Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Sea Ice Forum Humor  (Read 565911 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: Arctic Sea Ice Forum Humor
« Reply #1250 on: July 26, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
There's a "joke" meme going viral on Twatter at the moment.

Here's my Arctic alter ego's contribution:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1286976261101948929

I told an Arctic sea ice joke once, but it went down like a lead balloon
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

blumenkraft

« Reply #1251 on: July 26, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
Having a bitcoin joke. Gonna hodl it because you'll laugh more next year.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1252 on: July 28, 2020, 09:40:24 PM »
Waves hitting Barrow shore are only of marginal interest to the melting season, please do not take this any further in this thread. The ice cares about the waves near the ice, obviously, not about the surf.
So you contend the ice is not empathetic.  I hate to think Arctic ice has anything in common with our 'The Donald'.  But I'll accept this is a topic for elsewhere, maybe just in my mind. 
 :-\
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1253 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:45 PM »
Both are cold hearted, but the ice is at least working on it.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #1254 on: August 06, 2020, 02:23:19 AM »
Whatever happened to Covid jokes?

Perhaps OT, because it is a serious QM101 video: Quantum decoherence and Donald Trump.

(If you can't stand it, imagine Evelyn Hamann for a few moments or recite the name of a certain place on the island of Anglesey in Wales.)

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1255 on: August 08, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »
The ice inn

I’d love to pay a visit while we still can
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 13, 2020, 05:02:22 AM »
Here is a Japanese mask joke from 2010:

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1257 on: September 30, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »
From https://www.skepticalscience.com/2020-SKS-Weekly-Digest_39.html
who got it from  the Stop Climate Science Denial Facebook page.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 08, 2020, 05:23:45 AM »

Looks like they are only getting started

Florifulgurator is enrapt...

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1259 on: October 11, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1260 on: October 11, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »
Flori, who made that?
It's brilliant. Very apt.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1261 on: October 11, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
Flori, who made that?

The Lincoln Project is a group of very prominent Republicans (and now, ex-Republicans) who have been horrified by what Hair Furor has done to their party and to the country.  Their work is exceptionally pointed and biting.  Very effective, in my opinion--far more effective than what Biden's campaign has produced.

Other examples are a simple YouTube search away.

More humorous and satirical are works by thejuicemedia:

They usually focus on Australia, but American fans were apparently asking for their inimitable contribution.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #1262 on: October 19, 2020, 10:10:18 AM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 19, 2020, 03:19:18 PM »
Flori, who made that?
I have no idea. Found it on Facebook. Usually I know my sources...

The "honest govt" video is so spot on, it's almost not funny. Here are some numbers:

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 21, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »
This is for Germans. On an anti Corona demo in Berlin some Hare Krishna chants were heard. I love the Nazi swastika reforged as a "checked" sign.

Image source: https://quantenquark.com/blog/2020/08/30/eine-abgrenzung-zu-den-covid-leugnern-tief-aus-der-esoterikszene/

Original BILD tabliod reporting video here: https://twitter.com/rechtsgegrechts/status/1299969283041169413
Twitter comment: Harry Krishner is in a music band with Lars Krismas.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 26, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 05, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1267 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
Oh Dang!
I liked seeing his cartoons posted here!

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 20, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 28, 2020, 09:26:26 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/nov/27/a-dog-pissing-at-the-edge-of-a-path-wins-oddest-book-title-of-the-year-diagram-prize
A Dog Pissing at the Edge of a Path wins oddest book title of the year

Anthropological study of metaphor takes 2020 Diagram prize, pulling ahead of Introducing the Medieval Ass in public vote

‘Practically a perfect Venn diagram of an ideal winner’ Photograph: Nils Jorgensen/Rex/Shutterstock
"A Dog Pissing at the Edge of a Path" has beaten Introducing the Medieval Ass to win the Diagram prize for oddest book title of the year.

Both books are academic studies, with the winning title by University of Alberta anthropologist Gregory Forth. It sees Forth look at how the Nage, an indigenous people primarily living on the islands of Flores and Timor, understand metaphor, and use their knowledge of animals to shape specific expressions. The title itself is an idiom for someone who begins a task but is then distracted by other matters.

Runner-up "Introducing the Medieval Ass", sees the University of Melbourne’s medieval historian Kathryn L Smithies explore “the ass’s enormous socio-economic and cultural significance in the middle ages”. Other contenders included Classical Antiquity in Heavy Metal Music, Lawnmowers: An Illustrated History and The Slaughter of Farmed Animals: Practical Ways of Enhancing Animal Welfare.

The prize, run by the Bookseller magazine, was first established in 1978 to reward the year’s strangest book title.

“I thought it would be a closer race, but A Dog Pissing is practically a perfect Venn diagram of an ideal winner,” said Tom Tivnan, the prize coordinator and managing editor of the Bookseller. He said it combined “the three most fecund Diagram prize territories: university presses (a tradition dating back to the first champ, 1978’s University of Tokyo-published Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice); animals (like 2012’s Goblinproofing One’s Chicken Coop or 2003’s The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories); and bodily functions (such as 2013’s How to Poo on a Date and 2011’s Cooking with Poo).”
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:31:46 PM by gerontocrat »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1270 on: November 29, 2020, 09:09:54 PM »
Thanks for the laugh, especially the list of previous winners at the end!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1271 on: November 29, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
The medieval ass was not quite what i expected but i should have known (even Chaucer had some).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 08, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Christmas cracker jokes have a long and dishonourable history of awfulness. Here is the 2020 top 10.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/dec/08/dominic-cummings-gag-voted-christmas-cracker-joke-of-the-year
Moments of light relief have been hard to come by this year but the annual ranking of topical Christmas cracker jokes provides some, with the top spot taken by one that has a punchline featuring a Chris Rea song and Dominic Cummings.

The top 10 cracker jokes

1. What is Dominic Cummings’ favourite Christmas song? Driving Home for Christmas.***

2. Did you hear that production was down at Santa’s workshop? Many of his workers have had to Elf isolate!

3. Why didn’t Mary and Joseph make it to Bethlehem? All Virgin flights were cancelled.

4. Why are Santa’s reindeer allowed to travel on Christmas Eve? They have herd immunity.

5. Why did the pirates have to go into lockdown? Because the “Arrrr!” rate had risen.

6. Why is it best to think of 2020 like a panto? Because eventually, it’s behind you.

7. Why couldn’t Mary and Joseph join their work conference call? Because there was no Zoom at the inn.

8. Why can’t Boris Johnson make his Christmas cake until the last minute? He doesn’t know how many tiers it should have.***

9. What do the Trumps do for Christmas dinner? They put on a super spread.

10. Which Christmas film was 30 years ahead of its time? Home Alone.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1273 on: December 08, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
I'm going to open a scathing thread regarding the above post in the Consequences sub-forum.

;D
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 19, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »
I just did some skimming through the Consequences sub-forum. (I tend to stick exclusively to the Cryosphere bit, & here) I found some humour there, albeit not in the normal form I see posted in this thread.

I find many people posting there who simultaneously embrace science while rejecting technology. I found myself giggling quite a few times.

But I'm weird, so IDK.

Général de GuerreLasse

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1275 on: December 29, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
I just did some skimming through the Consequences sub-forum. (I tend to stick exclusively to the Cryosphere bit, & here) I found some humour there, albeit not in the normal form I see posted in this thread.

I find many people posting there who simultaneously embrace science while rejecting technology. I found myself giggling quite a few times.

But I'm weird, so IDK.

I think you're confusing the notions of technological advances with technical progress. Don't forget that science without conscience is only the ruin of the soul (and eventually of the planet).
I give you a clue: a savage armed with a club or a savage armed with an AR15, technological advance or technological progress?
La cravate est un accessoire permettant d'indiquer la direction du cerveau de l'homme.
Un petit croquis en dit plus qu'un grand discours, mais beaucoup moins qu'un gros chèque.
Pierre DAC

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1276 on: December 29, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »
HapHazard, I have to claim ownership of  some part of your amusement . I am conflicted and from the comforts of my couch I question the cost of it. And for my amusement I struggle back through the layers of tools technology has straddled us with to try and figure a way around it . And maybe no we wouldn’t be humans without fire but it’s worth some experimenting , to make sure.

“Original Sin” Robinson Jeffers

https://staringatangels.wordpress.com/2009/11/21/two-amazing-poems/

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 30, 2020, 09:12:54 PM »
I think you're confusing the notions of technological advances with technical progress. Don't forget that science without conscience is only the ruin of the soul (and eventually of the planet).
I give you a clue: a savage armed with a club or a savage armed with an AR15, technological advance or technological progress?

I'm not, but that's fair to think so.

And, again, I'm amused that I'm offered a binary scenario... but this isn't the thread for a debate.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1278 on: December 31, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Technology was more often the problem than the solution. We are always dealing with Jevons' paradox, it's hard to make it better without making it worse.   

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:59 PM »
I disagree completely. The problem lies within people, not with the tech they invent.

but this isn't the thread for a debate.

Could start another thread tho.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 31, 2020, 11:11:14 PM »
Maybe that would be a good idea. That binary thing is interesting.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1281 on: January 19, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
Not sure if this counts as humor

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 19, 2021, 05:02:15 PM »
Not sure if this counts as humor
Wry humour?
Humour with a bitter after-taste.

Doesn't quite qualify as black humour.
Nor does this..

More like someone trying out for a part in dumb and dumber.

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1283 on: January 19, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #1284 on: January 20, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »
no sea ice and it is low brow humor
1st preserved dinosaur butthole found

https://www.livescience.com/first-dinosaur-butthole-found.html

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1285 on: January 28, 2021, 12:05:32 AM »

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #1286 on: January 28, 2021, 05:44:49 AM »

pikaia
lol
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1287 on: January 28, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »
Bear is liable to catch Covid.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1288 on: January 28, 2021, 04:39:56 PM »
pikaia
lol
What is "pikaia"?
At first I was thinking you meant a "pakeha" who broke tapu (committed a taboo). 
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2021, 05:22:22 PM »
pikaia
lol
What is "pikaia"?
At first I was thinking you meant a "pakeha" who broke tapu (committed a taboo).
pikaia is the user who posted the polar bear photo.
It is the name of a Cambrian genus of an early chordate that was probably our distant ancestor (or closely related to it).

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: January 28, 2021, 05:57:58 PM »
pikaia
lol
What is "pikaia"?
It could be

Pikaia Chairs by Angelo Natuzzi for Kristalia
https://www.matisse.co.nz › brands › Kristalia1 › pikaia-chairs
The Pikaia ergonomic office chair is an example of just that. The minimalistic design is simple enough to fit in anywhere and because of its clean lines it will stand the test of time. The Pikaia office chair series is available in four different colours while the metallic structure can be made in a chrome finish or coloured to match the seat.

or

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Pikaia
Pikaia gracilens is an extinct, primitive chordate animal known from the Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale of British Columbia. Sixteen specimens are known from the Greater Phyllopod bed, where they comprised 0.03% of the community. It resembled the lancelet and perhaps swam much like an eel. Its exact phylogenetic position is unclear.

or (since KiwiGriff is a ...(pause for thoughT).... Kiwi ?

Organisation-wide Electronic ... - rocket.pikaia.co.nz
rocket.pikaia.co.nz › ?font=base
Have you ever "lost" a file on your company network or computer and just don't know where to start looking for it? I have on more than one occasion, and its been an absolute frustration trying to find it and the time it has taken.

Pikitia - New Zealand Postcards & Photography
https://www.pikitia.co.nz
Pikitia - New Zealand Postcards & Photography New Zealand Postcards & Photography - Pikitia Postcards produce high quality cards that are revolutionising the postcard industry in New Zealand.

but then again, maybe

Pikaia Lodge | Tailor-made Holidays to the Galapagos ...
https://www.scottdunn.com › ecuador › hotels › pikaia-lodge
Pikaia Lodge is a luxury eco-lodge set in a secluded giant tortoise reserve, nestled on top of an extinct volcano crater on the island of Santa Cruz in the Galapagos. Pikaia Lodge is a superb alternative to a traditional cruise and is carbon neutral.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1291 on: January 28, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »
after joining a few dots on facebook , I came up with ..

How do you defeat global warming ?

Declare the earth flat !   .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1292 on: January 28, 2021, 06:27:26 PM »

What is "pikaia"?
Pikaia gracilens, my favourite fossil species. (see gerontocrat's post)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #1293 on: January 29, 2021, 08:57:05 AM »
Sorry I have seen a few of the Bernie memes going around presently  that one really made me laugh out loud at the totally unexpected connections.
I like Bernie and his politics but humor is not necessarily nice it is often uncomfortable when at its best.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 29, 2021, 05:57:41 PM »
Bernie might have escaped. There is no blood or gore. The bear just has the mitts. And it is wearing one of them so it might have been a smart trade.  ;)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:21 AM »
The best obituaries can be high entertainment and writing them is a dying art.

http://www.cobbsfuneralhome.ca/obituaries/151483#.YAizSHNACIA.twitter

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1296 on: March 06, 2021, 09:10:19 PM »
Lol

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 06, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
Some people just exist in alternate realities.

This is my all time favourite ASIF complaint. It was in reaction to at least the 307th Trump cartoon posted but it still made me laugh really hard:

is this forum left leaning? Why is mockery of the US president allowed?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 08, 2021, 01:59:33 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/08/19-australian-ecosystems-are-collapsing-they-are-critical-right-now-this-second-its-really-happening

19 Australian ecosystems are collapsing. THEY ARE CRITICAL RIGHT NOW THIS SECOND IT’S REALLY HAPPENING!
First Dog on the Moon

I'm with the dog about going to the pub.

click images to make readable by old dogs like me

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #1299 on: March 29, 2021, 05:21:32 AM »