Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's new in Greenland?  (Read 173036 times)

be cause

• Grease ice
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 211
  • Likes Given: 185
Re: What's new in Greenland?
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
'Lol Tor .. Trump could never spoil my day .. village idiots are no threat to each other :) . He probably wants to market  ' Trump ice ' .. buy now before it's gone'  .. or 'help re-green Greenland .. burn some extra gas today ' .. the dumb bald rump rocks ! b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #451 on: August 16, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »
Trump Wants to Buy Greenland

August 15, 2019 at 5:33 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 116 Comments

“President Trump made his name on the world’s most famous island. Now he wants to buy the world’s biggest,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

“The idea of the U.S. purchasing Greenland has captured the former real-estate developer’s imagination, according to people familiar with the deliberations, who said Mr. Trump has, with varying degrees of seriousness, repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.”

Sorry to spoil your day, b.c.  :'(

Edit: I should say sorry to Espen, too.
I am indifferent, I saw this coming and it will be the biggest chess game we have ever seen, another battleground when it comes to the game the US and China is playing at the moment, I would say the island (Greenland) could be sold for something like 1.200 Billion dollars or about 20.000.000 USD per REAL citizen of Greenland, and that is dirty cheap, maybe even more depends how far the Chinese wants to go, and you got to remember it is not Denmark who can sell this, it is only Greenland and its people who can decide, and Denmark will loose all their negotiating power when Greenland is not on the table. The Trump would not be in Copenhagen in 2 weeks time if it was not because of Greenland!!!!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:25:57 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 16, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
Trump Wants to Buy Greenland

August 15, 2019 at 5:33 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 116 Comments

“President Trump made his name on the world’s most famous island. Now he wants to buy the world’s biggest,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

“The idea of the U.S. purchasing Greenland has captured the former real-estate developer’s imagination, according to people familiar with the deliberations, who said Mr. Trump has, with varying degrees of seriousness, repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.”

Sorry to spoil your day, b.c.  :'(

Edit: I should say sorry to Espen, too.
I am indifferent, I saw this coming and it will be the biggest chess game we have ever seen, another battleground when it comes to the game the US and China is playing at the moment, I would say the island (Greenland) could be sold for something like 1.200 Billion dollars or about 20.000.000 USD per REAL Greenlanders, and that is dirty cheap, maybe even more depends how far the Chinese wants to go, and you got to remember it is not Denmark who can sell this, it is only Greenland and its people who can decide, and Denmark will loose all their negotiating power when Greenland is not on the table!

And the worst scenario for The Trump,  China can buy all of Greenland for the value China got in US Bonds (debt)!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:23:57 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 467
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #453 on: August 17, 2019, 07:29:20 PM »

750 × 652
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #454 on: August 17, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/463978d56972479c89a588603fb3783b
When University of Georgia ice scientist Tom Mote, who isn’t part of this project, started studying Greenland’s glaciers in the early 1990s, researchers really didn’t think the water was a big factor.
Willis’ project — called Oceans Melting Greenland, or OMG — is showing that it is. Now the question is how much and how fast.
What Willis is measuring is the water 660 feet (200 meters) or more below the surface, which is warmer and saltier than the stuff that touches the air. It’s this deep water that does the major damage.
To measure this, NASA is spending five years crisscrossing the island in a tricked-out 77-year-old DC-3 built for World War II. Willis, project manager Ian McCubbin and mechanic Rich Gill drop long, cylindrical probes through a special tube in the floor of the plane, watching as the sensors parachute down and then dive into the chilly water.

https://www.channel4.com/news/climate-change-hitting-remote-greenland-communities-hard
July was the hottest month on Earth since records began, according to meteorologists. All this week we’ve been reporting from Greenland on the dramatic impact global warming is having on the ice shelf. Scientists say Greenland’s ice is melting at a rate they were not expecting to see until 50 years time.
Our Chief Correspondent Alex Thomson looks at the effect climate change is having on the small communities of people that live in this rapidly changing wilderness.

SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Renerpho

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2019, 04:12:24 AM »
Also, since i never said it before, welcome to the forum Renerpho. Really nice to meet you. :)

Thanks, blumenkraft! Nice to meet you, too.  :)

Both the Danish and the Greenland prime ministers have commented on the issue. It looks like Greenland wasn't for sale in 1946, and it isn't for sale in 2019.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-greenland/danish-pm-says-idea-of-selling-greenland-to-us-is-absurd-idUSKCN1V80M0

Quote from: Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen
Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously.
Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #456 on: August 19, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen
Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously.

Why does TRump need to control the lands close to the east of the USA?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

blumenkraft

• Grease ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2019, 05:25:40 PM »

He is an unfathomably stupid child with dementia. What do you expect?
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
A little birdie told me that some of Greenland's minerals are subject to Australian control. Would that be Gina Rinehart, of ill repute (she owns phosphorus mine in Yorkshire, if you didn't know)? Adani (the coal baron set on making billions off poisoning the Pacific and Indian subcontinents?
https://www.arctictoday.com/decade-greenland-rare-earths-mine-close-final-approval/

China, of course, would be very very interested, and they're good at taking advantage. However, I have a healthy respect for the Danes.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
An interesting CNN video about Nasa's measuring of the sea water temperature profile around Greenland..... and what it warns us about sealevels.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/19/weather/greenland-nasa-climate-battle-intl/index.html

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1187
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
I read somewhere that after the last glaciation, in most places land rose, but in other places sunk.

I am not talking about changes in sea level but isostatic rebound.

Attached is my absolutely awful graphic about it.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

RoxTheGeologist

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:01 PM »

Here's a map of the ups and downs.

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2019, 12:43:42 AM »
Not exactly new, and perhaps posted previously, but this Comment is informative and well written:

Published: 16 July 2018
Hydrology and the future of the Greenland Ice Sheet
Gwenn E. Flowers
Nature Communications, volume 9, Article number: 2729 (2018)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05002-0

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2019, 12:28:18 AM »
On one of the hottest days this summer, locals in the tiny village of Kulusuk, Greenland, heard what sounded like an explosion. It turned out to be a soccer field's worth of ice breaking off a glacier more than five miles away.
Greenland lost 12.5 billion tons of ice to melting on August 2, the largest single-day loss in recorded history and another stark reminder of the climate crisis.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/weather/greenland-nasa-climate-battle-intl/index.html

Helheim Glacier, Greenland • This is where Earth’s refrigerator door is left open, where glaciers dwindle and seas begin to rise.
New York University air and ocean scientist David Holland, who is tracking what's happening in Greenland from both above and below, calls it "the end of the planet." He is referring to geography more than the future. Yet in many ways this place is where the planet's warmer and watery future is being written.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2019/08/20/earths-future-being/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:42:29 AM by Tom_Mazanec »
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2019, 05:16:03 AM »

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #465 on: August 23, 2019, 01:07:03 AM »
Hi
Long Time lurker....
As i like Espens quest searching for new Islands
I couldn’t find this one (if it is one) on any map
NE corner of greenland Sentinel Image 22 AUG 19
8150N1630W
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:19:55 AM by Stumbi »

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 24, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
Just trying to post it again

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi
Long Time lurker....
8150N1630W

Hello Stumbi, I cant recognize the area, could you be more specific than NE Corner og Greenland
Have a ice day!

philopek

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #468 on: August 24, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »
Hi
Long Time lurker....
8150N1630W

Hello Stumbi, I cant recognize the area, could you be more specific than NE Corner og Greenland

At least according to the coordinates that can't be precise as far as i can see, also i didn'd find a sat image that comes close to it, searching furhter

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 24, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
Hi Philopek is about right NE of station Nord, WNW of cap prins knut
Larger area jpeg.. Little Island top middle
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:15:39 PM by Stumbi »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 25, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »
Hello Stumbi , I found it, it is called Kolon Ø and is mapped see below:
Have a ice day!

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
Thx Espen
I hope it was at least a little challenge

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #472 on: August 26, 2019, 01:34:27 AM »

Maybe Trump wants to buy the Amazon, I'm sure he's the type to be interested in fire sales !
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

philopek

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #473 on: August 26, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »

Maybe Trump wants to buy the Amazon, I'm sure he's the type to be interested in fire sales !

And he's envious on Canadians having large access to the Arctic and he's afraid of Putin on the other side. A future geopolitical loser while the losing part will be self-inflicted and not dependent on the answer to the "Arctic Question"

I'm just brainstorming with a smirk.

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #474 on: August 27, 2019, 01:16:04 AM »

And he's envious on Canadians having large access to the Arctic and he's afraid of Putin on the other side. A future geopolitical loser while the losing part will be self-inflicted and not dependent on the answer to the "Arctic Question"

I'm just brainstorming with a smirk.

Don't forget Trump is Denier in Chief and IMO is distracting from world headlines of dramatic Greenland melt by his incessant oxygen thieving Tweets.

If you raise the issue of Greenland melting these days, the hilarity of Don's Tweets will come up, as it does if you Google Greenland news.

Fake news par excellence.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #475 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:43 PM »
Greenland: 'It's scary to see the ice melting'
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-49583801/greenland-it-s-scary-to-see-the-ice-melting
Three young Greenlanders witnessing the ice caps melting have expressed worry about the impact that would make on other countries.

Scientists researching the Greenland ice sheet say this summer‘s melting has raised the level of the oceans, adding that the rate of melting is accelerating and will increasingly threaten millions of people living in coastal cities and low-lying areas around the world.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #476 on: September 09, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
Danish newspaper Politiken today had a frontpage story:

https://politiken.dk/klima/art7361623/Danmark-bremser-vigtig-klimaforskning-ved-Grønland

Apparently, the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been very reluctant to allow a Swiss-led expedition to circumnavigate Greenland this year.

One of the sticky points seems to be that the 45 researchers would need assistance from two Russian ice-breakers to get around.

Climate researchers are optimistic that the cruise will take place next year.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
Danish newspaper Politiken today had a frontpage story:

https://politiken.dk/klima/art7361623/Danmark-bremser-vigtig-klimaforskning-ved-Grønland

Apparently, the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been very reluctant to allow a Swiss-led expedition to circumnavigate Greenland this year.

One of the sticky points seems to be that the 45 researchers would need assistance from two Russian ice-breakers to get around.

Climate researchers are optimistic that the cruise will take place next year.

There could be other reasons too, the trip around Greenland via Nares Strædet is probably the only trip left that was never done, and I know from rumors that a private arrangement was underway for letting some very well to do people getting the honours of being the first to do so.
Have a ice day!

be cause

• Grease ice
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 211
  • Likes Given: 185
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2019, 03:23:40 AM »
uk's Channel 4 news yesterday evening highlighted the horrific level of dumping on the shores of Greenland .. what I had imagined pristine shores are covered in 1000's of tons of toxic filth and plastic .
 As they filmed another trailor load of heavy duty black bags of human waste and a dead dog or 2 were tipped beside the thousands already there . They ooze into the sea . All around on every beach anywhere near a settlement of any size the filth was blowing and flowing into the sea . just b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Greenland's Growing 'Ice Slabs' Intensify Meltwater Runoff Into Ocean
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-greenland-ice-slabs-meltwater-runoff.html

Thick, impenetrable ice slabs are expanding rapidly on the interior of Greenland's ice sheet, where the ice is normally porous and able to reabsorb meltwater. These slabs are instead sending meltwater spilling into the ocean, according to a new CIRES-led assessment, threatening to increase the country's contribution to sea level rise by as much as 2.9 inches by 2100.

... In 2000, Greenland's runoff zone—the region of the ice sheet where runoff contributes to sea level rise—was roughly the size of New Mexico. Between 2001 and 2013, ice slabs expanded the runoff zone by about 65,000 km2—that's an average pace of two American football fields a minute. By 2100, as Earth's temperatures continue to climb and ice slabs continue to grow, the runoff zone could expand by the size of Colorado under a moderate emissions scenario, the team found. That would raise seas by an extra quarter inch to just over an inch (7-33 mm).

Under a higher emissions scenario, with greater release of greenhouse gases, the runoff zone could increase by the size of Texas, according to the new paper, contributing an extra half inch to nearly three inches (17-74 mm) of sea-level rise. The runoff estimates from ice slabs are in addition to other sources of sea-level rise from Greenland, such as calving icebergs.

Rapid expansion of Greenland's low-permeability ice slabs, Nature (2019)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:49 AM »
Thanks bluesky  :)

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #482 on: Today at 12:04:39 AM »
With Greenland's Extreme Melting, a New Risk Grows: Ice Slabs That Worsen Runoff
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18092019/greenland-ice-sheet-melting-sea-level-rise-climate-change-heat-wave-study
Scientists have added a new item to the long list of Greenland Ice Sheet woes. Along with snow-darkening algae and increasing rainfall, giant slabs of ice have been thickening and spreading under the Greenland snow at an average rate of two football fields per minute since 2001, new research shows.

The slabs prevent surface meltwater from trickling down and being absorbed by the snow. Instead, more water pours off the surface of the ice sheet and into the ocean.

That's speeding Greenland's contribution to sea level rise, said University of Liege climate researcher Xavier Fettweis, a co-author of a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature. "It is very likely that the current climate models overestimate the meltwater retention capacity of the ice sheet and underestimate the projected sea level rise coming from Greenland ... by a factor of two or three," he said.