Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Qué se ficieron ?  (Read 32875 times)

KiwiGriff

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 428
  • Likes Given: 154
Re: Qué se ficieron ?
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2020, 09:10:54 AM »
First was Hillel the Elder circa 0010ce highest authority of the  Pharisees at that time . :o
https://www.azquotes.com/author/25893-Hillel_the_Elder
2nd was Jesus  circa 0030ce Matthew 7:12  (New International Version)
https://biblehub.com/matthew/7-12.htm

Any way we really should not be polluting this thread with chatter.
It is for marking and remembrance of the horror men do to men .

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 796
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2020, 06:23:34 AM »
Kafka continues:

" he consulted a lawyer at the agency’s Counterterrorism Center about how to make the threat without violating the Torture Convention.

He said he was advised to make the threat conditional.

So, before telling Mr. Mohammed “I will cut your son’s throat,” Dr. Mitchell said, he added a series of caveats. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/us/politics/khalid-shaikh-mohammed-threat-torture.html

I hope I never see any of these guys within my reach.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2020, 06:30:55 AM »
Pierce at Esquire: Mitchell and Jessen are without conscience

"Mitchell is our own monster, as is his running buddy, John Bruce Jessen. The two of them were allowed to be monsters by the American government of the time. The two of them were paid handsomely to be monsters by the American government of the time. The two of them were paid handsomely to create monsters out of other people, and they did that job remarkably well. "

"  One of them died in custody. Dr. Mitchell said at the time that it was “regrettable that one guy died and those other guys were treated badly.” But he said he and Dr. Jessen “were not responsible for it.” "

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a30691635/james-mitchell-cia-torture-program-testimony-guantanamo-bay/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
^^
The repetition of the phrase "American government of the time" leads me to ask what differentiates the American government of that time from subsequent American governments that have continuously sheltered and protected these monsters?

America's closest allies are certainly aiding, abetting and sanctioning these monstrous institutional crimes if only by their silence.

Before Canada, or the UK, delivers anyone into the gaping maw of American 'Justice', an open discussion needs to be had regarding the isolation, torture, maiming and murder of suspects and convicts while in American hands. Canadian and UK judges need to be held responsible for their actions. The governments that these judges serve will eventually face the voters.

Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 304
  • Likes Given: 20397
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2020, 06:12:41 AM »
^^
The voters will never hold them responsible in my estimate.

For that to happen, a critical investigative open and free media is required. People don't know and have been brainwashed with 'american' propaganda for decades. Most news channels are guilty of censorship and give a lopsided world view.

We in the E.U. tolerate Guantanamo Bay but our E.U. leaders have to mention human rights when visiting e.g. China.
It is a shame that we in the E.U. are on 'their side', subservant to the U.S.A.: The axis of evil (they started this modern episode with Little Boy and McCarthy I think).
People have already forgotten about the very shocking wikileaks and NSA revelations a couple of years ago.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2020, 08:17:16 AM »
^^
Unfortunately I agree.
Terry

philopek

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »
^^
The voters will never hold them responsible in my estimate.

For that to happen, a critical investigative open and free media is required. People don't know and have been brainwashed with 'american' propaganda for decades. Most news channels are guilty of censorship and give a lopsided world view.

We in the E.U. tolerate Guantanamo Bay but our E.U. leaders have to mention human rights when visiting e.g. China.
It is a shame that we in the E.U. are on 'their side', subservant to the U.S.A.: The axis of evil (they started this modern episode with Little Boy and McCarthy I think).
People have already forgotten about the very shocking wikileaks and NSA revelations a couple of years ago.

+1 can't be put better than this plus the lot more that would be to tell that would fill book-shelves ;)

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2020, 04:27:26 PM »
Thank you for your words.

Quote from: philopek
"+1"
Where's my +1? ;)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

philopek

« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2020, 08:23:56 PM »
Thank you for your words.

Quote from: philopek
"+1"
Where's my +1? ;)

sorry if I'm missing the point, the +1 was in reply to your post, the one i quoted. help me out, sometimes i lose track and sometimes others do  ;)

however, it was your post that goes along with my exact way of thinking on the matter.

;)

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2020, 07:04:04 AM »
Thanks philopek. I thought that '+1' means 'a like given' and I didn't see that in the totals beneath my profile photo. Perhaps I've missed it. It's not important at all.
Have a great day my friend.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2020, 08:18:33 AM »
Clahchischiligi at the guardian: Age, hunger, disease and death in the First Nations

"a grandmother in her 70s, lives with her young granddaughter "

"Her grandmother sat slumped over the edge of a stained mattress. ... The girl had survived cancer and had lost her mother, while not yet 10 years old"

"On this hot summer day, the two were alone ...  no running water or indoor plumbing"

"the only reliable food she and her granddaughter can get – comes from the local senior center, which delivers a lunch they share Mondays through Fridays. On weekends, they fend for themselves."

"I’ve been a journalist for almost 20 years, and it was the first time I cried on assignment."

"a man in his 60s, lives in a dirt-floored shack with no running water, toilet, sink, kitchen – or electricity. "

"70, gets her water from a faucet outside her house. She has no indoor toilet ... she has no vehicle."

"The elders complained very little. It was as if they had accepted this way of life – living in desperate conditions, largely ignored by their community and political leaders. They were used to not being taken care of."

"the few people in the community who advocated for them faced retribution, I was told. If people talked to the media, they feared they would lose their jobs."

"none of the elders I spoke to had received a food donation. They lived too far away. They had no one to pick up the boxes for them."

"Some elders weren’t even aware the free food deliveries were happening. They had no phone, television or computer. Their contact with the outside world came from Navajo radio stations such as KTNN. Some had no contact at all."

"I’ve wondered whether they have enough to eat and whether anyone’s checked in on them. I’ve wondered if anyone else is wondering about them."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/06/navajo-nation-reservation-elderly-people-covid-19

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2020, 06:08:28 AM »
Neidig at the hill: a prison outside the law

"denied al Hela's habeas corpus petition challenging his detention at the facility."

"the most categorical denial of legal rights for Guantanamo detainees in nearly two decades"

"The Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that detainees could challenge their imprisonment by filing habeas corpus petitions in federal court."

"But Rao wrote in her opinion Friday that the Supreme Court decision said nothing about the claims that detainees could raise in such petitions."

"Al Hela was a businessman in Yemen who disappeared on a business trip to Egypt in 2002 and later rendered to U.S. custody. He says he was tortured at secret U.S. prisons before being sent to Guantanamo Bay in 2004."

"The U.S. government says that al Hela was associated with known and suspected al Qaeda affiliate organizations."

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/514170-appeals-court-rules-due-process-rights-dont-apply-to-guantanamo

Exceptionalism writ large.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »
Nohara at bloomberg: a lost generation

"Japan’s 2015 census revealed there were 3.4 million people in their 40s and 50s who had not married and lived with their parents."

"Japan has an estimated 613,000 middle-aged hikikomori, a term usually used to describe socially withdrawn adolescents who hole up in their bedrooms"

"many were so deeply ashamed about their failure to become successful adults in the mold of their parents that our conversations were awkward and painful."

"“I thought even if I tried, it would be in vain."

"He holed up in his parents’ house. Days became weeks became months became years. "

“In my mind, I knew I was going nowhere and I’d better quit,”

“Many parents are truly devastated with their children being withdrawn for a long time ... “We have to connect with them”

“This is the generation that was forced to swim in the murky water.”

"A 33-year-old man then says he’s been homebound for several years since dropping out of graduate school. A 46-year-old woman living with her mother says she’s too weak to work after being a shut-in for years. A 44-year-old man with a college degree wonders how long he can stand doing menial work, such as distributing flyers."

"A man in his late 70s talks about his son, who since failing a college entrance exam two decades ago spends his days in his room ... “Do you talk with him about what he wants to do in the future?”  ... they had once, but not any longer. When Kono asks if the young man has any friends, the older man answers, “None.” "

" his father used to hassle him about getting a job, but the two of them no longer talk about the future. He told me he’s more conscious that his parents are nearing the end of their lives: His father no longer drives, and his mother’s spine is bent with age. "

"To cut costs and protect older workers, businesses resorted to temporary contracts, which offer less pay and skimpier benefits. Those jobs are the first to be cut during a downturn but also the first to be added back during a recovery. A new underclass of nonregular workers was created, which today makes up about 40% of Japan’s labor force. Women represented 68% of this contingent in 2019"

"One 47-year-old man confided that he’d spent 17 years holed up in his room at his parents’ place after graduating from college. Another, 39, told me he spent years moving from job to job and now lives in a homeless shelter."

"After graduating from high school, he became a recluse. Sometimes he would venture into downtown Shibuya at night to people-watch. “There was power in Shibuya with so many young people,” he says. “That gave me comfort.”"

“I didn’t want to deal with people ... I didn’t talk with anybody other than my family. I didn’t want to think about my circumstances. I lived one day at a time.”

"In between jobs, the son holed up in his room. His frustrated father lashed out at him: “Move out! Work! Don’t be lazy!” ...  “I treated him terribly,” Kinjo says remorsefully. “Had I noticed earlier, maybe he wouldn’t have suffered.”               "

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-japan-lost-generation/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2020, 05:22:41 AM »
Back to the future: Lawrence and Wells at stars and stripes

“When we started this, people asked why I was going, and my response was, ‘So my sons don’t have to fight this war,’”

"two decades later, deBoer’s son, Spc. Payton Sluss, also served in Afghanistan"

"While deBoer watched films with Afghan troops, Sluss watched their body language, his weapon at the ready, to ensure that they did not turn on the Americans who were training them and kill them."

"Michael Kreuger fought in the Pech Valley in 2010 and sometimes asked himself why he did. Eight years later, his son Trenton deployed to Afghanistan "

"The elder Kreuger, who left the Army as a sergeant, now hopes his grandson won’t also deploy to Afghanistan"

"Bajun Mavalwalla, 31, a former sergeant, and his namesake father also both deployed to Afghanistan."

"The elder Mavalwalla, 55, a former captain, said the country has made great strides "

"his son, who was barely a teenager when his father first went to Afghanistan, said he was disillusioned ... “I wanted to go out and help people, serve my country … (but) I just sort of contributed to this deepening mire,” "

https://www.stripes.com/news/years-after-they-fought-in-afghanistan-us-troops-watch-as-their-children-deploy-to-the-same-war-1.647659

As usual, predicted by America's Finest News Source:

https://local.theonion.com/soldier-excited-to-take-over-father-s-old-afghanistan-p-1819580201

sidd