Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Solar Roadways  (Read 119417 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
Solar Roadways
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I just came across this "new" technology, if it works,, it would be great, because I am not a fan of Wind Power or traditional Solar Panels:

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml
Have a ice day!

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Solar Roadways
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
I'm still unsure about these.  They will have a hard time getting these accepted.

They have the potential to be quite expensive and dangerous. Expensive to replace the glass, if the glass wears it will become smooth, resulting in slipping.  Is it compatible with snow ploughs or does electrical heat need to be used to melt all the snow? Increased light pollution with lane markings.

Considering that the country I live in has enough roof space for PV to supply almost all residential energy needs. I doubt this will ever become cost effective, nor do I expect a high EROI.

I expect them to remain a niche product used for driveways and similar applications.
Open other end.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
It would be wonderful if these would let us decrease the amount of road salt used every winter!  (I'm thinking in the US; I don't know how much salt is used elsewhere.)

Light pollution is certainly something to consider, although the roadway LED's could be small, possibly directional? and might allow some reduction the huge overhead lights now in use.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
I expect them to remain a niche product used for driveways and similar applications.

Perhaps something like this is more feasible on a large scale?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »

Perhaps something like this is more feasible on a large scale?

At least you do not get distracted by nature, landscapes, trees etc.........
Have a ice day!

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
@Jim Hunt
 yes, it's deployable with current tech, and can be replacing other freeway sound barrier already in existence

@Sigmetnow 
I doubt they will replace overhead illumination as it does not increase the visibility of cars on the road. They seem to be for emergency signaling, lane marking. etc.
Surprisingly, good street lighting with a full cutoff fixture can make a huge difference in light pollution.
Open other end.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
At least you do not get distracted by nature, landscapes, trees etc.........

These sort of sound barriers are used to try and deflect the noise from the motorway away from nearby buildings, so there's generally not a whole lot of nature around to be distracted by in the first place.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
Could use solar powered paint instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27021291

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »
I believe that tempered glass has a better durability than concrete, so if these are made very well they might last significantly longer than current roads.  How often do highways need to be repaved?  In wet and cold winter climates the heated subsurface would keep the roads ice free, leading to greatly increased safety. 

I do not believe that these kinds of roads are currently cost effective, what would be the cost of an asphalt roadway if the social cost of carbon was included in the oil-based asphalt each time it was repaired/relaid?

Even so, the development of a road that lasts 50 years and can generate electricity over that period of time would basically pay for itself, even without a carbon cost on asphalt.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
I do not believe that these kinds of roads are currently cost effective, what would be the cost of an asphalt roadway if the social cost of carbon was included in the oil-based asphalt each time it was repaired/relaid?

It bears pointing out that using asphalt (actually bitumen - a clean version of tar sands essentially) for roadways is not anywhere near as carbon intensive as burning fossil fuels.  Asphalt is not a fossil fuel per say.  It will burn but no one deliberately burns it.  If one so desired they could use bitumen directly without any refining at all - they could just dig it up in Canada and ship it via rail cars, heat it up, put it in the asphalt mixer, add aggregate, dump it in the truck and right onto the road.  There are reasons why this is not the best idea, but it could be done.  And if we were really hurting for money it could be done a lot cheaper than the way we do it now.

From one of the below links.

This paper examines greenhouse gas production of asphalt and concrete pavements. The analysis shows clearly that asphalt has a much lower carbon footprint than concrete. When it comes to pavement, asphalt is the more sustainble choice.

Glass on the other hand has a VERY high carbon footprint.

A Material Flow Analysis and Ecological Footprint of York

Gives 8.39 tonnes Co2e per tonne of glass manufactured and 1.43 tonnes for recycled glass.

While a asphalt roadway does require resurfacing periodically that asphalt is recycled thus it has a much lower carbon footprint than new asphalt.

The durability of any type of glass used where it will be abused like it would be on roadways or even parking lots undoubtedly leaves a lot of work to do for the chemists and engineers.  Who knows what kind of carbon footprint will result when all of the chemistry and manufacturing processes required are finally worked out.  It easily could be much higher than asphalt.  Tempered glass breaks quite easily in its current forms if the right kind of stress is applied.  It is easy to see those kinds of stresses occurring in actual use so that will have to be a prime engineering issue.  Snowplows, chipping, sharp metal objects, gravel being ground into it, sand abrasion, chains and studded tires in winter, salt, extreme heat - pavement temperatures in the southwest US can hit 70+ C at times, etc.  It could well be that this technology would never be cost effective in places with really severe weather.  While it might be able to be configured to keep roadways clear of ice and snow under some conditions there is little prospect of that under extreme conditions below zero, wind blowing at night.  Lots of engineering issues.

I expect that no matter how you calculate right now the asphalt method is the best available and might be better than the glass road idea under real world  conditions also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt

http://www.asphaltroads.org/why-asphalt/environment/carbon-footprint/

http://www.greenrationbook.org.uk/resources/footprints-glass/
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »
With the way things are going regarding carbon capture being done via biochar burial we might even see an upswing in the amount of true 'tar' being produced resulting in use as that as roadways again. It's just a pity about the carcinogenicity of it.
Open other end.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
Another article on the couple who designed solar roads.  They have recieved thousands of emails this week, and have launched a $1million Indiegogo campaign to finance the project, which has already reached $143,000.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/05/14/3437846/solar-powered-roads/

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 12:01:54 AM »
Since I normally put the money where my mouth is, I donated USD 100 to the project.
Have a ice day!

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »
Since I normally put the money where my mouth is, I donated USD 100 to the project.

I'm impressed you would do that.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »

I'm impressed you would do that.

And I would add many more to avoid nature destructing wind-power.
Have a ice day!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
With 8 days to go, funding is now over $775,000.
I helped!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 01:26:39 AM »
A couple hours ago, George Takei ("Sulu" from Star Trek) sent a tweet about the project to his 1.1 million followers.  There's no way this thing doesn't fly, now.  Currently over $845,000.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
By the end of the day they will reach the 1 million mark:

Currently at $ 935,018 USD

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#activity
Have a ice day!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
Found the FAQ page!
http://solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#index

How much weight can these panels support? Semi-trucks get pretty heavy!

Originally, we were designing toward 80,000 pounds. That was supposed to be the maximum legal limit for a semi-truck. However, we live in logging country and a former logging truck driver informed us that they don't have scales in the woods and that he'd topped out at 124,000 pounds. So we decided that we should go for 150,000 pounds. We then learned that oil companies can get permission to move refinery equipment up to 230,000 pounds on frozen roads, so we decided to shoot for 250,000 pounds.

Both 3D Finite Element Method analysis and actual load testing at civil engineering labs showed that our Solar Road Panels can handle that and more.
What are you going to do about traction? What's going to happen to the surface of the Solar Roadways when it rains>

Everyone naturally pictures sliding out of control on a smooth piece of wet glass! Actually, one of our many technical specs is that it be textured to the point that it provides at least the traction that current asphalt roads offer - even in the rain. We hesitate to even call it glass, as it is far from a traditional window pane, but glass is what it is, so glass is what we must call it.

We sent samples of textured glass to a university civil engineering lab for traction testing. We started off being able to stop a car going 40 mph on a wet surface in the required distance. We designed a more and more aggressive surface pattern until we got a call form the lab one day: we'd torn the boot off of the British Pendulum Testing apparatus! We backed off a little and ended up with a texture that can stop a vehicle going 80 mph in the required distance.
Won't the LEDs cause light pollution?

We want to do everything we can to minimize light pollution. The LEDs can be dimmed or even turned off if no vehicles are on the road. We envision activating the LEDs 1/2 mile ahead and 1/4 mile behind a vehicle. If you were to see the adjacent lane lighting up, then you'd know an oncoming vehicle is 1/2 mile ahead.

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »
Sigmetnow, Thanks for that.

While I doubt the light pollution technology will be used as much as I hope, it does reassure me that there is at least some hope with this tech.

Almost there: $979,347USD
Open other end.

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
...and there we go. Over one million dollars raised.
Open other end.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
1,000,000 USD reached

24,112 contributors.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#activity
Have a ice day!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Icefest,
The second video in the "Gallery" mentions that the little hexagons within the hexagonal module glass "transmit the LED light in six different directions."  That suggests to me that light can be minimized to unwanted directions, as well.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
The Indiegogo fund just passes $1,500,000 USD!  Will they make it to $2 million in the three days left?  I think so!

And now at $1,505,222, Solar Roadways has moved to the #5 spot in Indiegogo's most funded campaigns ever.  (It will likely end up as #4 or #3.). Amazing to see comments and contributions from all over the world.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:51:49 PM by Sigmetnow »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
When talking numbers Gangnam Style will turn the 2 Billion mark within days/ hours currently at:

Pretty amazing!! :)
Have a ice day!

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
I love the idea of solar roadways but keep coming across two negative responses. One is that it encourages car travel and BAU so it's totally anachronistic before it starts. The other criticism comes from the other end of social respectability, saying why should we put money in this to get nothing out, when the people promoting it will be millionaires if it works?

Well, I say, we have a responsibility to reduce our carbon emissions and this seems a pretty smart way of doing it. They've ploughed everything into this and good luck to them.

Thoughts?

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 11:46:46 PM »
Transportation is like sex, it's here to stay, and if people become millionaires based on a good  idea and responsible business, I don't see anything wrong with that?
Have a ice day!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 02:31:21 AM »
Until everyone becomes totally self-sufficient (never)... or we perfect matter transporters ;) ...  we will need to carry stuff (like food) from where it is produced to where it is consumed.  And until we invent hover cars/trucks, we will need roads.  Asphalt and concrete roads are little more than cobblestones with lots of fossil fuels applied -- we can do better! 

People all over the world are voting for solar roadways with their wallets.  Some just $1, some with thousands of dollars.  They are saying, "We want this to happen, and we want to help."  What they get out of it may not be a million dollars, but a great technology they want in their hometown as soon as possible -- and okay, maybe the "perk," to show their pride in the project and help share their enthusiasm with others! 

ael

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 03:57:26 AM »
I am skeptical that the solar panels would work in northern Alberta in January.
There is not enough light to power the heaters (and even if there was,
the water would refreeze once it left the panel, creating an ice dam.)

And that means snow plows would have to be used on them.
Given our bentonitic soil, the snow plow would rip the panels to shreds.

Pmt111500

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 06:57:15 AM »
could work on some lightly trafficked residential streets or alleys in a warm climate with little rain, other wise wear and tear would make this useless as a road or a power plant. The rubber from tires would darken the glass in no time on a busier road. weight limits to maintenance equipment and trucks are obligatory. Still, should withstand at least 3 inch hail dropping at 100mph.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 01:59:28 PM »
I am skeptical that the solar panels would work in northern Alberta in January.
There is not enough light to power the heaters (and even if there was,
the water would refreeze once it left the panel, creating an ice dam.)

And that means snow plows would have to be used on them.
Given our bentonitic soil, the snow plow would rip the panels to shreds.

could work on some lightly trafficked residential streets or alleys in a warm climate with little rain, other wise wear and tear would make this useless as a road or a power plant. The rubber from tires would darken the glass in no time on a busier road. weight limits to maintenance equipment and trucks are obligatory. Still, should withstand at least 3 inch hail dropping at 100mph.

There's a lot of interesting details available on the Indiegogo site under the Story tab, but a lot is buried in videos or the FAQ page.  I note these:
-The project is being developed in Sandpoint, Idaho, just a few miles from the Canadian border.  They know snow!  But I think they'd agree there are some locations that would require further development....  (If snow had to be removed, trucks would use rotating brushes, not plows.)
-The heating elements would be tied into the grid (cable channels are built alongside the road, allowing power/phone/internet to share the space).
-Tests so far have shown road surface "dirtying" only reduces solar output by 9%.  (Perhaps because tires only touch the top of the hexagon-textured surface?)
-The glass was built super tough to withstand the heaviest oil refinery equipment, at 250,000 pounds (three times the normal semi-trailer limits).

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »
Looks like this project has drawn a record number of Indiegogo contributors.
Perhaps because, as this article puts it, "longshot lovers are even willing to throw their money at an insanely ambitious idea, just because."

http://www.cnet.com/news/solar-roadways-tops-1-5-million-sets-indiegogo-record/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »
Because of all the continued support, they've extended their campaign for another three weeks!

https://www.facebook.com/solarroadways/posts/10152018567027126

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 04:00:00 AM »

-Tests so far have shown road surface "dirtying" only reduces solar output by 9%.  (Perhaps because tires only touch the top of the hexagon-textured surface?)

I thought that 9% was based upon a test where they didn't clean one of their roof solar panels and cleaned the other and then compared the output.
Open other end.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »

I thought that 9% was based upon a test where they didn't clean one of their roof solar panels and cleaned the other and then compared the output.

Dug up the quote -- you are correct.  Here's the complete explanation:

How will you keep the panels clean and how much power do you lose when they are dirty?

We had the opportunity to conduct a unique dirt test recently. Our drought conditions had become quite bad and everything on our property was covered in dirt/dust, including two identical solar panels that we have mounting on our roof. We decided to clean only one of them and then see how the outputs compared.

After one of the panels was cleaned,we monitored their performance throughout the day. It was sunny that day, and we learned that the clean panel produced less than 9-percent more power than the dirt covered panel. So even if we find that it's difficult to keep the panels clean, it may not be the issue many expect.

Most roads with high speed vehicles keep themselves pretty clean, as most small particles are blown off by the passing vehicles, with the exception of spills from oil, transmission fluid etc. There is a very common natural element called titanium dioxide, which turns substances like oil and grease into a powder that would be blown off by wind or washed away by rain. It's currently used on building facades to keep them clean. Spraying a road surface with titanium dioxide or a similar coating may solve the problem. Once we are able to hire a team (by meeting our goal on Indiegogo or working with an investor) we'll put some people to work on this very problem. Quite likely other solutions will be found that we haven't thought about just yet.

There will be some obvious obstacles such as oil spills, sandstorms, storm debris, etc. Here's the worst case scenario: if all else fails, we can replace snow plows with street sweepers where needed (vehicles with large rotating brushes). They're used here in Idaho in the spring to clear the roads of the sand that was used for traction during the winter months.

jonthed

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
I can see these replacing some urban roads first, rather than highways, simply due to the smaller scale. You could easily do a couple of pilot projects on some smaller, shorter urban streets. Also, their smart functionality will really come into play when you've got intersections, pedestrians and cyclists to play with.

As for encouraging car transport and BAU, I think personal transport is here to stay, until cities are rebuilt to be near walkable or bikable, with a very convenient electric tram system or something. But we shouldn't be anti-car per se, we just need to force the transition to electric cars, and at the same time force the transition to renewable electricity.

Google's driverless cars (http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/just-press-go-designing-self-driving.html) and an evolution from there, could massively change inner city transport, I see it allowing the operation of a subscription paying taxi/bus service replacement, with pay as you go options as well, all tied in to an app to call a car to your location, save favourite locations, routes etc. Private ownership of your own personal one if you like, but for many people, especially in cities, it might not be required. It'd be like an on demand taxi service. Buses could also join in the automation, and do the main busy routes still, particularly in city centres and where the cities are laid out in blocks and other patterns that lend themselves to convenient bus routes. Electrify the buses of course.

Anyway, there will still be lots of people wanting to go on various journeys, and it will need to be convenient, so don't write off roads just yet, just rethink the way we use them, and what we use on them.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
This article blew my mind!

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/energy/projects-seek-turn-pavement-alternative-energy-sources-n118986

The so-called Solar Roadways are an edgy idea that the entrepreneurs said could replace much of the need for traditional sources of generating electricity in the U.S., including coal-fired power plants.

And they aren't the only ones who see the potential for roadways to become alternative energy sources.

Volvo is working with the Swedish Transport Association to turn a stretch of roadway in the city of Gothenburg into a rolling battery charger that would be used by specially equipped electric buses for recharging. The concept could someday help eliminate the "range anxiety" that electric vehicle owners suffer due to the limited capacity of today's batteries.

"Vehicles capable of being charged directly from the road during operation could become the next pioneering step in the development towards reduced environmental impact," said Niklas Gustavsson, executive vice president of corporate sustainability for the Volvo Group.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »
Have a ice day!

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
The Indiegogo fund just passes $1,500,000 USD!  Will they make it to $2 million in the three days left?  I think so!

And now at $1,505,222, Solar Roadways has moved to the #5 spot in Indiegogo's most funded campaigns ever.  (It will likely end up as #4 or #3.). Amazing to see comments and contributions from all over the world.

reached #3 some time ago.

now at $2,067,824 USD

Donations seem to have slowed somewhat recently.

#2 spot would require another $174k in remaining 5 and a bit days so that is looking unlikely now. So good prediction despite the extension to 20 June.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
The most important innovation behind Solar Roadways may not be the solar, nor the roadways.
The animated debate about the feasibility of Solar Roadways is not really the key issue and sure, we may not pave America with Solar Panels anytime soon. But the campaign tells us something important about the fight against climate change. It illustrates pent up demand among growing numbers of people to seek innovation solutions by themselves. It was as if 46,000 people said "Hey, governments don't seem to be making progress on climate change, and that crazy inventor couple might actually be on to something. So why not spend 50 bucks for a Solar Roadways mug to pitch in?"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/don-tapscott/solar-roadways-climate-change_b_5499173.html

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
The campaign ended at $2,200,961

Have a ice day!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
48,475 donors from all 50 states and 165 different countries. 

"The money will be used to hire a team of engineers covering a broad range of specialties. This team will work to solve any potential problems that may arise as Solar Roadways finetunes its first commercial product, which Brusaw hopes to have available by the end of the year."

They also made a quick trip to the White House, by invitation, to be a part of the President's "Maker Faire."

http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/news/local/article_36c39784-f9ba-11e3-ae18-0019bb2963f4.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »
Update on Solar Roadways.  They have purchased a building and begun small-scale manufacturing.

There will be a piece about Solar Roadways tomorrow morning, Saturday, February 14th on Innovation Nation on CBS with Mo Rocca.

Here's a new video by KREM tv: 
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3688754573001?bckey=AQ%7E%7E%2CAAADUxzzLiE%7E%2CBfFAB1omqlzCj9ki2Un-9g0bR4dKoxK-&bctid=4050325937001

And so many people around the world continue to offer their support (see the video), so Indiegogo is reopening crowdfunding, starting tomorrow.
Solar Roadways has been invited by Indiegogo to open an InDemand Campaign. This is a new type of perpetual campaign that Indiegogo has started to offer to those who have already had a successful campaign. They flew us to California in December to film a short documentary that will go live tomorrow at the same time as our new campaign.

So many people have written to us asking us to make the perks available again, that we thought this would be a great way to do that. Many people didn't hear about us until after the campaign ended. We've created some new perks and brought back one "old" one. At the beginning of each month we'll change our perk offerings, bringing in some new things and taking away others. We so appreciate all of you that help to spread the word through your perks!

We'll announce tomorrow when it's live.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »
Indiegogo produced a new video about Solar Roadways, available here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=izgD9_s2RfU

And the new Solar Roadways "InDemand" campaign is open.  New perks!

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »

From the new indiegogo campaign
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
I find this concept really interesting.

Has large scale electrical snow melting been tried anywhere in the world?  I think iceland does some geothermal clearing, but in most temperate climes electricity is in highest demand over winter, making direct melting more expensive.

I guess you could daisy chain a bit - using a cleared module to melt the next one clear.
However it works, it'll be better than the obscene amounts of salt that are used at present.
Open other end.

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
I am surprised and curious, first noticed on Climate Crocks:
http://climatecrocks.com/2015/05/10/roofs-parking-lots-alone-enough-to-power-california-with-solar/#more-23736

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/150510092535171.html
Engineers in the Netherlands say a novel solar road surface that generates electricity and can be driven over has proved more successful than expected.

Last year they built a 70-metre test track along a bike path near the Dutch town of Krommenie on the outskirts of Amsterdam.

In the first six months since it was installed, the panels beneath the road have generated over 3,000kwh. This is enough to provide a single-person household with electricity for a year.

FNORD

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
Comparing the Netherlands solar pathway results with the Brusaw's Solar Roadway design.

Solar Paneled Roadways Vindicated
http://www.infrastructureusa.org/solar-paneled-roadways-vindicated/

Solar Roadways is collecting data from solar installations in Arizona, and expects to install the first public projects in Sandpoint, Idaho this year.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#/updates

Jester Fish

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 11:44:37 PM »
This is got to be close to the most inefficient solar installation ever imagined...."all hype and no horsepower"....

1/2 the output of conventional rooftop solar at 2-4x the installation cost.  Long term maintenance is unknown but its a roadway so....!!  See EVVblog 

A much smarter way is to put the panels ABOVE the path/sidewalk/roadway/parking lot similar to this....

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
Having the panels above opens up other issues. Snow/wind loading, Weather sealing, pylon/support damage. The other thing is that having the panels above means you still need to pay for the road below.

The cheapest is greenfield, if the land is cheap. After that on rooftops.

This isn't designed to be most efficient, but rather to enable areas that would otherwise have no solar, to have solar.
Open other end.