Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: "Smart" and "Stupid" Questions - Feel Free To Ask  (Read 1031742 times)

PragmaticAntithesis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: "Smart" and "Stupid" Questions - Feel Free To Ask
« Reply #3100 on: March 13, 2020, 10:01:53 PM »
Also of note ELECTROVERSE are a bunch of gibbering cranks. links to such a source do not belong on this forum.
There are data sources that do not encourage visiting such sites and raising their profile on search engines.

Well I dun goofed then!

A maunder minimum would drop temperatures by about 0.3C  15 years warming at our present rate of around 0.2C a decade.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. Looks like praying to the Sun God(s) isn't a viable climate change mitigation strategy after all.
Don't go near the Philosopher's Stone, it's radioactive

philopek

« Reply #3101 on: March 13, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »
Also of note ELECTROVERSE are a bunch of gibbering cranks. links to such a source do not belong on this forum.

A few remarks:

First i posted without link. Even though I was reading on the solar minimum topic many pages from various sources recently, i remembered that you all are so much in love with links and decided to google for sun-spots and solar minimum.

The linked page states exactly what i true under this aspect, what else they do I DO NOT KNOW and I DO NOT CARE.

What you did is discourage me again to search for links. Without links you complain for the missing link and with link you complain about the source.

If you think that before posting a link that confirms what i already know or learned before I gonna search for detailed reviews of the page with that link, which is in vain because I would find quite all kind of opinions anyway, you can Kiss M. A.

In the future I won't translate with google's help just to hear about bad translation while the content as such and it's meaning are obvious and what counts and won't post links to hear about bad source and what belongs. I just say: "Hit & Run"

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #3102 on: March 13, 2020, 11:27:33 PM »
I suggest rather than having a rant at me you carefully research your source and learn why I called them gibbering cranks from doing so.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

blumenkraft

« Reply #3103 on: March 14, 2020, 08:00:52 AM »
I suggest the same!

Pmt111500

« Reply #3104 on: March 14, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
Oh, is this "electroverse" the supporters of the fringe and gringe hypothesis of the cosmogony that wants to overthrow and replace at least 80% of known subatomic physics to deny climate change? Electromagnetic universe? That isn't very easy to prove completely false, you'd need to ask why there's radioactivity and how the nuclear plants/bombs work to get them confused. Solar panels are also difficult for them, I guess. They much prefer to burn things to get electricity and have a very poor model for energy generation in stars.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #3105 on: March 14, 2020, 09:03:53 AM »
Yip the same.
Even more to the loon side than WUWT.
A quick read of the site will find plenty of posts anyone with 1/10 a clue would know are gibbering fuckin nonsense.

I am willing to believe philopek made an honest mistake.

The fact the site is on the nutty fringe  needed to be pointed out.
There may be lurkers who get sucked into such propaganda. I feel it is our collective  duty as members of a science based forum to make it clear that some sites are not science  have no value and should not be linked to.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #3106 on: March 17, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »
I'm sure this has been answered many times here.  What is the best size/resolution for an image to be posted here so that it posts full width and does not need to be clicked on to see full width.

blumenkraft

« Reply #3107 on: March 17, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
Below 701px. :)

Test pic (698px)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3108 on: March 17, 2020, 02:47:32 PM »
Just for fun, I took B_'s image and expanded it to 701 pixels wide (and cropped top and bottom) and posted below... and a scroll is required.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #3109 on: March 25, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »
Why is there still a "black hole" in the arctic a few days past solstice?

https://go.nasa.gov/2WOIZOa
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #3110 on: March 25, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »
Because it results from satellite paths. The satellites have many jobs beyond looking at the ice so their path is optimized for the whole earth with the pole hole as a trade off.

the polar orbit that ICESat-2 will enter won’t perfectly line up over the north and south poles, it’ll be off by about two degrees. That leaves a “pole hole” of about 450 kilometers across. This orbital offset means also that as the Earth orbits on its axis, the satellite will fly over a different part of the planet with each pass. The satellite’s orbit will take it on 1,387 unique orbits before it repeats a path.

https://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/4347/

With its sweeping 2,330-km-wide viewing swath, MODIS sees every point on our world every 1-2 days in 36 discrete spectral bands. Consequently, MODIS tracks a wider array of the earth’s vital signs than any other Terra sensor. For instance, the sensor measures the percent of the planet’s surface that is covered by clouds almost every day. This wide spatial coverage enables MODIS, together with MISR and CERES, to help scientists determine the impact of clouds and aerosols on the Earth’s energy budget.

https://terra.nasa.gov/about/terra-instruments/modis
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #3111 on: March 27, 2020, 12:06:31 AM »
Did 2012 have a strong positive AO like 2020 had this year ?
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 27, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »
Because it results from satellite paths. The satellites have many jobs beyond looking at the ice so their path is optimized for the whole earth with the pole hole as a trade off.

the polar orbit that ICESat-2 will enter won’t perfectly line up over the north and south poles, it’ll be off by about two degrees. That leaves a “pole hole” of about 450 kilometers across. This orbital offset means also that as the Earth orbits on its axis, the satellite will fly over a different part of the planet with each pass. The satellite’s orbit will take it on 1,387 unique orbits before it repeats a path.

https://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/4347/

With its sweeping 2,330-km-wide viewing swath, MODIS sees every point on our world every 1-2 days in 36 discrete spectral bands. Consequently, MODIS tracks a wider array of the earth’s vital signs than any other Terra sensor. For instance, the sensor measures the percent of the planet’s surface that is covered by clouds almost every day. This wide spatial coverage enables MODIS, together with MISR and CERES, to help scientists determine the impact of clouds and aerosols on the Earth’s energy budget.

https://terra.nasa.gov/about/terra-instruments/modis
So it's because of the satellite, not the sun. Got it! Thanks Kassie!
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #3113 on: March 27, 2020, 08:56:38 PM »
So it's because of the satellite, not the sun.

Actually, since your link is to MODIS imagery it's a bit of both. Try looking again in a couple of days.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 28, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
Try looking again in a couple of days.
I just went through the previous years, and tomorrow should be the last day without a "black hole", but in 2017 it was already gone. So I guess they change the path of the satellite slightly depending on the light they get? Or maybe it's because 2020 is a leap year? It shifts a little every year?

Anyway... I thought it had to do with the sun. Now I understand it's a little of both as you say Jim. Thanks!

WTF happened?

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3115 on: March 29, 2020, 01:22:23 AM »
I have looked around but I cant find a specific answer to this.... so here goes.

Lately, I have seen several memes floating around saying the current sudden drop in extent is because of a reduced amount of dimming agents caused from virus induced economic collapse.

My initial thinking is this current drop in extent is unrelated to reduced dimming agents. It might have some influence, but to me, I find it more plausible that the melting is due to thin ice and region conditions... in effect, this melting event would have happen regardless of the virus event.

Also, I have a wait and see approach concerning giving a solid answer given no research could possibly have been done given it is in progress right now.... we have to wait for the answer.

Is my line of thinking correct?
Would this have happened anyway or is the reduction in dimming agents playing a significant part?

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #3116 on: March 29, 2020, 04:32:46 AM »
is the reduction in dimming agents playing a significant part?

Absolutely not. What we are seeing at the moment is not even a "melting event". Freezing has stalled but the drop in extent is mostly caused by wind-driven compaction of ice in the peripheral seas on the Pacific side (almost all in the Bering sea).

Other seas are mostly unchanged or "on time" for their annual reduction in extent. There is a drop in extent in the Barents but nothing unusual, and the Okhotsk (which, given it's latitude is probably the only sea experiencing any real melt-driven drop in extent) is only a week or so ahead of other high-extension years in that sea.

Having said that, it should not be unrealistic to expect that the drop in particulate pollution over the most densely habitated areas of the world will lead to som increases in global temperatures above what would otherwise have happened. Timing is also important, the drop in pollution in China happened quite early in the year and if they truly are over the worst of the epidemic, polluton levels will soon get back to normal, and China is undoubtedly the area most affected by particulate cooling in a normal year.

But the first effects of any drop in particulate pollution are going to be local. Trying to find any causal effect between drops in particulate pollution over China and slightly faster melt in the Okhotsk (for example) would be pretty near impossible, any effect being so tiny at this time that it is easily swamped by random changes in weather.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3117 on: March 29, 2020, 04:35:34 AM »
is the reduction in dimming agents playing a significant part?

Absolutely not.

Yep, that is my thinking as well and have said as much to counter the memes.... but I am being trolled now so my confidence dropped.
Good to know I got it right just from thinking it through myself.

Thanks

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3118 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:01 AM »
You got it right Rodius.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3119 on: March 29, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »
Why doesn't the media understand the difference in aerosol pollution and greenhouse gases? They keep spouting how covid-9 is helping the planet. Yeah, helping it get warmer quicker.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #3120 on: March 29, 2020, 08:42:05 AM »
Did 2012 have a strong positive AO like 2020 had this year ?

Winter 2011-12 was the fourth-warmest on record and spring 2012 had ENSO-neutral conditions, which are anticipated this year. Widespread warmer-than-average temperatures were recorded in the Lower 48 that spring. March 2012 was the warmest March on record and numerous records were broken east of the Rockies.

So what does all this mean for this year?

Spring 2020 Outlook
Computer models indicate above-average temperatures are likely for most of the Lower 48 from March through May.

The positive AO and the strong polar vortex will likely persist into March, which will limit the chances for prolonged cold in the contiguous U.S.

This forecast information, combined with past very warm winters being followed by warmer-than-average springs, suggest that a warm spring is likely ahead.

https://weather.com/news/weather/news/2020-02-28-warm-winter-2019-20-what-does-that-mean-spring-2020-temperature
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #3121 on: March 29, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
Why doesn't the media understand the difference in aerosol pollution and greenhouse gases? They keep spouting how covid-9 is helping the planet. Yeah, helping it get warmer quicker.
Because if they do that ff interests will jump on it to confuse the overall message.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #3122 on: March 29, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »
As far as this melting season goes, particulate drop is a second order forcing.
Maybe third order.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
Maybe third order.
Combine less particles with the effect of fewer contrails, and you've got a recipe for disaster IMHO. You can just feel the spring sun shining a lot harder right now here in Belgium. The sky is so clear. And the days are only getting longer...

The little winter snow there is in Eurasia, will melt quickly because of the hot sun. This will lower albedo, heating up Siberia, causing a lot of fires again that'll lower albedo of the ice.

I don't think anyone will know what this crisis will be doing to the planet, but one thing is for sure; We live in a brand new world right now. It's never gonna be the same again... And it's only just begun!

Stay safe!

Estimates of black carbon's globally averaged direct radiative forcing vary from the IPCC’s estimate of + 0.34 watts per square meter (W/m2) ± 0.25,[70] to a more recent estimate by V. Ramanathan and G. Carmichael of 0.9 W/m2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_carbon#Climate_impacts

WTF happened?

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: March 29, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
Maybe third order.
Combine less particles with the effect of fewer contrails, and you've got a recipe for disaster IMHO. You can just feel the spring sun shining a lot harder right now here in Belgium. The sky is so clear. And the days are only getting longer...

If the current lock-down conditions continue into summer (which seems to be the most likely scenario) then it will most definitely have an effect, and probably a significant effect. But next year we'll be back to the same old.

However, everybody is very much aware of the huge economic costs this is having. People will start to starve to death in less developed countries (such as the USA) unless the lockdown is lifted. I'll predict that within a couple of weeks, some drug coctail or another will be shown to keep covid-19 symtoms to a manageable level in thos most affected, leading to a rapid slackening of limits on movement.

Another realisation is that at least half the population show no symptoms whatsover, and another quarter hardly any at all. Given that the "official" numbers are understating the real spread by at least a factor of 10, New York probably already has between a half and one million cases, with a doubling every few days. Saturation by the end of the week?
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true

blumenkraft

« Reply #3125 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:23 PM »
The little winter snow there is in Eurasia, will melt quickly because of the hot sun. This will lower albedo, heating up Siberia, causing a lot of fires again that'll lower albedo of the ice.

How are the chances that due to less pollution the lightning activity goes down as well?

Fewer lightning strikes would result in fewer wildfires in Siberia, creating even less pollution/particles.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #3126 on: March 29, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
My understanding is aero are mostly clearing skies over land and not so much sea.
Am I wrong?

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: March 29, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »
Tom, if I understand you correctly, then I would agree that the effexts of particulate pollution are mostly localized and therefore mostly over land. Contrails are presumably also mostly found over land. And to take the thought further, increased insolation over land has a smaller warming effect than over water.

Blumenkraft, I would be surprised if changes in particulate pollution over industrial area would effect lightning strikes over the Siberian tundra - if there's an effet, it's probably very small.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: March 29, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »
Maybe third order.
If the current lock-down conditions continue into summer (which seems to be the most likely scenario) then it will most definitely have an effect, and probably a significant effect. But next year we'll be back to the same old.
I don't think we'll ever get back to "the same old". Every year we lose a little more volume, and this year we'll lose a lot more... A BOE will definitely change things forever...

Let's not do the SARS2 discussion here. Many people think that this crisis will end soon. Few know that this is only just the beginning. Nations will soon start to collapse, food production will become even more jeopardized, and selfishness will reign once more as nations fend for themselves...

And that's all without a BOE!  ???

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: March 29, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »

How are the chances that due to less pollution the lightning activity goes down as well?

Fewer lightning strikes would result in fewer wildfires in Siberia, creating even less pollution/particles.
Good point! But I think we'll have more than enough fires this year to lower the albedo of the ice. My point was that black carbon from fires will have a larger effect on the albedo of the ice than the black carbon from economic activities.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #3130 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »
Blumenkraft, I would be surprised if changes in particulate pollution over industrial area would effect lightning strikes over the Siberian tundra - if there's an effet, it's probably very small.

Thanks, Binntho. Have you taken into account that particles in the atmosphere are necessary to produce clouds in the first place? Am i right in thinking that with fewer clouds there would be fewer lightning strikes?

blumenkraft

« Reply #3131 on: March 29, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
Good point! But I think we'll have more than enough fires this year to lower the albedo of the ice. My point was that black carbon from fires will have a larger effect on the albedo of the ice than the black carbon from economic activities.

Yeah, the lower albedo would work the other way around, i can see that.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: March 29, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
I don't think we'll ever get back to "the same old". Every year we lose a little more volume, and this year we'll lose a lot more... A BOE will definitely change things forever...
So are you making an inane comment about the self-evidence of nothing ever staying the same? My "same old" was obviously referring to particulate pollution and contrails, which will be back to same levels as before when the current pandemic has run it's course.

And am I reading you correctly in saying that you are predicting "a lot more" loss of volume this year than normal?

Let's not do the SARS2 discussion here. Many people think that this crisis will end soon. Few know that this is only just the beginning. Nations will soon start to collapse, food production will become even more jeopardized, and selfishness will reign once more as nations fend for themselves...

covid-19 is relevant if people think it will have an effect on the comming melting season. But ridiculously apocalyptic doomsayings have no place in this forum.

[/quote]

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: March 29, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »
My "same old" was obviously referring to particulate pollution and contrails, which will be back to same levels as before when the current pandemic has run it's course.

And am I reading you correctly in saying that you are predicting "a lot more" loss of volume this year than normal?
I am. I think that an thinner ice pack will be much more mobile and thus will get broken up into a lot more little pieces that'll be much more susceptible to melt. All depends on the weather in the Arctic this year of course, but I really believe we'll be breaking records this year.

And I'm not so certain the global economy will just come back to life! It'll take many years to get back to where we were. That means less pollution, and less air traffic. And let us hope we go cleaner and greener... Maybe a BOE will wake up the world before COP 26?

WTF happened?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3134 on: April 04, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »
it seems all my 'friends' on facepuke are unconcerned @ COVID-19 unless to attack any policy aimed at protecting their family and friends . Much more important it seems is it's use by dark powers (somewhere) as deliberate cover to force 5G and mind control on humanity . It seems everyone has lost their minds already ..
  I haven't noticed a 5G thread .. is there one ? Is everyone controlled by a few russian bots ? ( no racism intended) Intelligent friends seem most susceptible to the threat of 5G and most ignorant of the threat of CV .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: April 04, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
What are all those big and small white "dots" you can see all over the place? Are those sinkholes that are more visible now because they're still filled with snow and ice while the surroundings are melting? If so, this is a good way to find them all.

https://go.nasa.gov/2xR1Uhe

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3137 on: April 04, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
B. C. I've also ran into people who insist on softly denying CV19 while sharing any and all other rather shady claims coming their way, including the 5G thing. I think (normally justified) mistrust of government is running rampant and is the underlying cause.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #3139 on: April 04, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »
Well, yeah. But isn't sinkholes a feature in thawing permafrost regions?

This isn't a permafrost region, or is it? Looks way south?

blumenkraft

« Reply #3140 on: April 04, 2020, 06:53:24 PM »
mistrust of government

Or is the underlying problem rather missing leadership of governments?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: April 04, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
Well, yeah. But isn't sinkholes a feature in thawing permafrost regions?

This isn't a permafrost region, or is it? Looks way south?
I was thinking the same thing, that they're very much to the south, but what else could they be? They're the perfect size to be sinkholes and perfectly round.

I remember seeing a documentary on sinkholes a few years ago, and I remember them saying that they were hard to find. Maybe this is an easy way to find and count them?

Edit: The permafrost goes pretty far south.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:21:23 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: April 04, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »
mistrust of government

Or is the underlying problem rather missing leadership of governments?
The world is a crazy place, and to make sence of it all, people start making up their own view of the world. It's a little like cloud watching. Or God...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:09:32 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: April 04, 2020, 07:36:53 PM »
This town is being destroyed by sinkholes it seems.  :o

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #3144 on: April 04, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »
Could be also introduced due to mining industry?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: April 04, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
Could be also introduced due to mining industry?
Thought about that as well, but when you go around with that link you gave me, you can clearly see a lot of circles in that area. Some filled with ice and snow, others without. And I think you can see which ones are new by the brown circle around them. The way I understand it, these sinkholes are created by explosions of methane gas, and so that brown circle is dirt it seems that's been ejected from the hole.

WTF happened?

johnm33

« Reply #3146 on: April 05, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
Freegrass, you'll find thousands of these all over areas where the permafrost exists/has long since melted, the more you zoom in the more there are. I think like you that these are due to methane bubbles growing in the permafrost, some exploded some collapsed.
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?lat=59.939&lng=65.402&zoom=7&time=2020-04-04&preset=1_TRUE_COLOR&datasource=Sentinel-2%20L1C

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: April 05, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
That's a scary landscape you found there...  :o

I did some more research yesterday, and like Blum said, some of the spots I found may be mines, but not all!

I found this article, and I'm surprised how far north they are found.

Bulging bumps in the Yamal and Gydan peninsulas believed to be caused by thawing permafrost releasing methane.

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/n0905-7000-underground-gas-bubbles-poised-to-explode-in-arctic/

WTF happened?

johnm33

« Reply #3148 on: April 14, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
'scary landscape' some of the holes appear to come from implosions, so perhaps hydrogen escaping and mixing with air then some[?] ignition and the volume collapses.
now the question
Quote from https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2876.msg259786.html#msg259786

Can't sublimate without the heat

Without the addition of energy (heat) to the process, ice would not sublimate into vapor. That is where sunlight plays a large role in the natural world. Water has a physical property called the "heat of vaporization," which is the amount of heat required to vaporize water. If you want an exact amount of heat, the heat of vaporization of water is 540 calories/gram, or 2,260 kilojoules/kilogram. That is a lot more energy than is needed to convert water to ice (the latent heat of fusion), which is 80 calories/gram. And, it is also about five times the energy needed for heating water from the freezing point to the boiling point. In summary, energy is needed for the sublimation of ice to vapor to occur, and most of the energy is needed in the vaporization phase. A cubic centimeter (1 gram) of water in ice form requires 80 calories to melt, 100 calories to rise to boiling point, and another 540 calories to vaporize, a total of 720 calories. Sublimation requires the same energy input, but bypasses the liquid phase.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/sublimation-and-water-cycle?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects
    I have to assume that some random effect perhaps due to diffusion physics 'borrows' the energy from it's surroundings and thus as sublimation occurs those surroundings supercool, thus where we have extremely dry air that actually drives cooling, why am i wrong?

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: April 15, 2020, 04:40:08 AM »
I don't think you're wrong. Sublimation requires energy, and if water evaporates (or ice sublimates) into dry air, this leads to a drop in localized temperature.

The Arabs were famous for having flowing water and even small fountains next to their pavilions and maqhaas, as a low-technology air conditioner, utilizing the cooling effect of evaporation.

Same will happen with ice even in cold circumstances - if the air is very dry then some ice will sublimate and the air gets even colder. But of course, warm dry air is a true ice killer (e.g. foehn winds or the Chinook, the adiabatic effect often causing surprisingly hot air to stream over ice and snow), and dry and sunny weather also sees ice and snow disappear very quickly.