Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Hyperloop  (Read 189729 times)

Shared Humanity

Re: The Hyperloop
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2019, 02:19:07 AM »
Most of the route will be along an existing highway.

Will. I have been in Pune recently. They need infrastructure money for buses, trains and roads ( they are awfully crowded ) and not spend money on things like hyperloop. Really??? Most people have barely enough money to travel with autorickshaw or a scooter for a family of four. Ridiculous display of excessive wealth divide.

This thread on hyperloops is a great example of an answer to the wrong question.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2019, 08:55:51 AM »

Will. I have been in Pune recently. They need infrastructure money for buses, trains and roads ( they are awfully crowded ) and not spend money on things like hyperloop. Really??? Most people have barely enough money to travel with autorickshaw or a scooter for a family of four. Ridiculous display of excessive wealth divide.

I believe this project, which was to begin this year is discussed above beginning at #553 - just after an announcement that Ukraine was expecting a Hyperloop in it's near future.

Other than the likelihood that politicians in both regions might be very susceptible to monied interests from afar, I can't see much that is similar between the two regions other than their shared poverty.

Another possibility occurred to me as I was writing this. I might not appreciate the sights and smells of being in close proximity to either India's poor or Ukraine's Nazis. If I were a well off local in either location I might become quite enamored of a system that the community would pay for which would allow me to travel about with minimal fear of Nazi gangs or loathing of India's impoverished hoards.

As alluded to by our good DrT, this form of transportation very effectively divides the haves from their less successful brethren, perhaps this is reason enough to declare the Hyperloop a municipal asset?
Terry

P.S.
I assume there are still no plans for this to be an actual evacuated tube maglev. The route is too short and the corners are far too tight.

What we're discussing here is a small, above ground, limited access, low density subway that will toddle about at far less than sonic speeds, at a fare that only the elite can meet  - but to be paid for, at least in part by municipal funds.

What a wonderful leap into the future!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »

• the price of a ride is still unknown
• taking hundreds or thousands of vehicles off the road makes road travel easier for others, and lessens future damage to it
• shortening the travel time between the two regions makes it possible to live outside of the already crowded city, yet still work there.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 02, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
The Hype in Vegas seems to be wearing a little thin.

6 modified Model Xs will be required carrying 16 people each. (Plus driver?)
As there are no provisions for turning about they'll run both forwards and backwards.
When in operation in 2021 each modified X will have a driver?
Hyperloop will be held responsible if vibrations while building or operating interfere with the existing monorail (purchased from Disney World  :-\ [size=78%])[/size]
Making their 4.4k passengers/hr commitment won't allow much time for boarding/exiting.

Gripes about the project, but has links to the plans.
https://jalopnik.com/elon-musks-las-vegas-tunnel-kind-of-sucks-1836890921

More on the monorail's position, and questions about the 1 minute station to station timing.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/01/its-fight-night-in-las-vegas-elon-musks-loop-vs-the-monorail/

Neither of the above make it clear whether the driver is included as one of the 16 occupants & both question why in 2021 a driver would be necessary on such a "closed" system.

One of my questions has always been the likelihood of caliche. Caliche is an extremely hard concretion that underlies much of Las Vegas and the reason that swimming pools are shallow and basements non existent. Generally D8 dozers with pole driving claws, as well as explosives, are required to break it up.
If they hit caliche it's going to slow things down considerably, especially as monorail vibrations have become a matter of contention.
They'll be starting this September.

This project needs to be up and running by Jan.1 2021 when CES opens, no "Musk Time" allowed.

Terry

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #604 on: August 02, 2019, 11:31:36 PM »
My laymen understanding of tunneling is that hard rock is great. If it is especially hard it might cause it to slow down and wear through more bits but it isn't a problem. If it is dirt, clay or aggregate that is what stops tunneling machines.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 03, 2019, 01:00:02 AM »
My laymen understanding of tunneling is that hard rock is great. If it is especially hard it might cause it to slow down and wear through more bits but it isn't a problem. If it is dirt, clay or aggregate that is what stops tunneling machines.

Caliche is a bitch. It's not a rock as such but rather a very difficult concretion to get through. If you're ever in Las Vegas and hear what sounds like artillery from some ways off, that will be the sounds of caliche being dynamited where a roadway, a sewer or a swimming pool is under construction.

In 2015 they used a $25mm state of the art digging machine to put in the "third straw" sucking water from Lake Mead to the city's water plant . It took 6 years $817mm and one man's life to complete the 3 mile tunnel through rock and caliche.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 03, 2019, 01:36:09 AM »
**sigh**

• The site plans were revised in July — after the meeting quoted in the article above.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6225033-19-0429-2019-7-8-Revised-Plan-and-Photo-VERY-GOOD.html

• There are two tunnels, one for each direction.  Easy enough to make a platform at the end of a tunnel, which rotates the car and moves it to the other tunnel — if needed.

Of course there will be safety officers in the cars, especially in the beginning.  People are stupid, reckless, and have no compunction about damaging property.

• TBC/Tesla has already run Model Xs autonomously through the Hawthorne test tunnel at speed.

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #607 on: August 03, 2019, 02:03:50 AM »
The US doesn't even have regular high speed rail. What makes anyone think a sci-fi version would be viable?

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #608 on: August 03, 2019, 02:05:03 AM »
The US doesn't even have regular high speed rail. What makes anyone think a sci-fi version would be viable?

Because Elon is building it .... /sarc

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #609 on: August 03, 2019, 02:08:53 AM »
 :o :D

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 03, 2019, 03:54:37 AM »
Sig
The revisions seem to consist of 3 pages. A diagram, a photo shopped picture, and a 2 bullet point typed page.

TBC is contracted to provide transportation to 4400 per hour for the opening of CES in January 2021. 3 stations will need to be excavated, the existing monorail must not be "vibrated", 3 tunnels need to be completed, permits need to be pulled and inspections need to be signed off.

Las Vegas - or rather Winchester Township, can be as fussy as hell if they get it into their heads that the suckers visitors might be inconvenienced. The inspectors can be are slow, cranky, and they insist on doing things their way - even when their way is in no way the right way.

We'll know a little more in September, and it will all be over when CES opens their doors.

Any odds on whether the Monorail tries throttle their prospective competition while it's still in the crib?
Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 04, 2019, 02:04:38 AM »
I believe Elon had been quoted to say that the Las Vegas Tunnels would be completed this year.
In May he stated that construction would be starting in July -(last month).
This month they're slated to begin in September.

Elon time will run into a brick wall when CES opens Jan. 2021.
Terry

Gumbercules

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #612 on: August 04, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
Terry,

Before SpaceX, there has never been a rocket that reached orbit (orbital velocity) and survived re-entry to land.  Let alone was launched to orbit and re-landed a second time.  Or a third time!

Did Musk actually do that? I watched one of the launches earlier this year. Two first stages landed simultaneously. The first stages re-landed. But I don't think any final stage (the stage that reaches orbit) was re-landed. The reason is you can't re-land from orbit (17,500 mph minimum) without a heat shield.

So I believe your statement is wrong. And not just wrong, but hugely wrong. Slowing down from a couple thousand miles per hour is nothing like slowing down from 17,500 mph. Literally nothing. That's why single stage to orbit is such a big deal. It's why the Space Shuttle was such a waste of money and why it killed one of the two killed crews.

No launch vehicle has ever propelled itself to orbit then landed under power. The space shuttle just glided, after riding inside a fireball, and was just barely reusable. The amount of refurbishment after each landing was enormous.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 07:29:38 PM by Gumbercules »

Gumbercules

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 04, 2019, 07:23:03 PM »
Ah, Thunderf00t. The Youtuber who knows a little about chemistry is considered a scientist now.

What's gonna be shared next? Harris or Peterson?

Yeah, what a slippery slope this Youtube thingy is...

At least I provide context when I post a video.

Thunderf00t IS a scientist. Are you?

Thunderf00t is the name of the youtube channel of a real human scientist named Phil Mason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Mason

"Mason received a BSc (2:1) (1993) and PhD (1997) in chemistry from the University of Birmingham.[3] From 2003[4] until at least August 2010, Mason was affiliated with the University of Bristol.[5]"

"Mason worked at Cornell University's department of food science from 2002 until 2012, where he studied the molecular interactions between water and sugar molecules,[6] as well as molecular modeling with regard to proteins and guanidinium solutions. As of 2013, he was working at the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic as a member of a research group headed by Pavel Jungwirth.[3] Mason has argued that alkali metal reactions with water can cause a Coulomb explosion.[7][8]"

Lol, attacking Harris and Peterson. Why am I not even slightly surprised. I bet you won't attack them on substance, just on ad hominem.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:35:20 PM by Gumbercules »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #614 on: August 04, 2019, 10:39:11 PM »
There are plenty of ways to 'attack' Peterson and Harris on substance, and the Internet is full of them, but let's stay on-topic and move any SpaceX discussion to the appropriate thread.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 05, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »
Why we need the Hyperloop!

... public transit is both inconvenient and dangerous. “It’s a pain in the ass,” he said. “That’s why everyone doesn’t like it. And there’s like a bunch of random strangers, one of who might be a serial killer,"...
E.M.

When the sheltered son of an South African Emerald Mine owner fears "random strangers" because one might be a "serial killer" - it doesn't require too much of a stretch to read between the lines.[/font]

From a very expensive grade school (love the Olympic Pool), through extremely prestigious high schools (with a second pool for water polo), in Apartheid South Africa our young Elon Lord of Mars wouldn't have been expected to share a bus with "them". It might even have been a capital offense for one of "them" to attempt to gain access to any means of transportation occupied by the white occupiers!

A private airplane, gorgeous yacht or secure limousine where "they" didn't get any closer than polishing the rims or buffing the brightwork were the means of travel our Green Messiah was familiar with. And of course the dreaded (by "them) STF kept a sharp eye out for "serial killers" & "random strangers"

https://archinect.com/news/article/150042726/dear-elon-musk-keep-your-hands-off-our-public-infrastructure

Terry

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #616 on: August 05, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »

... public transit is both inconvenient and dangerous. “It’s a pain in the ass,” he said. “That’s why everyone doesn’t like it. And there’s like a bunch of random strangers, one of who might be a serial killer,"...
E.M.

When the sheltered son of an South African Emerald Mine owner fears "random strangers" because one might be a "serial killer" - it doesn't require too much of a stretch to read between the lines.[/font]

Jeez,Terry. Seems you have an axe to grind.

Is there something specific you would like to tell Elon ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #617 on: August 05, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
Did you think Elons quote on public transport made sense, Rob?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 05, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »

<snipped>

Is there something specific you would like to tell Elon ?

I don't even have anything I'd like to tell you !
Terry

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
Even Musk dis not think it made sense, and has already made a 180 turn on the issue.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »

Hmmm...the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) provides on average 1.7 million rides a day during the week, less on weekends. This is only within the city boundaries and does not include the RTA which runs in the suburbs or Metra trains which mainly take suburbanites to their jobs downtown.

Elon really needs to get out more.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:33:21 PM by Shared Humanity »

Gumbercules

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 05, 2019, 11:24:31 PM »
Even Musk dis not think it made sense, and has already made a 180 turn on the issue.

He was probably sleep-deprived, drunk, or high, when he said this. Anyway, he's not a people person.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 06, 2019, 03:06:28 AM »
Should those of us that are not terrified by the possibility of rubbing shoulders with "them" be demanding that our legislators invest in electrified buses, trams and trains - with funds now earmarked for Hyperloops, EVs (and charging facilities for private vehicles)?

The Indian Hyperloop is estimated to cost in excess of $10B - imagine what $10B could do if spent on free buses, subsidized passenger rail and improved freight handling facilities.

Even in Las Vegas a series of increasingly rapid sidewalks would allow CES participants to interact with other attendees, view the exhibits, (the reason they're attending in person), and enjoy the ambiance, as opposed to being cloistered in a subterranean pod with 15 others of their party.

Hyperloop is the solution for a problem that thankfully very few suffer from. Most of us appreciate the opportunity to meet with and interact with others - some of us even suffer from claustrophobia when confined in small places underground.
Why should the many finance the peculiar phobias of a tiny minority who could most generously be thought of as "agoraphobic".

Use public moneys to subsidize public transportation!
Even has a nice ring to it.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 06, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
A hyperloop IS public transportation. It is more efficient, in that all “pods” go directly to your destination; no stopping at stations you don’t want.  It would move more people using less energy than most forms of transportation, because it spends most of its time coasting.  It would improve quality of life, by allowing people to live some distance from the crowded city where they work (which now requires 3+ hours travel time by road); not adding to noise or air pollution; and not killing people at road crossings.  The cost may be less than new rail. 

The Las Vegas Loop (which is not a hyperloop) will transport people rapidly between convention spaces.  Traveling quickly .8 mile to the other side of the convention center in time for your next program is a requirement here.  Browsing slowly on a moving sidewalk is not a solution.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 06, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »
A hyperloop IS public transportation. It is more efficient, in that all “pods” go directly to your destination; no stopping at stations you don’t want.  It would move more people using less energy than most forms of transportation, because it spends most of its time coasting.  It would improve quality of life, by allowing people to live some distance from the crowded city where they work (which now requires 3+ hours travel time by road); not adding to noise or air pollution; and not killing people at road crossings.  The cost may be less than new rail. 

The Las Vegas Loop (which is not a hyperloop) will transport people rapidly between convention spaces.  Traveling quickly .8 mile to the other side of the convention center in time for your next program is a requirement here.  Browsing slowly on a moving sidewalk is not a solution.
At one time Elon was calling for it to be evacuated - which made no sense from my prospective - a vacuum for .8 miles?

When Musk switched to rubber tired modified cars - complete with driver -  it became little more than a Disney attraction for adults. Will anyone ride it twice?

Las Vegas has had a few of them over the years, Two very short monorails - one of which was never completed - but the pylons are (were) still standing in North Las Vegas when I left. Caesar's Palace had/has? a moving sidewalk that would whisk the suckers tourists in, but they were on their own should they ever wish to leave, then there was a monorail with one car that shuttled back and forth at less than a walking pace. ( no driver on that beast - it looked very futuristic in still photographs. :-\
The rest were killed in the womb by the taxi authority, always firmly in the pocket of the cab companies.

You're right. There isn't much left of Hyperloop left in what they're building. The Hype is still there, but the plans no longer show a Loop. Neither is it Mass Transportation, 4400 people can stroll .8th of a mile in far less than an hour. ;D

Terry

Gumbercules

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 06, 2019, 11:33:58 PM »

Can you do the calculation to determine how much energy it takes to generate the near vacuum at near sea level? How many times will the entire line have to be re-depressurized?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2019, 12:18:38 AM »
At one time Elon was calling for it to be evacuated...

This is incorrect.  The Las Vegas project was always envisioned to be a Loop, not a hyperloop.  Every Boring Company project announced so far has been a Loop — that is the reason they can contract for the project to be completed in such a short time. 
(TBC has not built a hyperloop test track, let alone contracted to build a full-scale one.  You may be thinking of the small-scale, above-ground hyperloop track at SpaceX, used to test student-built pods.)

From March (when we first learned about the project):

Elon Musk's Boring Company Lands Las Vegas Contract
https://interestingengineering.com/elon-musks-boring-company-lands-las-vegas-contract

Las Vegas bets on Elon Musk’s Boring Company for tunnel project
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18252302/boring-company-las-vegas-dig-plans-2021

A system like this might be necessary. The LVCC is already a sprawling facility (just ask Engadget's staff), but it'll be two miles across by the time the expansion is done -- that's a long walk if you're just trying to visit a booth at a trade show. It could also alleviate some of the pressure on existing transportation options like the monorail, shuttle vans, taxis and ridesharing services.
Las Vegas taps Elon Musk's Boring Company for transport project
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/06/las-vegas-boring-company-tunnels/

Why tunnels?
The benefits of subsurface transportation systems include:
   •   No surface noise and vibration. Tunnel construction and operation will be silent, invisible, and imperceptible at the surface.
   •   No communities divided with lanes and barriers. TBC will not use public surface right-of- way for construction or operation of its system.
   •   Comfortable and convenient for passengers. Higher speeds and straighter alignments are possible due to fewer subsurface right-of-way constraints.
   •   Weatherproof. Operation is unaffected by weather.
https://www.boringcompany.com/lvcc

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
We keep mixing the threads here. The Hyperloop is an unproven concept of vacuum tubes and very fast pods, which until implemented in real life somewhere in the world should not be taken seriously IMHO. Although it was first proposed by Elon Musk, it has no relation to the Boring Company, as far as I am aware, beyond some high words. Musk talks glibly of Loop and Hyperloop, but there is very little in common between them beyond the similar-sounding name.
There is a Boring Company general thread, where things like the LVCC "Loop" project should be discussed.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
We keep mixing the threads here....

I would not have worded the explanation quite the same way, but... yes. :D

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 09, 2019, 12:25:46 AM »
We keep mixing the threads here. The Hyperloop is an unproven concept of vacuum tubes and very fast pods, which until implemented in real life somewhere in the world should not be taken seriously IMHO. Although it was first proposed by Elon Musk, it has no relation to the Boring Company, as far as I am aware, beyond some high words. Musk talks glibly of Loop and Hyperloop, but there is very little in common between them beyond the similar-sounding name.
There is a Boring Company general thread, where things like the LVCC "Loop" project should be discussed.
^^Ramen^^

I assume that sometime after construction begins the Las Vegas Convention Authority project will deserve a thread of it's own.

The three stations, which will probably certainly be where the largest volume of dirt is removed will probably certainly be dug by conventional means by digging down from the surface.
The 3 adjoining tunnels may or may not be built with Musk's Boreing Machine - I believe this will be dependent on the composition of the soil they encounter.

If it's "backfill" a quick push through with the Boreing Machine's a no brainer.
If it's not too deep and consists of virgin caliche, cut and cover with dynamite & large "dozers" makes sense.
If it's expansive clay, the Boreing Machine works, but heaves and subsistence will cause major problems and delays.

All of the above are possible in the Las Vegas Valley, and a mix of the above is possible, perhaps likely.
We've had Casinos that were sinking erratically at > 1 foot/year - a subdivision where they could never keep the street lights standing vertically, houses from splitting apart or the sidewalks aligned with the driveways.

For decades portions of Stewart Avenue were roped off with snow fencing as the road's surface would heave with 4 foot hills that came and went as the sun crossed the sky.

Mega projects have been abandoned when calichi was discovered, and concrete block walls require 1 foot below ground for every foot above ground. That 12' high fence you see in Las Vegas is 18 feet high. The 6 foot underground section is to keep the visible parts from crumbling or tumbling.

Las Vegas's surface geology appears benign - but it's not.
Think of the drunken forests with melting permafrost beneath recreated for your enjoyment in the desert.

Terry

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #630 on: November 10, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
My own (inexpert) opinion is that the hyperloop concept is likely unworkable from a combined engineering/safety/economics standpoint.  However, it's still interesting.  Different regions around the world are going ahead with at least planning stages.

Northeast Ohio planners proposing a second hyperloop project to link Pittsburgh to Chicago via Cleveland
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2019/11/10/Hyperloop-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Chicago-Hyperloop-Transportation-Technologies-second-proposed-system/stories/201911090014

Farther down on the same web page is a related article:
Ohio planners looking at a 30-year timeline for hyperloop project between Pittsburgh and Chicago

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 10, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
But Elon has had verbal approval for the Ny-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop since 2017. New York to DC in less than 1/2 hour.

“Just received verbal [government] approval for the Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop,” [/size]Musk wrote in a July 20 tweet.[/color][/size] “NY-DC in 29 mins.”[/color]

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/elon-musk-hyperloop-plan-boring-company-2017-8
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 10, 2019, 07:06:47 PM »
Virgin Hyperloop One (@HyperloopOne) 10/24/19, 10:38 AM
Today we announced the results of our strategic study with @kaec_saudi, which found that building the world’s first extended test and certification hyperloop track in Saudi Arabia could increase Saudi GDP by $4 billion by 2030. Read more:

Hyperloop project to raise Saudi Arabia's GDP by $4bln, add 124,000 jobs
https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/story/Hyperloop_project_to_raise_Saudi_Arabias_GDP_by_4bln_add_124000_jobs-ZAWYA20191024104516/

#Vision2030
https://twitter.com/hyperloopone/status/1187377830616879106

Virgin Hyperloop One (@HyperloopOne) 11/1/19, 2:20 AM
Hyperloop has become part of popular culture in India! We're not @SrBachchan but we'll ask the question - "which Indian state will get the world's first ultra-fast hyperloop transportation system?"
Watch here: https://www.mxplayer.in/show/watch-kaun-banega-crorepati-2019-season-11-series-online-2540edccf64d8b8489b9330c475489d6
#KBC #KBC11 #India
https://twitter.com/hyperloopone/status/1190151696883675136

U.S.
Missouri Dreams of Traveling 700 Miles an Hour
The State, which missed out on Transcontinental Railroad, moves to win chance to build nation’s first Hyperloop test track
Shayndi RaiceNovember 7, 2019
Missouri had its hand up long before the document came out. Virgin Hyperloop One’s Chief Executive Jay Walder said that when he met Missouri’s Republican Gov. Mike Parson in April, the first thing the governor said was, “How can we bring Hyperloop to Missouri?”

While other states such as Texas, North Carolina and Ohio have also been studying the opportunity, Missouri has been ahead in publicly staking out its position on Hyperloop, according to Ryan Kelly, a Virgin Hyperloop One spokesman. Missouri released the first feasibility study in the U.S. of Hyperloop in October last year. The Missouri speaker of the house set up a blue-ribbon panel to study Hyperloop that released a report last week outlining how the state could win the certification track and ultimately become the center of a national Hyperloop system.

Behind Missouri’s push is a fear that its major cities could be left behind economically as it faces sluggish population growth and a contracting labor force.

“States like Missouri have sort of been seen as being left behind,” said Elijah Haahr, the state’s Republican speaker of the house. “This is our chance to catch up on that front.”
The state hopes to fund the effort through a public-private partnership, including an investment from Virgin Hyperloop, to avoid raising taxes but hasn’t nailed down financing yet. Bids are due in February. ...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/missouri-dreams-of-traveling-700-miles-an-hour-11573122601?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/325Cp4Q5By

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 11, 2019, 01:24:02 AM »
I really hope all these governments will wait to see an actual working hyperloop somewhere in the world before spending a lot of money on their planning.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 11, 2019, 02:15:15 AM »
I really hope all these governments will wait to see an actual working hyperloop somewhere in the world before spending a lot of money on their planning.

Somebody has to be first. ;)  But the fact that so many different entities have studied the technology and believe it to be achievable, desirable and worthy of investment lends credence to the idea.  Like any other new tech, subsequent iterations will capitalize on what has been done before.  And of note is that most customers are planning to build test tracks or segments, before attempting to roll out a final project.

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #635 on: November 14, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »
Its a fElon Musk idea. Total fiction. No working product. Semi, battery swap, super service, hovercraft, cyborg, alien dreadnaught, solar tile, pickup carrying a pickup, 7 seater model 3, 10x reuseable rocket.

I'm sure the list is waaaaaayyyy longer. But thats just off the top of my head.

Musk makes up nice sounding stuff. And he screams it from roofttops. He makes some money off the baffoons who buy into the impossible idea, but nothing comes of it.

Dr.Seuss at least made his clever nonsense rhyme.

HYPERLOOOP!!!!!!!
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 14, 2019, 01:50:14 AM »
U.S. Senator Joe Manchin, as a member of the committee that will oversee the Dept. of Transportation’s Non-Traditional and Emerging Transportation Technology Council, recommends his home state of West Virginia (of course ;)) for Hyperloop One to build a test center for establishing regulatory standards for the new technology.

”You have set forth an aggressive schedule for construction of the test site and certification, and I strongly believe that West Virginia can move Virgin Hyperloop One through complete testing to full operational capability more efficiently than anywhere else.”

Manchin Sends Letter To Richard Branson Advocating For Virgin One To Build Certification And Test Center In West Virginia
November 13, 2019
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Joe Manchin (D-WV) sent a letter advocating for Virgin Hyperloop One to build their proposed certification and test center in West Virginia to Sir Richard Branson, Chairman of Virgin Group, the parent organization of Virgin Hyperloop One. Senator Manchin previously met with the leadership team of Virgin Hyperloop One on October 16th to discuss the possibility of building the center in West Virginia. Following that meeting, Virgin Hyperloop One released a request for proposals earlier this month to states, regional or local governments, and other organizations – including West Virginia – to create a certification and test center to establish regulatory standards for the new technology. Senator Manchin is a member of the Transportation Appropriations Subcommittee, which will oversee the Department of Transportation’s newly-formed Non-Traditional and Emerging Transportation Technology (NETT) Council and is intended to support innovative transportation projects like hyperloop.
https://www.manchin.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/manchin-sends-letter-to-richard-branson-advocating-for-virgin-one-to-build-certification-and-test-center-in-west-virginia

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 27, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »
The experienced Independent Safety Assessors at Certifer have validated the readiness of Virgin Hyperloop One’s technology to move the first-of-its-kind certification process forward.

Certifer Confirms Virgin Hyperloop One Technology is Ready for Independent Third-Party Safety Assessment
Valenciennes, France, Nov 26, 2019 - Today, Certifer announced they are working with Virgin Hyperloop One (VHO) to meet their goal of surpassing the safety of all existing transport systems. Certifer has followed VHO’s progress with the R&D, prototyping and testing stages, and has performed a complete review of their solution design status. The experienced Independent Safety Assessors at Certifer validated the readiness of Virgin Hyperloop One’s technology and organization to be assessed in terms of safety and confirmed the company is ready to take this historic first step – the first of its kind in the hyperloop space.

In building the world’s first hyperloop system, VHO, is creating a disruption in the traditional approach to transportation. Just like all railway and urban transportation projects, such as high-speed trains, light rail transportation systems, and metro rolling stocks, the VHO technology is subject to the same process and constraints as those reviewed on “traditional” mode of transportation.

VHO has chosen to rely on Certifer, an independent safety assessment (ISA) body, to perform a third party evaluation of the company's engineering and safety process. Additionally, Certifer will serve as an independent assessor to ensure VHO is in compliance with relevant transportation guidelines. Certifer will support VHO with its high-level expertise across all of the railway disciplines and subdisciplines as well as from several different domains such as system safety, hardware development, software development, civil and mechanical works, guideways, control command and signaling, magnetic propulsion, etc. Certifer will work closely with VHO’s dedicated Safety Certification and Quality Assurance team.

Certifer is assessing whether the Engineering Safety Management Plan developed by VHO is adequate to achieve the stated goals, and that the identified list of standards and regulations referred to by VHO for this program is sound from safety viewpoint. In this framework, Certifer is considering the whole transport system, including pods (vehicles), civil and guideway structures, vacuum and guideway mechanisms, docks, controls and communication, maintenance and systems.

Virgin Hyperloop One Regulatory Progress
Governments around the world are recognizing hyperloop as a new mode of transportation. Earlier this year, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao created the Non-Traditional and Emerging Transportation Technology (NETT) Council to explore the regulation and permitting of hyperloop technology to bring this new form of mass transportation to the United States. The European Commission’s Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport (DGMOVE) has also been leading discussions with hyperloop companies to advance regulatory standards. In India, the Principal Scientific Advisor (PSA), Prof. Vijayraghavan, has set up an independent committee called the Consultative Group on Future of Transportation (CGFT) to explore the regulatory path for hyperloop.

About Certifer
Headquartered in Valenciennes, Certifer is a leading global player specialized in Railway and urban transportation. Founded in 1997 in France, Certifer has developed its expertise by providing Inspection, Certification and Test Organization services in more than 40 countries all over the world. Thanks to a presence in 11 countries and more than 550 experts, Certifer provides independent safety assessment, independent checking engineer, assessment body, independent cybersecurity assessment and test organization services.
https://hyperloop-one.com/certifer-confirms-virgin-hyperloop-one-technology-ready-independent-third-party-safety-assessment

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 29, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »
Ohio Officials Announce Results of U.S. Midwest Hyperloop Feasibility Study
•   Study found that a hyperloop route connecting Columbus, Chicago, and Pittsburgh would create $300 billion in economic benefits for the region and reduce CO2 emission by 4 million tons
The technical and commercial feasibility of hyperloop was confirmed by analyzing route alignments, comparative costs, engineering complexity, public right of ways, environmental constraints, ridership volumes, and travel behavior.

Through rigorous third-party analysis, the study found that hyperloop would connect Chicago and Columbus in under 45 minutes with an estimated ticket cost of $60 – compared to nearly 6 hours driving or a plane ticket costing about $100 – and Columbus to Pittsburgh in under 30 minutes with an estimated ticket cost of $33 – compared to nearly 3 hours driving or a plane ticket costing about $150.

... To continue advancing the regulatory framework for hyperloop technology MORPC and their partners have submitted a proposal to host the Hyperloop Certification Center (HCC), which would allow hyperloop to achieve key technological milestones, like faster speeds and turning, and political ones, like creating a national framework for safety certification.

[Virgin Hyperloop One] is now working with governments, partners, and investors around the world to make hyperloop a reality in years, not decades. They currently have projects underway in Missouri, Texas, Colorado, the Midwest, India, and the UAE. 
https://hyperloop-one.com/ohio-officials-announce-results-midwest-hyperloop-feasibility-study

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 05, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »
'Floating on air': Virgin Hyperloop signs deal with key jet parts maker
SEATTLE (Reuters) - Virgin Hyperloop has signed a partnership with key aerospace manufacturer Spirit AeroSystems Holdings Inc, the companies told Reuters, a key step in making billionaire Richard Branson's futuristic vision of super high-speed travel a reality.

The design partnership is emblematic of Spirit's push to diversify away from Boeing Co, from which it draws more than 50% of its annual revenue by supplying the 737 MAX fuselage and other parts. That strategy has taken on greater urgency in recent months as Boeing cuts demand for parts as the year-old 737 MAX ban and COVID-19 pandemic slashes jet demand.

Virgin Hyperloop, which has raised more than $400 million, largely from United Arab Emirates shipping company DP World and Branson, is among a number of firms racing to launch new high-speed travel systems.

Canada's Transpod and Spain's Zeleros also aim to upend traditional passenger and freight networks with similar technology they say will slash travel times, congestion and environmental harm linked with petroleum-fueled machines. …
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23W1OJ

——
Hyperloop: Elon Musk outlines new event that may bring it closer to reality
July 2, 2020
Hyperloop, the vacuum-sealed pod transit system designed by Elon Musk, may be about to take a step closer to reality thanks to a new competition.

On Thursday, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO explained his plan for a fifth hyperloop design competition. These events, held at the SpaceX campus in Hawthorne, California, pit teams against each other to design the best pod for the transit system. The first four events were held using a 0.8-mile-long, 72-inches-wide straight test tube with no curves.

Musk wrote on Twitter that the fifth competition will tweak this setup to better reflect real-world conditions, while also providing a longer track. Hyperloop teams have previously said that longer tracks are crucial to reaching the potential top speeds:

"We need to finish building a much longer vacuum tunnel for speed tests & probably have an additional competition for tunneling itself. […] Aiming for 10km [6.2 miles] with lots of turns to better approximate a real-world tunnel." …
https://www.inverse.com/innovation/hyperloop-elon-musk-next-event

——
Covid-19: Changing what it means to travel safely
... One of the first things we need to grapple with is figuring out how transportation should deal with future pandemics, in addition to running efficiently in normal circumstances.

As it turns out, the hyperloop’s basic design and technology make it ideally suited for social distancing, should the need arise. That’s because it delivers passengers with a fleet of pods, with an average of 28 seats per pod, that are guided by a command-and-control system that balances supply and demand. In “distancing operation” mode, where social distancing mandates the passenger density to be, say, reduced to half, the number of pods in the system can increase to move more people through the system safely. This can all happen while not stopping the system. Unlike rail, the pods are controlled by an artificial-intelligence-powered automation system, allowing them to travel within seconds of each other (like cars on a highway), safely.

The system is demand-responsive. The hyperloop can anticipate and control ridership in emergencies or special situations. You don’t have to “trust” passengers to be physically distant, as in subways, for example; you can enforce a certain number of empty seats on each pod or give priority to emergency and health care workers.

Even in “normal” operations, we still want to take precautions and provide a seamless customer experience. The hyperloop is designed to have touchless ticketing with minimum human exposure, advanced filtration, and regular cleaning. The system also enables a flexible station design, allowing decentralisation and less crowding at the stations since multiple smaller pods leave within minutes vs a larger train with multiple cars. …
https://m.hindustantimes.com/analysis/covid-19-changing-what-it-means-to-travel-safely/story-NrbOCac2LbTjyY33wStyNN_amp.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 06, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
Uploaded on Jun 29, 2020
As part of Collision From Home 2020, Jay Walder, CEO of Virgin Hyperloop, spoke with Andrew Hawkins of the Verge, discussing "The New Age of Urban Mobility."

Walder expects the first passenger hyperloop in 2025, and cargo some time before that.  The 15 U.S. states involved in hyperloop projects all say they want to keep moving forward with it, even while they deal with the COVID crisis, because it’s what they need now, and will need in the future.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 24, 2020, 07:04:52 PM »
“We have determined that these hyperloop projects are just as eligible for grant as any maglev or magnetic levitation project.”

Secretary Elaine Chao Unveils Guidance Document for Regulation of Hyperloop Months Ahead of Schedule and Establishes Eligibility for Project Funding
WASHINGTON, D.C. – July 23, 2020 – Today, US Department of Transportation (USDOT) Secretary Elaine Chao and the Non-Traditional and Emerging Transportation Technology (NETT) Council unveiled the guidance document on a clear regulatory framework for hyperloop in the United States.

As an entirely new category of transportation, hyperloop will unlock exponential growth opportunities for cross-industry manufacturing and development jobs - across construction, aerospace, rail, automotive, aviation, electric vehicles, and autonomous control. Last month, Virgin Hyperloop announced a partnership with Spirit AeroSystems, one of the world’s largest aerospace manufacturers. Spirit AeroSystems engineers, fabricators, builders, supply chain and certification experts, and technicians will leverage relevant aerospace industry expertise to produce the hyperloop bogie – a clear example of adjacency opportunities in the sector. …
https://virginhyperloop.com/press/guidance-document-regulation

Federal funding will probably play a key role in making hyperloops happen, particularly since some of the projects cross state lines.
Hyperloop projects are now eligible for federal funding in the US
“Secretary Chao and the NETT Council are working at an unprecedented speed to ensure that the United States is at the forefront of hyperloop development,” Virgin Hyperloop CEO Jay Walder said in a statement. “It’s clear that the USDOT shares our vision for infrastructure development as a way for the country to not just rebuild, but evolve as we emerge from this crisis.” …
https://www.engadget.com/amp/hyperloop-federal-funding-regulatory-framework-151657647.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 08, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
The state of West Virginia, in the Appalachian mountains of the U.S. east coast, is still struggling to emerge from its long history as the heart of U.S. coal country.  So this is an important milestone for them.

“Over the last several years, West Virginia’s economy has begun to diversify into new sectors,” said Senator Capito.

Virgin Hyperloop Unveils West Virginia as the Location for the Hyperloop Certification Center
   •   The HCC will pave the way for the certification of hyperloop systems in the US and around the world – the first step towards commercial projects

CHARLESTON, WEST VIRGINIA – October 8, 2020 – After years of testing and developing hyperloop technology at their full-scale test site, Virgin Hyperloop unveiled today that West Virginia will be home to the Hyperloop Certification Center (HCC).

“Today is one of the most exciting days in Virgin Hyperloop’s history,” said Sir Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin Group. “The Hyperloop Certification Center is the start of the hyperloop journey for West Virginia, for the United States, and for the world. We’re one step closer to making hyperloop travel a reality for people everywhere.”

Beyond progressing hyperloop on the regulatory and commercial fronts, the HCC will also create an entirely new ecosystem, creating thousands of new jobs across construction, manufacturing, operations, and high-tech sectors. ... 
https://virginhyperloop.com/press/west-virginia-hcc

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #643 on: November 09, 2020, 10:49:51 AM »
The World’s First Crewed Hyperloop Trip Was a Success
https://www.engadget.com/amp/virgin-hyperloop-one-crewed-test-trip-success-070619690.html

Virgin Hyperloop has taken a massive step closer to realizing its new form of transport with its first crewed test. At the company’s DevLoop facility in Nevada, two passengers were fired through the 500-meter tube on Sunday evening. The company says it marks a new frontier in the development of the vacuum tube technology.

... In order to maintain a comfortable experience for acceleration and braking, the capsule’s speed in this test was limited to 107 miles per hour. That’s less than half of the pod’s top speed in the tube, which maxed out at 240 miles per hour during tests at the end of 2017. This is mostly down to the length of the tube: 500 meters isn’t long enough to reach the sort of speeds that the company promises to reach. But greater speeds are likely to be demonstrated when the second Hyperloop facility is built in West Virginia.

https://www.engadget.com/virgin-hyperloop-cerfification-center-west-virginia-143822294.html
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 09, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »
^^^ More...

A Step Forward in the Promise of Ultrafast ‘Hyperloops’
Two employees of Virgin Hyperloop traveled on a small system the company has built near Las Vegas, the first such manned test.
Nov. 8, 2020

Virgin Hyperloop became the first company to conduct a human test of the technology on Sunday at its 500-meter test track in the desert north of Las Vegas. The two volunteers, wearing casual street clothes, were whisked in a pod that was levitated by magnets inside a vacuum tube to 107 m.p.h. in 6.25 seconds.

The riders sat in molded seats covered in white vegan leather, housed inside the all-white carbon fiber-clad pod.

While the G-forces on the pod were three times that of an airplane, “it was much smoother than I expected,” said Sara Luchian, 37, one of the test riders and the company’s director of passenger experience. And unlike an airplane, there were no lateral forces that would have caused the pod to sway, she said.

“It felt not that much different than accelerating in a sports car,” said Josh Giegel, 35, the company co-founder and the other volunteer rider.

The ability to move people safely at this stage of the technology’s development is not that important, said the company’s chief executive, Andres de Leon. “We’re testing the program from an engineer’s point of view, not from that of a marketer’s.”

In the Netherlands, Hardt, a 35-employee hyperloop company, has built a 30-meter track that lets the company test its levitation, propulsion and lane-switching technologies. The company has teamed up with Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam to research the feasibility of a hyperloop linking major airports in the Netherlands, France, Germany, Belgium and Britain.

But it’s the movement of cargo that Hardt is developing first. “It’s less risky and it’s easier for stakeholders if we don’t emphasize passengers,” said the company’s chief commercial officer, Mars Geuze. “It’s easier to take the smaller steps.”

Two other companies, TransPod in Toronto and Zeleros in Valencia, Spain, are also working to develop hyperloop systems.

Big hurdles remain, including acquiring land. But Virgin Hyperloop executives expect that the technology will be commercialized by the end of the decade. …
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/08/business/virgin-hyperloop-passenger-test.html?auth=login-google1tap&login=google1tap

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 09, 2020, 05:39:58 PM »
Richard Branson (@richardbranson) 11/9/20, 9:19 AM
This is one of those rare moments that humanity is making a great leap forward. This video shows two passengers riding in a @virginhyperloop pod for the first time – making transportation history:

https://www.virgin.com/branson-family/richard-branson-blog/virgin-hyperloop-makes-transportation-history 
https://twitter.com/richardbranson/status/1325805334502510594
➡️ Brief video at the link(s).

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #646 on: August 01, 2021, 11:36:10 PM »
Hyperloop box system unveiled
https://splash247.com/hyperloop-box-system-unveiled/

German port operator Hamburger Hafen und Logistik AG (HHLA) and America’s Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HyperloopTT) will showcase a new way of moving containers from ports to inland destinations at an upcoming conference.

HyperloopTT and HHLA entered into a cooperative agreement at the end of 2018. HyperPort was developed based on current industry standards and is a plug-and-play solution for port operators. The concept makes it possible to transport containerised goods at high speed over hundreds of kilometres. The system can move up to 2,800 containers a day in a closed operating environment, without traffic or environmental influences. The individual HyperPort transport capsules provide room for two 20-foot or one 40- or 45-foot standard or high cube container.

The transport capsules were designed by the Spanish industrial design company Mormedi while the technology was developed in cooperation with the Spanish engineering firm CT Ingenieros and is already construction-ready.

“Using the same underlying technology as our passenger systems, the HyperPort can future-proof supply chains and simultaneously relieve the burden on port regions,” said Andres De Leon, CEO of HyperloopTT.

“At HHLA, we know that to prepare for the future you must innovate,” said Gerlinde John, project manager HyperPort at HHLA. “The Hyperloop technology is suitable of taking the transport of goods to a new level. With the HyperPort concept, we are developing an alternative solution to existing transport systems for the goods transport of the future in a fast-growing global market.”

Other freight loop concepts currently under development include DP World Cargospeed, a partnership between Dubai-based DP World and Virgin Hyperloop, based in California, while Splash reported last week on Elon Musk’s development of a 6.4 m wide tunnel concept capable of transporting two lanes of containers.

Hyperloop technology is sweeping the world. How about the MENA?
https://www.ameinfo.com/tech-and-mobility/hyperloop-technology-is-sweeping-the-world-how-about-the-mena/

Data from the World Bank suggests that the region will require at least $100 billion annually over the next five to 10 years to build new infrastructure, as well as maintain aging systems.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:42:20 PM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 01, 2021, 11:45:50 PM »
Hyperloop: The future of rail?
https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/hyperloop-future-rail

Hyperloop is a newer form of ground transport, currently being explored and developed by a number of companies:o

It looks like Hyperloop is being taken serious...  :)

The environment

Hyperloop technology is extremely energy efficient, environmentally clean and could play a key role in helping achieve the Green Deal’s climate-neutrality objective.

Transport is responsible for about 25% of global C02 emissions, and long-distance travelling accounts for a significant and increasing part of the milage of person travel and respective environmental impacts.

Depending on whether transport is undertaken above or below the ground, hyperloop transportation will decrease energy consumption and either significantly reduce, or potentially eliminate C02 emissions.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 01, 2021, 11:54:08 PM »
European testing facility planned to progress hyperloop
26 Jul 2021
by SmartCitiesWorld news team
https://www.smartcitiesworld.net/news/news/european-testing-facility-planned-to-progress-hyperloop-6663

The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) and its transportation technology spin-off Swisspod have unveiled an operational test track for ultra-fast transportation solutions.

The prototype track is described as the “first operational hyperloop testing facility in Europe”. In a press statement, the partners said they hope it will act as a catalyst for the global hyperloop effort and “a crucial leap forward for the evolution and adoption of sustainable intra-continental mobility solutions”.

Swisspod anticipates its hyperloop system will be capable of transporting passengers and cargo from Geneva to Zurich in only 17 minutes or New York City to Washington DC in just 30 minutes – faster than a plane with a fraction of the carbon footprint.

WTF happened?

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #649 on: August 02, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »
I'm sure this is based on the German Transrapid system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transrapid

The entire track has induction wiring, as I understand it.  Not exactly feasible for world spanning global high speed transport.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein