Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Antarctic Images  (Read 37013 times)

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Antarctic Images
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
Hello

I love the images that are available on the arctic threads, If is alright I would like to start a thread on Antarctic images.  If this is not the correct way to start a new thread please let me know because I am new to this :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:42:51 AM by oren »

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
Re: Antarctic images
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:37:35 PM »
The attached link id to an ice concentration analysis animation I found at http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/

amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-data.php?action=view_animation&product=fusion/ICA

Cheers
Susan

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
Susan,

The images look great.

You can find images (and animations) of the Antarctic sea ice extent here:

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

Thanks,
ASLR
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:13:51 AM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:52 AM »
nsidc images of Antarctica
from MODIS Antarctic Ice Shelf Image Archive: January 2002 - Present

http://nsidc.org/data/iceshelves_images/index_modis.html

Vaughn

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:09:35 AM »
This article is short and rather incomplete but it does have a nice radar image of Antarctica and some facts about the ice:
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/antarctica-seen-naked-first-time.html
Vaughn

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Hello Vaughn,

Thank you for the article and it has very nice graphics.  The key facts highlighted from the article were very interesting. 

1) volume of ice in Antarctica is 4.6% greater than previously thought.

2) The mean bed depth of Antarctica, at 95 metres, is 60 m lower than estimated.

3) The volume of ice that is grounded with a bed below sea level is 23% greater than originally thought meaning there is a larger volume of ice that is susceptible to rapid melting. The ice that rests just below sea level is vulnerable to warming from ocean currents.

4) The total potential contribution to global sea level rise from Antarctica is 58 metres, similar to previous estimates but a much more accurate measurement.

5) The new deepest point, under Byrd Glacier, is around 400 metres deeper than the previously identified deepest point

Cheers
Susan

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
Susan,

The following website has interesting photos and information:

http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/west-antarctic-ice-sheet/

http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/

Best, ASLR
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Hello Abrupt_SLR,

Thanks for the images.  I think this site is really starting to bring the Antarctica to life.

Cheers

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:04:32 AM »

first ever map of Antarcticas bathomery ("underwater topography")

http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/hires/2013/newchartshow.jpg

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:22:08 AM »
I thought that the Antarctic photos at the following site were worth linking to:

http://500px.com/devenphoto

Two of the images show nacreous clouds. Nacreous clouds are also called "polar stratospheric clouds" and get their brilliant, rainbow colors from sunlight that's reflected from below the horizon. The clouds are so high — up to 82,000 feet above the Earth — that they continue to glow in these incredible hues long after the sun has gone down.
Unfortunately these clouds also contain nitric acid, which reacts with chlorine that's released by industrial processes — and that little combination of chemicals tends to contribute to the Antarctic ozone hole.
― Leon C. Megginson

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:45 AM »
to go straight to AQUA and TERRA images
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/
I spotted this image
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl2_143.A2013269050000-2013269050500.2km.jpg
which shows ice drifting away from the coast with a plume like feature (cropped image attached) I would like to know what is going on there. Does anybody here have suggestions?

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
Andreas,

As we are past the peak for Antarctic Sea Ice Extent, I believe what you are seeing is a local break-up of some portion of the Antarctic Sea Ice sheet (which happens every year in a manner that depends on winds, tides, temperatures, storms, atmospheric lows/highs, tides, ocean currents, upwelling, etc).

Best,
ASLR
― Leon C. Megginson

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
You are right not to read too much into a snapshot picture and of course I have no comparison for an interpretation of this year relative to other years. But I am learning from pictures like this which shows similar effects on a larger scale http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl1_143.A2013272013500-2013272014000.250m.jpg what the holes on the sea ice which can be seen in the ice concentration charts are. It shows me how much ice is driven away from the coast by winds (I am guessing this from the movement indicated on the sea surface) and therefore is as you say highly dependent on weather conditions. Just look at the sea ice extent graph bouncing up and down. August has been a lot warmer than average in Antarctica (see graphs page). Above average sea ice extent in antarctica which is a favoured talking point of some people is not the indication of cooling they want it to be.
As I said not a scientific proof by a long shot but something to keep an eye on and learn about, and it is great to see that part of the world from my living room.

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »
As Neven quite rightly suggests on the 'building projects' thread we best focus on 'cultivating our gardens & minds', that we dont need to travel everywhere.
I confess I was lucky enough to travel to NZ's Scott Base & environs in spring 7 years ago, on an Antarctica Artist Fellowship, so not as a tourist. I was there to 'work', & pay-back time came later!
The idea being that an artist could express some aspect about the continent to the general public, so everyone else didn't need to travel there for themselves to still experience it in some way. That they could journey there through the imagination of an artist.

And now here's another way too, more like being in a movie, with these are 360' panoramic pictures. Yes there are some of these already but the idea with this site is it will gradually grow to cover all sorts of locations around the continent.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11132043

http://tour.ictar.aq/tour.html

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »

sg_smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »
thanks for the image it looks great.

Pmt111500

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
lacking an explanation of what these are, clouds, ice remnants, other? yesterday, near PIG outlet.

ggelsrinc

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »
lacking an explanation of what these are, clouds, ice remnants, other? yesterday, near PIG outlet.

Clouds or a flock of these who have learned to fly just to give us the bird!

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Can you give a link to the image where your frame is from, Pmt ?
Here  are air temperatures from PIG
http://efdl_5.cims.nyu.edu/timeseries/NYU_AWS_PIG_timeseries.html
My guess would be streaks of fog forming where cold air blows over open water at a "steamy"
-1.8degC. The combination of wind from the cold inland and upward convection might roll the forming fog into these streaks. I've seen this effect in MODIS images too and if somebody has more and better info, would like to learn more about this.
The images I have seen have in common: ice drifting away from land opening wide gaps, the white streaks are at roughly right angle to the landward edge, and thinner and fainter near the landward edge.
http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/contenthandler.cfm?id=2010 suggests that waves and spray could be part of the story. Ice formation is certainly happening too with dry cold air blowing over the water, but how quickly that happens and shows up I have no idea.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 03:50:08 AM »
this image and description seems a pretty good summary of what I have found on the topic so far  http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=41161

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
this video shows some brief glimpses of conditions similar to those in the images (40 sec and 1:14 in) I think, and it is nice to watch anyway, thanks A4R, and hope it is ok to repost here
Hi Abrupt SLR,

This may not exactly match the categroy, but the video illustrates the interplay of ice conditions, weather and season and the rich biodviersity of the Antarctic seas.

A4R

Pmt111500

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
thanks Andreas T.

The next piece of ice likely to be separated from Ross Ice Shelf is located near the border of Lance Antarctica mosaic tiles r02c04 and r02c03, here a contrast enhanced photo (25.10.2013) with color mod over this 2150km2 piece of WAIS buffer. Not even near the largest ones to come off but anyway.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:25 PM »

another view of the place you showed earlier, pmt
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl1_143.A2013300133500-2013300134000.250m.jpg
I am now convinced this shows cold wind making ice. There are some thin clouds, distiguishable by their shadows, and extending over water and ice. But the streaks of loose (pancake?) ice on the sea surface  pile up against the edge of the thin sheet of sea ice recognizable by cracks in that ice sheet.
This image reminds me very much of flow visualizations I saw years ago on metal surfaces covered in silocon oil with added white pigment. Air blowing onto the metal plate left streaks of a very similar appearance.

Pmt111500

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
just a photo of a cool circulation feature, resolution 500m/px

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 09:26:28 PM »
Antarctic Background

Rare Photos of the First Australasian Expedition to Antarctica in 1911

"The Australasian Antarctic Expedition lasted from 1911 to 1914 and explored previously unknown areas of Antarctica."

"Australian Antarctic Expedition members in the kitchen"

(Found in tweet by The Ice Age @Jamie_Woodward_)

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
change on the Ronne ice shelf

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »
FYI, the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf is at the base of the Antarctica Peninsula.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
I am not sure, either the difference in lighting or the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf will break quickly
Photo: https://www.polarview.aq/antarctic

https://postimg.cc/image/z7k0zi5qf/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:27:17 PM by Grygory »

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
The first French expedition to Antarctica, 1903-5.  8)

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 03:37:01 PM »
What do you think about my gif? - Is it just the difference in lighting or is this rift  growing?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
What do you think about my gif? - Is it just the difference in lighting or is this rift  growing?
can't open file ... b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
can't open file ... b.c.

I do not know why it does not open - My gif opens for 'chrome' and after downloading. I threw it on another server

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
Re:  Grygory's Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf growing rift GIFs

It looks to me like the crack is extending, from the images you showed.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

maga

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 12:18:08 PM »
Good spotting Grygory! I haven't noticed this but I watched another crack further to the east expand maybe two years ago. The long one will connect to this and a calving might occur rather soon.

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
Good spotting Grygory! I haven't noticed this but I watched another crack further to the east expand maybe two years ago. The long one will connect to this and a calving might occur rather soon.

I sooner did not notice the increase of the second large rift. If it does not break it will be one of the largest icebergs

magnamentis

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
The rift  is growing very fast in Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
Change on the brunt ice shelf  during the last six months-Soon the large calving of the glacier?

Grygory

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
The last two interesting gifs. Thwaites glacier and ross ice shelf. - I do not know if they are interesting for everyone but if so in a month I can update.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »
Very interesting. Thank you Grygory for these gifs, and I hope you keep updating them.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:59:01 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »
From the CNN video, the remarkable iceberg approximates a right trapezoid. (Scroll down in link for images of named different types of trapezoids.)

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »
yes - and I don't see how crystals would form the rectangular shape - the rest look pretty random shapes in the flyover & I suspect its the luck of the draw - or crack.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2018, 02:58:36 AM »
crystals
  That was weird, wasn't it!   The near-linear edges of large icebergs are largely associated with joint patterns associated with the shelf's stresses pre-iceberg-separation. 

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »
Nice shot of Beaver Lake in the Prince Charles Mountains

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1056607276545454080
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:39:00 AM by solartim27 »
FNORD

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »

s1235smith

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2018, 12:41:26 AM »
Hello,

I just wanted to say I was impressed by this image. 
"Where icesbergs go to die"  or something like that would make a great t-shirt slogan :)

I would like to say I have been visiting this forum since 2012.  I know this because I started
this thread :) I had a different user name and email back then but I am happy to see it is still
continuing :)

Lastly I saw ASLR was saying he was leaving the forum.  I would be sorry to see this because he has been a great contributer and always supported and encouraged all contributers even myself. So thank you to ASLR.  I hope to see you here again

<I initially banned your profile because it looked like a spambot (a few of those register almost every day), but after seeing this comment saw that you weren't. I've unbanned you, but I'd prefer it if you just use one profile to post comments on the ASIF. If you need help with retrieving passwords, etc, let me know; N.>
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:00:25 AM by Neven »