Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Top concern for Top US Navy commander? Climate change  (Read 3662 times)

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Top concern for Top US Navy commander? Climate change
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »
Craig,

I certainly wish the more vocal "denialists" here in the U.S. were listening to our military officials, who have long known about how serious a threat climate change is to global security.  Over 6 years ago, I attended an unclassified briefing by a US Army General on global threats.  Among the threats he identified were "resource conflicts" as a result of increasing competition over dwindling water supplies, most prevalently in the Middle East.

As early as 2007, the Center for Naval Analysis published a 60 page report entitle "National Security and the Threat of Climate Change"written by a large number of retired Admirals and Generals.  While we have much more data now, in my estimation the threats to global security are mush more imminent than could have been foreseen when this report was written.  However, it is a document that is well worth reading.

http://www.cna.org/sites/default/files/news/FlipBooks/Climate%20Change%20web/flipviewerxpress.html

Yesterday, I also had added Admiral Lockyear's comments to the topic of "Global Impact (Economic & Societal) of Declining Arctic Sea Ice", in the Consequences board, because I believe that resource conflicts and mass migrations will be some of the most troubling issues that society will have to face in the not to distant future.

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,30.msg156.html#msg156
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
Re: Top concern for Top US Navy commander? Climate change
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Excellent resources - this forum fulfills my desire to learn more and contribute a little bit from my somewhat limited background.

I will be following more in this section particularly.

Thank you!