Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Rift in Larsen C  (Read 94810 times)

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Rift in Larsen C
« Reply #350 on: November 08, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »
What are all of the gray spots on the ice berg? Those can't be melt ponds.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #351 on: November 08, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »
Definitely not melt ponds!  It is very cold (from a human perspective) there, I'm sure.  PolarView doesn't create visual-light-like images, but uses other parts of the electro-magnetic spectrums. (These details are not my forte.)  I like these because they "see" through clouds and night's (and winter's) darkness.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
The Ice Island A68-A has rotated about 115ยบ in 6 months, but the pivot end hasn't moved diddlysquat. 

The largest iceberg in the area (current, lower, image) has, in the meantime, moved about 125 km northwards, squeezing through what I'll call an ice-strait.  (1st image from a May 18 post by johnm33 [conveniently at the top of this thread's page 7]; 2nd image from PolarView on November 20.) 

I'm going to postulate, now, that intermittent grounding keeps A68-A where it is; no point is clearly 'actually' stuck in one place for any length of time.  A GIF covering multiple images might show if any spot does get stuck (becoming a fixed (if temporary) pivot point).

FredBear

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2018, 09:33:37 PM »
The Ice Island A68-A continues to inch(!?) northwards over the last 10 days, with the narrower 'tail' getting further from the coastal ice shelf.

Perhaps more importantly for the region, there is now a blue tint to the remains of the Larsen A & B shelves and also the ice further off-shore (From arctic.io 2018-11-30). Caused by adiabatic winds from the peninsula melting snow from the surface (+insolation)?

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 17, 2018, 06:11:58 PM »
A-68A has move about 20 km northward this past month.  I'm guessing it will escape the shoals near Bawden Ice Rise soon (if it hasn't already).

litesong

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #355 on: December 17, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
A-68A has move about 20 km northward this past month.  I'm guessing it will escape the shoals near Bawden Ice Rise soon (if it hasn't already).
........ as the yearly Antarctic sea ice decrease loses its ability to hold onto A-68A.

FredBear

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #356 on: Today at 01:49:40 PM »
So far the sea ice has been building to the south and east of A68A (which seems to be blocking the gyre) , but dispersing to the NW.
On 13/12/2018 A68B had drifted in line with the point of the peninsular between Larsens A & B, just SE of a large sea ice floe. Also appears about level with the north of A68A.

The iceberg B15AA has been drifting across the Weddell Sea, but it is moving more slowly than the surrounding sea ice (which is now breaking up quite rapidly.). This demonstrates that icebergs can impede the movement of the  thinner sea ice.

FrostKing70

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #357 on: Today at 04:35:14 PM »
I wonder if it will break into at least 3 chunks soon, especially if the bottom end stays grounded....