Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Wildfires  (Read 532902 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Wildfires
« Reply #1200 on: January 28, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
It’s not over.

Martin Ollman (@martin_o) 1/28/20, 5:36 AM
RAW timelapse footage of the last few hours - Orroral Valley fire -Out of control #canberra #australia #AustraliaBurning #AustralianFires
https://twitter.com/martin_o/status/1222106288584216578
2 minutes of timelapse footage at the link.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #1201 on: January 28, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
And it will get worse over the next few days. Another burst of 40+ C weather is coming to the area.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1202 on: January 28, 2020, 11:23:09 PM »
And it will get worse over the next few days. Another burst of 40+ C weather is coming to the area.

Feb and Mar are the worst times for fires. With Feb being the one to watch.

The coming heatwave is likely to be the first of three over the coming month. The fires wont be out until April, maybe even May.
They should be out in March.

Sailaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1203 on: January 29, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »
It’s not over.

RAW timelapse footage of the last few hours - Orroral Valley fire -Out of control #canberra #australia #AustraliaBurning #AustralianFires

The fire was started by the landing lights of a helicopter!!

The fire shown in the video is (according to ACT Emergency Services) spot fire 5 km ahead of the main fire front. The fire front is about 8km from the southern suburbs and about 13 km from my house. The problem is that if the fire comes out of the trees it can burn across grassland at about 17 km per hour.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 29, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
It’s not over.

The fire shown in the video is (according to ACT Emergency Services) spot fire 5 km ahead of the main fire front. The fire front is about 8km from the southern suburbs and about 13 km from my house. The problem is that if the fire comes out of the trees it can burn across grassland at about 17 km per hour.

Given the forecast for tomorrow, if I was you, I would bug out now.
Hope to hear from you in a few days with your update.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #1205 on: January 29, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »
Now that sounds pretty weird. What stupid lamp would radiate such heat? Or was it mounted at the skid and touched the grass?

Maybe it was pure coincidence, as there was some fire around already. Perhaps the Murdoch papers have run out of arsonists?

[...]
The landing light was being used because of the smoky conditions. [...]
He said the crew were lucky to escape with their lives.
"The helicopter came down to land and within 12 seconds the aircraft was almost engulfed in flames,"
[...]
"Defence can confirm that the issue outlined in the 2016 ANAO Major Project Report with respect to the MRH-90 Taipan landing lights, did not contribute to the incident in the Orroral Valley," she said. [...]
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6603656/defence-helicopters-had-past-issue-with-landing-light/

I have no idea who owns the Canberra Times.  Time to make a list of reliable media vs. Murdoch propaganda outlets.
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1206 on: January 29, 2020, 04:16:54 PM »

I have no idea who owns the Canberra Times.  Time to make a list of reliable media vs. Murdoch propaganda outlets.
Channel Nine Australia - definitely right-wing.
- was a reliable Climate Change Denier - not sure where it stands now.
- was picked up on repeating dumb theories about cause of Aussie Bushfires, e.g. Arson.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sailaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 29, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »

Channel Nine Australia - definitely right-wing.
- was a reliable Climate Change Denier - not sure where it stands now.
- was picked up on repeating dumb theories about cause of Aussie Bushfires, e.g. Arson.

Sorry it was sold last year by Channel Nine!!!!!
 And it is not owned by Murdock, Packer ....

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 30, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »
Dashcam footage captured by the Dunmore Rural Fire Brigade on 4 January 2020. The footage shows just how quickly a bushfire can move when the wind changes direction.

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

Sailaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 31, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
Bush fire activity has increased today with 40+ temps and some wind. Tomorrow  will see higher overnight temps and wind averages up from today. The worst case scenario for tomorrow would see the ACT fire spread and join up with the existing coastal fire. (I don't think it will be that bad) Spot fire of 10ha have already started from the embers at least 5 km from the main front - some of the spot fired have already integrated with the main fire. Spent the day listening to the fire fighter talking on the emergency services channels!!

Sunday may give us a few mm of rain from thunderstorms so there is little help and a high risk of new fires from dry strikes. Winds will clock over the following days with the potential to drive the fires inland and potentially join up with the fires in the Snowy Mountains. That country is rugged and fires can only really be fought from the air. Every 10 degree increase in gradient doubles the potential fire speed. Not good at all.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fire-spread-prediction-for-saturday-1-february-2020

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:38:10 AM by Sailaway »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 31, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
Now that sounds pretty weird. What stupid lamp would radiate such heat? Or was it mounted at the skid and touched the grass?

Maybe it was pure coincidence, as there was some fire around already. Perhaps the Murdoch papers have run out of arsonists?

[...]
The landing light was being used because of the smoky conditions. [...]
He said the crew were lucky to escape with their lives.
"The helicopter came down to land and within 12 seconds the aircraft was almost engulfed in flames,"
[...]
"Defence can confirm that the issue outlined in the 2016 ANAO Major Project Report with respect to the MRH-90 Taipan landing lights, did not contribute to the incident in the Orroral Valley," she said. [...]
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6603656/defence-helicopters-had-past-issue-with-landing-light/

More likely that as the helicopter was landing the hot exhaust from the two engines ignited the surrounding brush. The downdraft from the rotors would quickly spread the flames.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 01, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »
Within two weeks, the top of the plume had risen as high as 25 kilometers, making this the highest wildfire-caused plume ever tracked by the CALIPSO satellite. “The plume is rising because of the radiative heating of soot particles within the smoke by the Sun.”

Australian Smoke Plume Sets Records
The Microwave Limb Sounder (MLS) on NASA's Aura satellite has collected preliminary data that suggests the Australian fires injected more carbon monoxide into the stratosphere in the month of January than any other event the sensor has observed outside of the tropics during its 15-year mission.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146235/australian-smoke-plume-sets-records

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1212 on: February 01, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
^^
Wow.
That's well into the stratosphere.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 04, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »
Welcome to the Pyrocene

"I have long regarded all of the Holocene as an Anthropocene.  From a fire perspective I now regard the Anthropocene as a Pyrocene." -- Stephen J Pyne http://www.stephenpyne.com/disc.htm

Here is a magnificent German/French docu on the science of wildfire. Made before the Australian Black Summer. Also no mention of the Greenland peat fires ( https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40877099 ).
Still magnificent. Should be produced also in english. Or maybe Neven can do subtitles?

One spectacularity starting at 37:33 -- Dunno if this is real or a computer simulation. Pyrocumulonimbus in Fort McMurray, Alberta, 2016.

Apropos Australian Aboriginal controlled fire techniques: Something also known to First Americans, from the Amazon to Canada.  Intro 1:02:12 about "learning again how to dance with the beast", then reporting from BC Canada.

German version:

--------------------------------
P.S.: Aboriginal controlled fire techniques won't cut it, methinks. What is also needed is a return of human-migrant "controlled grazing" and the wild bison to help with soil formation and spread seeds.

My new dream job: Landscape fireologist.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:12:35 PM by Florifulgurator »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #1214 on: February 07, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »
No Food, No Fuel, No Phones: Bushfires Showed We're Only Ever One Step From System Collapse
https://phys.org/news/2020-02-food-fuel-bushfires-collapse.html

This summer's bushfires were not just devastating events in themselves. More broadly, they highlighted the immense vulnerability of the systems which make our contemporary lives possible.

... To better understand a complex system collapse, let's examine what happened in Victoria's East Gippsland region, particularly the coastal town of Mallacoota, during the recent fires.

This case demonstrates how one trigger (in this case, a bushfire) may start a cascade of events, but the intrinsic fragility of the system enables total collapse.

... All complex systems have three things in common:
  • they need a constant supply of energy to maintain their functioning
  • they are interconnected across a range of scales, from the personal and local to the global and beyond
  • they are fragile when they have no "redundancy," or Plan B.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1215 on: February 07, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
No Food, No Fuel, No Phones: Bushfires Showed We're Only Ever One Step From System Collapse

This case demonstrates how one trigger (in this case, a bushfire) may start a cascade of events, but the intrinsic fragility of the system enables total collapse.

... All complex systems have three things in common:
  • they need a constant supply of energy to maintain their functioning
  • they are interconnected across a range of scales, from the personal and local to the global and beyond
  • they are fragile when they have no "redundancy," or Plan B.
I think you can add - "just-in-time" systems, i.e. minimal stocks & no slack.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1216 on: February 07, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »
Florifulgurator:

My new dream job: Landscape fireologist

May I suggest the more general job title: Carbon Ranger

There is definitely a global need for this kind of personnel and they should learn much more than fire fighting before they are authorized to watch the Globe and act on our behalf.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1217 on: February 07, 2020, 08:07:20 PM »
gerontocrat
Just in time is wonderful until someone, somewhere in the chain flubs a handoff.

I always prefered a well stocked warehouse.
Terry

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 08, 2020, 01:23:21 AM »
Florifulgurator:

My new dream job: Landscape fireologist

May I suggest the more general job title: Carbon Ranger

There is definitely a global need for this kind of personnel and they should learn much more than fire fighting before they are authorized to watch the Globe and act on our behalf.

Excellent suggestion. Yes, there is quite a bit to learn for such a "job". Quite a meta job... (First I need to check out horse riding, and if it doesn't kill my bad spinal disk. :) ) Hmm, Ranger sounds a bit "local" to me German. Last century I was dreaming of being ranger while meeting some in Yosemite and on Navajo lands... last century...

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1219 on: February 08, 2020, 05:29:06 AM »
F, glad you like it.

Don't know where the German translation came from

Überfallkommando

Under all circumstances, the Carbon Ranger needs to take it from the local level at first, not necessarily involving a horse or a Ford vehicle. One could even aspire to become a regional or a global Carbon Ranger and mainly rely on satellite information. It is clearly broader in scope than traditional forest or park ranger jobs.

We just need to come up with a viable business model involving those willing to pay and those willing to do the job.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 08, 2020, 06:37:33 AM »
Überfallkommando
No idea how that wörd could occur to you. But here's another German wörd that came to my mind on the topic: Arbeitsdienst. Only half joking. We can mostly forget about (private) business models here...  (When I have better connection and more time I will post picture and video of what I have in mind, and what not.)

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1221 on: February 10, 2020, 09:09:17 AM »
One of my friends was a firey, doing controlled burns for the US NPS.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 10, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
Warning - disturbing imagery and highly emotional content. Prof. @MichaelEMann joins Tara Brown and representatives of the Fire Service and a politician to discuss the impact of climate change on the ferocity of Australia’s bushfires. #ClimateEmergency #AustralianBushfires
https://mobile.twitter.com/scowlingmonkey/status/1226682783009038336

60 Minutes Australia on Twitter: "Did you miss any of last night's #60Mins? International viewers can catch up on 'Fire Fight' in full on the @60Mins official YouTube channel. https://t.co/skoLnHWEX6
https://mobile.twitter.com/60mins/status/1226656035454144512

The fight against Australia's biggest ever bushfires | 60 Minutes Australia

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 26, 2020, 06:14:32 PM »
Northern California

Daniel Swain: "It is pretty astonishing that there is a 40+ acre wildfire with a "moderate rate of spread" currently burning--in late February--in *Mendocino County.* February is typically peak of the rainy season in what is usually quite a wet part of California. #CAwx #CAfire #CAwater”
https://mobile.twitter.com/weather_west/status/1232453349993091072

"Baseball Fire" burning in Mendocino National Forest grows to 60 acres, 5% contained (updated 9:40pm)
https://mendovoice.com/2020/02/baseball-fire-burning-east-of-covelo-reaches-40-acres-forest-service-and-cal-fire-responding/

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #1224 on: February 27, 2020, 04:33:20 PM »
Interesting article about a series of papers in Nature Climate Change:
https://www.wired.com/story/australias-bushfires/

In particular, some of the research is making a staggering argument: This season’s bushfires were so catastrophic, they caught modelers off guard—way off guard. The models not only hadn’t predicted that bushfires of this magnitude could happen now, they hadn’t even predicted that bushfires of this magnitude could happen in the next 80 years.

“This is perhaps one of the first really big cases where we've seen the real world do something before we've been able to have the capacity to model it properly,” says climate scientist Benjamin Sanderson of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, who cowrote a piece in the Nature Climate Change package. “This event was worse than anything in any of the models at any point in this century. Only one of the models toward the end of the century started producing things of this magnitude.”

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1225 on: February 27, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
Oh well. Long ago back in the early nineties or so models said that watching the Arctic ice die would be a thing for my retirement age but then the old ice went early this century.

The whole problem is that you model everything you know but then you need to be candid about what you don´t know and how bad that could get.

Should be a good moment of reflection for them.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 29, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
Interesting article about a series of papers in Nature Climate Change:
https://www.wired.com/story/australias-bushfires/

In particular, some of the research is making a staggering argument: This season’s bushfires were so catastrophic, they caught modelers off guard—way off guard. [...]
Like with rapid Arctic melt, which close observers find unsurprising, I found the Australian Black Summer completely unsurpirising. I vividly remember watching the 2003 fire together with a friend who is a mega gas turbine engineer, and see his jaw drop... Not the first time that a scientist's/engineer's jaw dropping to the floor taught me more in a fraction of a second than a whole semester of lectures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires#Fire_tornado

The article has an excellent video made before the Black Summer 2019/20:

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 12, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
The climate-denying Australian Govt got hit hard by the fires this year... then they changed their tune a little bit by saying the climate is changing but it is natural... or that our percentage is so small that it doesnt matter..... then they talked about how they would leap into action to help rebuild the regions that were burnt down.

Three months later.......

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/12/were-all-just-waiting-nsw-south-coast-residents-still-in-limbo-three-months-after-bushfires

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #1228 on: March 12, 2020, 10:41:08 AM »
The climate-denying Australian Govt got hit hard by the fires this year... then they changed their tune a little bit by saying the climate is changing but it is natural... or that our percentage is so small that it doesnt matter..... then they talked about how they would leap into action to help rebuild the regions that were burnt down.

Three months later.......

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/12/were-all-just-waiting-nsw-south-coast-residents-still-in-limbo-three-months-after-bushfires

The 'Global Elite' will never allow their monies (*) to be poured into mitigating the impacts of AGW?

(*) 'Their monies' includes all the money they reckon they can swindle from the Planet over the coming Years?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #1229 on: March 23, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
What's going on here? Are these real fires already? Or are these the heat signatures of peat fires that the satellite is picking up?

https://go.nasa.gov/3aktNg0
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: March 24, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
Bushfire smoke linked to hundreds of deaths

The first study to estimate health effects from Australia’s extreme fires suggests that several thousand more people were admitted to hospital.

Researchers estimate that smoke pollution probably killed more than 400 people during the unprecedented bush fires across southeast Australia from November to February. Thirty-three people were killed in incidents directly related to the fires.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00886-9
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 04, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »
Fire season has definitely started now.

https://go.nasa.gov/2x1W1xv
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1232 on: April 04, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 05, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
Freegrass, this one might be of interest for you >> https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/11/underground-fire-in-china-burning-for-59-years-spd/
That's what I was wondering about, if some of those heat signatures are peet or other underground fires. There are so many of them on the planet...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal-seam_fire#List_of_mine_fires

WTF happened?

Phoenix

« Reply #1234 on: May 05, 2020, 01:36:48 AM »
https://www.ecowatch.com/wildfires-siberia-russia-2645912533.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Apparently, Siberian wildfires are worse than last year at this point.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 08, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
Siberian Wildfires Have Burned an Area More Than Three Times the Size of Delaware
https://earther.gizmodo.com/we-should-probably-talk-about-the-huge-wildfires-in-sib-1843205527

Wildfires ‘Critical’ in Siberia and Russian Far East, Up to Ten Times Worse Than Last Year
https://siberiantimes.com/ecology/others/news/wildfires-critical-in-siberia-and-russian-far-east-up-to-ten-times-worse-than-last-year/

It’s spring in an era of rapid climate change so that means Russia is being lit up by monster fires. But in an era of coronavirus, a confluence of factors has made the wildfires even worse.

Russia has had a rough go of it this year. It set a record for its hottest winter ever and Moscow basically skipped the season entirely. The heat has continued into spring, and now, the Siberian countryside is on fire. Emergencies Minister Yevgeny Zinichev called it a “critical situation,” according to the Siberian Times.

Thomas Smith, a geographer at the London School of Economics, told Earther that there are roughly 5 million acres of forest and grassland ablaze in Russia. The largest fire clocks in around 1 million acres alone, or basically the size of Glacier National Park. Towns have been caught up in the fires with hundreds of structures wiped out and smoke clogging the air, making it hard to breathe. “Critical situation” might be an understatement.

Many of the blazes appear to be human caused, but extreme heat is fanning the flames. The winter warmth means that snowpack disappeared quickly, drying out vegetation and the soil. Conditions throughout April and into May have been freakishly warm as well. In recent days, temperatures have spiked as much as 36 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) above normal for this time of year, and the heat is expected to hold for at least the next week.

This is all shocking and yet sadly on trend. The boreal forest that rings the northern tier of the world is burning at a rate unseen in 10,000 years. Rising temperatures have played a role by drying out forests and priming them to burn and creating conditions where fires are more likely to spread. That releases carbon dioxide, ensuring ever larger fires by heating up the planet further.

The coronavirus could also be making matters even worse. The lockdown is likely helping drive the fires. Russia’s lockdown started with a focus on Moscow in late March. It’s since spread to the rest of the country and been extended until May 11. Many city residents left for the countryside to have more space and have been ignoring fire safety rules, according to the Siberian Times report. The economic slowdown is also making it harder to muster resources to fight the flames.

What’s happening in Siberia is a preview of what’s to come in other parts of the world. The Amazon’s dry season is about to get started and could be worse than last year’s dangerous fire season. In western North America, wildfire season is also just around the corner. For California in particular, the challenges could be severe after the state received only half of its normal precipitation over the winter. Climate change is complicating wildfire season there, and coronavirus will only complicate it further.

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 09, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
Florida wildfires force 1,600 to evacuate outside Pensacola, interstate closed
PENSACOLA, Fla. - Some 1,600 people have been forced to evacuate on Florida's Panhandle after raging wildfires burned several homes and left a portion of Interstate 10 closed on Thursday due to heavy smoke, according to officials.

One of the blazes broke out Monday afternoon in Santa Rosa County, named the Five Mile Swamp Fire, after a prescribed burn Monday quickly grew out of control.

“This is a rapidly evolving situation,” Santa Rosa emergency management officials said in a statement. “If you do not feel safe in your home, you should leave. Take your pets with you.”

The Florida Forest Service said in a statement that the blaze expanded to 10 times its size due to high winds and low humidity since Wednesday morning.
Almost all of Florida has had less-than-usual rain this year. The National Weather Service (NWS) issued a red-flag warning for the Panhandle area on Wednesday due to dry and windy conditions that cause dangerous fire conditions

In nearby Walton County, firefighters were battling another 575-acre blaze.
https://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-wildfires-force-1600-to-evacuate-outside-pensacola-interstate-closed

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 08, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
Big wildfire already, close to the siberian coast.

https://go.nasa.gov/3dJXitd

WTF happened?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 18, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
U.S.
Arizona's Bush Fire burns through about 115,000 acres
June 18 (UPI) -- Arizona's Bush Fire has burned through about 115,000 acres with only 5 percent contained, an incident report showed Thursday.

The blaze, which was sparked Saturday by a car fire on Bush Highway that ignited dry bush and grass, doubled in size from Tuesday to Wednesday. 

It surpassed the size of Mesa, a city in Maricopa County, Arizona, when it burned through 104,379 acres in the Four Peaks Wilderness area of Tonto National Forest on Wednesday night.  Since then, according to Inciweb, the wildfire has burned though 114,941 acres in southern Arizona with only 5 percent contained, becoming the largest active wildfire in the country.

According to the National Interagency Fire Center, 37 large fires have burned through more than 292,000 acres in nine states.

Gila and Maricopa county emergency officials have been evacuating Apache Lake, Sunflower, Punkin Center and Tonto Basin "due to the fire's growth and movement," Inciweb reported.  Residents in Jake's Corner have also been told to pack up and get ready to leave in case they also have to evacuate.

The fire has been fueled by tall grass, shrubs, brush, along with hot and dry conditions and increased winds.

It is Arizona's seventh-largest wildfire on record, according to the National Weather Service Phoenix.

The state's second-largest active fire north of the Grand Canyon in the Kaibab National Forest, called the Mangum Fire, has also grown rapidly this week. It recently doubled in size and has burned through 56,780 acres with 3 percent contained, according to Inciweb. ... 
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/06/18/Arizonas-Bush-Fire-burns-through-about-115000-acres/4651592492293/

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #1239 on: June 19, 2020, 01:34:34 AM »
Wildfires and exceptionally hot weather near the East Siberian Sea.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 19, 2020, 02:50:30 AM »
Facing a record increase in coronavirus cases, Arizona is besieged by wildfires
As coronavirus cases in Arizona hit a new record high, the state is facing another serious threat: wildfires, with several large blazes stoked by extreme heat and drought burning not far from three of its largest cities.
Scientists say the fires are an ominous start to what could be a very active fire season in the West, as the pandemic, wildfires and climate change all converge to create a recipe for potential disaster.
Arizona has already seen three times as much land burned by fire this year compared to the same time frame in 2019, according to Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management statistics.

The largest of the state's fires is the Bush Fire, which is burning northeast of Phoenix in Tonto National Forest. In the roughly five days since it began, it has exploded to become the largest fire currently burning anywhere in the US, and is already one of the largest fires in Arizona history.
As of Thursday morning, the blaze was only 5% contained and had scorched more than 114,000 acres, an area larger than the city of Denver. Evacuation orders have been issued for some towns in Maricopa and Gila counties, as hot and dry conditions are forecast to continue beyond the next week.

As public health officials try to keep the coronavirus from spreading, the pandemic has forced the state's firefighters to adjust how they suppress fires. This year, they are prepositioning more crews, spreading out camp sites and relying more on aircraft to dump water, according to Tiffany Davila, public information officer for the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management.
"... It can be difficult at times to be socially distant while fighting fire, especially when there can be hundreds, maybe even a thousand firefighters assigned to any incident. But we are working in the safest possible way to make sure our crews remain healthy and our communities and residents remain protected," she said.

Extreme heat and a 'megadrought' are fueling the fires
Abnormally high temperatures are the main driver of these massive fires, says Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at UCLA and the National Center for Atmospheric Research.
May was one of the warmest in Arizona history, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), with temperatures in the state 5.5 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the 20th century average for the month.
But there are also longer-term trends at play.
According to the National Weather Service in Phoenix, the city has not seen any measurable rainfall in more than two months.

A fiery rest of 2020 is likely
The situation in Arizona is concerning, but the possibility of what could come as fire season shifts North to other parts of the Western US is even more troubling, especially in California, which has been devastated by several deadly fires in recent years.
The National Interagency Fire Center's most recent outlook projects above-average fire activity in Northern California starting in June, and broadening to include much of the Northwest, which could see fires pop up through September.

"Unfortunately, [Arizona is] probably a preview of what's coming to the surrounding states over the coming weeks and months, because of this emerging drought across much of the West and the projections for a warmer than average summer just about everywhere, which is happening pretty often these days with climate change," Swain said.

And underlying this is an epic, multi-decade "megadrought," which has parched huge swaths of the Southwest. A recent study found that the last two decades are likely the driest stretch the region has seen in hundreds of years, and that human-caused global warming is to blame.
In the short term, favorable weather to help firefighters get control of the flames is not expected anytime soon.

The next opportunity for rain likely won't come until the monsoon season begins in early to mid-July, Swain says.
"Right now, it looks like it'll be at least a couple more weeks of very dry, hot and occasionally windy conditions, which are probably going to mean that some of the fires burning now in Arizona are going to be burning well into July," he said. …
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/18/weather/arizona-wildfires-coronavirus-climate-change/index.html

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 22, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »
This is insane! And the fireseason has only just begun...  :'(

WTF happened?

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1242 on: June 22, 2020, 07:47:43 AM »
Yikes

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1243 on: June 23, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
Is this pyrocumulonimbus clouds over this fire?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 02, 2020, 01:33:45 AM »
Still no fires in Alaska this season. I remember they had a few big ones last year.

WTF happened?

J Cartmill

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1245 on: July 22, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »
Siberian smoke headed north

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 24, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »
Fires Triple in Brazil's Pantanal Wetlands In 2020
https://phys.org/news/2020-07-triple-brazil-pantanal-wetlands.html

The number of forest fires in the Pantanal, the world's largest tropical wetlands, has nearly tripled in 2020 compared to the same period last year, according to satellite data released Thursday.

Brazil's national space agency, INPE, identified 3,506 fires from January 1 to July 22 in the Pantanal, a 192 percent increase from 2019 and the most for the period since records began in 1998.

The trend is all the more troubling given that 2019 already saw a six-fold increase in fires in the region across the full year.

The Pantanal, which stretches from Brazil into Paraguay and Bolivia, is home to an immense wealth of biodiversity.

It sits at the southern edge of the Amazon rainforest, which has also been hit hard by fires so far this year.

Last month was the worst June for forest fires in the Brazilian Amazon in 13 years, with 2,248 of them.

J Cartmill

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1247 on: July 24, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
Extremely dense smoke over a huge area.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 24, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
But which area?