Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action  (Read 278603 times)

bluice

Re: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action
« Reply #600 on: June 07, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
Fake leadership is spot on. Plenty of that around

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #601 on: June 07, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
 Hello Sleepy,
Are you sure that the graph us not about GreenBAU? I am surprised that the green part is so small. I am sure that degrowth is required.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #602 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
Anchorage to cut emissions 80%:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2019/0603/Alaska-s-climate-frontier-Anchorage-to-cut-carbon-emissions-by-80
20% emissions in 30 years thats sounds like ignoring the problem and letting someone else deal with it.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #603 on: June 08, 2019, 06:02:17 AM »
Hello Sleepy,
Are you sure that the graph us not about GreenBAU? I am surprised that the green part is so small. I am sure that degrowth is required.
62% of the pie-chart incorporates behavioural changes, the blue part would be strictly GreenBAU...
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #604 on: June 08, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Hello Sleepy,
62% of the pie-chart Incorporated behavioural changes, the blue part would be strictly GreenBAU...

Well if for example I use a smaller ICV vehicle, reduce heating temperature, use my clothes longer... I can save much more than the green part of the graph without using low carb technologies.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #605 on: June 08, 2019, 06:35:18 PM »
Anchorage to cut emissions 80%:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2019/0603/Alaska-s-climate-frontier-Anchorage-to-cut-carbon-emissions-by-80
20% emissions in 30 years thats sounds like ignoring the problem and letting someone else deal with it.

Seems a lot better than most cities are doing...

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #607 on: June 10, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
And climate protester nearly gets head run over:

Simulated execution. A tactic used by cops worldwide in order to suppress protesters.

Was very popular in Nazi Germany too.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #608 on: June 10, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »
Anyone here from the UK? Does this have a prayer of being implemented? 10 hour work week for 75% less pay?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

Tim

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #609 on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
And climate protester nearly gets head run over:

Simulated execution. A tactic used by cops worldwide in order to suppress protesters.

Was very popular in Nazi Germany too.

Raising fines to the level that would ruin some people's lives as debt collectors guaranshee their wages to collect punishing penalties imposed solely to discourage civil disobedience,  are one way Canada is deterring people from civil disobedience. Like, 5,000 just for being there in support.  It's working too, fewer people are willing to risk a criminal record, jail time, or crushing debt just for showing up to a protest.

“The older population of otherwise good standing in the community, without a criminal record is the population that must be deterred,”

https://www.burnabynow.com/news/update-judge-sentences-grandmother-to-7-days-in-jail-for-pipeline-protest-1.23385060

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Hello Sleepy,
62% of the pie-chart Incorporated behavioural changes, the blue part would be strictly GreenBAU...
Well if for example I use a smaller ICV vehicle, reduce heating temperature, use my clothes longer... I can save much more than the green part of the graph without using low carb technologies.
Of course you (and everyone) can, but that wasn't the point. The point was that mainly behavioural changes are needed.
Link to the study from the previous page:
https://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/net-zero-the-uks-contribution-to-stopping-global-warming/
Also the graphics again:
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 13, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
BP numbers as presented by Robbie Andrews. Americans who are advocating for increased mass transports, may have a problem explaining how to decrease the US per capita energy consumption at the same time?
-

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »
Hello Sleepy,
Of course you (and everyone) can, but that wasn't the point. The point was that mainly behavioural changes are needed.
Link to the study from the previous page:
https://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/net-zero-the-uks-contribution-to-stopping-global-warming/
Also the graphics again:

I agree with the conclusions, but I don't like the distribution between the green and the grey areas because it gives the feeling that some investment in low carb technology is needed to start, and there are so many things that can be done without that first step.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:20:00 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #615 on: June 14, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »
Climate Change Poses Major Risks to Financial Markets, Regulator Warns
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/climate/climate-financial-market-risk.html

WASHINGTON — A top financial regulator is opening a public effort to highlight the risk that climate change poses to the nation’s financial markets, setting up a clash with a president who has mocked global warming and whose administration has sought to suppress climate science.

Rostin Behnam, who sits on the federal government’s five-member Commodity Futures Trading Commission, a powerful agency overseeing major financial markets including grain futures, oil trading and complex derivatives, said in an interview on Monday that the financial risks from climate change were comparable to those posed by the mortgage meltdown that triggered the 2008 financial crisis.

“If climate change causes more volatile frequent and extreme weather events, you’re going to have a scenario where these large providers of financial products — mortgages, home insurance, pensions — cannot shift risk away from their portfolios,” he said. “It’s abundantly clear that climate change poses financial risk to the stability of the financial system.”

... On Wednesday, Mr. Behnam plans to detail the formation of a panel of experts at the trading commission assigned to produce a report on how global warming could affect the financial sector, potentially impacting food costs, insurance markets, the mortgage industry and other economic pillars.

Because the report, expected late this year or early next, would be a product of the federal government, it would most likely put Mr. Behnam in direct conflict with the policies of the Trump administration. The report, which Mr. Behnam said he expected would focus in particular on potential harm to the nation’s agriculture sector, is likely to emerge at a moment when Mr. Trump will be making the case to farm states, which have already been hurt by his crop tariffs, to re-elect him in 2020.

... “We understand that climate change causes a big systemic risk,” said Stefano Giglio, a professor of finance at Yale University who has published studies with the National Bureau of Economic Research on the financial consequences of warming. “But right now, we don’t have enough information, and we don’t have the right financial products to insure this risk. The CFTC can help give that information and help lay out a global marker for what we need to do.”
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

josh-j

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
Anyone here from the UK? Does this have a prayer of being implemented? 10 hour work week for 75% less pay?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

I wouldn't rate the chances, but it seems to me that this represents something of the perfect solution to the climate crisis. Work less, buy less, have more free time for whatever else you want - and save the planet. It's a win for everybody except the filthy rich who do just fine the way things are. Therein lies the problem, but still the fact people are talking about this is some source of hope! (Also, automation will just take everyone's jobs anyway...)

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:09:11 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
Trees. The answer is trees. Tall, thick, 20 year old trees.  That's how you kill the heat island effect. But we better get planting because no scientist, billionaire, corporation or government in the world can make a twenty year old tree grow in one.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #619 on: June 18, 2019, 07:34:24 AM »
Today Canada's House of Commons passed a motion to declare a national climate emergency.
The motion was put forward by Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna, and it passed with 186 votes to 63.

It declares a national climate emergency, and supports the country’s commitment to meeting the emissions targets outlined in the Paris Agreement.

The motion described climate change as a “real and urgent crisis, driven by human activity, that impacts the environment, biodiversity, Canadians’ health, and the Canadian economy.”

The motion declares that “Canada is in a national climate emergency which requires, as a response, that Canada commit to meeting its national emission target under the Paris Agreement and to making deeper reductions in line with the agreement’s objective of holding global warming below two degrees Celsius and pursuing efforts to keep global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius.”

All parties voted for the motion, except the two far right parties, which take their cues from America's Republicans.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5401586/canada-national-climate-emergency/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #620 on: June 18, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
Pope backs carbon pricing to stem global warming and appeals to deniers
VATICAN CITY, June 14 (Reuters) - Pope Francis said on Friday that carbon pricing is "essential" to stem global warming - his clearest statement yet in support of penalising polluters - and appealed to climate change deniers to listen to science.

In an address to energy executives at the end of a two-day meeting, he also called for "open, transparent, science-based and standardised" reporting of climate risk and a "radical energy transition" away from carbon to save the planet.

Carbon pricing, via taxes or emissions trading schemes, is used by many governments to make energy consumers pay for the costs of using the fossil fuels that contribute to global warming, and to spur investment in low-carbon technology.

The Vatican said attendees of the closed-door meeting at its Academy of Sciences, a follow-up to one a year ago, included the CEOs of Royal Dutch Shell, Eni, BP, Repsol, Conoco Phillips, Chevron, ExxonMobil, and executives of investment funds.

"Collectively, these leaders will influence the planet's future, perhaps more than any in the world," said Father John Jenkins, president of the U.S. University of Notre Dame, which organised the meeting. ...
http://news.trust.org/item/20190614124558-n22zt/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 18, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
Go Canada! By acknowledging the threat, they can examine it with a clear mind and make the correct preparations to avoid or mitigate catastrophe.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 18, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
“How we’re reacting to global warming”
https://mobile.twitter.com/zonephysics/status/1140606508750843906
Video clip.

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #623 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:13 PM »
Today Canada's House of Commons passed a motion to declare a national climate emergency.
The motion was put forward by Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna, and it passed with 186 votes to 63.

It declares a national climate emergency, and supports the country’s commitment to meeting the emissions targets outlined in the Paris Agreement.

The motion described climate change as a “real and urgent crisis, driven by human activity, that impacts the environment, biodiversity, Canadians’ health, and the Canadian economy.”

The motion declares that “Canada is in a national climate emergency which requires, as a response, that Canada commit to meeting its national emission target under the Paris Agreement and to making deeper reductions in line with the agreement’s objective of holding global warming below two degrees Celsius and pursuing efforts to keep global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius.”

All parties voted for the motion, except the two far right parties, which take their cues from America's Republicans.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5401586/canada-national-climate-emergency/

So sad that Australia was not so long ago ready to lead, we were once known as a great and generous nation. Where did we go so wrong.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #624 on: June 18, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »
So sad that Australia was not so long ago ready to lead, we were once known as a great and generous nation. Where did we go so wrong.
Take heart NevB, at least the new South Australia Government is going for it - and its a Liberal Govt. And not just blah blah, lots of specific projects. Worth a good read.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/south-australias-stunning-aim-to-be-net-100-per-cent-renewables-by-2030/
South Australia’s stunning aim to be “net” 100 per cent renewables by 2030

https://reneweconomy.com.au/south-australia-looks-to-evs-to-flatten-solar-duck-curve-55609/
South Australia looks to EVs to flatten solar duck curve
South Australia’s Liberal government is looking to go where its federal counterparts fear to tread, and will shortly unveil an electric vehicle strategy designed to lower emissions in transport and solve some of the key challenges of its  high renewables grid.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 18, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
https://reneweconomy.com.au/south-australia-looks-to-evs-to-flatten-solar-duck-curve-55609/
South Australia looks to EVs to flatten solar duck curve
South Australia’s Liberal government is looking to go where its federal counterparts fear to tread, and will shortly unveil an electric vehicle strategy designed to lower emissions in transport and solve some of the key challenges of its  high renewables grid.

The residual demand “duck-curve” GIF from the longer version of this article (linked at the end of yours) shows an amazing change over just seven years. (Still image below; GIF at the twitter link below.)  Great discussion in the replies to the tweet, re Feed-in Tariifs and the benefit of west-facing residential solar panels.

Dylan McConnell (@dylanjmcconnell) 12/3/18, 5:13 PM
Time for a #duckcurve update! How rooftop solar has changed the November demand profile in South Australia over the past 7 years:
https://twitter.com/dylanjmcconnell/status/1069716371594895361

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #626 on: June 18, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »

Take heart NevB, at least the new South Australia Government is going for it - and its a Liberal Govt.

I didn't even think to add Liberal here in Australia are conservatives (ie just like the GOP), the "Liberals" here have hijacked the term and are conservatives.

But enough that's too much politics already, lets see many more links from RenewEconomy which is the best renewables site I know of.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #627 on: June 18, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
I see urban heat islands and Ireland in consecutive posts .. I live in Ireland and drove a few hundred miles recently .. trees being cut down on roadsides everywhere .. but especially in the towns .. the worst ongoing environmental destruction I've seen here in my 60 years .. the ungreening of Ireland .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #628 on: June 18, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
Canada wants to fight AGW but don't raise taxes to do it:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/election-poll-climate-change-1.5178514
but it declares a climate emergency:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-s-house-of-commons-has-declared-a-national-climate-emergency-1.4470804

EDIT: New York approving ambitious climate plan:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/nyregion/greenhouse-gases-ny.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fclimate&action=click&contentCollection=climate&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
and the UK too:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/19/uk-firms-face-deliberate-disruption-hit-zero-carbon-goal
and here is Scheer's (Canada) plan:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-climate-environment-plan-election-von-scheel-1.5177187
and in Ireland:
https://today.rtl.lu/news/science-and-environment/a/1364325.html

EDIT 2: Will Europe decide to be carbon neutral by 2050?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/climate/europe-carbon-neutral.html
David Gilmour to donate auction proceeds:
https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2019/06/20/news/david-gilmour-to-donate-guitar-auction-proceeds-to-climate-change-charity-1645947/
Moving data centers to space:
https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/the-next-way-to-stop-climate-change-storing-data-in-space/94906
How AI can tackle AGW:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613838/ai-climate-change-machine-learning/
Scheer's climate plan:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-climate-plan-1.5181826
Changing the climate from the grassroots up:
https://www.dw.com/en/climate-action-can-we-change-the-climate-from-the-grassroots-up/a-49016447
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:58:57 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #629 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »
In a stunning display of cognitive dissonance, Canada has approved the controversial Trans Mountain pipeline expansion less than 24 hours after declaring a climate emergency.
The pipeline is intended to facilitate the growth of production from the bitumen mines (Tar sands) in Alberta. Alberta is already the source of close to half Canada's carbon emissions.
Not that Canada was on track to meet its Paris commitments of carbon reduction, but this decision slams the door firmly shut.
If the pipeline actually gets built- there is considerable opposition and this is the third time Canada has approved the pipeline. Previous attempts to get it built have been stymied by lack of social licence and the courts.
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/06/18/news/canada-approves-trans-mountain-pipeline-expansion-second-time

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 21, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »
U.S.:  Oregon governor sends out state police to find GOP lawmakers skipping climate vote
Republican lawmakers in Oregon are in hot water after they refused to partake in a historic vote Thursday to implement a cap-and-trade program to help rein in industrial carbon emissions.
The Oregon State Police said it's using "established relationships to have polite communication with these senators" in order to get them to resume the state legislative process. That process requires 20 members in the Senate in order to proceed.

"The departure of the senators leaves the Senate without the minimum number of members required to constitute a quorum, so the legislative process has stalled," OSP said Thursday. "While we obviously have many tools at our disposal, patience and communication is and always will be our first, and preferred, option." ...
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon-governor-sends-out-state-police-to-find-gop-lawmakers-skipping-out-on-climate-vote

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 23, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
From the Extinction Rebellion thread:

Nearly 70 climate change activists arrested outside New York Times headquarters
Dozens of people were arrested outside headquarters of The New York Times on Saturday after  a demonstration to demand that the newspaper refer to climate change as an emergency.

A New York City Police Department spokesman told Reuters that 67 people were arrested. Charges against the activists are pending.

The demonstrators, who were reportedly affiliated with the environmental group Extinction Rebellion, attached a sign reading “climate change = mass murder" to the Times' building. The word "change" was crossed out and replaced it with "emergency."

Another sign was affixed to the Port Authority Bus Terminal located across the street from the newspaper's headquarters, Reuters reported. That banner simply read "emergency."

Protestors also blocked the street in front of the office while participating in a "die in," according to the news service.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/449889-nearly-70-climate-change-activists-arrested-outside-new-york-times

——
Climate activists end blockade of German coal mine
Hundreds of climate activists ended a protest inside one of Germany's biggest open-pit mines Sunday after police repeatedly ordered them to leave, citing life-threatening danger, and authorities pulled some protesters out.

The Garzweiler lignite coal mine was a focal point of environmental protests in Germany's Rhineland since Friday, when 40,000 students rallied for more action against climate change in the nearby city of Aachen.

"We wrote climate history this weekend," the activist group Ende Gelaende said in a statement announcing the end of the protest. "Our movement has never been so diverse and never been so determined."

The protests started after European Union leaders failed to agree on how to make the EU carbon neutral by 2050.
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/climate-activists-block-german-mine-orders-leave-63890632

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #633 on: June 24, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:41:07 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #634 on: June 25, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »
G20 nations triple coal power subsidies despite climate crisis.
Major economies pledged a decade ago to phase out all aid for fossil fuels:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/25/g20-nations-triple-coal-power-subsidies-climate-crisis
Quote:
"G20 nations have almost tripled the subsidies they give to coal-fired power plants in recent years, despite the urgent need to cut the carbon emissions driving the climate crisis.

The bloc of major economies pledged a decade ago to phase out all fossil fuel subsidies."

Is this a form of geoengineering? More aerosols.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:37:17 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 27, 2019, 10:13:36 PM »
Florida media partner to share climate change reporting | Miami Herald
Climate change is the story of Florida’s future. No other state has as much at risk.

That’s why six of the leading news organizations in Florida have formed a partnership to share stories and work together to report on the complex challenges of climate change. The founding members include the Miami Herald, the South Florida Sun Sentinel, the Tampa Bay Times, the Palm Beach Post, the Orlando Sentinel and WLRN Public Media.

“This is an opportunity to maximize our ability to cover the biggest story of our lives — the threat of climate change,” Julie Anderson, editor and chief of the South Florida Sun Sentinel and Orlando Sentinel, said in a statement released Tuesday announcing the collaboration. ...
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article231828608.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 27, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
“The Oregon Republican senators who've walked out on #HB2020 and a cap-and-trade vote say they're representing their constituents. Taken together, their campaigns have been funded by one primary constituent: Corporate America.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/robwdavis/status/1143245771484983296
Chart below.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #637 on: June 27, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »
A new study suggests people stop gathering evidence earlier when the data supports their desired conclusion than when it supports the conclusion they wish was false.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-people-bias.html

"Our research suggests that people start with an assumption that their favored conclusion is more likely true and weight each piece of evidence supporting it more than evidence opposing it. Because of that, people will find no need to gather additional information that could have revealed their conclusion to be false. They will stop the investigation as soon as the jury tilts in their favor"

Evidence accumulation is biased by motivation: A computational account

https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007089

"People tend to gather information before making judgments. As information is often unlimited a decision has to be made as to when the data is sufficient to reach a conclusion. Here, we show that the decision to stop gathering data is influenced by whether the data points towards the desired conclusion. Importantly, we characterize the factors that generate this behaviour using a valence-dependent evidence accumulation model. In a sequential sampling task participants sampled less evidence before reaching a desirable than undesirable conclusion. Despite being incentivized for accuracy, participants’judgments were biased towards believing they were in a desirable state. Fitting the data to an evidence accumulation model revealed this behavior was due both to the starting point and rate of evidence accumulation being biased towards desirable beliefs. Our results show that evidence accumulation is altered by what people want to believe and provide an account for how this modulation is generated."

Qce

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #638 on: June 29, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
Climate change talks bow to pressure from oil-rich Saudi Arabia.

"Despite meeting during a record-breaking heatwave, delegates failed to make significant progress during UN climate change talks — and bowed to the demands of oil-producing countries over how to respond to a flagship scientific study."

"A handful of countries, led by Saudi Arabia, wanted to make note of uncertainties around the science in the study, which outlined potential harms if the 1.5C threshold was breached."

"It caused dismay among delegates representing island nations who face an existential threat from rising sea levels linked to higher temperatures"

"Jean Su, energy director at the Center for Biological Diversity, said the main obstacle to "real climate action" was "the sheer lack of political will"."

In other words, BAU.

Edit: Sorry, should have posted this in "UN Climate Agreement - Paris 2015 and beyond"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #639 on: June 29, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
Climate change talks bow to pressure from oil-rich Saudi Arabia.

"Despite meeting during a record-breaking heatwave, delegates failed to make significant progress during UN climate change talks — and bowed to the demands of oil-producing countries over how to respond to a flagship scientific study."

"A handful of countries, led by Saudi Arabia, wanted to make note of uncertainties around the science in the study, which outlined potential harms if the 1.5C threshold was breached."

"It caused dismay among delegates representing island nations who face an existential threat from rising sea levels linked to higher temperatures"

"Jean Su, energy director at the Center for Biological Diversity, said the main obstacle to "real climate action" was "the sheer lack of political will"."

In other words, BAU.

Edit: Sorry, should have posted this in "UN Climate Agreement - Paris 2015 and beyond"
Nope, you were right.

Greed and stupidity meets cowardice. Scum of different varieties, but all scum.

Needs posting just about everywhere. The sort of disgraceful crap from the people who presume to govern us that justifies all the civil disobedience actions taken and demands yet more.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 04, 2019, 03:16:36 AM »
It is important that these decisions are memorialized now. When SHTF people will look for someone to blame, so we must make sure the people condemning us to misery now are the ones that pay when it is time to pay.

We should be making monuments about climate change deniers.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 11, 2019, 01:04:50 AM »
Excerpts from the Twitter thread, found here:  https://twitter.com/jakeclevine/status/1148769674093424640

Jake Levine (@jakeclevine) 7/9/19, 9:43 PM
In honor of Trump's enviro speech, a lil THREAD for the people. EPA Admin Wheeler and CEQ Chair Neumayr did a preview press call. The questions from reporters are *pure gold.*
I have reproduced them here. You're welcome. (Since all the answers are bullshit, those are omitted.)
Q: Can you comment on criticisms from various environmental organizations, including the Sierra Club, who said that, “Trump is resorting to greenhouse gaslighting the public to try and cover up the fact that he is the worst president in [the] history for the environment…”? TY
Q: And second, the President has said numerous times now that the United States has the best air quality and the best water quality in the world. Neither of those is true. And do you know why he said it? Is he being misinformed? Or is he just straight-up lying? Thank you.
Q: Hi, this is Scott Waldman (@scottpwaldman) from E&E News. Administrator Wheeler, can you tell me why the EPA has deleted climate-related pages from its website?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 13, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
The Climate Mobilization (@MobilizeClimate) 7/9/19, 3:35 PM
450+ elected officials from 40 states just declared climate crisis an emergency and are calling for a national plan to phase out fossil fuels. protectingamerica.net/news/
WOW.
https://twitter.com/mobilizeclimate/status/1148677014699646976

—-
Michael Page (@MichaelPageWx) 7/11/19, 2:06 PM
New this Week: Boston saw more “sunny day” flooding last year than any other city in the Northeast, according to a report. Increasing sea levels are the primary reason.  https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Boston-Sees-More-Tidal-Flooding-Than-Any-Other-Northeast-City-512584801.html
https://twitter.com/michaelpagewx/status/1149379556387762176

——
Kate Marvel (@DrKateMarvel) 7/12/19, 7:19 AM
Climate change usually doesn't "cause" extreme weather any more than doping "caused" Lance Armstrong to win races. But we know what doping does, and we know what climate change does.
https://twitter.com/drkatemarvel/status/1149639340382752768

Zythryn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #643 on: July 13, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
One of the largest Reinsurers says they won't cover coal anymore.

http://news.chubb.com/2019-07-01-Chubb-Announces-New-Policy-on-Coal-Underwriting-and-Investment

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #644 on: July 13, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »
It is important that these decisions are memorialized now. When SHTF people will look for someone to blame, so we must make sure the people condemning us to misery now are the ones that pay when it is time to pay.

We should be making monuments about climate change deniers.

When will that be? 2030? 2050? 2100? They will all be dead in the long run.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 14, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
Katharine Hayhoe (@KHayhoe)
7/13/19, 3:57 PM
The most frequent question I've heard over the last two years is, "what gives you hope?" -- so I've been using @polleverywhere to ask people that same question after I give a talk! I've categorised 550 responses over the last 6 months. Guess what's #1? KIDS!
https://twitter.com/khayhoe/status/1150132038986608640
- It's also important to note that 83% of the responses relate to people; 8% to faith (with most but not all of those coming from the 2 out of 7 faith-based audiences included in the sample) and 7% relate to science and technology.
- For me, this reinforces how important talking, interacting with other people and sharing inspirational stories of what others are doing, individually and collectively, is -- because that's what gives us hope.  ted.com/talks/katharin…*
- And without hope -- a rational hope, based on a recognition of how bad it is and how much work it will take to fix it -- we will be a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

* Katharine Hayhoe: The most important thing you can do to fight climate change: talk about it | TED Talk
https://www.ted.com/talks/katharine_hayhoe_the_most_important_thing_you_can_do_to_fight_climate_change_talk_about_it

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 22, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »
The former Unilever chief executive Paul Polman is a fan of the teenage activist Greta Thunberg and the demonstrations she has inspired.

Ex-Unilever boss seeks 'heroic CEOs' to tackle climate change and inequality
The former boss of Unilever is seeking a team of “heroic chief executives” to drive a shift to a low-carbon, more inclusive way of doing business.

Paul Polman, who stepped down from the Anglo-Dutch owner of Marmite and Dove in November last year after a decade at the helm, warns that the rise of populism and Brexit are symptoms of capitalism’s failure to adapt. Bosses, he insists, must commit to fighting inequality and tackling the climate emergency.

“We are about to commit the biggest intergenerational crime in the history of mankind. We need to bring us together not drive us apart,” said the 63-year-old Dutchman, who won plaudits for pushing the benefits of sustainable business long before it became fashionable.

“If you don’t address inequality and climate change, to keep it simple, a lot more people are going to be dissatisfied, feel not included or left behind, and making these choices of rejection at the ballot box. The fact we are having these issues of populism and schisms in society is exactly because we are not addressing the underlying issue to evolve capitalism and make sure it works for everybody,” he said.

He believes the starting point is “heroic chief executives willing to step up and move outside of the comfort zone and take personal risks. I tried to do the same with Unilever. It’s a matter of willpower.” ...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/21/ex-unilever-boss-seeks-heroic-ceos-to-tackle-climate-change-and-inequality-paul-polman

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #649 on: July 23, 2019, 12:11:57 AM »
America's Finest News Source on conditions necessary for Americans to fear climate change:

"Roughly seven minutes following a climate disaster, ambivalence sets in and Americans forget "

"The good news, however, is that in the five minutes directly after losing a loved one in a hurricane, participants were much more likely to consider reducing their carbon footprint "

https://www.theonion.com/report-average-american-must-have-life-ruined-by-natur-1836604584

sidd