Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Sverdrup Gletscher / Steenstrup Gletscher/ Kjer Gletscher / North West Greenland  (Read 56740 times)

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
...and another island on the western edge of Steenstrup Gletscher will be "born", but this may need some time as Steenstrup Gletscher is not retreating as fast as the Kjer Gletscher.

Wonderful work - I discovered this thread today and I liked reading/watching it. Thanks a million Espen
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 4
Thanks Stephan :), yes opposite to the most of our planet, islands are born in the arctic, we will see a few being born on the west coast of Greenland and a very large one on the east coast within a few seasons from now. Espen
Have a ice day!

Ponderable

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
Since I followed this thread back then and didn't hear a Long time from Trikanten I looked up the Position using Sentinetal Hub Playground and found that Trekanten is now a few Kilometers away from the calving front, the seperation of upper and lower Kjer Glacier has happend and a few small Islands surfaced...

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
Welcome to the forum Ponderable, with a great first post.

NotaDenier

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 44
Glaciers continue to retreat.

I’m assuming these glaciers are not reverse slope glaciers? Meaning the glacier bed is above sea level.

NotaDenier

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 44
About 50 km east of Kjer glacier is the largest melt lake I have ever seen. It’s at least 5km long.
Has anyone seen one bigger?

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
About 50 km east of Kjer glacier is the largest melt lake I have ever seen. It’s at least 5km long.
Has anyone seen one bigger?

there's a pair of lakes about that size where the main channel of Jakobshavn splits

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Kjer Gletscher - No text needed:
Have a ice day!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
Thank you Espen for the updates on this ongoing collapse.
Does anyone have a detailed map of the bathymetry under the glacier? I wonder what happens next.

Ponderable

• New ice
    • View Profile
quite a calving at the Sverdup Gletscher (from Sentinel playground 2nd of April 2020):

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
quite a calving at the Sverdup Gletscher (from Sentinel playground 2nd of April 2020):

Correction: That is Nansen Gletscher, Sverdrup Gletscher is the next glacier to the right.
Have a ice day!

Ponderable

• New ice
    • View Profile
You are right (of course)!

Thank you for the correction.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Massive retreat of all glaciers in this part of Melville Bay / Baffin Bay over 44 years.

This animation is very large! Please click on image to animate and enlarge.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:30:46 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
I don't know how common it is or whether it warrants a post, but I caught a calving in Sverdsrup glacier as well as the smaller glacier to the south, during the past few days.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Kjer Gletscher:

"Probably the best glacier to watch in Greenland"

That said I am really impressed what is going on around Kjer Gletscher and several other places in North West Greenland, just in the time Sentinel 2 existed since 2015 (not mentioning the time before that, thats big too) Kjer Gletscher retreated dramacticly (as can be seen in the animation below), and then we are in the beginning of the season (spring 2023) and what pops up? And new calving front (encircled in red in the 3rd frame of the animation), and what is special about this? It is without crevasses before this is happening, there was a sinkhole admitted, but still? If you are getting bored during this season follow this thread!

Please click on image to enlarge and animate!
Have a ice day!