Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Fukushima leak emergency: LIVE UPDATES  (Read 111090 times)

ggelsrinc

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fukushima leak emergency: LIVE UPDATES
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »
You can't fix stupid!

Those nuclear reactors should have never been designed.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
bligh, don't forget that there are many voices in Japan, and many of them were raised against many of these nuclear plants as they were being planned and built. Not all Japanese have short memories, far from it. But moneyed interests supported by the gov (paid off by the same) generally take the day over more reflective and insightful types.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
Well they started removing the fuel rods.  It will take a year to get them all out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24958048
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »
Ok.  Now I am truly gobsmacked!

The other day we find out there have been 3 damaged fuel rods in the reactor 4 cooling pool from before the earthquake that were never removed and dealt with.  One since 1982.  Think that sounds bad?

We now learn that there are 70! damaged fuel assemblies in spent fuel pool #1.  And 3 damaged assemblies in pool #2 and 4 damaged assemblies in pool #3.  For a grand total of 80 damaged fuel assemblies.  Makes you wonder how many other damaged assemblies there are at the other plants in Japan (and perhaps the rest of the world?).  What else do you suppose is messed up there that we have not heard about yet?

Maybe I should clean the bunker up a bit.
http://fukushimaupdate.com/tepco-admits-80-spent-fuel-assemblies-had-damage-before-nuclear-accident/
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

domen_

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
These damaged fuel rods happen from time to time. At the moment in my country (Slovenia) our single reactor is shut down for re-fuel and they also discovered several damaged fuel rods. They say this happens because of strong water flows for cooling. These damaged rods are left in reactor and they're removed at decommissioning (at least in theory, since very few plants have actually been decommissioned yet).

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
Of the four damaged assemblies in pool#3 , I  wonder how many of those are damaged MOX fuel assemblies ? 

http://nuclear-news.net/2013/06/29/lethal-mox-fuel-to-be-removed-from-fukushima-reactor-no-3-starting-in-2020/

johnm33

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2013, 12:56:56 AM »
This article http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/12/fukushima-radiation-something-else-causing-mass-die-wildlife-pacific-ocean.html
says itself it may not be about fukushima, and I'm pretty sure we [uk] had a very similar starfish die back early this year, but it seems something radically different is occurring in the pacific.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2013, 05:16:16 AM »
Ocean acidification?  Perhaps that could be a possibility.  Maybe Bruce will chime in as he is very up on that subject.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »
JimD, During both big ENSO events we saw starfish die-offs , they kinda rot, their arms fall off. The difference now is these are cold water conditions, kelp is very healthy, things look good. The die-off during 1997-98 was a vibrio infection. In the lab you could infect a healthy starfish and it would develop lesions then rot. Up until a month ago I wasn't seeing a problem but I have heard it's in Southern California now. Came from the north, also kinda weird .  Still don't know what's causing this event but if it was the same vibrio I think researchers would know by now. Upwelling starts in the spring so conditions not currently acidified.Not thinking it has anything to do with Fukashima. How are the starfish in Japan by the way? Sorry , don't know yet.   

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
bligh, don't forget that there are many voices in Japan, and many of them were raised against many of these nuclear plants as they were being planned and built. Not all Japanese have short memories, far from it. But moneyed interests supported by the gov (paid off by the same) generally take the day over more reflective and insightful types.

Hey Wili

Point well taken.  The money interest you pointed out, are in my opinion whats destroying our planet.  I've seen here, on this forum and on tv and other media the words "we are addicted to oil and other fossil fuels. This point kinda enrages me, I'm not well balanced in my thinking about this.  It's most definitely  not a demand side issue....it's a supply side issue.(or money issue)
If one's dog has eaten canned moist food his entire life one might reasonably think he's addicted to it, however if one where to remove the canned food for several days, then replace it with a less palatable dry food, eventually the dog will eat it...and so would we.

I know I'm off topic here, but I had to spit that out cause it's been buggin me.

So, tanks for listening Wili

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »
You're welcome. :)

I have probably used the 'addiction' analogy (it actually first occurred to me in the '80's). But even using that analogy, it should be pointed out that most people blame pushers and drug king pins (and stupid policies) for actual epidemics of drug addiction more than they do hapless junkies.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »
YIKES!!!

Record outdoor radiation level that ‘can kill in 20 min’ detected at Fukushima

...on a duct which connects reactor buildings and the 120 meter tall ventilation pipe located outside on Friday. TEPCO measured radiation at eight locations around the pipe with the highest estimated at two locations - 25 Sieverts per hour and about 15 Sieverts per hour, the company said.

This is the highest level ever detected outside the reactor buildings, according to local broadcaster NHK. Earlier TEPCO said radiation levels of at least 10 Sieverts per hour were found on the pipe....

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-radiation-record-outdoor-912/

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
YIKES!!!
This is the highest level ever detected outside the reactor buildings

Oh, I'm sure there's nothing to get our knickers in a twist about. Naturally, if the situation was improving, radiation would be increasing, right?  :-[

johnm33

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
The ground water around the plant seems to be rising and falling with the tides too, this suggests to me that rapid erosion could happen soon, washing all the fines out from the soil.
http://fukushima-diary.com/2013/12/groundwater-level-of-more-area-starting-to-be-in-sync-with-ebb-and-flow-of-the-sea/

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »
The ground water around the plant seems to be rising and falling with the tides too, this suggests to me that rapid erosion could happen soon, washing all the fines out from the soil.
http://fukushima-diary.com/2013/12/groundwater-level-of-more-area-starting-to-be-in-sync-with-ebb-and-flow-of-the-sea/

OMG how horrible. when is the prediction for the entire plant sliding into the sea?

Good news, fuel rods are moving from the Unit 4 pool to the main storage pool.  Whew that was a big worry.

AND, btw, they have begun remote decontamination work on the main floor of unit 3 having cleared the floor of debris.

Good to see progress being made.

In related news, Tepco has fired up a new coal fired plant Hirono Unit 6, which they explain has coal supplies for over 100 years... excellent for more uranium and thorium pollution of the surrounding areas.

and so it goes

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
Another new report on extremely high radiation levels.  This time in the water underneath the facility.

Radiation 36,000 times permissible level found in water at Fukushima plant

FUKUSHIMA -- The operator of the disaster-hit Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant said on Dec. 2 that it has detected radioactive materials that topped 36,000 times the permissible level in underground water extracted in the area.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20131203p2a00m0na011000c.html

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
This is a little disturbing.

Dozens of Sailors From USS Ronald Reagan Suffering From Cancer After Japan Earthquake Assistance

Over 50 Sailors who served on the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) are Suffering from Thyroid Cancer, Leukemia, and Brain Tumors after participating in Humanitarian assistance during the Japanese earthquake of 2011.

During the Fukushima Nuclear rescue efforts, sailors onboard the USS Ronald Reagan and apart of the battle group that responded to the disaster, were exposed to high levels of radioactive material while afloat off the East coast of Japan....

...Crew members in their mid-20′s from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan are coming down with all sorts of radiation-related illnesses after being deployed less than 3 years ago to assist with earthquake rescue operations off the coast of Japan in 2011. It looks as though the onboard desalinization systems that take salt out of seawater to make it drinkable, were taking-in radioactive water from the ocean for the crew to drink, cook with and bath-in, before anyone realized there was a massive radiation spill into the ocean.

http://americanlivewire.com/12-15-2013-uss-ronald-reagan-sailors-cancer/

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
Yikes!

I suppose it's only a matter of time until far more of these stories come to light. What a godawful mess.

johnm33

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »
A family freind was one of the poor b-----s who were exposed to the UK's tests in AUS. Only 3 of his kids were carried to term and only one made it past 30, and no grandkids, he made it to 84 very robust till the last couple of years. You have to wonder.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Japan experts voice alarm over “surge in cancers among young in Fukushima” — Gov’t told to “implement measures now” and be prepared for surge to increase further

http://enenews.com/japan-experts-voice-alarm-surge-cancers-among-young-fukushima-implement-measures-be-prepared-surge-increase-further#comments

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »
There is now 51 people from the US army suing TEPCO ! ...more to come...

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
Special Report - Japan's homeless recruited for murky Fukushima clean-up

Seiji Sasa hits the train station in this northern Japanese city before dawn most mornings to prowl for homeless men.

He isn't a social worker. He's a recruiter. The men in Sendai Station are potential labourers that Sasa can dispatch to contractors in Japan's nuclear disaster zone for a bounty of $100 a head.

"This is how labour recruiters like me come in every day," Sasa says, as he strides past men sleeping on cardboard and clutching at their coats against the early winter cold.

It's also how Japan finds people willing to accept minimum wage for one of the most undesirable jobs in the industrialized world: working on the $35 billion, taxpayer-funded effort to clean up radioactive fallout across an area of northern Japan larger than Hong Kong.

Seiji Sasa hits the train station in this northern Japanese city before dawn most mornings to prowl for homeless men.

He isn't a social worker. He's a recruiter. The men in Sendai Station are potential labourers that Sasa can dispatch to contractors in Japan's nuclear disaster zone for a bounty of $100 a head.

"This is how labour recruiters like me come in every day," Sasa says, as he strides past men sleeping on cardboard and clutching at their coats against the early winter cold.

It's also how Japan finds people willing to accept minimum wage for one of the most undesirable jobs in the industrialized world: working on the $35 billion, taxpayer-funded effort to clean up radioactive fallout across an area of northern Japan larger than Hong Kong.
....In January, October and November, Japanese gangsters were arrested on charges of infiltrating construction giant Obayashi Corp's. network of decontamination subcontractors and illegally sending workers to the government-funded project.

In the October case, homeless men were rounded up at Sendai's train station by Sasa, then put to work clearing radioactive soil and debris in Fukushima City for less than minimum wage,

...Only a third of the money allocated for wages by Obayashi's top contractor made it to the workers Sasa had found. The rest was skimmed by middlemen, police say. After deductions for food and lodging, that left workers with an hourly rate of about $6, just below the minimum wage equal to about $6.50 per hour in Fukushima, according to wage data provided by police. Some of the homeless men ended up in debt after fees for food and housing were deducted, police say.....

Most of the cleanup is being run by the mafia!

It makes you want to cry and laugh at the same time.  Not to mention being horrified.  Are you really sure you are against capital punishment?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/30/uk-fukushima-workers-specialreport-idUKBRE9BT00020131230

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
36 interesting items.  I know that not all of them will be attributed to Fukushima (like the Eagles dying) but the ones that definitely can be are still troubling.

#2 According to Oceanus Magazine, the total amount of cesium-137 that has been released into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima is 10,000 to 100,000 times greater than the amount released into the oceans by the Chernobyl disaster or by the atmospheric nuclear weapons tests of the 1960s....

#19 Back in 2012, the Vancouver Sun reported that cesium-137 was being found in a very high percentage of the fish that Japan was selling to Canada…

• 73 percent of the mackerel

• 91 percent of the halibut

• 92 percent of the sardines

• 93 percent of the tuna and eel

• 94 percent of the cod and anchovies

• 100 percent of the carp, seaweed, shark and monkfish

http://investmentwatchblog.com/36-signs-the-media-is-lying-to-you-about-how-radiation-from-fukushima-is-affecting-the-west-coast/#eG38Qr0uFs3zgt0M.99

Should anyone be eating seafood caught anywhere in the northern Pacific at this point?  In addition to the above issues we have the high levels of mercury (a recent show on tv where doctors who were expert in mercury poisoning were discussing eating seafood they indicated that the max anyone should eat of the fish a week was 4 oz.).  And then we have the overfishing issue.

johnm33

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:14 AM »

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »
Should anyone be eating seafood caught anywhere in the northern Pacific at this point?  In addition to the above issues we have the high levels of mercury (a recent show on tv where doctors who were expert in mercury poisoning were discussing eating seafood they indicated that the max anyone should eat of the fish a week was 4 oz.).  And then we have the overfishing issue.

If the seafood becomes radioactive or toxic enough - it might help with the overfishing issue. Sad but true. It could reduce the pressure on species if people stop eating them out of fear or genuine health concerns.

johnm33

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:17 AM »
Well everyone seems to be losing interest,  I keep informing my friends, at least those with a breeding program, [grandkids] about this http://enenews.com/category/location/japan stuff and they just carry on as if nothings happening.   [?]

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2014, 02:11:33 AM »
DD's still keeping her grimly watchful eye on it:

http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2014/02/cracks-found-in-floor-near-fukushima.html

Cracks found in floor near Fukushima radioactive water tanks – Contaminated snowmelt may have seeped into ground

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
A drop here, 26,000 gals there.

Some 300 tons of contaminated groundwater seep into the ocean each day at the Dai-Ichi station 240 kilometers (150 miles) north of Tokyo, Japan’s government has said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-20/tepco-says-new-leak-of-radioactive-water-found-at-fukushima-site.html

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
About Tchernobyl but this woman is crazy enough to go everywhere there is radioactivity....

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »
About Tchernobyl but this woman is crazy enough to go everywhere there is radioactivity....

LOL.  Crazy is too mild of a word!  Yup it is all perfectly safe! 

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »

LOL.  Crazy is too mild of a word!  Yup it is all perfectly safe!

Depending how often you do it, it occurs to me to wonder how the lifetime cancer odds stack up against, say, smoking...?

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
Depending how often you do it, it occurs to me to wonder how the lifetime cancer odds stack up against, say, smoking...?

True.  It s the systemic nature of exposures we face that are the ultimate scary thought.  Add to the exposure to smoking the exposure to thousands of man made chemicals, mercury from burning coal and eating fish, nuclear s**t, pesticides and herbicides on our food, and so on.  It is not possible that this will not have a big effect in the long-run.

The side benefit is that we take a lot longer to rot than we did a 100 years ago.  I learned this from my daughter who is a forensic scientist.  She has lots of interesting tid bits about serial killers also.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
The story of a man in Bielorussia when Tchernobyl did explode.

We all know that time blunts many of our emotions, but the mood remains. This is how it was: we didn't understand at the time what Chernobyl would bring, and even now we still don't understand what the tragic consequences will be. Radiation is a terrible thing: it doesn't burn, doesn't sting - it kills silently, without leaving a mark. Amnesia is also a terrible thing - it also kills silently. Except that it kills a nation, not just individual human beings ... A whole nation ...

And then what? The whole of humanity? B.P.

http://www.theecologist.org/blogs_and_comments/Blogs/2372899/chernobyl_the_biting_wind_the_silent_scream.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:35:57 PM by Laurent »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »
I should create a thread on Tchernobyl, I know...(too much threads already)

A report on  :
Transgenerational accumulation of radiation damage in small mammals chronically exposed to Chernobyl fallout
(from 1986 to 1996, it shows that the cesium create an instability in the genom)

http://enfants-tchernobyl-belarus.org/extra/pdf-divers/telecharge.php?pdf=etb-068.pdf

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing if there has been an improvement in the genetic damage of the voles in the last 20 years.

EDIT:I couldn't find any published updates but I did find this article: http://scienceblogs.com/deanscorner/2011/03/16/chernobyls-radioactive-voles/

Interestingly they say that the area around Chernobyl, while radioactive is less polluted and affected by humans than western Ukraine. 

“Northern Ukraine is the cleanest part of the nation. It has only radiation.” - Dr. Victor Baryakhtar, Vice President for Ukraine’s Academy of Sciences
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:17:58 PM by icefest »
Open other end.

johnm33

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
getting back on topic,  http://enenews.com/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2014, 01:38:39 PM »
That website has got to have the worst formatting and structure that I have yet seen in a news report.

I'm still not sure what I just read. Best to read the journal article at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0265931X12000033

My summary: (I've bolded 137Cs for simpler comparison)

Iodine-131 and 134Cs and 137Cs were observed from 25 March 2011 onwards in Svalbard. The maximum 131I, 134Cs and 137Cs activity concentrations were 810 ± 20,   659 ± 13,   and 675 ± 7 μBq/m3.

For comparison, the maximum daily 137Cs activity concentration measured in northern Finland in 1963 after the atmospheric nuclear tests was 14,000 μBq/m3

All these concentration values are, however, insignificant compared with the 1986 Chernobyl plume in Finland, when the highest daily 137Cs activity concentration was 4,500,000 μBq/m3
Open other end.

johnm33

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
I came across a better treatment of the subject later,  http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/05/nuclear-fuel-fragment-fukushima-found-europe.html  they don't seem to be too sure where Svalbard is though.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
These are the kinds of concerns about nuclear in the future that give one pause.

http://www.nature.com/news/nuclear-waste-facility-on-high-alert-over-risk-of-new-explosions-1.15290

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Yes.....I don't understand why states aren't jumping at the chance to store radioactive waste.....for the next 10,000 years.  What could POSSIBLY go wrong..:)
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2014, 01:36:43 AM »
This is a "solution"?  ???
Tokyo Electric Power Company started building something new and very cold at the ruined Fukushima nuclear power plant complex on Monday. It’s basically a big underground cooler meant to freeze the soil into a rectangular wall around TEPCO’s four nonfunctioning but still highly radioactive reactors. The frozen ground of the Fukushima ice wall should prevent the steady flow of clean groundwater from nearby hillsides mixing with irradiated cooling water under the reactors and turning a huge water contamination problem (400 tons per day) into an insurmountable one.
http://cleantechnica.com/2014/06/06/tepco-starts-fukushima-ice-wall-construction/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
Fukushima operator struggles to build ice wall to contain radioactive water
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/17/fukushima-ice-wall-radioactive-water