Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: 500 members  (Read 2898 times)

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
500 members
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »
Congratulations all, we now have 500 members; 0.000007% of planet Earth.

Vergent

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: 500 members
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
Go forth and multiply!  ;D

I wonder if we'll ever reach 1000 members... Maybe if there's another crazy melting season.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
We're the problem, you see.  Think how many BTUs we're using to read all this stuff about Arctic ice, getting educated and sharing worthwhile stuff (so we say).  With a 'growth' mentality that Neven's dream (nightmare?) exposes, we'll be using twice the energy, and some of it will be from evil coal (or is it evil natural gas today?). ;)

Oh, and congratulations, Neven, on almost being found!  When you have a million followers, life will be different! :-\
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:09 PM »
Neven,

Consider that only 8 months ago this forum only existed as an idea in your head. The growth rate is infinite!

I am reminded of my first day in Korea and visiting a doctors office and opening up a laser and seeing my invention that made that laser practical. Leaving through the waiting room I saw the children with birth marks on their faces that that laser was going to remove without a trace. It was in that moment that I realized that I had changed the planet. I also remembered the time when it was just an idea in my head.

The changes you are making are not so fast and not so visible, but they are just as real, and more important in the long run. Some day you will be in a far off land and you will pass a news stand and see on the front page of a newspaper an image from your blog/forum under a headline you can not read. The pipeline of ideas that you have created reaches into every mind on the planet, the fruit is just yet to ripen.

Vergent