Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action  (Read 280537 times)

Tom_Mazanec

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
Re: What's New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action
« Reply #652 on: July 28, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
10 technologies to fight AGW:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613979/gene-editing-will-help-far-more-than-organic-food-to-slow-global-warming/
The evil voice of agri-business: "please let's not have organic food because that would be good for living nature and stop deforestation and pesticide use etc. Far better to further destroy living nature with manipulating DNA with that wonderful CRISPR and of course even more powerful poisons otherwise our profits and existence are in peril."
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #653 on: July 28, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
Nicely put, nan!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

philopek

« Reply #654 on: July 28, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
10 technologies to fight AGW:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613979/gene-editing-will-help-far-more-than-organic-food-to-slow-global-warming/
The evil voice of agri-business: "please let's not have organic food because that would be good for living nature and stop deforestation and pesticide use etc. Far better to further destroy living nature with manipulating DNA with that wonderful CRISPR and of course even more powerful poisons otherwise our profits and existence are in peril."

A frustrating read because what you say is so much spot on, sigh :(

Rich

« Reply #655 on: July 28, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
Greta Thunberg blasted off at the French Parliament today.

Damn, I adore that kid. She's the fucking avatar for her generation and the entire fight for climate justice.

The Alpha is a 16 year old girl with Asberger's. Terrified of inaction, afraid of nothing else. A real hero.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #656 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
DBR

Don't be so hard on the have nots. It wasn't them that brought us to where we are.

If all of the world cut their emissions by 30% by 2030 it wouldn't do much to help. If some kid in Kenya gets to live in a house, he may have a few years of happiness before the crap we ignited burns everything down. What moral right have we to send him back to the jungle?

Terry

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #657 on: July 29, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »
Good one, Terry.

DBR is clearly an @$$ :)

Time to ban
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #658 on: July 29, 2019, 12:16:24 AM »
Good one, Terry.

Time to ban
Thanks wili

DBR's new here. It can be a damn scary site for those that may just be coming to the recognition of how bad things are going to get.

I haven't read his other posts yet, but perhaps he's at that stage of awareness where he just needs to strike out in every direction. - besides I think our fearless leader is on vacation. :)
Terry

Rich

« Reply #659 on: July 29, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
I believe this is a thread for climate action.

I respect the right of people to subscribe to a doomer outlook. There is certainly plenty of reason to arrive at that conclusion.

People who have a doomer outlook should also have respect for the sensibilities of those who are still trying to salvage something.

There are threads where the doomer outlook is more appropriate to share. This thread is for action. It is disrespectful to come to the thread dedicated to action and express your contempt for that action as meaningless.

Doomsaying s/b off-topic in a climate action thread.

Even in a scenario where we have passed the point of no return, there is still a journey to be concluded and there is less suffering for the people who experience the journey with hope.

This is a thread for people with hope.

dollarbillronson

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #660 on: July 29, 2019, 12:38:10 AM »
I have removed my posts as I realized I might be banned and I wish to avoid that. I like the "View new posts" function too much to risk having to make a new account.

Cheers guys

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #661 on: July 29, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »
I'm responding here to a post in the 2012/2019 thread that went a little off topic:
I'm cutting the bits that I do not wish to respond to.
I trust this is the appropriate thread...

This stuff is certainly interesting, I just wish it did not bring with it such dread.  Great to have community to collectively chew on tthe details and the scary prospects for my kids and all of of us.  Would be even more disturbing to watch this train wreck unfold alone, would be maddening actually. 

mini-speech (again) - I work in the natural sciences (ag & biology), and if people think that the general scientist community is fully aware of the pace and prospects of what's happening our spaceship Earth, my observation is that they would be wrong.  Heck even some of the people I do climate adaptation work with do not fully get the urgency.  The scientists and other smart people I interact with know the basic trajectories, but like like all of us, our  rains focus on the day to day issues.  Hard to save the world between breakfast and dinner.

The climate crisis is so big that it is hard to react to in specific ways. But we have to take any steps we can to push a survival agenda.  In case it's news, we are heading for deep doo doo friends.

I'm off topic for this thread and becoming a pain in the butt with yet another iteration of this speech.  Sorry, I just can't help preaching to the choir.  I just hope all us who visit the ASIF will become irritants even if it makes us irritating and predictable to our family, friends and our larger social network.   If not those of us who watch the unfolding epic changes in minute detail, then who else? Thanks for considering this request.  I will try to stick to the data hereafter -- for a while at least.

Agreed Glen. I've spent some time today trying to explain the science around water vapour as a GHG in relation to an article featuring a soil ecologist who seems to be on a really good path regarding her field, but I think has rather lost it when it comes to climate science. Of course I'm not an expert in either, so I probably screwed both topics up...
I'd appreciate a real climate scientist weighing in :D
https://www.lajuntatribunedemocrat.com/news/20190218/soil-ecologist-challenges-mainstream-thinking-on-climate-change?fbclid=IwAR2UkFBtgKrvdSl8NekSou-Sd5igUyt7oJNJzrO70jIGhjkMjICjzXCixE4

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #662 on: July 29, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
Good one, Terry.

Time to ban

Who is DBR? I don't see that name in this thread recently.

EDIT: Oh, dollarbillronson (said later he deleted his posts).
OK. I don't know what you posted, but welcome to the ASIF. I had a rocky start with a couple bullies, so don't give up trying to fit in here.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:27:08 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

bluice

« Reply #664 on: July 29, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »

Rich

« Reply #665 on: July 30, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »
CNN will host a climate change Town Hall on Sept 4th with all of the Democratic candidates who meet the threshold for the 3rd debate. Currently, 8 contenders have qualified.

MSNBC will have an event at Georgetown University. Details to follow.

Unfortunate that the formats and questions are all filtered through the executives of large media corporations. Their fear and kneecapping of my man Bernie is so transparent.

Sunrise Movement will be conducting protests at the DNC meetings in San Francisco in August to push for a climate change debate.

The recent annual Yale Opinion surveys are showing that climate change as a general concern is surging in the US. But most people still think it's going to hurt someone other than themselves and there are limits to their willing to sacrifice for others.

Great news about Greta coming to America for the UN Climate meeting. I'd like to see some cartoons or photoshoos of her sticking a cattle prod up Trump's ass.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:47:00 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #667 on: July 30, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcomm.2019.00036/full

Science and Environmental Communication on YouTube: Strategically Distorted Communications in Online Videos on Climate Change and Climate Engineering

This contribution presents results from an exploratory research project that investigates whether videos found on YouTube adhere to or challenge scientific consensus views. Ten search terms were employed to search for and analyze 200 videos about climate and climate modification topics, which are contested topics in online media. The online anonymization tool Tor has been used for the randomization of the sample and to avoid personalization of the results. A heuristic qualitative classification tool was set up to categorize the videos in the sample. Eighty-nine videos of the 200 videos in the sample are supporting scientific consensus views about anthropogenic climate change, and climate scientists are discussing climate topics with deniers of climate change in four videos in the sample. Unexpectedly, the majority of the videos in the sample (107 videos) supports worldviews that are opposing scientific consensus views...more within the article

bligh

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1160
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
U.S. Democrat presidential hopefuls Debates, Round 2

There was sharp wrangling among the Democratic presidential contenders over the details of universal health care, immigration and crime. But on climate change, there was remarkable unity.

Debate’s Attempt to Show Candidates Divided on Climate Change Finds Unity Instead
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01082019/2020-presidential-debate-climate-change-question-democrats-green-new-deal-global-warming
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Tom_Mazanec

Rich

« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
U.S. Democrat presidential hopefuls Debates, Round 2

There was sharp wrangling among the Democratic presidential contenders over the details of universal health care, immigration and crime. But on climate change, there was remarkable unity.

Debate’s Attempt to Show Candidates Divided on Climate Change Finds Unity Instead
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01082019/2020-presidential-debate-climate-change-question-democrats-green-new-deal-global-warming

The debate format has been pathetic in terms of allowing any depth of discussion on climate.

Booker said it best when he compared the Paris Agreement to something like kindergarten.

There are huge differences. The US became the world's largest oil producer during the Obama-Biden era. Supporting net zero by 2050 is lip service when the IPCC is saying that that we need to cut 45% by 2030....a path only approachable with int'l mobilization.

Biden's climate advisor is a tracking consultant. LOL.

Tom_Mazanec

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
Trumpistan in conflict with his own intelligence services

https://www.wri.org/blog/2019/08/white-house-blocked-state-departments-testimony-climate-and-security-now-lead-author

The White House Blocked the State Department's Testimony on Climate and Security. Now, the Lead Author Tells America Why Climate Change Is Our Greatest Threat.

follow the link - I have got to sign off.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:18:13 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #675 on: August 09, 2019, 02:03:59 AM »
The Next Twilight of Environmentalism:
https://www.ecosophia.net/the-next-twilight-of-environmentalism/

“Endure the EU...”. I think I have all I need to know about the writer....whatever...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 09, 2019, 01:33:04 PM »
The effect of  the "New in Climate Change Acceptance and Action" has been - not a lot.

https://skepticalscience.com/2019-SkS-Weekly-Digest_30.html
Earth Overshoot Day July 29th 2019
On July 29, humanity will have used nature’s resource budget for the entire year, according to Global Footprint Network, an international sustainability organization that has pioneered the Ecological Footprint. It is Earth Overshoot Day. Its date has moved up two months over the past 20 years to the 29th of July this year, the earliest date ever.

Earth Overshoot Day falling on July 29th means that humanity is currently using nature 1.75 times faster than our planet’s ecosystems can regenerate. This is akin to using 1.75 Earths. Overshoot is possible because we are depleting our natural capital – which compromises humanity’s future resource security. The costs of this global ecological overspending are becoming increasingly evident in the form of deforestation, soil erosion, biodiversity loss, or the buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The latter leads to climate change and more frequent extreme weather events.

“We have only got one Earth – this is the ultimately defining context for human existence. We can’t use 1.75 without destructive consequences,” said Mathis Wackernagel, co-inventor of Ecological Footprint accounting and founder of Global Footprint Network.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 09, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
I suppose one success might be considered to be the amount of energy and money now spent on climate change denial

https://features.weather.com/collateral/pretend-underdogs-inside-climate-change-denier-conference-trump-hotel/

I am not using my energy cutting and posting extracts

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #678 on: August 10, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #679 on: August 13, 2019, 01:58:10 AM »
More environmental children's books coming out, thanks to Greta (more than doubled in year):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/11/greta-thunberg-leads-to-boom-in-books-aimed-at-empowering-children-to-save-planet?platform=hootsuite
More info on Scotland's Climate Emergency. A number of people are interviewed:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-49207097?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/science_and_environment&link_location=live-reporting-story
What the University of London's Goldsmith's is doing:
More solar panels and no beef
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-49321560
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:53:55 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 13, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Climate crisis: Goldsmiths university has banned beef to help fight emergency
Beef burgers, burritos and other enduring student dishes are off the menu at a London university -- in order to help the fight against the climate crisis.
Goldsmiths University in London will be scrapping all beef products from its campus, the institution's new chief has announced, as it seeks to become carbon neutral by 2025. ...
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/13/uk/goldsmiths-beef-ban-climate-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #681 on: August 14, 2019, 02:55:22 AM »
California cuts carbon emissions thanks to reductions in electricity emissions. But transportation is becoming a problem:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-12/california-greenhouse-gas-emissions-fell

Florida farmers fighting AGW:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/environment/fl-ne-florida-farmers-fight-climate-change-20190814-5de272javjaitakv3zbnsyd7rm-story.html
“Something has changed and somewhere, someway, that has affected our yields,” he said Monday during a panel at the University of Florida, where farmers met with U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor of Tampa, scientists and agriculture officials.
In Florida, where 26 million acres are in agriculture production, farmers have long faced threats from trade agreements, pests and development. Now they’ve added a new risk to the $140 billion industry: climate change.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:50:59 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #682 on: August 17, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
https://www.michiganradio.org/post/heres-how-you-can-help-combat-climate-change-michigan
The effects of climate change are already being seen, says Kate Madigan, director of the Michigan Climate Action Network.
Cities are taking on some of these challenges now that President Donald Trump has pulled the U.S. out of the Paris Agreement, but there are a lot of actions that individuals can take as well.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/13082019/seattle-city-green-new-deal-heating-oil-tax-free-public-transit-congestion-pricing-resolution
What Would a City-Level Green New Deal Look Like? Seattle's About to Find Out
The next step is turning the City Council’s resolution into pro-climate policies and finding ways to pay for them. Seattle has a few big ideas.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:41:06 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2019, 01:13:43 AM »
Some say they've noticed a drop-off in numbers. "It's harder for students to miss out on school nowadays," Berlin student Martha Stert, who attended more than 20 weekly Fridays for Future protests in 2018, told DW.
The 18-year-old — whose summer break finished at the beginning of August — says teachers have become stricter about missing class as the weekly protests have continued; and that the movement's reputation has also been negatively affected by some students who use the strikes as an excuse to miss school.
But while Stert says she herself is struggling to attend protests as final year exams loom, she believes that younger students are just as enthusiastic and will keep up the momentum. "Protesting at school time" is an essential strategy, she says, as it's the only thing adults "are going to take notice of."
https://www.dw.com/en/after-a-year-of-strikes-can-fridays-for-future-maintain-momentum/a-50095360

I expressed concern recently, on a listserv for climate nerds, over Senator Elizabeth Warren’s military-focused climate plan. It seemed weird to me that one of the first climate policies she’d announce would focus on greening the military; it seemed like a ploy to win over “never Trump” Republicans, centrists and “progressives” who are somehow still pro-military action. I couldn’t understand why someone so famous for holding corporate execs to account wouldn’t burst out the gate with guns blazing at the fossil fuel companies. “I think we need to avoid emotional responses to these policies,” one man sniffed.
My response had been based on knowledge, not emotion, but also: an emotional response to catastrophic climate change and our system’s evident inability to address it seems perfectly valid to me.
https://popula.com/2019/08/19/the-case-for-climate-rage/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:34:09 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 22, 2019, 05:01:32 AM »
Tom, thanks again for the links.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be good to have a title and a context above a quote. To know what's it about :)
And yesterdaymorning my firefox crashed after following a link of yours, can't remember which one though.
This is meant as positive and constructive critique.  :) 8)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #685 on: August 22, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
Tom, thanks again for the links.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be good to have a title and a context above a quote. To know what's it about :)
And yesterdaymorning my firefox crashed after following a link of yours, can't remember which one though.
This is meant as positive and constructive critique.  :) 8)
I thought the context is given by the thread topic, but I’ll try giving the title.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #686 on: August 23, 2019, 01:44:14 AM »
The Fight for Climate Justice Requires a New Narrative
We don’t have to sit idly by and watch our future burn. We are not powerless.
https://www.inverse.com/article/58632-mary-annaise-heglar
e don’t know how to talk about climate change.

Sure, we try. We tread through a battlefield of technical, clinical jargon. Boobytrapped with too many syllables and jolted acronyms. But it’s anything but clinical. What we’re living through is deeply, deeply personal. And emotional. It’s heartbreakingly human.

Climate change means watching not just your childhood home, but your ancestral home, surrender to the sea. It’s being sold on an open slave market because drought sucked your homeland dry. It’s a ticking clock until your tap runs dry.

It’s war, famine, gang violence, sex-trafficking. It’s skyrocketing suicide.

It’s watching everything you planned for light up in fantastic flames right in front of you, all the dreams you were supposed to dream: buying a house, raising a family, planning for retirement.

This isn’t some distant, dystopian future. This isn’t “somewhere else” (and even if it were, that’s no excuse not to care). This is here and now.

Public anxiety about climate change in Britain is at its highest level in 15 years, poll finds
https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/climate-change-national-concern-poll/
Climate change has become a national cause for concern with almost three in four people now believing Britain is already feeling its effects, a poll has revealed.

The Ipsos Mori survey found 85 per cent of Britons were worried about climate change with more than half (52 per cent) ‘very concerned’.

This is the highest level of anxiety about the topic recorded since Ipsos Mori began tracking in 2005.

Nordic PMs sign climate declaration at Iceland meeting
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2019/08/nordic-pms-sign-climate-declaration-iceland-meeting
The declaration, “Draft Joint Statement of the Nordic Prime Ministers and the Nordic CEOs for a Sustainable Future,” was signed by Iceland’s Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir, Denmark’s Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, Finland’s Prime Minister Antti Rinne, Norway’s Prime Minister Erna Solberg and Sweden’s Prime Minister Stefan Löfven; along with Greenland’s Premier Kim Kielsen, Aksel V. Johannesen, the prime minster of the Faroe Islands, a self-governing region part of the Kingdom of Denmark, and by Katrin Sjögren, the premier of Åland, an autonomous region of Finland.

Climate change: What Germany can learn from the Netherlands
https://www.dw.com/en/climate-change-what-germany-can-learn-from-the-netherlands/a-50130937
With Germany set to miss its climate goals by a wide margin, a solution might be right next door. The Netherlands recently revealed a wide-ranging climate deal — including a carbon tax that Dutch companies agreed to pay.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:41:23 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #687 on: August 23, 2019, 04:05:49 AM »
I think this format of articles is perfect. Title, link, short quote.
thanks for all the updates Tom.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #688 on: August 23, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
I think this format of articles is perfect. Title, link, short quote.
thanks for all the updates Tom.

Indeed.  Tom has been quite receptive to constructive suggestions about posting.  He's making a solid contribution to the community here.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #689 on: August 25, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
Well, I can pretty much guarantee that my contribution will be on hiatus Feb 1-10, when I will be on a pilgrimage to Israel (God willing).

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 25, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Well, I can pretty much guarantee that my contribution will be on hiatus Feb 1-10, when I will be on a pilgrimage to Israel (God willing).

Sorry Tom, I couldn't resist   ::)

[sarc]
By aeroplane?  ;) :-X

(Understanding morality from Jezus' perspective, 'God' would not be pleased. But hey, if other people do it too, why shouldn't you? It's about bucketlists and not about morality, am I right? ;))

[/sarc]

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #691 on: August 25, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
Yeah, by airplane (is "aeroplane" a Britishism?).
Pretty sure it will be the last time in my life. I had already signed up before this forum convinced me that AGW is a bigger problem than PO.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 25, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
Thank you Tom for your honesty, relaxtness and high morality in this respect. I wish you a good pilgrimage! :)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #693 on: August 29, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
City adds capacity to address climate, energy
https://www.sopghreporter.com/story/2019/08/27/news/city-adds-capacity-to-address-climate-energy/20093.html
The City of Pittsburgh Department of City Planning has announced the addition of two new members and the promotion of another staff member in the Department’s Sustainability and Resilience Division.

The positions will work together to support energy efficiency in municipal and commercial buildings, integrate the planning and development of district scale and renewable energy strategies for the city operations and projects within the city; and help coordinate the implementation of the city’s climate action plan.

Heat is deadly—even in Montana. But the city of Missoula is doing something about it.
https://www.dailyclimate.org/heat-is-deadly-even-in-montana-but-the-city-of-missoula-is-doing-something-about-it-2639940418.html
Missoula is tackling this problem head-on. The city recently partnered with scientists affiliated with the Thriving Earth Exchange, a project of the American Geophysical Union, to map heat patterns and vulnerable populations. Armed with that data, the city and its nonprofit partners are devising strategies to keep Missoula cool.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #694 on: September 01, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »
TWO-THIRDS OF YOUNG REPUBLICANS FEAR FOR ENVIRONMENT AMID LARGE SURGE IN GOP CLIMATE CHANGE CONCERN: POLL
https://www.newsweek.com/young-republicans-worry-environment-climate-change-poll-donald-trump-gop-1456770
A new survey of global attitudes toward the environment released this week shows 67 percent, two-thirds, of young Republican voters are worried about human damage to the environment. The Amsterdam-based Glocalities polling data reveals an 18 percent spike in 18 to 34-year-old GOP supporters who say they fear the effects of climate change.

The survey of 189,996 respondents from 20 countries between 2014 and 2019 found that a majority of U.S. Republican Party voters today, 58 percent, say they are concerned about human-caused damage to the planet.

The 2014 to 2019 rise in concerns about man-made pollution, greenhouse gases and their effect on the environment is most sizable among Republicans. The U.S. overall has seen an 8 percent increase from 61 to 69 percent over the past five years in people expressing climate change worries. The Glocalities survey also showed a 10 percentage increase among U.S. Republicans who reported trying "to live eco-consciously."

About 17 percent of Republicans explicitly said they have no worries about the effects of climate change. That number is reduced to just 11 percent of young Republicans between the ages of 18 and 34 years old.

But on the Democrat side:
U.S. concern about climate change is rising, but mainly among Democrats
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/28/u-s-concern-about-climate-change-is-rising-but-mainly-among-democrats/
Among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents overall, 84% say climate change is a major threat to the country’s well-being as of July 2019, up from 58% in a March 2013 survey. Views among Republicans and Republican leaners have stayed about the same (27% in 2019 vs. 22% in 2013).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:23:44 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 03, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
Will be more significant when the Wall Street Journal does this.

NYT Climate (@nytclimate) 9/3/19, 7:46 AM
The New York Times has ended its sponsorship of the annual Oil and Money conference, now in its 40th year. Read the statement from NYT spokeswoman Eileen Murphy.
https://twitter.com/nytclimate/status/1168852883531603969

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #696 on: September 04, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
Global warming is a rising priority for voters
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/459613-global-warming-is-a-rising-priority-for-voters
The Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and the George Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication have been studying public responses to global warming for over a decade. Our most recent nationally representative survey found that majorities of Americans are convinced that global warming is happening (69 percent), mostly human caused (55 percent), are worried about it (62 percent), and support a wide variety of climate change policies.

More important, however, are recent shifts within the political climate of climate change. For years, climate change was a relatively low national priority among voters. Recently, however, global warming has emerged as a higher national and voting priority, especially among Democrats. In our most recent national survey (April 2019), registered voters said that out of 29 issues, ranging from healthcare to international trade, global warming was the 17th most important issue in determining their vote in the 2020 presidential election. Indicating the extent of the current partisan divide, global warming was 29th out of 29 voting issues among conservative Republicans. Among liberal and moderate Republicans, it was 23rd. Among moderate and conservative Democrats, however, it was the eighth highest priority voting issue, up eighth places from a year prior. And among liberal Democrats (the progressive core of the Democratic base), global warming was voting issue No. 3, with environmental protection No. 2.

David Suzuki on climate change: ‘We have to address it as if it’s war’
https://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2019/09/03/david-suzuki-on-climate-change-we-have-to-address-it-as-if-its-war.html
Two leading Canadian activists say voters need to think about climate change as if we are country a at war against greenhouse-gas emissions.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:20:15 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:18 AM »
UNDP Palestine (@UNDPPalestinian) 9/4/19, 9:10 AM
In Gaza, @WHO, @Oxfam, PA and UNDP just agreed that it is high time to reduce reliance on fuel and invest more in #RenewableEnergy to deliver basic services for hospitals, schools, clinics, water and sanitation facilities
https://twitter.com/undppalestinian/status/1169236227272400898

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #698 on: September 06, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »
A tragic misperception about climate change
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/459980-a-tragic-misperception-about-climate-change
The U.S. is at a critical juncture. We can remain a spectator and simply stand by and watch as damages continue to mount. Or we can rejoin the global effort to fight climate change and provide support and leadership in the struggle ahead. Committing to the global task represents the most just and ethical path; it is also the path most clearly in the nation’s self-interest.

Could Climate Change Make Cows The Next Stranded Asset?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikescott/2019/09/04/could-climate-change-make-cows-the-next-stranded-asset/#377207a03184
New research for the Coller FAIRR Protein Producer Index, backed by $16 trillion of investment, finds that the world’s largest meat, fish and dairy producers are failing to match the sustainability commitments of the high-street brand names they supply, including McDonalds, Tesco, Nestlé and Walmart.

Study: Most Indiana Residents Believe in Climate Change
Despite its conservative population, 80% of the Hoosier State believes that climate change is real.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-09-05/study-most-indiana-residents-believe-in-climate-change
Vice President Mike Pence opposed federal action to address climate change as governor of Indiana.To explore climate change views, my colleagues and I commissioned an online survey of 1,002 Indiana residents statewide in April 2019. The most reported political affiliation was Republican (28%), though there was a wide diversity of affiliations across the sample. A slight majority were men (52%) and the largest age category was 25-34 (20%).

I found that, overall, Hoosiers believed that climate change was real and was happening. Around 80% of respondents reported believing that climate change was occurring "somewhat" or "to a great extent."

Similarly, a majority felt that climate change will harm Indiana's economy "somewhat" or to a "great extent" (77%) and that climate change was "already" causing harm in the United States or would by 2030 (72%). Over 65% "somewhat" or "strongly agreed" that climate change effects are greater now than five years ago, and 75% supported initiatives to address these impacts in Indiana.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:37:36 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »
Briefing: Good, Bad & Ugly Environment & Energy Bills In The PA House, Senate
http://www.paenvironmentdigest.com/newsletter/default.asp?NewsletterArticleID=47678&SubjectID=
First the basics: The House returns to session on September 17 and has 24 voting days scheduled between then and the end of the year.  The Senate returns September 23 and has 15 voting days scheduled.

Typically, midway through the 2-year legislative session like this, Harrisburg politicians are thinking about what bills they need to get moving or passed to please voters and contributors before running for re-election next year.

And 2020, being a Presidential election year, promises to be a wild and expensive one.

If we’re lucky, they’ll also think a little bit about what’s good for the Commonwealth, the public and, in this case, the environment and energy policy.

Here’s the 30,000 foot view of the bills/issues on the Good, Bad & Ugly lists--

Trucking companies—like Uber and Lyft—say their drivers aren’t employees, worsening inequality and pollution
https://www.fastcompany.com/90401045/trucking-companies-like-uber-and-lyft-say-their-drivers-arent-employees-worsening-inequality-and-pollution
Low-paid drivers can’t afford the costs of updating to low- or zero-emission vehicles, leading to the spread of harmful pollutants. A new California bill aimed at reclassifying workers as employees would also apply to truckers.

Why does the climate-change crisis resonate so much in Quebec?
https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/09/05/why-does-the-climate-change-crisis-resonate-so-much-in-quebec.html
Amidst this cloud of concern, though, there is an evident perception amongst political leaders that Quebec, in particular, is preoccupied with the threats of the warming world. After his Coalition Avenir Québec won power last year, Premier François Legault made a point to underscore his commitment to fighting climate change, after he was criticized for not talking about it enough on the campaign trail. This spring, the NDP chose to launch their climate platform, not in British Columbia, where a pipeline expansion has roused environmentalists and Jagmeet Singh has his seat, but in Montreal.

Hundreds of Amazon employees plan to join climate change strike
https://www.cnet.com/news/hundreds-of-amazon-employees-plan-to-join-climate-change-strike/
Almost a thousand Amazon employees plan to walk out of work later this month, as part of a global climate change demonstration.

Amazon Employees For Climate Justice, a group of Amazon workers trying to push their company to take greater actions on climate change, organized an internal petition for the Sept. 20 walkout, the group confirmed in a Medium post Monday. Both Wired and Vice earlier reported the planned demonstration. Most of the walkout participants so far are from Amazon's Seattle headquarters, with many taking planned vacation days to participate, Wired said.
and
Amazon Employees Will Walk Out Over the Company's Climate Change Inaction
https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-walkout-climate-change/
Over 900 Amazon employees have signed an internal petition pledging to walk out over their employer’s lack of action on climate change. The demonstration, scheduled to start at 11:30 am Pacific time on September 20, will mark the first time in Amazon’s 25-year history that workers at its Seattle headquarters have walked off the job, though many are taking paid vacation to do so. Most of the workers who have signed on so far work in Seattle, but employees in other offices, including in Europe, have indicated an interest in the event as well. The protest is part of a global general strike led by 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg taking place ahead of the United Nations Climate Action Summit on September 23.
and
Amazon employees are striking against climate change
https://mashable.com/article/amazon-climate-change-strike/
Amazon Employees for Climate Justice, a group of Amazon workers who came together in Dec. 2018 to push for the development of a company-wide climate change plan, are demanding that the tech giant lower its climate emissions to zero by 2030. They will show their support by walking out of work on Sep. 20 at 11:30 PST.

These employees will be joining youth and workers in different sectors on this day for a global climate strike, spurred by the millions of students who are protesting complicity to climate change.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:12:31 PM by Tom_Mazanec »