Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What Would a Donald Trump Presidency Mean to Combating AGW/CC  (Read 106648 times)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: What Would a Donald Trump Presidency Mean to Combating AGW/CC
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
One of the largest newspapers in Ohio, the Cincinnati Enquirer has endorsed Hillary Clinton. This is the first time in nearly a century that this paper has endorsed a Democratic candidate for president.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/politics/cincinnati-enquirer-hillary-clinton-endorsement/index.html

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
Bill Kristol, editor of the conservative "Weekly Standard" had some pretty insightful things to say about Donald Trump in an interview yesterday on MSNBC.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/09/23/bill_kristol_donald_trump_knows_deep_in_his_heart_that_he_should_never_be_president.html

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
Young conservatives are increasingly looking to alternative energy vs fossil fuels.  In a state like Florida....that could make a big difference.  Florida will be CLOSE no matter who wins the state...

https://climatecrocks.com/2016/09/24/could-trump-tip-cons-to-clean-energy/

It is obvious to the younger conservatives.....that dealing with global warming EARLIER is BETTER and less expensive than continuing to put it off.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
This ad by Tom Steyer.....a wealthy Hillary supporter......goes directly at Gary Johnson.  Johnson is pulling more votes away from Clinton than from Trump.  In an election as close as this looks to be....every vote counts:

https://climatecrocks.com/2016/09/24/tom-steyer-runs-with-gary-johnsons-sun-will-swallow-us-climate-gaffe/

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
While Hillary is not perfect, if you care about the impacts of climate change, it is vital that she be elected POTUS (see the linked article comparing her climate positions to the Donald's):

http://www.businessinsider.com/clinton-trump-environment-policies-plans-climate-change-platforms-2016-9?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider%2Fpolitics+%28Business+Insider+-+Politix%29

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2016, 12:32:12 AM »
While Hillary is not perfect, if you care about the impacts of climate change, it is vital that she be elected POTUS (see the linked article comparing her climate positions to the Donald's):

And climate change effects (1) national security (2) agriculture (3) international defense (4) and the worlds economies.   Other than that....it's not a big deal ;)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/first-presidential-debate-trump-clinton_us_57e53a55e4b0e28b2b536a08?dwnk0v9v01wyst6gvi

And for those of you who CONTINUE to underestimate the possibility of a Trump presidency...I'm afraid reality may really bite.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:14 PM »
And for those of you who CONTINUE to underestimate the possibility of a Trump presidency...I'm afraid reality may really bite.
I totally agree. Hid odds are >50% IMHO, and Brexit showed us the ugly social currents bubbling under the surface.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »
I totally agree. Hid odds are >50% IMHO, and Brexit showed us the ugly social currents bubbling under the surface.

I agree as well, and on that note here's more insight into why Clinton isn't running away with this election. She clearly has the experience for the job and she's a far better choice than Trump, but the trust issue is keeping this race close.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/young-voters-to-clinton-we-can%E2%80%99t-stand-you/ar-BBwCLvG?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »

It is really a "black mark" on the US electorate.....as well as a black mark on US politicians of BOTH SIDES.  How someone SOOOOOO unprepared......so egotistical....so dishonest....and so incapable....could have even the CHANCE of getting elected.

It goes to a much bigger broader issue....at least here in the US.....regarding advertising/promotion/selling.  No matter if you are promoting/advertising a PRODUCT or a CANDIDATE.....or POLICY.....if you say it enough times, a lot of people will believe it.

Humanity is really in a "bad spot" when it doesn't LOOK FOR THE TRUTH.  It seems so basic to me.  I have witnessed businessmen in high positions within companies that continue to make "mistakes" (bad business decisions) because they continue to look for what THEY WANT THE TRUTH TO BE......rather than looking for THEE TRUTH (facts).  Even when placing facts in front of their faces (LITERALLY)....they refuse to believe them.  In my "observations" over the years......I have learned that it is their EGO that lets them down (such as an inability to admit when they are wrong....and think that they are always right).

And most humans seem to be SOOOO BIASSED.  The idea of making GOOD DECISIONS means you should try to REMOVE BIAS when you make a decision (which is why I have ALWAYS been an Independent voter).

If Trump wins....there will be two groups rejoicing in the US:  (1) comedians....can you imagine the material they will get..., and (2) movie makers......as I type, I'm sure someone is already writing a script for "The Big Con".....how a pathological liar duped the American people.

The group that will NOT be happy at all.....are scientists.  And I expect they will be in a VERY UNUSUAL position.  They are not used to "championing" their positions....and they admittedly have done a poor job in communicating with people (at least here in the US).  But now....they may be put in the unenviable position that they will LITERALLY have to take their message TO THE STREETS.  Dr. Hansen has already done so.....but others will follow if Trump is elected...and he makes the large mistakes that I expect him to make (with his oil friends stuffing money in his pockets).

Let's HOPE.....that the US voters don't make the YUUUGGGGGEEEEE mistake of voting in a pathological liar like Trump.  And those of you in the US.....best be talking to your friends/co-workers/etc to try and prevent that from happening.

Debate number one is tonight.....and remember that the person most likely to beat Donald Trump, is Donald Trump...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
And for those of you thinking about voting for a third party candidate......think again:

https://climatecrocks.com/2016/09/26/uber-climate-denier-to-head-trump-transition-for-epa/

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Buddy, the way that the US electoral system works means that the election is generally determined by just a few states, even just a few counties. If you are in a state that is safely going for Clinton, you can vote Green knowing pretty safely that it will not have the effect of electing Trump. Meanwhile, such a vote will send a message that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the Dems, and in some state, enough of such votes can give Greens official status.

I think we have to be able to think both long term and strategically, imho. There is not a one-size-fits-all necessary approach to this train wreck of an election.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2016, 04:36:39 PM »
Buddy, the way that the US electoral system works means that the election is generally determined by just a few states, even just a few counties. If you are in a state that is safely going for Clinton, you can vote Green knowing pretty safely that it will not have the effect of electing Trump. Meanwhile, such a vote will send a message that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the Dems, and in some state, enough of such votes can give Greens official status.

I will remind you of 2000......when Bush won the electoral vote by winning Florida.  Florida was decided by a few HUNDRED VOTES.

There are SEVERAL battleground states that are important for Clinton to win that are now CLOSE IN THE POLLS:

Virginia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, New Hampshire, Maine, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa....

And a reminder....that those in 2000 that voted for Ralph Nader....the third party candidate.....gave the election to George Bush.  Without those votes.....Bush would have lost.  NOBODY knew the day of the election....that it would come down to Florida.  Just like today....NOBODY KNOWS which state (or states) it will come down to.

Sorry to "rain on your parade"......the stakes are HUGE.  So if anyone is in one of the above listed states.........and wants BETTER POLICY......then you better think twice about voting for a third party candidate.  Your "message" may be a ticket to the white house for the most unprepared and dangerous candidates in HISTORY....one Donald Trump.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:24:10 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »
Think about this:

Without the 97,421 votes for Ralph Nader in Florida during the 2000 presidential race between Bush and Gore......Gore would have won.  Instead....Gore lost by 537 votes.

Now....fast forward to this year.  Will it be Florida.....Ohio....Wisconsin....New Hampshire...Georgia....Arizona.....Colorado....Iowa....etc.

NOBODY KNOWS.....and we won't know, until AFTER the election.

Without those third party votes in Florida for Ralph Nader.....we likely would NOT be embroiled in the LONGEST WAR IN HISTORY.  Those 3rd party votes in 2000 for Nader.....who may have wanted to "send a message".....instead were the likely keystone to invading Iraq.  You think that those folks would like to change their votes NOW?

Think twice......before you jump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Nader_presidential_campaign,_2000
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:02:38 PM by Buddy »

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
I will remind you of 2000......when Bush won the electoral vote by winning Florida.  Florida was decided by a few HUNDRED VOTES.
Except that Gore actually won Florida. 
If he had managed to win his home state of Tennessee, than it would be quite a different story.  You can't pin it on Nader.

http://andrys.com/flballot.html  Butterfly ballot
http://www.salon.com/2015/12/19/george_w_bush_vs_al_gore_15_years_later_we_really_did_inaugurate_the_wrong_guy/
As already indicated, Palm Beach County’s infamous “butterfly ballot” alone sufficed to frustrate the aggregate preference of the participating and eligible electorate. Bush’s certified margin of victory ended up only 537 votes. But in Palm Beach County, Pat Buchanan received some 3,400 votes, over two thousand more than anywhere else in the state.
FNORD

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »
Except that Gore actually won Florida.

I guess you will have to go back and change the history books.....and also tell President Gore that he won Florida as well.  He is not aware of that.... ;)

If he had managed to win his home state of Tennessee, than it would be quite a different story.  You can't pin it on Nader.

Just like a football game.....there is NEVER any ONE play that you can "blame it on".  Usually there are a few miscues you can blame it on.  Losing his home state of Tennessee is certainly another.

I'm NOT blaming Ralph Nader.....I'm blaming THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR RALPH NADER THINKING THEY WERE SENDING A MESSAGE.

If you think that sending a message is more important than having someone in the White House who thinks that climate change is a hoax.......and someone who has appointed someone from a lobbying group to head his "EPA Transition Team".......then you should certainly go ahead and vote for your third party candidate.  You have to live with that vote.....not me.  My conscience is clear.  And I DON'T like Clinton.  But she is MILES AND MILES ahead of Trump.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.

It was NOT Ralph Nader that sent thousands of our soldiers to fight a filthy war.  It was George Bush.  And the BIGGEST reason it was George Bush......was because some people (more than 97,000 of them in Florida) thought that "sending a message" was the most important thing to them.  I would bet that many of those 97,000 would like to take back that vote.

I think the phrase in woodworking is appropriate here:  "Measure twice.....cut once."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
One step further:  Let's go back to the scenario that played out in the year 2000.  In that year....we didn't KNOW that we would later attack Iraq.  We really had NO IDEA.  It just "turned out that way."

Now....fast forward to today.  WE KNOW WHAT TRUMP'S POLICY ON GLOBAL WARMING ARE.  In 2000.....if Bush would have said...."we are going to invade Iraq and thousands of American troops are going to die".....would the people who voted for Ralph Nader, STILL vote for Nader KNOWING that it would DEFINITELY mean the death of those soldiers?  I think NOT.

Today....we KNOW that a Trump presidency will try to GUT the EPA.  They will push oil and gas as far as they can.....and burn as much of it as they can.  WE KNOW THAT NOW.  We KNOW that he thinks climate change is a hoax....a Chinese conspiracy....and that almost every climate scientist on earth is lying.  WE KNOW THAT.

The case for "sending a message" is indeed a weak one....in fact a MUCH WEAKER ONE NOW THAN IN 2000.  You KNOW that the consequences of your vote....if Trump wins....could be AWFUL.

"Measure twice......cut once."

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »
I'm NOT blaming Ralph Nader.....I'm blaming THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR RALPH NADER THINKING THEY WERE SENDING A MESSAGE.
Florida was stolen, plain and simple.  I blame the people that voted for Gore, but selected Buchanan.  I will not be surprised if the election comes down to recounts again, and have adjusted our retirement accounts to prepare for the outfall.
FNORD

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »

I will not be surprised if the election comes down to recounts again, and have adjusted our retirement accounts to prepare for the outfall.

Interesting thing about oil and gas stocks.....is that they are TOAST EITHER WAY.  The "Genie" is too far out of the bottle.  Right now.....you have electric cars just "nibbling" at the amount of supply needed.  As years go by.....and I'm talking about NEAR TERM....over the next 3 - 5 years....that nibble becomes bigger and bigger....and WALL STREET KNOWS IT ALREADY.

For the markets OVERALL....that is VERY GOOD NEWS (electricity costs and transportation costs will continue to drop).  Even in a Trump presidency (God forbid).....oil companies are toast.  Long term....a few of the oil companies will survive because there are other things oil is used for, other than to burn.

The bad thing is.....if Trump is elected....it will slow down the transformation that is already taking place.....and it will put the US at a FURTHER DISADVANTAGE compared to other countries (like Germany that is moving away from fossil fuels faster than Donald Trump can lie.....OK, maybe not that fast....but fast) ;)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
It goes to a much bigger broader issue....at least here in the US.....regarding advertising/promotion/selling.  No matter if you are promoting/advertising a PRODUCT or a CANDIDATE.....or POLICY.....if you say it enough times, a lot of people will believe it.

Humanity is really in a "bad spot" when it doesn't LOOK FOR THE TRUTH.
Actually, the "age of information" is drowning people with too much information, while their available time is less and less. In such an environment, sowing disinformation and misinformation provides great rewards. Most people can't handle it and they either believe nothing or believe something at random out of the whole information stream. Only someone who digs below the shallow headlines can make any sense of what the real truth is, and even then only at great investment of time.
Given also that most people's scientific and logic education seems to be very lacking, humanity can't seem to be able to find the truth even if it does look for it.
And since Trump is a headline-only person, he resonates well with the crowd.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
Buddy, I agree that the stakes are high. But please try to avoid trotting out old, debunked propaganda.

Many many more Democrats voted for Bush in Florida than Greens did for Nader. Each of their votes, that Dems can (unlike with Greens) legitimately 'belonged' to Gore counted twice as much as most Nader voters, who would not necessarily have voted for either.

So why aren't Democrats fretting more about why people from their own party turned coats on them rather than why people from an opposing party didn't support them?

The very idea that people from a party that opposes yours have a responsibility to be sure that your candidate get elected is...really just to bizarre to even start to try to debate. If you don't see the utter absurdity of such a position, there's really not much more I can say.

I will also, though, point out that the margin was so thin (and still debated) that if any other interest group had voted even slightly differently, it also would have thrown the race the other way: If Blacks had voted 100% for Gore rather than 99.5% (or whatever it was), that would have thrown the election to Gore, but for some reason, the Dems have not spent the last nearly two decades beating up on Blacks for giving the election to Gore. Why is that?

The same can be said for other traditional constituencies of the Democratic party--larger majorities of gays, Jews, women, Latinos... and especially labor, had they voted just a bit more for Gore than they did in Florida would have swung the vote.

Yet Dems choose to only cherry pick one group, Greens, people from a different political party from them, as the ones somehow responsible for their loss.

The absurdity and small mindedness of such a bizarre position frankly beggars belief.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
Yet Dems choose to only cherry pick one group, Greens, people from a different political party from them, as the ones somehow responsible for their loss.

I guess you will need to talk to the Democrats about that.  I'm an Independent....and have ALWAYS been an Independent.  Once again....sorry to rain on your parade.

And again....if it makes YOU feel better...you should vote for whatever third party you like......if "sending a message" makes you fell better.  I'm sure it must be more important than fighting global warming.

The absurdity and small mindedness of such a bizarre position frankly beggars belief./quote]

That is likely only because you are intelligent and "broad minded"....and I clearly am not :'(.  I bow down to your incredible intelligence (and that of Donald Trump as well) ;)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »
Looks like Rudi is trying to keep Donald's options open for the next debate or two:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/giuliani-trump-debates-228756

I think if Trump would have done WORSE last night, like REALLY BOMBED....then he might have taken Rudi's advice (at least for the next debate).  But Trump didn't vomit on himself....so I think he is more likely than not to show up for debate #2.  And I would expect him to do better.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
I think if Trump would have done WORSE last night, like REALLY BOMBED....then he might have taken Rudi's advice (at least for the next debate).  But Trump didn't vomit on himself....so I think he is more likely than not to show up for debate #2.  And I would expect him to do better.

He didn't vomit on himself but he sniffled a lot, which he blamed on his microphone.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/27/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-debate-reaction/index.html

Trump has second thoughts today about debate moderator, Lester Holt.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
http://www.aol.com/article/2016/09/27/trump-vows-to-hit-clinton-harder-in-next-u-s-presidential-debat/21480388/

Trump vows to hit Clinton harder in next debate. The article includes a poll showing over 60% think Clinton won the debate.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
Trump vows to hit Clinton harder in next debate. The article includes a poll showing over 60% think Clinton won the debate.

Debate number 2 is going to get REAL UGLY.  Good thing there are two moderators.  Anderson Cooper is going to have his hands full (fortunately.....he has bigger hands than Trump:).

BTW....here is a link for Donald's psychological makeup.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/trump-and-sociopathy/491966/

Read that SLOWLY.  Donald to a T.

Csnavywx

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »
Unfortunately, at this junction, all Donald had to do is prove that he isn't crazy and not flip his lid. He maintained his composure and hit the Rust-Belt points (which is where he, if he wins, will likely tip the balance). He did that. We'll know if it convinced people in a few days if the polls start moving in those key states of OH, PA, MI and WI. He's close to flipping PA and MI, which would be an electoral disaster for Hillary.

Hills still has a decent chance of winning, but it's all a LOT closer than any pundit or most logical people thought it would be just a few months ago.

Pmt111500

« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2016, 04:14:19 AM »
I'd drop all hopes of stopping the sea level rise to +5 meters. (to answer the topic question)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 29, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »
I'd drop all hopes of stopping the sea level rise to +5 meters. (to answer the topic question)

Very likely PMT, but in a Trump world all he has to do is say it isn't happening, and to him and his ilk, it isn't. Unless of course they live near the coast.

Pmt111500

« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2016, 11:11:55 AM »

Very likely PMT, but in a Trump world all he has to do is say it isn't happening, and to him and his ilk, it isn't. Unless of course they live near the coarst.

Yeah, I tried to be as positive as I could on this.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
Better news for Clinton...."post debate".  Back into the "60's" vs the "50's":

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Likely has a few more days before Nate's model FULLY "catches up" with all the "post debate" polls.  Will be interesting to see what Nate's model says this Saturday or Sunday.

Next presidential debate will be important for Clinton.....because the third debate will be a "homer" (not the baseball homer......but the "home town" homer because the last debate is on FOX....so Chris Wallace will make SURE that the tables are tilted towards Trump).

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »
Nevada, Florida, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina moved up significantly over the last day as some of the early "post debate" polls start to trickle in.

Solidifying PA is huge of course....but also strengthening Nevada, Florida, and North Carolina are important.  Those 3 states are NOT "must have states" for Clinton....but it "spreads the field" for Clinton, and makes Trump spread his $$$ and time into those states. Trump HAS TO HAVE North Carolina and Florida.....Clinton doesn't.  If Clinton gets Nevada....then she could lose New Hampshire and still win.

It's definitely a chess game....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 29, 2016, 04:21:55 PM »
And in some news that is ALMOST as important as the debates......here is news from Bloomberg News on the US weekly jobless claims (reported each Thursday morning in the US):
============================================================

The number of applications to collect jobless benefits rose less than forecast last week, indicating employers are leery of dismissing workers as the labor market tightens.

Jobless claims rose by 3,000 to 254,000 in the week ended Sept. 24 from a five-month low in the previous period, a Labor Department report showed Thursday. The median forecast in a Bloomberg survey called for 260,000. The number of Americans already on benefit rolls declined to the lowest level since 2000.

Dismissals have been hovering just above the lowest level since the 1970s as employers compete for experienced workers amid a record number of job openings. The data are consistent with the Federal Reserve’s view that the job market “has continued to strengthen” and employment gains have been “solid.”

Estimates in the Bloomberg survey ranged from 250,000 to 275,000. The Labor Department revised the prior week’s reading to 251,000 from an initially reported 252,000. In April, claims dropped to 248,000, the fewest since 1973.

Applications filed with state employment agencies have been below 300,000 for 82 straight weeks -- the longest streak since 1970 and a level economists say is typical for a vibrant labor market.

No states’ claims were estimated last week and there was nothing unusual in the data, according to the Labor Department.

The less-volatile four-week average of claims dropped to 256,000, the lowest since April, from 258,250 in the prior week.

The number of people continuing to receive jobless benefits declined by 46,000 to 2.06 million in the week ended Sept. 17, the fewest since July 2000. The unemployment rate among people eligible for benefits held at 1.5 percent. These data are reported with a one-week lag.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »
Here's a paragraph from an article (link at the bottom) regarding Trump's advice he is receiving for the second debate:

========================================================

Maybe now they'll succeed in getting Trump to do some practicing, but it's going to be a struggle; as we know, he has a notoriously short attention span. And if Rudy Giuliani is your main adviser on this, you've got a problem. Among other things, Giuliani is now offering the brilliant suggestion that Trump attack Clinton by noting that her husband cheated on her. Perhaps that's not surprising coming from Giuliani, who not only quite publicly cheated on his wife when he was mayor of New York but did everything he could to humiliate her in the process, in an episode of uncommon cruelty. Trump himself seems to like the idea; since Monday's debate he has suggested again and again to reporters that while he didn't bring up Monica Lewinsky then, he really wants to. That's going to go over great with women voters.
==========================================================

http://theweek.com/articles/651768/why-donald-trump-even-worse-second-debate

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »
Will the REAL Donald Trump....please stand up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-lester-holt-rigged_us_57ed6fa3e4b0c2407cdcc2b4

Also.....could be a bad "news cycle" for Trump over the next few days:

1)  Looking like a whiner over the debate not likely to sit well with Independent voters
2)  Miss Universe......Miss Piggy conversation won't go away....because Trump keeps talking about it
3)  Looks as though Trump was telling people in Florida how good the Cuban embargo was and how people should NOT be spending money in Cuba.....and 8 months earlier his people were spending money in Cuba.  Not going to sit well with Cuban Republicans in Miami area
4)  Now he is dredging out the Bill Clinton marital exploits.  And to do this.....he, Rudy Giuliani, and Newt Gingrich are talking about it.  They each have 3 marriages between them...and they ALL CHEATED ON THEIR WIVES.  Probably NOT a winning strategy with women voters.
5)  The "not showing his tax returns" is REALLY STARTING TO GAIN TRACTION.  An army vet started a money raising campaign....by where if Trump shows his tax returns BEFORE the last debate.....anyone donating to the website, the money will go to specified veteran organizations.  In addition.....billionaire Reed Hoffman has said he will MATCH any money on a 5 to 1 ratio....up to $5 million dollars.  So if at least 1 million is raised.....Hoffman will pony up another $5 million.

That tax issue is NOT going to go away.....and now it is making Trump look worse in the minds of INDENPENDENT voters....and voters who are "on the fence".  Trump's base could care less....but it isn't the base he needs now.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »
Short snippet from the debate the other night.  I believe this is where she was getting after Trump for not paying taxes:

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
And for those of you who are in Canada, or Europe, or ANYWHERE other than in the US....here's a video that shows just HOW BAD our choice is:

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »
The issue of WHO Donald Trump is indebted to....and how much....is a big deal to me.  And his personal tax return could certainly shed some light on that (via interest expense...and who it is paid to).

As well.....Bloomberg wrote down Trump's wealth this year by $800 million....down to $3.8 Billion.  As I have noted before.....I think there is a SIGNIFICANT chance that Trump may be in bankruptcy within 4 years.

His commercial properties in New York have dropped in value over the last 12 - 15 months.  His golf properties are not exactly "on fire".

I think there is a significant chance that he is in "financial trouble".....and it is likely to implode more quickly if he is NOT elected.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/opinion/deeply-in-debt-to-russians-donald-trump-may-only-be-running-for-president-to-avoid-bankruptcy/25398/

Here's an article about the newly refurbished hotel in Washington DC.  Great read.  Again...it sounds like trouble ahead for Trump.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/09/donald-trumps-old-post-office-hotel-financial-flop

In finance....there is something called "the roach theory".  Where there is one....there are many.  And I think the roaches are going to start to empty out in the next year or two....

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 04, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
I think this bit of news should go under the heading; How not to get re-elected Senator! Senator Kelly Ayotte from my home state of New Hampshire said Trump is absolutely a role model for kids, during her debate with Maggie Hassan last night. She later said she misspoke!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/03/politics/kelly-ayotte-new-hampshire-donald-trump-debate/index.html

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »
Ultraconservative Ann Coulter, who wrote "Slander" which defended the actions of Joseph McCarthy in the 1950's witch hunt for communists, as well as many other books like "How to talk to a liberal, (if you must)", had this to say about Donald Trump; "Finally, we have a candidate who cares about Americans."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ann-coulter-on-trump-%E2%80%98finally-we-have-a-candidate-who-cares-about-americans%E2%80%99/ar-BBwUkCi?ocid=spartandhp

If she had not been so successful in what she does, I suppose she could have been David Bowie's double in playing "Ziggie Stardust"!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:49:15 PM by budmantis »

J Cartmill

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »
Joe McCarthy was the witch hunter not Eugene.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »
Joe McCarthy was the witch hunter not Eugene.

Right, sorry Eugene! r.i.p.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2016, 06:39:13 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-environment_us_5833a0bbe4b099512f84763a

"It's official: Donald Trump's first hundred days will be horrible for the planet."

"He's writing his legacy in the first few weeks" 'The president who thought climate change was a hoax.'"

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
Food for thought.....

That is why speaking up is so important....and it needs to be EARLY.  Those who say nothing....allow things to happen that should not happen.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:21:53 PM by Buddy »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Just disgusting and sickening.  Let's close our eyes to science, and go back to the moon to plant another Merican flag.  At a time when climate change and impacts are accelerating, ignorance and willful disregard will be the official policy of the US.  Embarrassing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/22/nasa-earth-donald-trump-eliminate-climate-change-research

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »
At a time when climate change and impacts are accelerating, ignorance and willful disregard will be the official policy of the US.  Embarrassing.

And it is YOUR JOB AND MINE.....to mock them and belittle them.  From Trump....to FOX News....to Rick Scott....to Sean Hannity....to Joe Bastardi....to Newt Gingrich...etc...etc..

They will be the ones who are embarrassed over the next few years.  But it is OUR JOB to hold them accountable (the mocking them will just be icing on the cake).   Yes....it would be MUCH MUCH better if they just "looked at science."  But science isn't greasing their wallets....

Sleepy

« Reply #248 on: November 23, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »
Re NASA and Bob Walkers statement. I'm amazed by the silence in here.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »
And it is YOUR JOB AND MINE.....to mock them and belittle them.  From Trump....to FOX News....to Rick Scott....to Sean Hannity....to Joe Bastardi....to Newt Gingrich...etc...etc..

They will be the ones who are embarrassed over the next few years.  But it is OUR JOB to hold them accountable (the mocking them will just be icing on the cake).   Yes....it would be MUCH MUCH better if they just "looked at science."  But science isn't greasing their wallets....

I like your passion and enthusiasm.  We will need more of it in the coming months.  But the men you listed, and their brethren, are not embarrassed by facts and intellectual arguments.  They all operate in the world of CT and the presumption that anyone not of the "conservative" or far right mindset is automatically the enemy and is invalid.  Having these folks in power is exactly what the US and world do not need right now.

They basically are physics deniers. 

Of the "real" politicians I see Gingrich as the worst of the bunch.  He is largely responsible for the shift in tone since 94, of casting anyone outside a right wing POV as illegitimate and un-American.  Sure, it can all be traced back to money, but there is also a deep seated mindset at work.

We know here that physical and chemical processes will continue unabated, and that climate will assert and manifest itself in various forms next year and beyond.  Even disasters with strong or obvious correlations to global warming will not sway these folks.  They can't, as it would basically require them to admit they are frauds and "wrong", which is what they fear most, even more than Muslims and Mexicans and African Americans.

I remain skeptical that Trump actually takes office in January.  If he does, US citizens that actually care about their county and the world basically need to bring the gears of commerce and society to a halt, with massive protests and demonstrations, constantly.  I have very little faith in senior Democratic leaders in Congress and elsewhere.  They have an established track record of being spineless and trying to partner with the right wing, and that never works.