Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's new in Greenland?  (Read 317994 times)

blumenkraft

Re: What's new in Greenland?
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2019, 06:28:30 PM »
Finally, Trump is taking climate change into his own hands and makes it an American issue!
*sarcasm*

That's a good one!

Also, since i never said it before, welcome to the forum Renerpho. Really nice to meet you. :)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #451 on: August 16, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
'Lol Tor .. Trump could never spoil my day .. village idiots are no threat to each other :) . He probably wants to market  ' Trump ice ' .. buy now before it's gone'  .. or 'help re-green Greenland .. burn some extra gas today ' .. the dumb bald rump rocks ! b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #452 on: August 16, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »
Trump Wants to Buy Greenland

August 15, 2019 at 5:33 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 116 Comments

“President Trump made his name on the world’s most famous island. Now he wants to buy the world’s biggest,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

“The idea of the U.S. purchasing Greenland has captured the former real-estate developer’s imagination, according to people familiar with the deliberations, who said Mr. Trump has, with varying degrees of seriousness, repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.”

Sorry to spoil your day, b.c.  :'(

Edit: I should say sorry to Espen, too.
I am indifferent, I saw this coming and it will be the biggest chess game we have ever seen, another battleground when it comes to the game the US and China is playing at the moment, I would say the island (Greenland) could be sold for something like 1.200 Billion dollars or about 20.000.000 USD per REAL citizen of Greenland, and that is dirty cheap, maybe even more depends how far the Chinese wants to go, and you got to remember it is not Denmark who can sell this, it is only Greenland and its people who can decide, and Denmark will loose all their negotiating power when Greenland is not on the table. The Trump would not be in Copenhagen in 2 weeks time if it was not because of Greenland!!!!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:25:57 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 16, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
Trump Wants to Buy Greenland

August 15, 2019 at 5:33 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 116 Comments

“President Trump made his name on the world’s most famous island. Now he wants to buy the world’s biggest,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

“The idea of the U.S. purchasing Greenland has captured the former real-estate developer’s imagination, according to people familiar with the deliberations, who said Mr. Trump has, with varying degrees of seriousness, repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.”

Sorry to spoil your day, b.c.  :'(

Edit: I should say sorry to Espen, too.
I am indifferent, I saw this coming and it will be the biggest chess game we have ever seen, another battleground when it comes to the game the US and China is playing at the moment, I would say the island (Greenland) could be sold for something like 1.200 Billion dollars or about 20.000.000 USD per REAL Greenlanders, and that is dirty cheap, maybe even more depends how far the Chinese wants to go, and you got to remember it is not Denmark who can sell this, it is only Greenland and its people who can decide, and Denmark will loose all their negotiating power when Greenland is not on the table!

And the worst scenario for The Trump,  China can buy all of Greenland for the value China got in US Bonds (debt)!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:23:57 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #454 on: August 17, 2019, 07:29:20 PM »

750 × 652
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #455 on: August 17, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/463978d56972479c89a588603fb3783b
When University of Georgia ice scientist Tom Mote, who isn’t part of this project, started studying Greenland’s glaciers in the early 1990s, researchers really didn’t think the water was a big factor.
Willis’ project — called Oceans Melting Greenland, or OMG — is showing that it is. Now the question is how much and how fast.
What Willis is measuring is the water 660 feet (200 meters) or more below the surface, which is warmer and saltier than the stuff that touches the air. It’s this deep water that does the major damage.
To measure this, NASA is spending five years crisscrossing the island in a tricked-out 77-year-old DC-3 built for World War II. Willis, project manager Ian McCubbin and mechanic Rich Gill drop long, cylindrical probes through a special tube in the floor of the plane, watching as the sensors parachute down and then dive into the chilly water.

https://www.channel4.com/news/climate-change-hitting-remote-greenland-communities-hard
July was the hottest month on Earth since records began, according to meteorologists. All this week we’ve been reporting from Greenland on the dramatic impact global warming is having on the ice shelf. Scientists say Greenland’s ice is melting at a rate they were not expecting to see until 50 years time.
Our Chief Correspondent Alex Thomson looks at the effect climate change is having on the small communities of people that live in this rapidly changing wilderness.

Renerpho

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #456 on: August 19, 2019, 04:12:24 AM »
Also, since i never said it before, welcome to the forum Renerpho. Really nice to meet you. :)

Thanks, blumenkraft! Nice to meet you, too.  :)

Both the Danish and the Greenland prime ministers have commented on the issue. It looks like Greenland wasn't for sale in 1946, and it isn't for sale in 2019.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-greenland/danish-pm-says-idea-of-selling-greenland-to-us-is-absurd-idUSKCN1V80M0

Quote from: Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen
Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously.
Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen
Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously.

Why does TRump need to control the lands close to the east of the USA?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

blumenkraft

« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2019, 05:25:40 PM »

He is an unfathomably stupid child with dementia. What do you expect?

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
A little birdie told me that some of Greenland's minerals are subject to Australian control. Would that be Gina Rinehart, of ill repute (she owns phosphorus mine in Yorkshire, if you didn't know)? Adani (the coal baron set on making billions off poisoning the Pacific and Indian subcontinents?
https://www.arctictoday.com/decade-greenland-rare-earths-mine-close-final-approval/

China, of course, would be very very interested, and they're good at taking advantage. However, I have a healthy respect for the Danes.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
An interesting CNN video about Nasa's measuring of the sea water temperature profile around Greenland..... and what it warns us about sealevels.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/19/weather/greenland-nasa-climate-battle-intl/index.html

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
I read somewhere that after the last glaciation, in most places land rose, but in other places sunk.

I am not talking about changes in sea level but isostatic rebound.

Attached is my absolutely awful graphic about it.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

RoxTheGeologist

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:01 PM »

Here's a map of the ups and downs.

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2019, 12:43:42 AM »
Not exactly new, and perhaps posted previously, but this Comment is informative and well written:

Published: 16 July 2018
Hydrology and the future of the Greenland Ice Sheet
Gwenn E. Flowers
Nature Communications, volume 9, Article number: 2729 (2018)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05002-0

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2019, 12:28:18 AM »
On one of the hottest days this summer, locals in the tiny village of Kulusuk, Greenland, heard what sounded like an explosion. It turned out to be a soccer field's worth of ice breaking off a glacier more than five miles away.
Greenland lost 12.5 billion tons of ice to melting on August 2, the largest single-day loss in recorded history and another stark reminder of the climate crisis.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/weather/greenland-nasa-climate-battle-intl/index.html

Helheim Glacier, Greenland • This is where Earth’s refrigerator door is left open, where glaciers dwindle and seas begin to rise.
New York University air and ocean scientist David Holland, who is tracking what's happening in Greenland from both above and below, calls it "the end of the planet." He is referring to geography more than the future. Yet in many ways this place is where the planet's warmer and watery future is being written.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2019/08/20/earths-future-being/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:42:29 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2019, 05:16:03 AM »

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #466 on: August 23, 2019, 01:07:03 AM »
Hi
Long Time lurker....
As i like Espens quest searching for new Islands
I couldn’t find this one (if it is one) on any map
NE corner of greenland Sentinel Image 22 AUG 19
8150N1630W
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:19:55 AM by Stumbi »
Life is wonderful Nobody said it is easy

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
Just trying to post it again

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 24, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi
Long Time lurker....
8150N1630W

Hello Stumbi, I cant recognize the area, could you be more specific than NE Corner og Greenland
Have a ice day!

philopek

« Reply #469 on: August 24, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »
Hi
Long Time lurker....
8150N1630W

Hello Stumbi, I cant recognize the area, could you be more specific than NE Corner og Greenland

At least according to the coordinates that can't be precise as far as i can see, also i didn'd find a sat image that comes close to it, searching furhter

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 24, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
Hi Philopek is about right NE of station Nord, WNW of cap prins knut
Larger area jpeg.. Little Island top middle
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:15:39 PM by Stumbi »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »
Hello Stumbi , I found it, it is called Kolon Ø and is mapped see below:
Have a ice day!

Stumbi

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 25, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
Thx Espen
I hope it was at least a little challenge

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #473 on: August 26, 2019, 01:34:27 AM »

Maybe Trump wants to buy the Amazon, I'm sure he's the type to be interested in fire sales !
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

philopek

« Reply #474 on: August 26, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »

Maybe Trump wants to buy the Amazon, I'm sure he's the type to be interested in fire sales !

And he's envious on Canadians having large access to the Arctic and he's afraid of Putin on the other side. A future geopolitical loser while the losing part will be self-inflicted and not dependent on the answer to the "Arctic Question"

I'm just brainstorming with a smirk.

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #475 on: August 27, 2019, 01:16:04 AM »

And he's envious on Canadians having large access to the Arctic and he's afraid of Putin on the other side. A future geopolitical loser while the losing part will be self-inflicted and not dependent on the answer to the "Arctic Question"

I'm just brainstorming with a smirk.

Don't forget Trump is Denier in Chief and IMO is distracting from world headlines of dramatic Greenland melt by his incessant oxygen thieving Tweets.

If you raise the issue of Greenland melting these days, the hilarity of Don's Tweets will come up, as it does if you Google Greenland news.

Fake news par excellence.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #476 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:43 PM »
Greenland: 'It's scary to see the ice melting'
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-49583801/greenland-it-s-scary-to-see-the-ice-melting
Three young Greenlanders witnessing the ice caps melting have expressed worry about the impact that would make on other countries.

Scientists researching the Greenland ice sheet say this summer‘s melting has raised the level of the oceans, adding that the rate of melting is accelerating and will increasingly threaten millions of people living in coastal cities and low-lying areas around the world.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
Danish newspaper Politiken today had a frontpage story:

https://politiken.dk/klima/art7361623/Danmark-bremser-vigtig-klimaforskning-ved-Grønland

Apparently, the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been very reluctant to allow a Swiss-led expedition to circumnavigate Greenland this year.

One of the sticky points seems to be that the 45 researchers would need assistance from two Russian ice-breakers to get around.

Climate researchers are optimistic that the cruise will take place next year.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 09, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
Danish newspaper Politiken today had a frontpage story:

https://politiken.dk/klima/art7361623/Danmark-bremser-vigtig-klimaforskning-ved-Grønland

Apparently, the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been very reluctant to allow a Swiss-led expedition to circumnavigate Greenland this year.

One of the sticky points seems to be that the 45 researchers would need assistance from two Russian ice-breakers to get around.

Climate researchers are optimistic that the cruise will take place next year.

There could be other reasons too, the trip around Greenland via Nares Strædet is probably the only trip left that was never done, and I know from rumors that a private arrangement was underway for letting some very well to do people getting the honours of being the first to do so.
Have a ice day!

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2019, 03:23:40 AM »
uk's Channel 4 news yesterday evening highlighted the horrific level of dumping on the shores of Greenland .. what I had imagined pristine shores are covered in 1000's of tons of toxic filth and plastic .
 As they filmed another trailor load of heavy duty black bags of human waste and a dead dog or 2 were tipped beside the thousands already there . They ooze into the sea . All around on every beach anywhere near a settlement of any size the filth was blowing and flowing into the sea . just b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 18, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Greenland's Growing 'Ice Slabs' Intensify Meltwater Runoff Into Ocean
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-greenland-ice-slabs-meltwater-runoff.html

Thick, impenetrable ice slabs are expanding rapidly on the interior of Greenland's ice sheet, where the ice is normally porous and able to reabsorb meltwater. These slabs are instead sending meltwater spilling into the ocean, according to a new CIRES-led assessment, threatening to increase the country's contribution to sea level rise by as much as 2.9 inches by 2100.

... In 2000, Greenland's runoff zone—the region of the ice sheet where runoff contributes to sea level rise—was roughly the size of New Mexico. Between 2001 and 2013, ice slabs expanded the runoff zone by about 65,000 km2—that's an average pace of two American football fields a minute. By 2100, as Earth's temperatures continue to climb and ice slabs continue to grow, the runoff zone could expand by the size of Colorado under a moderate emissions scenario, the team found. That would raise seas by an extra quarter inch to just over an inch (7-33 mm).

Under a higher emissions scenario, with greater release of greenhouse gases, the runoff zone could increase by the size of Texas, according to the new paper, contributing an extra half inch to nearly three inches (17-74 mm) of sea-level rise. The runoff estimates from ice slabs are in addition to other sources of sea-level rise from Greenland, such as calving icebergs.

Rapid expansion of Greenland's low-permeability ice slabs, Nature (2019)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 19, 2019, 02:32:49 AM »
Thanks bluesky  :)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #483 on: September 21, 2019, 12:04:39 AM »
With Greenland's Extreme Melting, a New Risk Grows: Ice Slabs That Worsen Runoff
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/18092019/greenland-ice-sheet-melting-sea-level-rise-climate-change-heat-wave-study
Scientists have added a new item to the long list of Greenland Ice Sheet woes. Along with snow-darkening algae and increasing rainfall, giant slabs of ice have been thickening and spreading under the Greenland snow at an average rate of two football fields per minute since 2001, new research shows.

The slabs prevent surface meltwater from trickling down and being absorbed by the snow. Instead, more water pours off the surface of the ice sheet and into the ocean.

That's speeding Greenland's contribution to sea level rise, said University of Liege climate researcher Xavier Fettweis, a co-author of a study published Wednesday in the journal Nature. "It is very likely that the current climate models overestimate the meltwater retention capacity of the ice sheet and underestimate the projected sea level rise coming from Greenland ... by a factor of two or three," he said.

blumenkraft

« Reply #484 on: September 27, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
What's old in Greenland?

Project Iceworm was a top secret United States Army program of the Cold War, which aimed to build a network of mobile nuclear missile launch sites under the Greenland ice sheet. The ultimate objective of placing medium-range missiles under the ice — close enough to strike targets within the Soviet Union — was kept secret from the Government of Denmark. To study the feasibility of working under the ice, a highly publicized "cover" project, known as Camp Century, was launched in 1960.[1] Unstable ice conditions within the ice sheet caused the project to be canceled in 1966.

When the camp was decommissioned in 1967, its infrastructure and waste were abandoned under the assumption they would be entombed forever by perpetual snowfall. A 2016 study found that the portion of the ice sheet covering Camp Century will start to melt by 2100, if current trends continue.[11] When the ice melts, the camp’s infrastructure, as well as remaining biological, chemical and radioactive waste, will re-enter the environment and potentially disrupt nearby ecosystems. This includes 200,000 liters of diesel, PCBs and radioactive waste.

Link >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm

Reginald

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #485 on: October 30, 2019, 03:43:39 AM »
Ancient soil from secret Greenland base suggests Earth could lose a lot of ice

Science, By Paul Voosen, October 29, 2019

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/ancient-soil-secret-greenland-base-suggests-earth-could-lose-lot-ice

BURLINGTON, VERMONT—In one of the Cold War’s oddest experiments, the United States dug a 300-meter-long military base called Camp Century into the ice of northwest Greenland in the early 1960s, powered it with a nuclear reactor, and set out to test the feasibility of shuttling nuclear missiles beneath the ice. A constant struggle against intruding snow doomed the base, which was abandoned in 1966. But Camp Century has left a lasting, entirely nonmilitary legacy: a 1.3-kilometer-long ice core drilled at the site.

The core, extracted by a team that included glaciologist Chester Langway, yielded a record of past temperatures that helped kick off studies of Earth’s ancient climate. And last week, dozens of scientists met here at the University of Vermont (UVM) to take stock of another gift from the core: mud from Greenland’s ancient land surface, serendipitously discovered in archived samples. New analyses of the mud suggest Greenland’s massive ice sheet was largely absent in a warm period during the past million years when the global climate was much like today’s. The samples likely have more stories to tell, UVM geophysicist Paul Bierman said at the gathering, which he organized to discuss recent results and plan further analyses. “There is a lot of new data, 90% of which seemed to be generated in the last 48 hours.”

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #486 on: October 30, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Great discovery, thanks!
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
not sure this NASA news that the NOA shift has lead to a slower and thickening of Jakobshavn  glacier, as said in the article, not a proper recovery of the glacier but a results of the natural shift in NOA

https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/

In March, a NASA-led research team announced that Jakobshavn Isbrae, Greenland's fastest-flowing and thinning glacier over the past two decades, is now flowing more slowly, thickening and advancing toward the ocean instead of retreating farther inland.
On the surface, that sounds like great news. After all, if this glacial behemoth, which drains seven percent of Greenland, is slowing, certainly that must mean that global warming is also slowing, right?
Wrong. The findings have been interpreted that way by some, suggesting that the study results were evidence that global warming is slowing or stopping. However, the facts paint a different picture, as a quick review of the study’s key findings illustrates. To recap:
The recent changes in Jakobshavn, located on Greenland’s west coast, are attributed to the 2016 cooling of an ocean current that carries water to the glacier’s ocean face, likely due to a shift in the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) that took place in 2015. The NAO is an oceanic climate pattern that causes northern Atlantic water temperatures to alternate between warm and cold every five to 20 years. The glacier’s dramatic slowdown coincided with the arrival of the cooler waters near Jakobshavn that summer.
Water temperatures near the glacier are now colder than they’ve been since the mid-1980s. The colder water isn’t melting the ice at the front of and beneath the glacier as quickly as the warmer water did.
Jakobshavn’s changes are temporary. When the NAO flips again, the glacier will most likely resume accelerating and thinning, as warm waters return to continue melting it from beneath.
Following the study’s publication, additional analyses show Jakobshavn grew thicker by 22 and 33 yards (20 to 30 meters)

blumenkraft

« Reply #488 on: November 07, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
Interesting read!

Greenland melts more when the flow of sea ice to Fram Strait slows

Link >> https://eh2r.blogspot.com/2019/11/greenland-melts-more-when-flow-of-sea.html

ms

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #489 on: November 08, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
It seems that the Greenland Ice sheet was reacting very quickly to changes during last glacial.

Abstract

Although geological and modelling evidence indicate that the last glacial inception in North America was in NE Canada, little is known about the glacial response of the nearby western Greenland Ice Sheet (GIS) during the glacial advance of marine oxygen isotope stage 4 (MIS4). Our multi-proxy study of a marine sediment core collected about 60 km southwest of the Outer Hellefisk Moraines demonstrates that in the southern Davis Strait region the most extreme Greenland shelf glaciation of the last glacial cycle occurred during MIS 4, with another prominent glacial advance at 37–33 kyr BP. During those periods the GIS likely reached the Outer Hellefisk Moraines in this area. Except for these two periods, our data suggest significant advection of relatively warm Irminger Sea Water by the West Greenland Current since MIS 4. This advection likely limited the extent of the MIS2 glaciation on the SW Greenland shelf. Decreased precipitation over southwestern Greenland predicted by atmospheric models as a downstream effect of a much larger MIS2 Laurentide Ice Sheet may have played an additional role.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-51983-3

and
https://videnskab.dk/naturvidenskab/groenlands-indlandsis-kan-reagere-hurtigt-og-uventet-paa-klimaforandringer
(popular version in Danish)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #490 on: December 03, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
Drone images show Greenland ice sheet becoming more unstable as it fractures
December 2, 2019 , University of Cambridge  [paper in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences - cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1913685116 -  Thomas R. Chudley el al., "Supraglacial lake drainage at a fast-flowing Greenlandic outlet glacier,"]
The world's second-largest ice sheet, and the single largest contributor to global sea-level rise, is potentially becoming unstable because of fractures developing in response to faster ice flow and more meltwater forming on its surface.
The findings show that fast-flowing glaciers in Greenland are subject to significant forcing by surface meltwater. They also show that changes in ice flow occur on much shorter timescales than considered possible so far.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:21:55 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 03, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »
In just five hours, five million cubic metres of water drained to the bottom of the ice sheet via the fracture, causing a new cavity to form and reducing the lake to a third of its original volume. This caused the ice flow to accelerate from a speed of two metres per day to more than five metres per day as surface water was transferred to the bed, which in turn lifted the ice sheet by half a metre.

That is impressive. Cool research.  8)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #492 on: December 03, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
Any of you remember being reassured by some scientists about how many thousands of years it would take to melt the Greenland ice sheet no matter how high CO2 ppm would get?

Oh, I wish I had saved some of that complacent smug stuff.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 03, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Well that is what sort of triggers me recently. Basically in the early nineties ice failure in the Arctic ice would be 2040s stuff. Then there were some bad years in the late nineties and it got worse.

But well thats just floating ice...

Greenland was much further down the timeline and Antarctica was not happening in centuries....guess it was the time when it still gained mass.

Now we can see a lot more and we see Greenland is not just a cube slowly melting because we know more about the bottom and we learn more about the interior.

And Antarctica is not in a great shape either.

Then my personal pet pieve. Stopping global warming meant stopping the permafrost from turning into a source but that already happened. Lets see if they can close the carbon gap this blah blah session.

While at the other end Bolsonaro is doing his best to stop Leonardo the Caprio from torching the Amazon because he is long on soy or whatever. If you had told me this in the early nighties i would never have believed you.

BTW i don´t think it was all complacent smug stuff because we knew less. A lot was unthinkable and the amount of computing power limited the testing of already too simple ideas.

The world could have poured millions more into climate research and acted on it but it chose not to do that. 

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #494 on: December 03, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Great posts imo. Thanks for the good reads gerontocrat and kassy. I'm having difficulties with adding smileys because of the context.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 10, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »
Greenland Ice Losses Rising Faster Than Expected
https://phys.org/news/2019-12-greenland-ice-losses-faster.html

Greenland is losing ice seven times faster than in the 1990s and is tracking the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's high-end climate warming scenario, which would see 40 million more people exposed to coastal flooding by 2100.

... The findings, published today in Nature today, show that Greenland has lost 3.8 trillion tonnes of ice since 1992—enough to push global sea levels up by 10.6 millimetres. The rate of ice loss has risen from 33 billion tonnes per year in the 1990s to 254 billion tonnes per year in the last decade—a seven-fold increase within three decades.

In 2013, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicted that global sea levels will rise by 60 centimetres by 2100, putting 360 million people at risk of annual coastal flooding. But this new study shows that Greenland's ice losses are rising faster than expected and are instead tracking the IPCC's high-end climate warming scenario, which predicts 7 centimetres more.

Mass balance of the Greenland Ice Sheet from 1992 to 2018, Nature (2019)

Reginald

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2019, 09:26:00 PM »
Greenland’s Nearing a Climate Tipping Point. How Long Warming Lasts Will Decide Its Fate, Study Says

Past meltdowns occurred with temperatures only slightly higher than today's, suggesting the world is overestimating the ice sheet's stability, scientists say.

Inside Climate News, By Bob Berwyn, December 23

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/23122019/greenland-ice-sheet-climate-tipping-point-temperature-duration-sea-level-rise-pnas-study

There's new evidence that, in past geologic eras, much of Greenland's ice melted when Earth's temperatures were only slightly warmer than today's, and that human-caused global warming will push the ice sheet past that tipping point in the next few decades.

Exactly how much of the ice melts, and how fast, depends in large part on how long temperatures stay above that threshold, scientists write in a study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The findings are a warning that we are probably overestimating the stability of the Greenland Ice Sheet, said University of Bergen paleoclimatologist Ulysses S. Ninnemann, the study's lead author.

====

A low climate threshold for south Greenland Ice Sheet demise during the Late Pleistocene

PNAS, Nil Irvalı, Eirik V. Galaasen, Ulysses S. Ninnemann, Yair Rosenthal, Andreas Born, and Helga (Kikki) F. Kleiven, December 23

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/12/17/1911902116

Abstract

The Greenland Ice Sheet (GIS) has been losing mass at an accelerating rate over the recent decades. Models suggest a possible temperature threshold between 0.8 and 3.2 °C, beyond which GIS decline becomes irreversible. The duration of warmth above a given threshold is also a critical determinant for GIS survival, underlining the role of ocean warming, as its inertia prolongs warmth and triggers longer-term feedbacks. The exact point at which these feedbacks are triggered remains equivocal. Late Pleistocene interglacials provide potential case examples for constraining the past response of the GIS to a range of climate states, including conditions warmer than present. However, little is known about the magnitude and duration of warming near Greenland during these periods. Using high-resolution multiproxy surface ocean climate records off southern Greenland, we show that the previous 4 interglacials over the last ∼450 ka all reached warmer than present climate conditions and exceeded the modeled temperature threshold for GIS collapse but by different magnitudes and durations. Complete deglaciation of the southern GIS in Marine Isotope Stage 11c (MIS 11c; 394.7 to 424.2 ka) occurred under climates only slightly warmer than present (∼0.5 ± 1.6 °C), placing the temperature threshold for major GIS retreat in the lower end of model estimates and within projections for this century.

blumenkraft

« Reply #497 on: January 03, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »
How big is Greenland?

by Andreas Muenchow

Link >> https://icyseas.org/2020/01/02/how-big-is-greenland/

blumenkraft

« Reply #498 on: January 14, 2020, 06:09:25 PM »
Earthquake!

M 4.4
192km ENE of Nord, Greenland
2020-01-14 14:33:27 (UTC)
82.460°N 6.486°W
10.0 km depth

Link >> https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70006zmb/executive

TobiR

• NewMembers
  • New ice
  • Forgive me, for I have sinned.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:30 PM »
The Arctic Is Getting Greener.

This bit may provide an explanation for higher then usual snow mass vs average snow extent in the arctic:
For instance, taller shrub canopies trap more snow in the winter, instead of allowing the stuff to blow around the tundra. This snow might build into an insulating layer that could prevent the cold from penetrating the soil. “So that accelerates—potentially—the thaw of permafrost,” says Myers-Smith.