Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Wildfires  (Read 532626 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Wildfires
« Reply #650 on: November 12, 2018, 06:09:38 PM »

There are lots of people who will not be convinced by anything that happens. I've already noticed a conspiracy theory going around to explain these fires as the result of a "directed energy weapon" being used to manipulate the environment. (I heard similar things about hurricane Michael).

Of course it is an "energy weapon" - burning fossil fuels creating excess energy in the atmosphere which is changing "manipulating" the environment. And it is "directed", by the massive effort from the lobbying industry to keep on burning fossil fuels. Perhaps a synonym for a "directed energy weapon"  is "Business As Usual"?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #651 on: November 12, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
In this vein, I'd like to ask again: Are Trump's inane remarks on the wildfires causing a shitstorm in the media?

Here is a very small selection of some of mainstream media's cover of Trump's inane remarks.  And by in large this seems to be policy related criticisms:

Title: "Firefighter union president rips Trump for "demeaning" comments about California wildfires"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tweet-about-california-fires-firefighter-union-president-responds-for-what-president-said-about-california-wildfires/

&

Title: "President Trump's tweet on California wildfires angers firefighters, celebrities"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/politics/california-wildfires-trump-tweets/index.html

&

Title: "Here's everything President Donald Trump has tweeted about the California wildfires"

https://www.redding.com/story/news/local/fires/2018/11/11/california-fires-camp-woolsey-donald-trump-tweets/1967717002/

&

Title: "CNN Meteorologist Explains Why President Trump Is So Wrong About California's Wildfires"

https://earther.gizmodo.com/cnn-meteorologist-explains-why-president-trump-is-so-wr-1830377986

&

Title: "Trump keeps up criticism as California fires rage"

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/morning-energy/2018/11/12/trump-keeps-up-criticism-as-california-fires-rage-408151

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:28:13 PM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #652 on: November 12, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »
Still not enough. We need more destruction, more often, in more places.

It needs to get much worse and more deadly until all the people really notice and then consciously choose to take Global warming and the economic myths driving us to global destruction much more seriously and then ACT accordingly - eg to repeatedly riot on the streets and topple the Governments who are refusing to act on our and our descendants behalf. 

Or is that just too damn radical?

In this vein, I'd like to ask again: Are Trump's inane remarks on the wildfires causing a shitstorm in the media? Is this policy-related stuff hung around his neck like a stone? Or is it all about the stuff Buddy, ASLR and Rob Dekker keep posting in various threads, related to the Mueller investigation or some other non-policy-related thing that Trump does or is being done to Trump?

Because if it's the latter, I agree with Lurk.
Trump is a symptom not a cause. E.G., by the time cities start burning to the ground, the illness will have already progressed to the point where cities are burning to the ground, and it will only keep getting worse.

My attitude towards watching the world burn with my dear Austrian friend Neven at my side:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:14:54 PM by bbr2314 »

magnamentis

« Reply #653 on: November 12, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »

It needs to get much worse and more deadly until all the people really notice and then consciously choose to take Global warming and the economic myths driving us to global destruction much more seriously and then ACT accordingly - eg to repeatedly riot on the streets and topple the Governments who are refusing to act on our and our descendants behalf. 

In this vein, I'd like to ask again: Are Trump's inane remarks on the wildfires causing a shitstorm in the media? Is this policy-related stuff hung around his neck like a stone? Or is it all about the stuff Buddy, ASLR and Rob Dekker keep posting in various threads, related to the Mueller investigation or some other non-policy-related thing that Trump does or is being done to Trump?

first of all +1

second i want to add that to wake up the mob it takes more undeniable directly related events and i fear that only once the atlantic inundated kind of places like the donald's golf course in florida or in other words once people have to leave and lose their homes and their fortunes (mortgages on houses that don't exist anymore) a vast majority will come to terms, again unfortunately that won't go peacefully and the effect of the uproar will be even much more destructive than the slowly but steadily rising waters.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 12, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

first of all +1

second i want to add that to wake up the mob it takes more undeniable directly related events and i fear that only once the atlantic inundated kind of places like the donald's golf course in florida or in other words once people have to leave and lose their homes and their fortunes (mortgages on houses that don't exist anymore) a vast majority will come to terms, again unfortunately that won't go peacefully and the effect of the uproar will be even much more destructive than the slowly but steadily rising waters.
At that point the US Army and massive private security forces will be rounded up to corral whatever cattle are misbehaving. Those who lose their homes will simply be destitute and poor. They should be paying attention to the warnings currently flying and their consumption makes them culpable as well so is the loss of a large part of the "middle class" really an actual loss anyways (?)

Also, DT's Mar A Lago is situated atop the highest point of the coastal limestone ridge along the FL shore, so it is going to be among the last properties to go under. Millions of poor and middle class people in MIA will be affected by 2025. I anticipate South Florida will look a bit like an American Syria come the 2030s.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #655 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
And California probably faster than 2030. With snowfall going down in the southern rockies, and rainfall already more than a month to late it's not promising much good for the future. And with hundreds of thousand of people moving in legally, and hundreds of thousands moving in illegally every year, i wish them all the luck in the world. And last year there were even rapports from firefighters starting the fires themself. They were a private company, and they only get payed if there is a fire.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #656 on: November 12, 2018, 07:54:50 PM »
“We cling to the edge of the continent, shaken by loss, too foolish to run, or too much in love.”
One California calamity after another, and yet we always endure - Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-calamity-11112018-story.html

Terrifying tales of survival in Paradise, and horror for those who didn't make it out of the Camp fire
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-paradise-fire-survival-20181112-story.html

In pictures: The animals caught in California's wildfires
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46178230
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
CAL FIRE (@CAL_FIRE)
11/12/18, 2:34 PM
The #CampFire has produced an online interactive evacuation map for citizens to view. You can view the map at this URL:

Camp Fire - Evacuation/Repopulation Map
http://nifc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=41fe4499192a4e008a1d0c69a96d6284

https://twitter.com/cal_fire/status/1062066124454473728

Evacuation area currently extends to the edge of Oroville.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #658 on: November 12, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
It’s easier for news outlets (and, I suppose, forum commenters ;) ) to whip up clicks/outrage featuring politics rather than reporting on real events, but I assure you, people care more about this crisis than all the political blathering you may see.

Thanks, Sig. Keep up the good work.

Title: "Trump keeps up criticism as California fires rage"

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/morning-energy/2018/11/12/trump-keeps-up-criticism-as-california-fires-rage-408151

He keeps it up? Perfect! That means 'The Resistance' should keep it up too, and leave all the lawyer bullshit be for a few days. This is the kind of stuff that brings Trump down, not the Russiagate wrestling event.

Anything else on the illegal endless wars, millions of Americans living paycheck to paycheck until someone gets sick, crushing student debt, Trump being part of the establishment swamp? There's hours of material to pick from every day for the mainstream media, instead of propping up Trump for ratings with all the lawyer bullshit and political theatre.

This is what brings Trump down.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #659 on: November 12, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
Aha...
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #660 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
My point is that if instead of hanging this around Trump's neck, people prefer the political wrestling, the Kabuki theatre of Mueller, Whitaker and Jim Acosta and whatever the daily media-ratings-propaganda crap is that is copypasted onto this forum every day, then obviously things still aren't deemed bad enough. And thus need to get worse.

I wish it weren't so, but if there's one thing I've learned from running this forum for five years, it's that even people who accept the science of AGW, aren't really serious about AGW or its causes.

But forget the wildfires. Does Mueller finally have Roger Stone by the balls? Has Jim Acosta been declared holy by the Pope yet? And where are the tax returns? Look! There! Russia!

MSNBC just ran a harrowing interview with a fire survivor, and then discussed the insane Trump tweet about the fires. Pretty powerful. Alas they don't have it on their Youtube channel yet.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:41:15 PM by Martin Gisser »

Martin Gisser

« Reply #661 on: November 12, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
This is the kind of stuff that brings Trump down, not the Russiagate wrestling event.
Did Katrina (New Orleans) hurt GW Bush or raise AGW awareness? Nope.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #662 on: November 12, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
MSNBC just ran a harrowing interview with a fire survivor, and then discussed the insane Trump tweet about the fires. Pretty powerful. Alas they don't have it on their Youtube channel yet.

Great, thanks for mentioning.

This is the kind of stuff that brings Trump down, not the Russiagate wrestling event.
Did Katrina (New Orleans) hurt GW Bush or raise AGW awareness? Nope.

It definitely hurt Bush, I believe (see Wikipedia).

If it is done with the same fervour the MSM invests in Russiagate, this kind of stuff can really hurt Trump. I'm sure of it. And there are other social issues that hurt Trump a lot more than the stuff that drives ratings. The thing is, these things also hurt the system and raise awareness, which is not what corporate media is about.

PS I've seen some videos today, and they're as horrible as any I've seen before. Wildfires are the worst.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #663 on: November 12, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »

Meteorologist debunks Trump on wildfires tweet
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Shared Humanity

« Reply #664 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:53 AM »
And California probably faster than 2030. With snowfall going down in the southern rockies, and rainfall already more than a month to late it's not promising much good for the future. And with hundreds of thousand of people moving in legally, and hundreds of thousands moving in illegally every year, i wish them all the luck in the world. And last year there were even rapports from firefighters starting the fires themself. They were a private company, and they only get payed if there is a fire.

You really need to leave now.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 13, 2018, 01:02:42 AM »
Immmediate preventative measures:
#NBC7 San Diego on Twitter: "FIRST ALERT WEATHER: Power has been shut off to dozens of San Diego-area communities during today's Red Flag Warning.
https://twitter.com/nbcsandiego/status/1062090925508308992

Long-term preventative measures:
Fueling the Fire
Controlling combustibles is a major reason we halted the routine conflagration of cities that afflicted America’s cities up to a century ago. Until then, towns burned as often as the surrounding countryside since both were made of the same materials and experienced the same drought and winds. In principle, a similar logic might apply to our rural and wild landscapes if we could agree on what we wanted and how to achieve it. Proper tinkering, many observers think, might allow us to promote the good fires we want and prevent the bad fires we don’t.

For members of the Trump administration, this reasoning leads to “forest management,” which they seem to equate with chain saws. They argue that big-tree logging can be a benign (and profitable) surrogate for fire. But while all fuel is biomass, not all biomass is available as fuel. What fire wants is particles with a lot of surface relative to mass; it wants what a campfire or hearth fire wants. If you wish a fire to flash and roar, put in pine needles, dry grass, and kindling. Add a freshly cut green log and the fire will go out.

Which is to say, logging and burning do different things. Logging physically removes biomass; fire chemically changes it. Logging takes the big stuff and leaves the little; fire burns the little stuff and leaves the big. After a crown fire—a fire that flashes through a forest canopy—what remains are the tree trunks that logging would have hauled off. Removing them earlier would have lathered the land with post-cut debris called slash—exactly the kind of volatile fuel that fire favors. Slash disposal, in turn, typically means burning it, which has its own hazards for escape fires and which fills the sky with noxious smoke. Up until recent decades, the great conflagrations of American history have, with almost preternatural cunning, trailed logging and land-clearing. This is a country that is good at startups, not so great at cleaning up after itself. But that doesn’t mean some kinds of active management can’t work.

Where fires are crashing into towns, the real fuel is the built environment. Aerial photos of savaged suburbs tend to show incinerated structures and still-standing trees. The vegetation is adapted to fire; the houses aren’t. Once multiple structures begin to burn, the local fire services are overwhelmed and the fire spreads from building to building. This is the kind of urban conflagration Americans thought they had banished in the early 20th century. It’s like watching measles or polio return. Clearly, the critical reforms must target our houses and towns and revaccinate them against today’s fire threats. The National Fire Protection Association’s Firewise program shows how to harden houses and create defensible space without nuking the scene into asphalt or dirt. ...
https://slate.com/technology/2018/11/california-woolsey-camp-fire-trump-forest-management.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 13, 2018, 04:04:51 AM »
Authorities have reported 13 more fatalities from a blaze in Northern California that destroyed a town, bringing the total death toll so far to 42 and making it the deadliest wildfire in recorded state history.
7:35 p.m.
A woman who owns property near the location where a deadly wildfire started in Northern California says she got an email from utility Pacific Gas & Electric Co. last week. It said crews needed to come on her property because their transmission system was causing sparks.

It’s still not clear what caused the massive fire that has killed 29 people. PG&E said Thursday it experienced a problem on an electrical transmission line near the site of the massive fire, minutes before the blaze broke out.

It started in the area of 64 acres of land in Pulga, California, owned by Betsy Ann Cowley.

She said she had received an email on Wednesday, the day before the fire started, saying that crews needed to come to her property.  Cowley said the email said crews were coming to work on the high-power lines because “they were having problems with sparks.”

PG&E declined to discuss the email when contacted by The Associated Press.

California fire investigators were at Cowley’s property on Monday.
https://apnews.com/a848e5aae864417fae58cf8c8c0c841e

Pmt111500

« Reply #667 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:40 AM »

You really need to leave now.
Ah, I wondered why I had him on ignore. Is it wrong to wish weather-related harm to types of A555?

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #668 on: November 13, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
It's just the inconvenient truth. But did you not supported this way of life yourself that created this mess ? That's maybe why you like to blame Trump for everything. To hide yourself behind. And a lot can happen by 2030. If you take Florida, the red tide. How many beaches were closed a big part of the year ? They say that human activity contributes to the red tide. And how did all that stuff made it to the sea. Hurricanes, floods..... It started last year just after the hurricane season. And this year again you had 2 hurricanes that flooded importend industrial and agricutural land. So if this contributes to the red tide and it continues until next summer. Than how will Florida look like by than ? A globalist graveyard. And did you not supported that one world/open border policy yourself. But i understand that you don't like to hear this.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 13, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
11/12/18, 10:21 PM
UPDATE: The #CampFire began under atmospheric conditions with “no analog/comparison” in history for the date. Northern California vegetation dryness was off the charts.
Very simply: Without climate change, this fire would not have been so severe. This is an unnatural tragedy.
https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1062183675612332034

An update to my EDDI posts with data now through November 7. The 1-week, 4-week, 6-week, 3-months all maxed out on the EDDI. Extreme fire conditions in these fuels has no analog/comparison.
https://twitter.com/robelvington/status/1062136957269008385
 Image below; more at the link.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #670 on: November 13, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
By the way .... if you have 6,500 houses destroyed, at an average of 2,000 sq feet (conservatively), at a rebuild cost of $130 sq ft (again .... conservatively) .... you get just under $1.7 BILLION.

This doesn’t include other costs like lost work/wages, the cost of fighting the fire, loss of life, etc.

You would think that any FISCAL conservative would see the FINANCIAL wisdom of trying to mitigate global warming before the costs of treating the results of global warming get too out of hand.  We’re just now scratching the surface of accelerating costs of treating the results of global warming.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #671 on: November 13, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »
By the way .... if you have 6,500 houses destroyed, at an average of 2,000 sq feet (conservatively), at a rebuild cost of $130 sq ft (again .... conservatively) .... you get just under $1.7 BILLION.

This doesn’t include other costs like lost work/wages, the cost of fighting the fire, loss of life, etc.

You would think that any FISCAL conservative would see the FINANCIAL wisdom of trying to mitigate global warming before the costs of treating the results of global warming get too out of hand.  We’re just now scratching the surface of accelerating costs of treating the results of global warming.

There has been no proof that wildfires and global warming have any connection besides in the media. There is more cost of damage because there are more people and more property than before.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #672 on: November 13, 2018, 03:05:16 PM »
There has been no proof that wildfires and global warming have any connection besides in the media. There is more cost of damage because there are more people and more property than before.

Yes, it's all a coincidence. Let's just wait until the proof is in...  ::)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Pmt111500

« Reply #673 on: November 13, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »
On the same page above there's this graph.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #674 on: November 13, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #675 on: November 13, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
There is no proof only if you keep your head deeply buried in the sand. That won’t prevent burning your ass but at least it keeps you sane while disasters approaches.

If only there was a way to make sure that the cowards remember their cowardice when it is their turn to deal with climate change. Regrettably, expert cowards that ignore the danger now have the perfect mindset to forgive themselves and pretend they bear no responsibility when disaster hits them.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

wdmn

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #676 on: November 13, 2018, 04:24:53 PM »
@mostly_lurking

Your data on area burned is misleading, since modern fire fighting techniques did not begin in California (or elsewhere in the U.S.) until after world war two. Most fires are now contained, bringing down the total area burned. The fires that can't be contained easily are due to extreme conditions making it impossible to do so. The trend clearly shows these increasing from 2000 onwards, so much so that even with the efforts to contain these fires they are becoming the largest fires by size in state history. eg. see sigmetnow's scatterplot.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #677 on: November 13, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
M_L, two separate pieces were posted upthread - the one that pmt reposted, and the one sig posted on the unprecedented atmospheric conditions. I would think this should be enough.
In addition, California has been warming significantly, October and November have been less rainy than in the past, I can't post the proofs of that atm but I recommend that you check it out. Climate change doesn't subscribe to political agendas - it just is.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »

It is crazy how stupid people are even at a forum like this... we are truly screwed

Martin Gisser

« Reply #679 on: November 13, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »
There is no proof only if you keep your head deeply buried in the sand. That won’t prevent burning your ass but at least it keeps you sane while disasters approaches.

Here's a little e-collage I made in 2008:

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 13, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Yes, the same Oroville Dam that suffered major flood damage last year.

Camp Fire: Oroville Dam officials keep close watch on approaching blaze
OROVILLE, Butte County — The Camp Fire’s relentless push to the south overnight had California officials preparing for the worst Monday at the nation’s tallest dam.

Employees of the state Department of Water Resources, with the help of firefighting crews, were cutting brush and watering down landscapes around Lake Oroville to prevent the 117,000-acre blaze from damaging the reservoir’s infrastructure, including the 770-foot-tall Oroville Dam.

Already, flames had licked a finger on the north side of the giant lake, and construction crews finishing the rebuilding of the reservoir’s spillways after last year’s near-catastrophic fracturing were sent home.

State water officials feared that strong winds from the northeast could blow the fire south to the reservoir’s power plants and water-supply facilities, still some 10 miles away from the blaze.

“We’ve put contingencies in place,” said Erin Mellon, spokeswoman for the Department of Water Resources. “The department will continue to maintain sufficient staffing to monitor the incident around the clock.”

The scare at the lake comes a year and a half after the reservoir’s two major spillways began to erode amid winter storms, causing a precautionary evacuation downstream of nearly 200,000 people.

A $1.1 billion effort to reconstruct the spillways was completed last month and crews have since been doing finishing touches.  Mellon said the work stoppage during the fire would not affect the dam’s ability to operate.

The community of Oroville, south of the lake, has not been evacuated, though communities north of the reservoir have been ordered out.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/amp/Camp-Fire-threatens-recently-reconstructed-13384859.php

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 13, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
CAL FIRE on Twitter: "#WoolseyFire [update] at E St and Alfa Road Rd, south of Simi Valley (Ventura County) is now 96,314 acres and 35% contained. ...
https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1062358120666525696
Image below.

Woolsey Fire: Agoura Hills Restaurant Owner Stays Behind to Help Feed Over 1,000 First Responders
https://ktla.com/2018/11/12/woolsey-fire-agoura-hills-restaurant-owner-stays-behind-to-help-feed-over-1000-first-responders/

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #682 on: November 13, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »
CAL FIRE releases map showing status of structures affected by Camp Fire

The data is work in progress and not all areas have been surveyed for damage. The information from the field inspections is subject to change. It appears that the data is not restricted to just structures in Paradise, CA.

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #683 on: November 13, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »
Here's a little e-collage I made in 2008:

;D ;D ;D
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 13, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
Wildfires are likely to continue to outpace recent projections because the underlying global climate models used underestimate precipitation changes in California, including periods of prolonged drought.

California’s Wildfire and Climate Change Warnings Are Still Too Conservative, Scientist Says
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/13112018/california-deadliest-wildfire-climate-change-warnings-firefighting-costs-too-conservative-scientists?

magnamentis

« Reply #685 on: November 13, 2018, 08:15:32 PM »

there is already enough proof and i as well vote to put most weight and energy to communicate clear cases than provide ammunition the the retarded who question anything without proof and catch the vast majority with no own knowledge and opinion.

BTW that is exactly of what trumps followership consists, of a vast number of people who fall for what they want to hear and doubt any facts even those with proof (lying to themselves)

i think it's clear what i want to say, doomsday pictures about things that would happen perhaps less often but still happen even when i new ice age would approach, are not best suited to convince the big REST of the population.

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #686 on: November 13, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
Michael Mann has been interviewed on  BBC World today - but not on BBC's UK output. Here are twitter links. (I don't know how to get direct links to the video.)

Part 1: https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/status/1062334226132058112

Part 2: https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/status/1062334792992210944
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:13:32 PM by GeoffBeacon »
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 13, 2018, 09:23:52 PM »
Thanks Geoff. Watched, downloaded, re-encoded (slightly compressed) and now uploaded below.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 13, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »
Thanks Geoff. Watched, downloaded, re-encoded (slightly compressed) and now uploaded below.
Did the Prof say "California - you are screwed"  ? I think he did.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 13, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
“This is not ‘the new normal,’ this is ‘the new abnormal’.”

Gov. Brown: Mega-fires 'the new abnormal' for California
“This is not the new normal, this is the new abnormal. And this new abnormal will continue certainly in the next 10 to 15 to 20 years. Unfortunately, the best science is telling us that dryness, warmth, drought, all those things, they’re going to intensify,” Brown said. “We have a real challenge here threatening our whole way of life, so we’ve got to pull together.”
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-california-fires-woolsey-hill-camp-gov-brown-mega-fires-the-new-1541985742-htmlstory.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:02:43 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
No but yes.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 13, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »
US Drought Monitor has had a makeover. https://www.drought.gov/drought/states/california.

Attached is a graph of Cal droughts.

Pmt111500

« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2018, 03:14:06 AM »
Very much sounded like that. California could in theory go for desalination for their water needs, but it's still a very populated country, like some high tech-Spain... Well spain has high speed rail.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:19:37 AM by Pmt111500 »

Martin Gisser

« Reply #693 on: November 14, 2018, 04:05:20 AM »
Well spain has high speed rail.
And brick houses that don't work as gigantic tinder. Again it looks like American style houses are a major fire hazard.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #694 on: November 14, 2018, 05:05:28 AM »
American style houses are a major fire hazard.
American style disastrous CO2 emitting drivers who love 10MPG vehicles, 1-3MPG racing vehicles, drag racers, 0.1MPG(less?) dirt&water-bowl 6000HP mudders, equally powered Tractor Pull events & environmentally calamitous drift racers far out-strip per capita energy consumption, creating heat retarding atmospheric CO2...... & extra wild fires. 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 14, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »
California Professional Firefighters - CPF President Brian Rice Responds to President Attack on CA Fire Response
http://www.cpf.org/go/cpf/news-and-events/news/cpf-president-brian-rice-responds-to-president-attack-on-ca-fire-response/

Videos:

“Aerial video shows fire crews extinguishing a brush fire that sparked along the 118 Freeway in Simi Valley, California, on Monday. Firefighters were able to get the flames under control, preventing the fire from spreading further, according to KABC”
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1062536947065937920

Paradise, CA resident finds his town destroyed after the #CampFire
https://twitter.com/AMHQ/status/1062688392893345793

Twitter thread with photos:

“Here's the crazy story of just one of the many heroes in Paradise, the town destroyed by California's deadliest fire ever. His name is Allyn Pierce, and he's the badass nurse who drove this truck through the flames.”
https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/1062162154906742784

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #696 on: November 14, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
California's "Camp Fire" death toll jumps to 48 as lawsuit blames utility

The  number of homes burned in the Camp fire in northern California, is 7,600 .... and 200 people are still missing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/california-fires-camp-woolsey-containment-evacuations-death-toll-2018-11-14-live-updates/

Anyone who doesn't understand that forest fires are made WORSE by a "speeding up of the hydrological cycle" in a warming planet ...... needs to re-visit their high school science books.  As temperatures warm, water evaporates more quickly .... thus taking away water from the ground and from plants more quickly than before.  The dryer the ground and the plants .... the greater the damage that will happen during forest fires.  NOT ROCKET SCIENCE ........ even a finance guy could understand this basic science.  ;)

However ..... since I AM a finance guy ..... I understand that SIGNIFICANT $$$$$ are going to be spent NOW and in future years dealing with the OUTCOME of global warming, rather than spending FEWER DOLLARS UPFRONT PREVENTING THE BAD OUTCOME IN THE FIRSTPLACE.

That is why I register and THINK as an Independent .... rather than a Republican .... because the Republican party is NOT FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE.  They are owned by the lobbyists.  Sorry to interject "politics" here ... but I think it is important for people to realize what REAL FISCAL responsibility is all about.  And that some policies that are considered "PROGRESSIVE" ARE ALSO FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE (dealing with global warming and single payor healthcare being just two of them).

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 14, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
Here's the latest on the devastating #CampFire in Paradise:
- 130,000 acres burned
- 35% contained
- 48 people dead
- 52,000 remain evacuated
- 8,817 structures destroyed, including 7,600 homes

Camp Fire: Death toll grows to 48, Butte County requests National Guard help in search for remains
Lisa Almaguer, communications manager for the Butte County Health Department, said that the evacuation order is in place for a good reason — not only are firefighters still battling the blaze but the fire-ravaged territory is far from safe. There is no power or water or phone service in most of the evacuated precincts.

Well water could be contaminated; ash and soil toxic. Any food left in a refrigerator would be spoiled by now. People attempting to return to their destroyed or damaged properties could encounter collapsed septic tanks, crumbing walls, or be injured by falling limbs or chimneys. Piles of ashes or charred wood that appear to be cool could still contain burning embers. ...
https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/Camp-Fire-grows-to-130-000-acres-35-percent-13389817.php

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #698 on: November 14, 2018, 08:20:28 PM »
Sig

Any ideas on why they are warning of collapsing septic tanks?
These are a minimum of 18" below grade, are generally made of concrete and are filled with water.

Those returning after the fire don't need to be distracted by such unwarranted fears.
Terry

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #699 on: November 14, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
Terry , I thought the tone of the warning was alarmist but we do use plastic septic tanks and you are told when they put them in to not drive on them.