Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: No Arctic expedition this year...  (Read 29308 times)

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
No Arctic expedition this year...
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »
I think that I've followed all of those expeditions since 2006 or 2007... But this year nobody even tried to start I think, and very few had planned to. Two years ago i wrote on a french forum that we were witnessing the last expeditions... and they were.

The only thing left to follow should be the Barneo Ice Camp... if they manage to find a suitable floe, last years their flow just got broken... Anyways I wouldn't book a trip to the Last Degree for 2014 or 2015, as it may well turn into a swimming trip.

Barneo setup started in March 15 last year, so it should be long now. Hope they will post on their blog again !
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: No Arctic expedition this year...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
How about those French guys trying to sail across the ice pack and made it almost halfway in 2011 before their solar batteries started dying on them? I always thought that would be a cool feat, but maybe even more difficult now than two years ago.

Here's their website. They're looking for sponsors.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Neven, I was thinking about Bernice Notenboom that you blogged about last year. Heard anything about her expedition?

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2012/12/the-last-ice-expedition.html

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
I'm not sure if this is exactly the sort of "Arctic expedition" you have in mind, but I had a long chat to Kevin Vallely last night. He assured me he and another three team members intend to row through the North West Passage, starting on July 1st 2013!

The previous day Anders Bache of the Fram Museum said some friends of his intended to "kayak to the North Pole".

Kevin said he wasn't crazy enough to try walking to the North Pole in this day and age, though he knew somebody intending to walk FROM the North Pole.

Finally Ann Daniels, who lives just up the road from me, is currently trying to raise money for a solo expedition to the North Pole this time next year. I guess Ann must be "crazy", using Kevin's definition of the word?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:13:33 AM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
Neven, I was thinking about Bernice Notenboom that you blogged about last year. Heard anything about her expedition?

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2012/12/the-last-ice-expedition.html

No, haven't heard anything. I'll ask when the melting season starts.

My, all the stuff that people come up with. When all of the ice is almost gone, I will dive under the North Pole! Naked! "Naked under the North Pole"! ;)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
Wipneus,
Google brings up:
https://twitter.com/bernicenot/status/300145859058864129
Feb 8, 2013 – Bernice Notenboom ‏@bernicenot Feb 9. arctic cold spill in combi with unusually warm ocean water creating the worst storm on the east coast.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
The most incredible thing was Lewis Pugh swimming 1 km at the North Pole in 2007 - watch it TED speech if you haven't yet. Then he tried kayaking, but there was too much ice - he might well try again. 

I was just thinking about "classic" expeditions with skis, without swimming...
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
I was just thinking about "classic" expeditions with skis, without swimming...

Ann Daniels is the nearest to your specification then, but she anticipates having to do some swimming on top of all the skiing.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
Looking at this, everyone seems to feel the same.

That anyone trying to get to the Arctic will have 0% success in 2013.

The sign of the future and not that far away....
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
Quick update : Barneo team has started moving, they finish preparation steps, should be on the ice soon.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »
Ann Daniels is the nearest to your specification then, but she anticipates having to do some swimming on top of all the skiing.
Jim, I daily read all the Catlin expeditions and would love to read news about Ann's trek - but I can't find a link on this new expedition - can you please provide a link?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
How about those French guys trying to sail across the ice pack and made it almost halfway in 2011 before their solar batteries started dying on them? I always thought that would be a cool feat, but maybe even more difficult now than two years ago.

Coincidentally I will be translating the documentary of their 2010 expedition next month. There's a very cool part in it where they have to weather out a huge storm in the Beaufort Sea. I learned a lot from that. Maybe I'll ask Sébastien Roubinet if he will let me shot that part on the ASIB.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
Jim, I daily read all the Catlin expeditions and would love to read news about Ann's trek - but I can't find a link on this new expedition - can you please provide a link?

Her Twitter account is here.  She states on her twitter account that she lost the website when moving providers but there is nothing about 2013.

The 2013 trip is advertised here and it has a link for contacting Alex Huggan for more info.

All I could find.

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »
I daily read all the Catlin expeditions and would love to read news about Ann's trek - but I can't find a link on this new expedition - can you please provide a link?

Sorry DM, but I've been AWOL on the blog for a bit. I see what you mean - If you click the obvious link on Ann's home page you end up somewhere rather unhelpful. Obviously it didn't happen in "Feb 2013"! I'll make some further enquiries.

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
From the satellite images and from Christy's Greenland Blog, I think expeditions on the ice look like a much too dangerous proposition.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
It seems Ann's just got back from working in the Caribbean. She tells me that "The website is having a few snags at the moment.  It's been a bit hectic recently but it's on the top of my list to do".

She also sends a picture of what a solo expedition to the North Pole involves in this day and age:

"Sometimes using the sledge like a canoe"

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
Barneo team have found a floe - hope it won't split as it did in 2012 (or was it 2011 ?)

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »
Ouch, I was wrong after all.

There's no sign of a "classic" expedition, however I read about two Russian expediations on Barneo's blog:
- MLAE-2013, started from Severnaya Zemlya, planning to reach Resolute (!!), in 2 special amphibious trucks ; they reached the North pole on april, 7. They already reached the Pole in April 2011, which I had missed. They have met first-year ice and leads.
- two Russians started a dogsled expedition from North Pole (via Barneo) to south Greenland on the same April 6. They website seems to be empty so far.

Trucks have a chance as they can cross leads, but I'd be surprised if dogsleds succeed.

I'll try to post main updates here.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 11:46:55 PM »
There is an expedition from greenpeace :
http://intothearctic.gp/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »
http://www.underthepole.com/eng/presentation/project/
They want to prepare this year and go under greenland ice in 2014.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
There is an expedition from greenpeace :

which is already being discussed here:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,196

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »
It seems Sebastien Roubinet has found sponsorship for his expedition using an ice-boat catamaran hybrid, Babouchka. He and Vincent Berthet are setting out next month. There is a blog hosted by the sponsors, DP Technology, here.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
Sebastien Roubinet has found sponsorship for his expedition
A thread was started for this expedition, as the expedition is on the ice (or in the water):  http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,435.0.html.  The referenced French and English language blogs are not duplicates of each other; there are more entries in French.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »
This Man Will Live On A Melting Iceberg For One Year. Here's Why. (planned in spring 2015)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/25/man-lives-iceberg_n_5709385.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
This Is Really Extreme Science': Adrift in the Arctic Ice With a Shipload of Norwegians
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/02/150223-arctic-ice-ship-lance-norway-global-warming-environment/

cats

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
Laurent - thanks for posting - I remember reading about this some time ago but had forgotten exactly when it was supposed to happen.  The Arctic continues to have surprises for all of us :-) !

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »
Don't forget the drifting Norwegian hovercraft!

http://www.geonova.no/diaries/sabvabaa/

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »
The latest from RV Lance, on March 10th:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150310-arctic-expedition-sea-ice-sunrise-lance-norwegian-polar-institute/

83.07 Degrees North—We awoke to a deafening noise. First a low grumble and a moan, then high-pitched screeches that brought to mind a freight train grinding to a halt. The whole ship trembled and rocked. Then a peaceful quiet returned.

Outside the Lance’s frost-covered portholes, the frozen surface of the Arctic Ocean appeared transformed. Huge slabs of snowpacked ice were piled up nearly as high as the port-side railing. The barren white plain beyond had become strewn with rubble. Squeezed on both sides, the Lance had been lifted three feet (one meter). It was as though, overnight, some titanic bulldozer had rumbled in from the south and rearranged the entire jigsaw puzzle of sea ice in its path.

For a day, 40-mile-per-hour winds and blinding snow pummeled the ship, which became, as Nansen once described the Fram, “a little oasis … in the vast ice desert.”

“I’m very surprised by the frequency of these storms tracking this far north,” remarked an atmospheric scientist with NPI, Lana Cohen, as she stared out the window at a gaping crack that had split the ten-foot-thick (three-meter) floe to which the ship was attached.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
Thanks, Jim:
An internet search of <<R.V. Lance 2015 Arctic>> brought forth a slew of interesting articles about what researchers are doing aboard (and off-board) the ship.

LRC1962

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 08:04:22 PM »
My imagination just caught hold of me, thinking in terms of past centuries to the first arctic explorers having only wooden sail ships no radio and no other humans for 100s of miles away. And understanding that if things did not improve in a hurry they could all die.
Somehow makes one think we have gotten softer in some ways. Why aren't we on the moon?
"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second,  it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
       - Arthur Schopenhauer

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
The latest from Sabvabaa, on March 16th:

The first glimpse of the sun revitalizes the Sabvabaa team

The return of the light was a big change and brings back a feeling of more energy. Our first priority was to assess the surrounding ice landscape. Our floe or flat area is about 200 x 400 meter and appears like a reasonable place to be. The prevailing scenery in our neighborhood is one with ice blocks scattered around everywhere and in general not particularly friendly for hovercraft driving.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 12:28:16 PM »
Sabvabaa has had a few problems. Firstly a pressure ridge formed under their camp. That was followed by a wide lead next to the new camp. Then they had to survive without power in temperatures around -30° C until the Norwegian Air Force managed to air drop a couple of generators:

http://www.geonova.no/diaries/sabvabaa/weeks-31-32-30-march-13-april-2015/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
Anne Queméré will try again the north west passage...
http://www.anne-quemere.com/?p=3711&lang=en

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »
Modified Hummers to make 400-mile trek across Arctic Ocean to Barrow (from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska)
A nonprofit company called Drive Around the World plans to test its hybrid Hummers on the U.S. Arctic Ocean from Prudhoe Bay to Barrow and back, a 408-mile journey designed to prepare the team for a Hummer-powered expedition to the South Pole in December.

A team of adventurers planning to drive a pair of hybrid Hummers to the South Pole later this year will soon test the specially modified vehicles on a 400-mile run across the frozen Arctic Ocean off the Alaska coast.

The “micro-expedition” leaving the Prudhoe Bay oil fields next week will give organizers a chance to drive the vehicles in subzero temperatures under the eyes of an Alaska off-road guide trained to handle polar bear encounters, according to the group’s application for a state land-use permit. While polar bears won't be an issue in Antarctica, cold and ice will.

The effort has been organized by Drive Around the World, a California-based nonprofit whose members have conducted previous long-distance treks to raise money or highlight social issues.
I hope they don't fall into a crack!
This is "not an expedition" really, so I figured it would fit here.  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:22:26 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »
How to engage the public's interest in polar exploration. ;D

'Boaty McBoatface' Dominates Poll to Name Polar Research Ship
LONDON — When scientists in the U.K. asked the public to name their new $290 million polar research ship, they expected the name of an explorer such as Sir Ernest Shackleton or a naturalist like David Attenborough to eventually be emblazoned across the vessel's bow.

However, they didn't factor in the Brits' oddball sense of humor.

By 9 a.m. Monday (5 a.m. ET), more than 27,000 people had voted to name the ship "RRS Boaty McBoatface."

The poll was launched Thursday by the National Environment Research Council, the government-funded body building the ship in Cammell Laird shipyard, near Liverpool.

Expected to set sail in 2019, the 420-foot vessel will "provide the U.K. with the most advanced floating research fleet in the world," the NERC said.
When contacted by NBC News early Monday, a staffer at the research council said no public affairs officials were available to speak because they were all in a "crisis meeting."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/boaty-mcboatface-dominates-poll-name-polar-research-ship-n542431
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.