Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: odd bug or feature on relogin  (Read 5326 times)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
odd bug or feature on relogin
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:27:44 AM »
First let me say i really like the simplemachines software and will buy the developers a beer or a case if i am in their general vicinity.

as to the odd bug or feature

0)when having more than one browser tab open on this site,
1)having your login time expire before
2)you click on the links from a page that you accessed when already logged in
3)and open them in new tabs
4)and you relogin from one of the tabs

does Strange Stuff as in

5)the tab no longer displays the page you were viewing before you relogged in, but in my case went back to a copy of another open tab (i only had 2 tabs open at the time ...)

(but perhaps it is meant to, to guard against authentication information leaking into unauthenticated tabs ... a Feature, not a Bug ... mebbe like nethack, they thought of everything ...)

sidd

ggelsrinc

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: odd bug or feature on relogin
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
Why not just log in forever?

You will still get a warning if you take too much time to post, but it's wise to always copy before posting, particularly if internet connectivity becomes an issue. On this site, it will give a warning if someone posts on your thread or if you take too long. Since I log in forever, I just click post a second time and it will post.

I've experienced problems on sites even with the best internet service and losing a post to cyberspace that took a long time to create is a real bummer. That's why I copy what I write for a post, so I can paste it later if any problem develops.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: odd bug
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
Oh, and I would like to make clear I have made many thousands of informative posts on this forum, it's just that my post count has been stuck at 62 since 1975.

;)

1975? I was curious, so looked at Iain's "Show Posts", and, curiously, the system claims his (first!) post #62 was on September 3, 2016.  Screen prints showing two "Posts: 62" in a row (from first quote-link above) and "Posts 61 & 62" (from "Show Posts" link).

Note:  I picked this thread because of "Odd bug", not because of "on relogin"
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »
maybe neven could try deleting post62?? The date order might be messing up the count.

blumenkraft

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:43:59 PM »
This is some weird bug!  ???

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
Maybe he was joking?

Show post is in reverse order.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: odd bug
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
I was caught out, by golly.   :-[   The power of suggestion ...
(Thanks, Kassy!)

Iain registered with the ASIF on  2016-08-22, and his first post was on 2016-09-03 - the post IDed as #62 (above post).  His post #1 in that "show posts" list is his most recent.  Of course, every post (old or new) shows how many posts you've made, not its sequential number.  That's why it is 'special' to catch someone with exactly "1000" posts or whatever.

This thread can go back to sleep...
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"