Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

How many people can fit in a space dinghy?

Less than a thousand
8 (36.4%)
From a thousand to a million
0 (0%)
Several million
2 (9.1%)
Several billion
2 (9.1%)
I do not know
6 (27.3%)
Null
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Space colonization  (Read 3767 times)

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 131
Re: Space colonization
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
It’s likely that the technology developed to deal with the CO2-rich Martian atmosphere will lead to unexpected innovations that will help reduce CO2 on earth.  But the biggest effect may result from interest in the missions drawing attention of common folks worldwide to the need for immediate curtailment of CO2 emissions on our home planet.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »

Moreover, there is simply no place on Earth where you can safely store huge amounts of carbon:

Um...Plants?  :o

This statement is so stupid that I cannot even......for...fear...of losing...my shit...and going totally...over the line...and...I...don't...want...to...be...abusive.

oren

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 489
  • Likes Given: 1007
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
Do you think that on large cruise ships there should be no lifeboats?
Wrong analogy. Do you think that on large cruise ships there should be a single lifeboat for just one or two persons?
Even worse: Do you think it's worth the cost of this single lifeboat if you need to give up some safety features of the cruise ship?

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 725
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »
It’s likely that the technology developed to deal with the CO2-rich Martian atmosphere will lead to unexpected innovations that will help reduce CO2 on earth.  But the biggest effect may result from interest in the missions drawing attention of common folks worldwide to the need for immediate curtailment of CO2 emissions on our home planet.
Mars lost its magnetosphere 4 billion years ago.
No protection from harmful solar radiation.
Density at the surface is 0.6% of that of the Earth

Mars's atmospheric mass of 25 teratonnes compares to Earth's 5148.  i.e. 0.5%.
It is 95% CO2, i.e. 23.75 teratonnes.

The total CO2 floating in our atmosphere is just over 3 teratonnes (say 415 ppmv, 0.63% by weight)).

To get this down to 350 ppm (ha ha) requires CO2 in our atmosphere to be reduced by about 0.5 teratonnes (Just over 500 gigatonnes). This apparently requires a mass mobilisation by the entire World's scientists, industries and politicians. Mars is a 50 times heavier task and you end up with an atmosphere equivalent to 35 km above the earth's surface.

So Musk is going to transform Mars with a few people and some truckloads of stuff. Go to it !!
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2019, 12:12:56 AM »

So Musk is going to transform Mars with a few people and some truckloads of stuff. Go to it !!

I said nothing about transforming Mars.  However, a Mars colony will need to develop efficient methods of making CO2 into methane and O2 to fuel ships to get home, and to scrub CO2 out of the air in the habitat. Unexpected innovations will no doubt result, leading to new developments on earth.

Just as a multitude of private companies are performing R&D on the International Space Station today, they will be researching ways to improve life on Mars (and ways to make money doing it).  Musk/SpaceX are providing the transportation; others will design and build the infrastructure, the supplies, and the government.

Edit:  And as I mentioned, inspiring a majority of the world’s population to unify to act to preserve life on Planet A has the biggest potential for increasing action against climate change.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:27:47 AM by Sigmetnow »

GoSouthYoungins

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2019, 04:48:27 AM »

Moreover, there is simply no place on Earth where you can safely store huge amounts of carbon:

This statement is so stupid that I cannot even......for...fear...of losing...my shit...and going totally...over the line...and...I...don't...want...to...be...abusive.

Thanks for getting to this before me. You managed to be least offensive than I possibly could have, and I don't want to be put back on moderation.

The great irony is that the carbon should go into soil and foliage, which are actually assets. It builds value to store carbon in this way and makes the earth's carrying capacity much greater. And it is the most basic human task. It is good for us...spiritually and physically healthy.

But apparently some people think it makes more sense to do something that has never been done. Not even close. Not even close to close. Likely bordering on impossible. Even if it could be done, it would be the least natural environment possible...akin to a prison.

big time oops

kassy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
Space tourism is not space colonization.

How do you think space colonization starts?
With those first brave explorers.

But would you count 16 rich people flying up to the ISS among them?

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »
The International Space Station has been continously occupied for 20 years, by astronauts, scientists — and tourists — from many countries.

New video:
NASA (@NASA)6/7/19, 10:17 AM
.@Space_Station is open for commercial business! Watch @Astro_Christina talk about the steps we're taking to make our orbiting laboratory accessible to all Americans.
https://twitter.com/nasa/status/1137000745922957313
1-minute video at the link, from Christina Koch aboard the ISS.
(I don’t know why they state the opportunity is limited to Americans. Maybe that’s a Trump thing.)

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »

I think he thinks that there is not enough suitable land to grow enough trees to contain the trillions of tons of Carbon going into the atmosphere (“huge”).
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
Space is cool.  And kids, including girls, are now drawn to science and engineering studies because of it.

Almost half of UK children believe Mars colony will be established in their lifetime, poll finds
Nearly half of all children surveyed for a new poll believe humans will establish a colony on Mars within their lifetime. Six in 10 children felt anxious about climate breakdown, with more than a third saying they did not think enough was being done to solve Earth’s environmental problems.
As a result, 61 percent believed mankind would look to space for other places to live in future, while 59 percent expected to holiday in space.

Worries about the future of Earth were not solely confined to the younger generation, as two thirds of parents admitted they were “future-proofing” their children to ensure they have the engineering skills required to tackle a future threatened by climate change. The idea of living on another planet in the future has led to 46 percent of children to develop an interest in engineering and technology.

In total, 1,000 children aged six to 16 and their parents were polled by the Institution of Engineering and Technology. It found that engineering was now the third most popular profession among the children polled (15 percent), with the career only falling behind being a YouTuber (18 percent), or footballer (17 percent). Of those who chose engineering, 16 percent of children said space exploration would be the number one field they would want to work within.

While the profession has historically suffered from a gender imbalance, 36 percent of children who expressed interest in such a career were girls. A total of 37 percent of parents said they would like to send their children to an extra-curricular activity such as a mathematics, coding or science club.
And STEM extracurricular activities proved to be more popular than music (34 percent) and drama (33 percent) lessons. ...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mars-colony-life-climate-change-breakdown-iet-engineering-a8954896.html

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 282
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
Space is cool.  And kids, including girls, are now drawn to science and engineering studies because of it.

Isn't conditioning, like, the best thing ever?
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »

Isn't conditioning, like, the best thing ever?

When it’s for something we really, really need to make happen?  You betcha!