Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing  (Read 30762 times)

blumenkraft

• Nilas ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 854
  • Likes Given: 1186
Re: Greta Thunberg's Atlantic crossing
« Reply #400 on: January 18, 2020, 08:26:49 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here who's having an opinion on the quality of the test actually checked the method behind it. Because it's there to click and read. On that very site.

Experts made this test. Why are experts always so easily dismissed even on a forum that acknowledges the importance of expert knowledge?
The apocalypse is already here; it's just not very evenly distributed.

KiwiGriff

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »
The aspie test I linked to has a sold scientific basis behind it.
If you explore the site you will find a list of the hundreds of questions used in different iterations and the p value found with replies by those who have a formal diagnose. they have also looked at eliminating cultural factors .
All a  Psychologists is going to do to give you a formal diagnose is check your symptoms of against a list at a cost of many thousnds of dollars. As most Aspies grow though adult hood they learn to fake normality with thing like eye contact body language and social interaction so a psychologist often has to rely on their recollection of childhood. Diagnose is still a highly subjective process.
I don't need a shrink to tell me I am an Aspie I know what differences I had as a child and still have as an adult A diagnose would serve no value to me as I function reasonably well and dont need a piece of paper to explain my self .

The test was only offered as a learning opportunity to those here who are curios about asperger syndrom. Some have had enjoyment exploring the difference and some may have spent time considering their own position on the spectrum of the human condition.

Greta is the reason for this thread  as she her self says her impact is partially  due to the super powers asperger gives her. As an aspie who shares in some of her difference I can see how her Asperger enables her successful crusade

oren

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 983
  • Likes Given: 1329
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »
I thought the test was actually good. I recognized many of my aspie-like characteristics and many of my non-aspie characteristics. Some few questions were a bit confusing and hard to answer properly but most were spot on. It was interesting to find out I am more neurotypical than I assumed, but I wonder what my score would have been at age 18.

Rodius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #403 on: Today at 03:47:10 AM »
Just for the hell of it...
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

I am clearly Autistic.
I only figured it out 12 years ago when my second son was diagnosed as autistic and I decided to learn everything there is to know about autism.
That opened my eyes a lot.
I also have two more kids who are both autistic as well. It is why I home school them... schools tend not to deal with autism well in Australia.

I had to learn the rules of normal people, I have always known I am different. I have also held leadership positions and did them well even with my quirks because the people I led knew where they stood, what was expected and I didnt bullshit anyone.

The only thing that annoys me about being autistic is not knowing it earlier.... if I had known earlier, I wouldnt have bothered to try so hard to figure out why people do what they do and I would have just done things my own way... which is what I have been doing for the least ten years. Life is so much better when you just be yourself.

Florifulgurator

• Frazil ice
  • Virtual world alter ego of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #404 on: Today at 06:47:47 AM »
I still haven't found time to do the test (*) (and pay hommage to Rodius and his son :) ). Because I found some great video/audios on one of the perhaps most extreme cases of Aspergers (according to Roy Lisker (1938-2019)). One of the greatest and surely the most prolific of all mathematicians ever, Alexandre Grothendieck (1928-2014). He created the abstract universe at the basis of the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. His life story alone is fascinating and relevant... He went a bit crazy at the end, at one time almost starving from dandelion soup... If you find Newton, Einstein, Gödel, etc. fascinating then you need to know Grothendieck.

-------------------------
(*) Anyhow due to cultivated brain plasticity (still ongoing at 52y) it won't tell much, methinks.
BTW, I once peed at C.F.Gauss' tombstone in Göttingen. Would an Aspie do that?
(No, I'm not seriously collecting mathematician tombstones. You haven't seen my collection of Buddhist mummies yet :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu )

« Last Edit: Today at 07:14:30 AM by Florifulgurator »
Google image search on my avatar image gives "wood". In fact it is the lower part of David Hilbert's tombstone.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 8639
« Reply #405 on: Today at 09:53:29 AM »
This is not a serious post to discuss because it will lead to nowhere.
These are just my ideas and feel free to dismiss them and don't get angry or insulted :).

Cultivated brain plasticity! Yes! You have also found that enormously powerful tool it seems. Do you know how to programme your brain, to use this plasticity? I can give some tips about 'healing' your brain. I did it myself.
An important tip: stay as far away as possible from complete abstractions or calibrate them to reality.
Of course the quiz test won't tell much. Not just because the ambiguous questions but also because of preceived standard behaviour. I would start with looking at the way people's brains developed during the first 1000 days where almost all the connections are made and the brain is build, trying to mimic and adapt to infants immediate surroundings and stimulans. Those experts are not from the natural sciences. Be very very critical of anything they say. Sorry 'Aspie's, please don't be so easily angry and insulted. This is not physics by a long way. I have loads of arguments, have tried to communicate some to those experts and they didn't want to know anything about it without giving arguments. Bubbles everywhere without calibration.

"He created the abstract universe"
What does that mean? Abstract means that you cannot measure anything in it? People should stay calibrated in reality with their abstractions and fantasies and not take them too serious as if it has meaning. Humans need to get their fantasies under control in my opinion. Most of our current culture is ultimately based on fantasy.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

Rodius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #406 on: Today at 11:03:03 AM »
This is not a serious post to discuss because it will lead to nowhere.
These are just my ideas and feel free to dismiss them and don't get angry or insulted :).

Cultivated brain plasticity! Yes! You have also found that enormously powerful tool it seems. Do you know how to programme your brain, to use this plasticity? I can give some tips about 'healing' your brain. I did it myself.
An important tip: stay as far away as possible from complete abstractions or calibrate them to reality.
Of course the quiz test won't tell much. Not just because the ambiguous questions but also because of preceived standard behaviour. I would start with looking at the way people's brains developed during the first 1000 days where almost all the connections are made and the brain is build, trying to mimic and adapt to infants immediate surroundings and stimulans. Those experts are not from the natural sciences. Be very very critical of anything they say. Sorry 'Aspie's, please don't be so easily angry and insulted. This is not physics by a long way. I have loads of arguments, have tried to communicate some to those experts and they didn't want to know anything about it without giving arguments. Bubbles everywhere without calibration.

"He created the abstract universe"
What does that mean? Abstract means that you cannot measure anything in it? People should stay calibrated in reality with their abstractions and fantasies and not take them too serious as if it has meaning. Humans need to get their fantasies under control in my opinion. Most of our current culture is ultimately based on fantasy.

The quiz is okay. The research has been put into it, I didnt read the details but I am sure they would be saying that the quiz is not a replacement for professional diagnosis, the quiz is an indication only.
I personally take quizzes like this with that in mind.
They are fairly good for the most part though. Almost no neurotypical people taking the quiz register as autistic but most autistic people do measure as autistic. Among my friends (who are mostly autistic) they all register as autistic on quizzes like this. Not very scientific though, but what the hell, I will run with the anecdote anyway.

Brain Plasticity is something I believe everyone has.
It makes sense.
The first 1000 days after birth a very important for everyone.
The concept to bear in mind is that autism is a brain that is structured differently. In short, you cant change the structure, but you can still mold it as much as you can or are willing to do.

Here is a short article with references if you want to dig into it more.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/autism-brains-show-widespread-alterations-structure/

In the end, Greta has been professionally diagnosed as autistic. She has shown over the last year or two just how much growth and change can happen regardless of autism.

To me, it would be nice if people would simply accept that autistic brains are quite different, which means different ways of thinking.
There is the ability to learn and change and adapt just like neurotypical people because the brain is freaking awesome like that.
All of this has been shown via research.
People still argue it, and that is fine I suppose, and I like to hear different points of view so long as it can be supported in some way.

I am fixated on autism, so I know more than I care to say, but I dont think this thread is a good place to discuss autism specifically given it is about Greta. Maybe a new thread is in order?

blumenkraft

• Nilas ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 854
  • Likes Given: 1186
« Reply #407 on: Today at 11:32:35 AM »
Maybe a new thread is in order?

One argument for an Aspie thread would be that the aspie/NT ratio on this forum is disproportionately higher compared to the general public (for how i see it).
The apocalypse is already here; it's just not very evenly distributed.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #408 on: Today at 01:17:59 PM »
Could all this mental diversity show that we are evolving?
Evolution didn't stop on us.
(my test looks like a top-hat inclined to the red, no neurotypical)

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #409 on: Today at 02:54:19 PM »
Most of the ´mental diversity´is brought to you by people pushing pills and other stuff.
We are always evolving since it is non optional.

How would we rate Archimedes of Syracuse, or Diogenes of Sinope?

Also where on the ocean is Greta now?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: Today at 04:55:11 PM »
Dear Rodius, I completely accept that Autistic brains are different.

This is likely my last post about it because I need to be in person with you to make you see all the assumptions and flaws. Not because I say so but because you will agree with me.
Just two things to think over:
-  Was the brain Autistic already before those 1000 days? Or only after it? What does that signify?
-  I am completely outside group behaviour and I am not a grown-up. Don't you think that would influence the way I answer those questions?

There are so many assumptions in the quiz that are unseen and unheeded. It is very tempting to generalize and not take all exceptions into account, but in physics those are the very things that physicsts are interested in, the outliers, to really find meaning and fundamental understanding. I wish you will see the difference.You are who you are, that doesn't change with a label. Please be careful with your view of yourself.
I wonder what R.P.Feynman would have thought of those labels, he was very sharp and eloquent in my view.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Today at 05:03:13 PM »
Thanks for that view kassy.

I wish that Greta is on the Billy Ocean of loverboy ;D.

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #412 on: Today at 08:41:26 PM »
Also where on the ocean is Greta now?
Switzerland. On the way to Davos to tell us, that we have seen nothing from her and FFF so far... If their actions continue to make no effect they will become more radical - just as needed.