Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 102109 times)

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
Re: Vermin in compost piles

Doesn't anyone have cats? I do composting in open piles, three at a time. Start a new one every year, use after three. Occasional turnover, with a shovel if i feel energetic, with a backhoe or frontend loader if not. Get field mice and moles and voles and such, the cats take care of it. I was turning over one of them once and one of the cats came up an protested vociferously. I found the reason soon enough, a little hole dug into the corner of the pile, with six (?!) bodies of assorted mice and voles hidden under some leaves. Clearly she had been storing them. I covered them up again and stayed away from that  corner.

I consult the cats nowadays (put out some cat food by the piles, wait till they show up, and then start turning over the piles while watching them for signs of dissent.)

sidd

mati

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
the problem i have had in the past with open compost pits is that when the bears are hungry, they come by and clean them out.
and so it goes

DrTskoul

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2017, 12:41:30 AM »
the problem i have had in the past with open compost pits is that when the bears are hungry, they come by and clean them out.

Ha..talking about recycling...
“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts.”
― Richard P. Feynman

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »
ooo, bears will kill cats. Need a loud dog for those. So far  black bears havent come around the compost heaps, tho they are around. Last year one killed a turkey but usually they stick to berries and such. But the trash is securely locked up and i think the trashpickers like the raccoons and bears (and these days coyotes) know it.

sidd

etienne

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
Hello,

I also have a question regarding watering. My watering can has a capacity of around 10 liters.

When I feel that I'm generous (like a once a week watering for vegetables that already have enough roots), I have water for a line of about 3 meters of vegetables.

When I feel greedy (like a daily watering of seeds and shoots), I go about 6 meters.

If there is a bush that needs water, I put about a half watering can on it.

Of course, I adapt the watering to the meteorological conditions.

Do you see this as more or less ok ?

Thanks a lot.

Etienne
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:50:40 AM by etienne »

silkman

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »
Etienne

That sounds pretty good to me. One simple trick we use for thirsty crops like pumpkins squashes and courgettes (zucchini) is to cut the bottom off a 2 liter plastic water bottle, embed the neck in the soil near the roots and use it as a reservoir to water the plants. Examples here for courgettes:

silkman

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
Call me old-fashioned but I planted first early potatoes today in a trench accompanied by some well rotted farmyard manure  - exactly the way my Dad taught me to in the late 50's.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:26:53 PM by silkman »

etienne

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
Well, you're lucky that somebody taught you how to do it. In my family, there is a generation gap. My parents only did the easy gardening (things like buying tomatoes plant and putting them in the garden). When I see all the problems I have, like that the birds just ate half of the spinach during the last two days, I protected them today with wire mesh, but the holes are too big, I have to buy something with smaler holes quite fast otherwise I'll have to start it all over. At least I know now who is guilty. If one day there is a war, it will be over before people know how to grow their food.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »
Call me old-fashioned but I planted first early potatoes today in a trench accompanied by some well rotted farmyard mature  - exactly the way my Dad taught me to in the late 50's.

Our soil is still too hard, and so we're trying the mulch routine, just laying the potatoes on the ground and cover them with hay. Luckily it rained that very same evening. We'll see what happens.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

DrTskoul

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
Call me old-fashioned but I planted first early potatoes today in a trench accompanied by some well rotted farmyard mature  - exactly the way my Dad taught me to in the late 50's.

Our soil is still too hard, and so we're trying the mulch routine, just laying the potatoes on the ground and cover them with hay. Luckily it rained that very same evening. We'll see what happens.
Is your soil clay content too high?
“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #460 on: April 07, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »

Yes, very high. And it used to be agricultural land (Schnitzelcorn as I call it), so it's going to take a while to restore that layer of humus. But mulching really helps. That layer has been on since October, and the soil beneath was a lot softer, with big earthworms crawling around.

DrTskoul

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 07, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »

Yes, very high. And it used to be agricultural land (Schnitzelcorn as I call it), so it's going to take a while to restore that layer of humus. But mulching really helps. That layer has been on since October, and the soil beneath was a lot softer, with big earthworms crawling around.

Increasing the sand content will help tremendously.  Aggressive mixing is too much work but if you have patience you can spread sand gradually with mulch. This will separate the clay particles and make the soil more permeable.

On the other hand just wood chips according to the attached information works great
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:05:42 PM by DrTskoul »
― Richard P. Feynman

mati

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
sorry but i could not another place to let you know that life is fine ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ4Mm8alM6I
and so it goes

etienne

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #463 on: April 08, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »

On the other hand just wood chips according to the attached information works great

The other pages she wrote are also very interesting :
https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

etienne

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #464 on: April 08, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
Hello,

Here are my spinach with the bird protection I built around them.

I had some wire mesh for fence left. Don't know if the birds still eat as much when the leaves are taller.

Bye,

Etienne

DrTskoul

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 08, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
Hello,

Here are my spinach with the bird protection I built around them.

I had some wire mesh for fence left. Don't know if the birds still eat as much when the leaves are taller.

Bye,

Etienne

Ha.. I had such arrangement for my tomatoes years ago, but the squirrel chewed through. :)
― Richard P. Feynman

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »

The other pages she wrote are also very interesting :
https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

Very interesting website, indeed.

I'm fine with how things are going, just letting things grow and then mowing it and leaving it in place. But I might throw some woodchips and sand around (if I can find sand I can trust).

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
I think wood chips are great for mulching trees , like the WSU site said , but I would be careful about digging in chips before they have been well composted if you are going to use them to build garden soil for vegetables. Bacteria will begin to compost your chips if dug in and they will borrow nitrogen in the process . This can leave your soil lacking in nutrients for a couple years until the composting is complete, dependent upon warmth and soil moisture. For vegetable gardens you should compost first then add them in.
 If you have extra land that you don't plan on putting into garden for several years spreading chips will control weeds and built soil organics, but it takes time. Wood shavings are used for horse stalls and they are plentiful and free . They come with manure and urea but usually even after composting they require some added nitrogen for a balanced soil additive. So adding some other manure , like chicken, before composting will speed up the process and result in a better final product.