Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cause and Effect  (Read 2846 times)

JKDMaineUSA

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 6
Cause and Effect
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »
I have been a member of this forum since its inception. In the beginning, it was an intellectual, scientific discussion of ideas about the nature, the present condition of the Arctic sea ice. Users would analyze data, in all its forms, then present ideas based on what they were seeing. We would look for the "cause and effect" of what was happening. We would use past data to help to determine what the future might bring for the condition of the sea ice. It was just as useful when things didn't turn out the way we expected but we kept looking for that "cause and effect". Theories were presented not so much to be proven right or wrong but to add to our understanding why.
     We, I, expected ideas to be molded and adapted by the input of others on the subject. I never considered the discussion to be a case of being "right or wrong," just is it happening the way we anticipated it would or didn't. But whatever was occurring, we wanted to understand the nature of the "cause and effect" concerning the events unfolding. There is no need for "I told you so" as this is the not the nature of this forum. Some use the data to project what the future condition of the sea ice might bring but it is not intended, as I see it, to be a prophecy of the exact nature of what is to come, even if we have a pretty good idea already what the end result is going to be for the future arctic.
  Users posted only when they had something meaningful to add to the discussion. I rarely do , I am more of a student here, observing, learning from others way more knowledgeable than me on the topic. I wish there was an ignore button so I could block out users that just add noise to what I am trying read and understand. There are only a handful of users I follow and most are from the early days. I could say more but I won't, there is enough noise already.. Neven feel free to lock this thread.   

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: Cause and Effect
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
JDK, there is a way to ignore users (but I forgot how). If you view your Profile, there's an option for "Buddies/Ignore List" under Modify Profile.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 773
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
Life is messy. We all have our burdens and as the gravity of the situation unfolds over the next several years panic and it's unpleasant effects on people will become more common. Pick your sages carefully and show some patience with how people react to the coming disorder.
 Life is still beautiful and some people will shoulder the weight of our collective situation better than others.
 The forum has been a wonderful place to gain knowledge and I am sure it will continue to be a great place . Thanks Neven and I hope tomorrow is easier on you.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
Well said JKD and Bruce. I think starting this thread was a good idea.

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »
I've been on forums where being correct was what it was all about.  I've been on forums where figuring out how to do stuff was where it was at.  The latter is better than the former.

Milret2

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 09:01:52 PM »
I would just like to say that, since I discovered Neven's Arctic Sea Ice blog and then he placed this one up, I have always felt that both were wonderful places to come as a non scientist ( I was trained and practiced as a physician's assistant but was never deeply invested in other science disciplines) to both learn about climatological changes and to find worthwhile information to exchange with friends and colleagues.

The great majority of the time discussions here seem to me to be friendly and knowledge based with little sniping or self aggrandizement and presented in a way that helps me learn at my own pace as well as often being entertaining. I am another lurker who has some feel for how non scientists can be misled (and even scientists;-) and I know that, in climatology, being wrong in how to see/use such a blog has risks at both an individual level and the public level but I cheerfully accept that and would not desire to screen my own reading of the blog or have others do that for me.

I very much concur with Bruce's analysis here.