Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action  (Read 119213 times)

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 28
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:29:24 AM by Tom_Mazanec »
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 2043
Re: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action
« Reply #652 on: July 28, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
10 technologies to fight AGW:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613979/gene-editing-will-help-far-more-than-organic-food-to-slow-global-warming/
The evil voice of agri-business: "please let's not have organic food because that would be good for living nature and stop deforestation and pesticide use etc. Far better to further destroy living nature with manipulating DNA with that wonderful CRISPR and of course even more powerful poisons otherwise our profits and existence are in peril."
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

wili

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #653 on: July 28, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
Nicely put, nan!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

philopek

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Nutrition Secure Solutions
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #654 on: July 28, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
10 technologies to fight AGW:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613979/gene-editing-will-help-far-more-than-organic-food-to-slow-global-warming/
The evil voice of agri-business: "please let's not have organic food because that would be good for living nature and stop deforestation and pesticide use etc. Far better to further destroy living nature with manipulating DNA with that wonderful CRISPR and of course even more powerful poisons otherwise our profits and existence are in peril."

A frustrating read because what you say is so much spot on, sigh :(

Rich

« Reply #655 on: July 28, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
Greta Thunberg blasted off at the French Parliament today.

Damn, I adore that kid. She's the fucking avatar for her generation and the entire fight for climate justice.

The Alpha is a 16 year old girl with Asberger's. Terrified of inaction, afraid of nothing else. A real hero.

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #656 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
DBR

Don't be so hard on the have nots. It wasn't them that brought us to where we are.

If all of the world cut their emissions by 30% by 2030 it wouldn't do much to help. If some kid in Kenya gets to live in a house, he may have a few years of happiness before the crap we ignited burns everything down. What moral right have we to send him back to the jungle?

Terry

wili

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #657 on: July 29, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »
Good one, Terry.

DBR is clearly an @$$ :)

Time to ban
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #658 on: July 29, 2019, 12:16:24 AM »
Good one, Terry.

Time to ban
Thanks wili

DBR's new here. It can be a damn scary site for those that may just be coming to the recognition of how bad things are going to get.

I haven't read his other posts yet, but perhaps he's at that stage of awareness where he just needs to strike out in every direction. - besides I think our fearless leader is on vacation. :)
Terry

Rich

« Reply #659 on: July 29, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
I believe this is a thread for climate action.

I respect the right of people to subscribe to a doomer outlook. There is certainly plenty of reason to arrive at that conclusion.

People who have a doomer outlook should also have respect for the sensibilities of those who are still trying to salvage something.

There are threads where the doomer outlook is more appropriate to share. This thread is for action. It is disrespectful to come to the thread dedicated to action and express your contempt for that action as meaningless.

Doomsaying s/b off-topic in a climate action thread.

Even in a scenario where we have passed the point of no return, there is still a journey to be concluded and there is less suffering for the people who experience the journey with hope.

This is a thread for people with hope.

dollarbillronson

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #660 on: July 29, 2019, 12:38:10 AM »
I have removed my posts as I realized I might be banned and I wish to avoid that. I like the "View new posts" function too much to risk having to make a new account.

Cheers guys

Sebastian Jones

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #661 on: July 29, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »
I'm responding here to a post in the 2012/2019 thread that went a little off topic:
I'm cutting the bits that I do not wish to respond to.
I trust this is the appropriate thread...

This stuff is certainly interesting, I just wish it did not bring with it such dread.  Great to have community to collectively chew on tthe details and the scary prospects for my kids and all of of us.  Would be even more disturbing to watch this train wreck unfold alone, would be maddening actually. 

mini-speech (again) - I work in the natural sciences (ag & biology), and if people think that the general scientist community is fully aware of the pace and prospects of what's happening our spaceship Earth, my observation is that they would be wrong.  Heck even some of the people I do climate adaptation work with do not fully get the urgency.  The scientists and other smart people I interact with know the basic trajectories, but like like all of us, our  rains focus on the day to day issues.  Hard to save the world between breakfast and dinner.

The climate crisis is so big that it is hard to react to in specific ways. But we have to take any steps we can to push a survival agenda.  In case it's news, we are heading for deep doo doo friends.

I'm off topic for this thread and becoming a pain in the butt with yet another iteration of this speech.  Sorry, I just can't help preaching to the choir.  I just hope all us who visit the ASIF will become irritants even if it makes us irritating and predictable to our family, friends and our larger social network.   If not those of us who watch the unfolding epic changes in minute detail, then who else? Thanks for considering this request.  I will try to stick to the data hereafter -- for a while at least.

Agreed Glen. I've spent some time today trying to explain the science around water vapour as a GHG in relation to an article featuring a soil ecologist who seems to be on a really good path regarding her field, but I think has rather lost it when it comes to climate science. Of course I'm not an expert in either, so I probably screwed both topics up...
I'd appreciate a real climate scientist weighing in :D
https://www.lajuntatribunedemocrat.com/news/20190218/soil-ecologist-challenges-mainstream-thinking-on-climate-change?fbclid=IwAR2UkFBtgKrvdSl8NekSou-Sd5igUyt7oJNJzrO70jIGhjkMjICjzXCixE4

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #662 on: July 29, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
Good one, Terry.

Time to ban

Who is DBR? I don't see that name in this thread recently.

EDIT: Oh, dollarbillronson (said later he deleted his posts).
OK. I don't know what you posted, but welcome to the ASIF. I had a rocky start with a couple bullies, so don't give up trying to fit in here.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:27:08 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

bluice

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #664 on: July 29, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »
In PIOMAS we trust

Rich

« Reply #665 on: July 30, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »
CNN will host a climate change Town Hall on Sept 4th with all of the Democratic candidates who meet the threshold for the 3rd debate. Currently, 8 contenders have qualified.

MSNBC will have an event at Georgetown University. Details to follow.

Unfortunate that the formats and questions are all filtered through the executives of large media corporations. Their fear and kneecapping of my man Bernie is so transparent.

Sunrise Movement will be conducting protests at the DNC meetings in San Francisco in August to push for a climate change debate.

The recent annual Yale Opinion surveys are showing that climate change as a general concern is surging in the US. But most people still think it's going to hurt someone other than themselves and there are limits to their willing to sacrifice for others.

Great news about Greta coming to America for the UN Climate meeting. I'd like to see some cartoons or photoshoos of her sticking a cattle prod up Trump's ass.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:47:00 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #667 on: July 30, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcomm.2019.00036/full

Science and Environmental Communication on YouTube: Strategically Distorted Communications in Online Videos on Climate Change and Climate Engineering

This contribution presents results from an exploratory research project that investigates whether videos found on YouTube adhere to or challenge scientific consensus views. Ten search terms were employed to search for and analyze 200 videos about climate and climate modification topics, which are contested topics in online media. The online anonymization tool Tor has been used for the randomization of the sample and to avoid personalization of the results. A heuristic qualitative classification tool was set up to categorize the videos in the sample. Eighty-nine videos of the 200 videos in the sample are supporting scientific consensus views about anthropogenic climate change, and climate scientists are discussing climate topics with deniers of climate change in four videos in the sample. Unexpectedly, the majority of the videos in the sample (107 videos) supports worldviews that are opposing scientific consensus views...more within the article

bligh

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
U.S. Democrat presidential hopefuls Debates, Round 2

There was sharp wrangling among the Democratic presidential contenders over the details of universal health care, immigration and crime. But on climate change, there was remarkable unity.

Debate’s Attempt to Show Candidates Divided on Climate Change Finds Unity Instead
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01082019/2020-presidential-debate-climate-change-question-democrats-green-new-deal-global-warming
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec

Rich

« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
U.S. Democrat presidential hopefuls Debates, Round 2

There was sharp wrangling among the Democratic presidential contenders over the details of universal health care, immigration and crime. But on climate change, there was remarkable unity.

Debate’s Attempt to Show Candidates Divided on Climate Change Finds Unity Instead
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01082019/2020-presidential-debate-climate-change-question-democrats-green-new-deal-global-warming

The debate format has been pathetic in terms of allowing any depth of discussion on climate.

Booker said it best when he compared the Paris Agreement to something like kindergarten.

There are huge differences. The US became the world's largest oil producer during the Obama-Biden era. Supporting net zero by 2050 is lip service when the IPCC is saying that that we need to cut 45% by 2030....a path only approachable with int'l mobilization.

Biden's climate advisor is a tracking consultant. LOL.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 952
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
Trumpistan in conflict with his own intelligence services

https://www.wri.org/blog/2019/08/white-house-blocked-state-departments-testimony-climate-and-security-now-lead-author

The White House Blocked the State Department's Testimony on Climate and Security. Now, the Lead Author Tells America Why Climate Change Is Our Greatest Threat.

follow the link - I have got to sign off.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:18:13 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #675 on: August 09, 2019, 02:03:59 AM »
The Next Twilight of Environmentalism:
https://www.ecosophia.net/the-next-twilight-of-environmentalism/

“Endure the EU...”. I think I have all I need to know about the writer....whatever...

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 09, 2019, 01:33:04 PM »
The effect of  the "New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action" has been - not a lot.

https://skepticalscience.com/2019-SkS-Weekly-Digest_30.html
Earth Overshoot Day July 29th 2019
On July 29, humanity will have used nature’s resource budget for the entire year, according to Global Footprint Network, an international sustainability organization that has pioneered the Ecological Footprint. It is Earth Overshoot Day. Its date has moved up two months over the past 20 years to the 29th of July this year, the earliest date ever.

Earth Overshoot Day falling on July 29th means that humanity is currently using nature 1.75 times faster than our planet’s ecosystems can regenerate. This is akin to using 1.75 Earths. Overshoot is possible because we are depleting our natural capital – which compromises humanity’s future resource security. The costs of this global ecological overspending are becoming increasingly evident in the form of deforestation, soil erosion, biodiversity loss, or the buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The latter leads to climate change and more frequent extreme weather events.

“We have only got one Earth – this is the ultimately defining context for human existence. We can’t use 1.75 without destructive consequences,” said Mathis Wackernagel, co-inventor of Ecological Footprint accounting and founder of Global Footprint Network.

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 09, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
I suppose one success might be considered to be the amount of energy and money now spent on climate change denial

https://features.weather.com/collateral/pretend-underdogs-inside-climate-change-denier-conference-trump-hotel/

I am not using my energy cutting and posting extracts

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #678 on: August 10, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #679 on: August 13, 2019, 01:58:10 AM »
More environmental children's books coming out, thanks to Greta (more than doubled in year):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/11/greta-thunberg-leads-to-boom-in-books-aimed-at-empowering-children-to-save-planet?platform=hootsuite
More info on Scotland's Climate Emergency. A number of people are interviewed:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-49207097?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/science_and_environment&link_location=live-reporting-story
What the University of London's Goldsmith's is doing:
More solar panels and no beef
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-49321560
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:53:55 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #680 on: August 13, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Climate crisis: Goldsmiths university has banned beef to help fight emergency
Beef burgers, burritos and other enduring student dishes are off the menu at a London university -- in order to help the fight against the climate crisis.
Goldsmiths University in London will be scrapping all beef products from its campus, the institution's new chief has announced, as it seeks to become carbon neutral by 2025. ...
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/13/uk/goldsmiths-beef-ban-climate-scli-gbr-intl/index.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #681 on: August 14, 2019, 02:55:22 AM »
California cuts carbon emissions thanks to reductions in electricity emissions. But transportation is becoming a problem:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-12/california-greenhouse-gas-emissions-fell

Florida farmers fighting AGW:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/environment/fl-ne-florida-farmers-fight-climate-change-20190814-5de272javjaitakv3zbnsyd7rm-story.html
“Something has changed and somewhere, someway, that has affected our yields,” he said Monday during a panel at the University of Florida, where farmers met with U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor of Tampa, scientists and agriculture officials.
In Florida, where 26 million acres are in agriculture production, farmers have long faced threats from trade agreements, pests and development. Now they’ve added a new risk to the $140 billion industry: climate change.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:50:59 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #682 on: August 17, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
https://www.michiganradio.org/post/heres-how-you-can-help-combat-climate-change-michigan
The effects of climate change are already being seen, says Kate Madigan, director of the Michigan Climate Action Network.
Cities are taking on some of these challenges now that President Donald Trump has pulled the U.S. out of the Paris Agreement, but there are a lot of actions that individuals can take as well.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/13082019/seattle-city-green-new-deal-heating-oil-tax-free-public-transit-congestion-pricing-resolution
What Would a City-Level Green New Deal Look Like? Seattle's About to Find Out
The next step is turning the City Council’s resolution into pro-climate policies and finding ways to pay for them. Seattle has a few big ideas.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:41:06 PM by Tom_Mazanec »