Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action  (Read 110460 times)

bluice

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action
« Reply #600 on: June 07, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
Fake leadership is spot on. Plenty of that around

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #601 on: June 07, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
 Hello Sleepy,
Are you sure that the graph us not about GreenBAU? I am surprised that the green part is so small. I am sure that degrowth is required.

interstitial

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #602 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
Anchorage to cut emissions 80%:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2019/0603/Alaska-s-climate-frontier-Anchorage-to-cut-carbon-emissions-by-80
20% emissions in 30 years thats sounds like ignoring the problem and letting someone else deal with it.

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
« Reply #603 on: June 08, 2019, 06:02:17 AM »
Hello Sleepy,
Are you sure that the graph us not about GreenBAU? I am surprised that the green part is so small. I am sure that degrowth is required.
62% of the pie-chart incorporates behavioural changes, the blue part would be strictly GreenBAU...
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #604 on: June 08, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Hello Sleepy,
62% of the pie-chart Incorporated behavioural changes, the blue part would be strictly GreenBAU...

Well if for example I use a smaller ICV vehicle, reduce heating temperature, use my clothes longer... I can save much more than the green part of the graph without using low carb technologies.

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #605 on: June 08, 2019, 06:35:18 PM »
Anchorage to cut emissions 80%:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2019/0603/Alaska-s-climate-frontier-Anchorage-to-cut-carbon-emissions-by-80
20% emissions in 30 years thats sounds like ignoring the problem and letting someone else deal with it.

Seems a lot better than most cities are doing...
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

b_lumenkraft

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 1432
« Reply #607 on: June 10, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
And climate protester nearly gets head run over:

Simulated execution. A tactic used by cops worldwide in order to suppress protesters.

Was very popular in Nazi Germany too.

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #608 on: June 10, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »
Anyone here from the UK? Does this have a prayer of being implemented? 10 hour work week for 75% less pay?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tim

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #609 on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
And climate protester nearly gets head run over:

Simulated execution. A tactic used by cops worldwide in order to suppress protesters.

Was very popular in Nazi Germany too.

Raising fines to the level that would ruin some people's lives as debt collectors guaranshee their wages to collect punishing penalties imposed solely to discourage civil disobedience,  are one way Canada is deterring people from civil disobedience. Like, 5,000 just for being there in support.  It's working too, fewer people are willing to risk a criminal record, jail time, or crushing debt just for showing up to a protest.

“The older population of otherwise good standing in the community, without a criminal record is the population that must be deterred,”

https://www.burnabynow.com/news/update-judge-sentences-grandmother-to-7-days-in-jail-for-pipeline-protest-1.23385060

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:16:19 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Hello Sleepy,
62% of the pie-chart Incorporated behavioural changes, the blue part would be strictly GreenBAU...
Well if for example I use a smaller ICV vehicle, reduce heating temperature, use my clothes longer... I can save much more than the green part of the graph without using low carb technologies.
Of course you (and everyone) can, but that wasn't the point. The point was that mainly behavioural changes are needed.
Link to the study from the previous page:
https://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/net-zero-the-uks-contribution-to-stopping-global-warming/
Also the graphics again:
-

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 13, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
BP numbers as presented by Robbie Andrews. Americans who are advocating for increased mass transports, may have a problem explaining how to decrease the US per capita energy consumption at the same time?
-

etienne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »
Hello Sleepy,
Of course you (and everyone) can, but that wasn't the point. The point was that mainly behavioural changes are needed.
Link to the study from the previous page:
https://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/net-zero-the-uks-contribution-to-stopping-global-warming/
Also the graphics again:

I agree with the conclusions, but I don't like the distribution between the green and the grey areas because it gives the feeling that some investment in low carb technology is needed to start, and there are so many things that can be done without that first step.

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:20:00 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

vox_mundi

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #615 on: June 14, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »
Climate Change Poses Major Risks to Financial Markets, Regulator Warns
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/climate/climate-financial-market-risk.html

WASHINGTON — A top financial regulator is opening a public effort to highlight the risk that climate change poses to the nation’s financial markets, setting up a clash with a president who has mocked global warming and whose administration has sought to suppress climate science.

Rostin Behnam, who sits on the federal government’s five-member Commodity Futures Trading Commission, a powerful agency overseeing major financial markets including grain futures, oil trading and complex derivatives, said in an interview on Monday that the financial risks from climate change were comparable to those posed by the mortgage meltdown that triggered the 2008 financial crisis.

“If climate change causes more volatile frequent and extreme weather events, you’re going to have a scenario where these large providers of financial products — mortgages, home insurance, pensions — cannot shift risk away from their portfolios,” he said. “It’s abundantly clear that climate change poses financial risk to the stability of the financial system.”

... On Wednesday, Mr. Behnam plans to detail the formation of a panel of experts at the trading commission assigned to produce a report on how global warming could affect the financial sector, potentially impacting food costs, insurance markets, the mortgage industry and other economic pillars.

Because the report, expected late this year or early next, would be a product of the federal government, it would most likely put Mr. Behnam in direct conflict with the policies of the Trump administration. The report, which Mr. Behnam said he expected would focus in particular on potential harm to the nation’s agriculture sector, is likely to emerge at a moment when Mr. Trump will be making the case to farm states, which have already been hurt by his crop tariffs, to re-elect him in 2020.

... “We understand that climate change causes a big systemic risk,” said Stefano Giglio, a professor of finance at Yale University who has published studies with the National Bureau of Economic Research on the financial consequences of warming. “But right now, we don’t have enough information, and we don’t have the right financial products to insure this risk. The CFTC can help give that information and help lay out a global marker for what we need to do.”
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

josh-j

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
Anyone here from the UK? Does this have a prayer of being implemented? 10 hour work week for 75% less pay?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

I wouldn't rate the chances, but it seems to me that this represents something of the perfect solution to the climate crisis. Work less, buy less, have more free time for whatever else you want - and save the planet. It's a win for everybody except the filthy rich who do just fine the way things are. Therein lies the problem, but still the fact people are talking about this is some source of hope! (Also, automation will just take everyone's jobs anyway...)

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2019, 07:42:37 PM »

Archimid

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
Trees. The answer is trees. Tall, thick, 20 year old trees.  That's how you kill the heat island effect. But we better get planting because no scientist, billionaire, corporation or government in the world can make a twenty year old tree grow in one.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.