Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: NH Jet Stream behavior through June-Aug in 2013  (Read 3447 times)

Pmt111500

NH Jet Stream behavior through June-Aug in 2013
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:12 AM »
Rare sightings of a doubled jet stream during summer 2013 might help to explain the relatively cool temperatures over arctic (and the diminished amounts of ice export from Arctic Ocean) (original from capital weather gang):

http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.fi/2013/09/summer-2013-weather-extremes-tied-to.html

If I recall correctly there was some talk in May of an unseasonal Sudden Stratospheric Warming event. This might be tied to the formation of the June doubled jet. What I've read about doubled ITCZs, this might be something similar. The text has a couple of glitches (where exactly they think N Europe is?) and I've called the R2 type of jet a spiralling (or transitioning or relocating) jet since it isn't contiguous but all the same, this could do as an explanation for the unexpectedly low temperature over the highest arctic during the doubled jet periods. (The warmth from south would have to pass under two low pressure systems to get to the pole, and likely these low pressures would enhance ocean hot/cool mixing further south than usual)

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NH Jet Stream behavior through June-Aug in 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »
Pmt, I've seen you posted this before and haven't yet responded.
But in the state I'm in tonight (rather pessimistic and agressive), I suggest most on the Forum to follow the aspects you raised closely. The calculating part of my consciousness tells me not to suppose a sudden treshold. But defining the trend is alarming enough.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NH Jet Stream behavior through June-Aug in 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
Pmt, I've seen you posted this before and haven't yet responded.
But in the state I'm in tonight (rather pessimistic and agressive), I suggest most on the Forum to follow the aspects you raised closely. The calculating part of my consciousness tells me not to suppose a sudden treshold. But defining the trend is alarming enough.
Werther,

Can you kindly elaborate?