1100-miles-on-a-single-charge/