Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Australian Winter  (Read 833 times)

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
Australian Winter
« on: July 17, 2022, 10:14:05 PM »
June 2022

Why is it so cold right now? And how long will it last? A climate scientist explains

Australia’s climate is most strongly tied to conditions in the Pacific and Indian Oceans in winter and spring

The cool and wet outlook is related to the persistent La Niña and the forecast development of a negative Indian Ocean Dipole (a natural climate phenomenon that influences rainfall patterns around the Indian Ocean).

Both of these phenomena are associated with warmer ocean temperatures near Australia, and are conducive to more moisture over the continent and stronger low pressure systems over southern Australia.

This in turn raises the probability of wetter than normal conditions and suppressed daytime temperatures.

Cold air outbreaks like we’re currently seeing over southeast Australia are a normal part of our cool season weather.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2022/06/why-is-it-so-cold-right-now-and-how-long-will-it-last-a-climate-scientist-explains/

July 15th 2022
Hillston Airport in Australia has set a new all-time (any month) cold record of -6.0°C (21.2°F).

This is the first weather station worldwide with a long period of observation to set an all time cold record in 2022. Impressive!
https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1548346676489777157

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Australian Winter
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 03:09:03 AM »
I talked about this winter in the ENSO thread but it can be repeated a little here.

The La Nina going two, and looks like three years running, is creating a lot of rain and cooler temps for Australia.
This is great for plant growth.

What this equals is fuel for the fires later on.
When I think about the Black Summer, which was a neutral year, I dread to think what will happen when the La Nina ends... and I am dreading the next El Nino.

The fires, when the ENSO cycle ends La Nino, are going to be catastrophic. Last time we mostly avoided cities, several towns disappeared, so many animals died it is beyond counting.... and I honestly think we got lucky in Sydney that the fires didnt break into the city properly.

I, personally, dislike relying on luck because it has a nasty habit of ending.
I sort of wish the La Nina would end asap to reduce the fuel levels for what is to come here.