Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Aviation  (Read 123710 times)

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
Re: Aviation
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »
no capacities for that, not even at max airplane factory output and simultaneous major airport capacity increase. won't happen let's talk in 18 years though while chance is that i won't be around by then LOL

That's only a 3.6% annualized rate of growth, so not that impossible to reach. Even the fact that IATA (the representative of the world's airlines) can make such a prediction and not cause consternation due to the climate change impact says so much for the surreal world that we live in.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
Since the emissions doesn't stay here...
https://campaigns.350.org/petitions/stop-the-expansion-of-arlanda-airport
Stop the expansion of Arlanda airport!

The aviation industry have failed to present convincing startegies for sustainable flying. Still the government let the state-owned airport company Swedavia expand Arlanda Airport with 14 new gates and rebuildings to make room for more travellers. This would mean more frequent flight departures which results in heavier carbon emissions. With our petition we show that airport expansions are not supported by the public and that the expansion of Arlanda Airport must me stopped.

Aviation must be reduced:
The climate threat is acute. Today, the aviation is dependent on fossil fuels, and the technical solutions to make the airplane fossil-free are at best case far ahead in time. We do not have time to wait; therefore, flying must be drastically reduced.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2018, 06:33:31 AM »
Swedish recommendations on national television; how to fly green.
Video at the link, hopefully you don't understand Swedish and hopefully you won't try to translate any of this. Be warned if you do try. This is simply miserable.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/sa-reser-du-miljovanligt

-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
'Electric flying is becoming a reality', says easyJet CEO as they plan to test 9-seater electric plane next year
https://electrek.co/2018/10/29/electric-flying-is-becoming-a-reality-says-easyjet-ceo-electric-plane/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »
'Electric flying is becoming a reality', says easyJet CEO as they plan to test 9-seater electric plane next year
https://electrek.co/2018/10/29/electric-flying-is-becoming-a-reality-says-easyjet-ceo-electric-plane/

It will take a lot of 9 seaters.....

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
Andreas Schäfer on electric aircrafts at Chalmers in Gothenburg, from September (in English):
https://urskola.se/Produkter/208665-UR-Samtiden-Elfordon-i-dag-och-i-morgon-Elflyg-mojligheter-och-utmaningar
Adding a snippet from the end of that video.
-

RikW

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
I think battery capacity/weight ratio is the most important factor for electrifying society and especially for the transport sector

magnamentis

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
I think battery capacity/weight ratio is the most important factor for electrifying society and especially for the transport sector

certainly a big factor but then the resources needed to build all those batteries in masses, thousands of times more than today, should not be neglect as an obstacle.

i predict that in case batteries become the main fuel tanks for most of mobility the damage done to the planet and society by collecting the necessary raw-materials will be as big or even bigger than the wars and pollutions we are facing for oil.

what i'm trying to say is that we do not only have to look at efficiency but at technology used as well and it could well be that Hydrogen will be the solution (fuel cells etc )because the main resources would be electricity and water.

i imagine something like one of the many deserts that meet the oceans like in south africa and namibia as well as parts of west africa etc etc.

while the above is something to consider ( adding to the discussion ) my personal opinion is that it will be a mix with hydrogen serving as main energy storage to fuel most things that are now fueled with fossil fuel. at least provided that no totally new, yet unknown battery (storage) technology will come around the corner ;)

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
When the global community (or perhaps the larger powers) get real about cutting emissions, one of the "low hanging fruits" will be aviation. How can one argue that my vacation in Thailand (from Canada) or the arrival of fresh tulips and other things overnight from distant places is not a luxury we could do without to save our societies?

With aviation "accounting for approximately 3.5% of emissions from developed countries", and with the additional nitrogen oxides emissions and contrails "estimated to be about two to four times greater than those of CO2 alone" it will be a low-hanging juicy target that is growing at 9% per year.

The options are batteries (for take-off), biofuels and perhaps hydrogen. All of these add to weight and/or cost, are nowhere near ready for general usage, and may have highly questionable net-carbon emissions (just like the EU has discovered with much biodiesel). We also have the case of US corn ethanol which has an EROI hovering around 1, simply a subsidy to US corn farmers. Only Brazil is able to produce ethanol (sugar cane based) at anywhere near an acceptable EROI. For hydrogen there is also the emotional (and practical) issue that was encapsulated by the Hindenburg. Hydrogen is extremely flammable, and therefore the general public would need to be brought around to flying in a "hydrogen bomb".

My personal feeling is that we simply end up flying a lot less (especially on long-distance "cheap" vacations), possibly reinvigorating some of those more local resorts, with flying returning to being more of an elite pass-time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-11707135

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2018, 12:26:18 AM »

It will take a lot of 9 seaters.....

”While they are starting with a small plane, Wright is trying the ambitious goal of building a battery-powered 150-seat plane to compete with 737-size aircrafts in the market for short-haul trips (under 300 miles).”

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #210 on: November 01, 2018, 02:19:21 AM »
When the global community (or perhaps the larger powers) get real about cutting emissions, one of the "low hanging fruits" will be aviation. How can one argue that my vacation in Thailand (from Canada) or the arrival of fresh tulips and other things overnight from distant places is not a luxury we could do without to save our societies?

With aviation "accounting for approximately 3.5% of emissions from developed countries", and with the additional nitrogen oxides emissions and contrails "estimated to be about two to four times greater than those of CO2 alone" it will be a low-hanging juicy target that is growing at 9% per year.

The options are batteries (for take-off), biofuels and perhaps hydrogen. All of these add to weight and/or cost, are nowhere near ready for general usage, and may have highly questionable net-carbon emissions (just like the EU has discovered with much biodiesel). We also have the case of US corn ethanol which has an EROI hovering around 1, simply a subsidy to US corn farmers. Only Brazil is able to produce ethanol (sugar cane based) at anywhere near an acceptable EROI. For hydrogen there is also the emotional (and practical) issue that was encapsulated by the Hindenburg. Hydrogen is extremely flammable, and therefore the general public would need to be brought around to flying in a "hydrogen bomb".

My personal feeling is that we simply end up flying a lot less (especially on long-distance "cheap" vacations), possibly reinvigorating some of those more local resorts, with flying returning to being more of an elite pass-time.
My personal feeling is that we continue flying as usual up until the collapse, unfortunately. The desire to fly and have that vacation in Thailand is very strong and prevalent across many levels of society, with the result of flight demand growing 7-8% annually. I strongly doubt that the masses will give up flying to save the planet. I fervently hope that some technological solution will be found to enable either flying on batteries, or to somehow synthesize aviation fuel using renewable electricity.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
Re: large commercial ones: From the video in #209 above and Andreas Schäfer: "We need to start now in order to have these technologies avialable at mid century."
There is only one option left, stop flying.

Stumbled over this:
https://twitter.com/KevinClimate/status/1062300137731641344
Just noticed that I’ve been blocked by the international civil aviation authority @icao Have others working on aviation emissions also been blocked? Appears to be that their commitment to open skies does not extend to open (& courteous) debate?
-

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2018, 05:27:46 PM »
I recently booked a flight because it was considerably cheaper (to my employer) than the only other available alternative- driving a personal vehicle. The point here is that simply not flying, while needed, needs to be accompanied by some thought on alternatives and inducements. Of course a swingeing carbon tax would help....

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »
Define "needed"? I resigned thirteen years ago and stopped flying altogether ten years ago when jumping out of a Cessna. My resignation hurt my economy and some thought I was crazy. But I'm still alive and actually far better off today, with less. I have time for my kids, I have time for my old lady, I actually have time to live instead of chasing what? Career? Status? Money? More stuff? More what?

Attaching a couple of slides by Nicholas, the rest is here:
https://www.slideshare.net/kimberlynicholas/academic-flying
-

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
My personal feeling is that we continue flying as usual up until the collapse, unfortunately. The desire to fly and have that vacation in Thailand is very strong and prevalent across many levels of society, with the result of flight demand growing 7-8% annually. I strongly doubt that the masses will give up flying to save the planet. I fervently hope that some technological solution will be found to enable either flying on batteries, or to somehow synthesize aviation fuel using renewable electricity.

I tend to agree with you Oren. I see the collapse as a mixture of tipping point climate impacts and emergency "last ditch" measures that will fail while redistributing the impacts of collapse onto the poor - such as a swingeing fossil fuel tax that crashes many country's economies (Saudi Arabia, Russia and Iran etc., the tourism dependent Caribbean etc., and horticulture/flower producers in Africa and Latin America, etc.) while the rich simply grumble more and more about how much it costs to fuel their yacht and how they have to be "discrete" about their yacht usage and flying their personal jets from airports out of the way of prying eyes. Their "personal helpers" will be cheaper and more abundant though as unemployment rapidly rises. In this way the rich will be comfortable right up to the end of the crash period - just like the Romanovs.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
Point one from Nicholas slide 9 above: Flying is unusual; increases with high income.
Adding slide 54 as well.
-

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »
Unfortunately, we have an increasingly large middle class in China that is just getting into flying (as well as eating meat). The future is a wave of Chinese tourists swamping tourist destinations around the world. Just saw a story about officials from Tanzania visiting Hong Kong to push high-end tourism, with direct flights from China to Tanzania just starting.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2018, 07:05:21 AM »
The only way to change is to change myself.
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2018, 07:22:08 AM »
An open letter to Danish universities: Let us show the way towards a more ambitious climate agenda
http://sciencenordic.com/open-letter-danish-universities-let-us-show-way-towards-more-ambitious-climate-agenda
The universities have a particularly heavy responsibility with regard to the implementation of an ambitious climate agenda, for three main reasons.

Firstly, researchers contribute to a particularly high degree of carbon emissions, especially by using air transport to travel to conferences. High emissions offer an equally large potential for reducing the researchers’ climate footprint.

Secondly, scientific authority is a key topic in the fight against climate skepticism. Researchers cannot expect to be taken seriously in the debate on climate change if they do not themselves implement the measures they propose. We have to put our own house in order first if we want others to listen.

Thirdly, the universities are ideally suited to lead the fight against climate change by developing and testing innovative, interdisciplinary and evidence-based measures for reducing carbon emissions. If new solutions are not developed at the universities, where else should they come from?
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »
World's First 'Ion Drive' Plane with No Moving Parts Created by MIT Scientists
The researchers flew 10 flights using an aircraft with a five-metre wingspan, weighing less than 2.5 kilograms. They were able to fly it for up to nine seconds over a distance of 45 metres at a speed of five metres per second. The craft needed around 20 seconds to build up its power and was then launched using a mechanical bungee system.

While this flight time and distance might not seem like much, the researchers point out that they’re actually similar to the those of the first flight of aeroplane inventors the Wright Brothers in 1903. Making further advances in materials and power electronics, and optimising the airframe, could enable the craft to fly faster and for longer. It may also be possible to use solar panels to generate the electricity needed to power the ion drive.
https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-first-ion-drive-plane-no-moving-parts-created-mit-scientists-1227260

A more technical discussion here:
Ion drive meets drone, as small plane flies with no moving parts | Ars Technica
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/small-drone-soars-on-an-ionic-wind-with-no-moving-parts/

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2018, 06:38:27 AM »
New report from Chalmers on Swedish air travel.
https://research.chalmers.se/publication/506796
In Swedish but with an English summary:
Greenhouse gas emissions from air-travel is substantial for high-income countries like Sweden. The established accounting methodology for aviation, which is reported to the UNFCCC, is based on how much the aircrafts are fueling in each country (so called bunkering). We have developed a complementary indicator that includes emissions from the whole air-trip to the final destinations as well as the non-CO2 effects (Larsson et al., 2018). In this report we have refined the method based on data from the Swedish airport operator, Swedavia, and analyzed the development between 1990 and 2017.

The number of trips per person has increased dramatically. Domestic air travel has not increased but international trips have doubled from 0.5 trips per person and year in 1990 to 1.0 trips per person in 2017, a yearly increase by 2.9%.

The average distance to the final destination has not increased much during the period since the number of both short and long trips have increased. The average distance is about 2700 km for a one-way trip which is similar to the distance between Stockholm and Madrid.

Emissions per person-km has decreased by 1.9% per year average. In 2017 the were 90 grams CO2 per person-km, and if the non-CO2-effects are included the emissions are estimated to 170 grams CO2-eq. As a comparison the emissions from long-distance travel by car is about 50 grams per person-km, based on the average number of persons in each car on long-distance trips (3 persons).

The total emissions from the air-travel of Swedish citizens was 10 million ton CO2-eq. in 2017, an increase by 47% since 1990. Emissions from domestic aviation is decreasing and now accounts for only 7% of the emissions. The emissions from international trips have increased and now accounts for 93% of the emissions. The emissions increase took place during the 90s. After year 2000 the emissions have been on the same level due to that the emission decrease per person-km have been on par with the increase in person-km.

The greenhouse gas emissions from Swedish inhabitants’ air travel is now about equivalent to the Swedish emissions from car use. The annual emissions from air travel are now about 1.1-ton CO2-eqv. per Swedish inhabitant which is about five times higher than the global average.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »
The greening of the package delivery industry still has some kinks to work out.

Customers compare the noise from Alphabet spinout Wing’s delivery drones to a chainsaw
Wing, a graduate of Google parent company Alphabet’s X R&D lab, aims to develop drones that might one day be used to deliver packages to customers’ doorsteps. The only problem? They’re too noisy.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Wing’s parcel-carrying drones, which were deployed in a rural area of southeastern Australia in October 2017 as part of a pilot program, have disrupted the lives of some longtime residents, who say that they don’t use their yards as much. (The neighbors of a Wing customer who spoke to the Journal have requested that she “stop getting deliveries.”) And the noise — which some accounts compared to that of a chainsaw — tends to spook pups, a local dog club president told the publication.

The current-gen Wing drones can fly at speeds of up to 78 miles per hour and take off and land vertically, thanks to a dozen vertical rotors and two propellers. Automated flight-planning software determines their route, while onboard sensors help them to avoid obstacles.

Despite the sophisticated onboard tech, though, sounds aren’t the only problem Wing’s drones have yet to overcome. User error has resulted in at least one accidental delivery, and the drones are sometimes forced to land due to high winds and obstructions. (According to the Journal, they’ve needed to touch down five times out of 2,000 deliveries.) Moreover, the product selection remains rather small — Wing’s currently working with Guzman y Gomez, to deliver Mexican food and Chemist Warehouse, a pharmacy chain.

But Wing contends that its drone program could result in substantial savings for — and a smaller carbon footprint from — local businesses. A commissioned report cited $9 million in annual cost savings, while a Rand Corporation study forecasted a 6 percent reduction in energy usage compared to trucks. ...
https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/27/alphabet-spinout-wings-drones-are-too-noisy-customers-say/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
I see the attraction for wireless and autonomous charging, but, in-air? 
I guess that feature would allow recharging stations to be set up in places where a flat landing surface might be difficult to install, such as over steeply sloped or glass roofs, or in rugged or mountainous areas where landing a drone to charge would make it too vulnerable to wildlife (or humans).

Wireless charging hotspots lets drones fly forever through in-air recharges
https://www.teslarati.com/wireless-charging-drone-in-air-ces-global-energy/

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »
The sales of reloadable shotguns may also increase ...

Ranman99

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2019, 12:14:24 AM »
The rise in re-loadable shotgun sales is a given me thinks just about for all the reasons we are seeing in this forum ;-)
😎

Grubbegrabben

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2019, 12:52:00 AM »
New report from Chalmers on Swedish air travel.
https://research.chalmers.se/publication/506796
In Swedish but with an English summary:

The greenhouse gas emissions from Swedish inhabitants’ air travel is now about equivalent to the Swedish emissions from car use. The annual emissions from air travel are now about 1.1-ton CO2-eqv. per Swedish inhabitant which is about five times higher than the global average.

Since there are statistics for about everything (and I was a bit curious), it can be noted that the Swedish forestry industry cut down about 36.5 million m3 of trees for construction purposes (2017). The conversion factor to CO2-eqv is about 190 kg CO2 to 1 m3 wood which sums up to 7M ton CO2. So more than half of the annual emissions (10M ton) from air travel is stored in IKEA furniture. Let's hope they last.

Obviously a joke, hopefully people will realize how stupid it is to travel by air.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
Harbour Air to convert all its seaplanes to electric for first all-electric airline
Being billed as the “world’s first all-electric airline,” the partnership will see MagniX convert all of Harbour Air’s more than 30 seaplanes to electric. The planes will be powered by MagniX’s magni500, a 750-horsepower all-electric motor.

Harbour Air operates the largest all-seaplane fleet in North America. It flies 12 routes in the Pacific Northwest in Canada and the U.S., from cities like Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria and smaller destinations. The company says more than 500,000 passengers fly on its 30,000 commercial flights each year. Founder and CEO of Harbour Air Seaplanes, Greg McDougall, said of the partnership:

“Harbour Air first demonstrated its commitment to sustainability by becoming the first fully carbon-neutral airline in North America in 2007, through the purchase of carbon offsets. Through our commitment to making a positive impact on people’s lives, the communities where we operate and the environment, we are once again pushing the boundaries of aviation by becoming the first aircraft to be powered by electric propulsion. We are excited to bring commercial electric aviation to the Pacific Northwest, turning our seaplanes into ePlanes.”

MagniX CEO Roei Ganzarski said,

“In 2018, 75 percent of worldwide airline flights were 1,000 miles or less in range. With MagniX’s new propulsion systems coupled with emerging battery capabilities, we see tremendous potential for electric aviation to transform this heavily trafficked ‘middle mile’ range. We’re excited to partner with Harbour Air, a forward thinking, like-minded company that is dedicated to bringing environmentally conscious, cost effective air-transport solutions to the West Coast of North America. This partnership will set the standard for the future of commercial aviation operators.” ...
https://electrek.co/2019/03/26/harbour-seaplanes-electric-airline/

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2019, 08:47:51 PM »
Hybrid battery-electric regional airplanes are in the test phase:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/05/30-fuel-savings-when-flying-utcs-hybrid-electric-regional-planes-soon/

Technically, the 2-megawatt hybrid-electric engine should be enough to shoulder 30 to 50 passengers between 200 and 250 nautical miles on hour-long trips. That segment is always highly focused, efficient, and segmented, so cutting fuel costs by 30% is nothing to sneer.

The beauty of an aircraft is that it needs its 2 MW peak power at takeoff but then only needs half for regular cruising operations. Batteries, thus, just need to push out large amounts of power for a short while before hitting a more manageable cruising output. And the better the energy density of batteries get, the sooner we will have battery-operated regional aircraft.

In this case, efficiency means sacrificing some range. For the time being, the Dash 8 will see its range drop by around 40% down to 600 miles for that efficiency luxury. In order to explain the logic behind the design, Jason Chua, executive director of advanced projects at UTC, was quoted saying:

“Given that 99 percent of the missions that these aircraft flies are under 500 miles and the drafting fuel savings you can get, this seems like a pretty reasonable trade-off.”

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
Norway aviation firm orders 60 all-electric airplanes
The airplanes will be used for training at OSM Aviation Academy’s flight training centers. Pilots flying the planes will earn the same licenses they would have earned from flying traditional planes. Using the all-electric planes will also cut flight costs, Høiby told Reuters.
https://electrek.co/2019/04/11/norway-60-electric-airplanes/

OSM currently uses about 20 planes for pilot training. Most of them are Cessna 172s, which will be phased out.  While it costs $110/hr. to operate a conventional training plane, the all-electric planes will only cost $20 per hour.

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »
Once the fuel is sourced in a green manner, rocket-ship travel will be the most convenient and efficient mode of transportation. If the fuel comes from something abundant (like algae), it could also be fairly inexpensive. Plus, humanity will be interconnected like never before.

big time oops

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2019, 02:38:28 AM »
GSY, having lots of fun today or is that rose-coloured glasses I spy?

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
Edward Hanrahan and Kevin Anderson on BBC yesterday, between ~1:15:45-1:20:48:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004s9n

Short familiar sentences by Kevin Anderson:
30 years have passed.
We have fundamentally failed on climate change and we are passing that legacy onto our children.
Us high-emitters are still trying to find ways so that we can pay other people to compensate for our high-carbon lifestyles.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Climate change 'may curb growth in UK flying'
The advisory Committee on Climate Change (CCC) recently said the UK's planned increase in aviation would need to be curbed to restrict CO2.

Now a senior civil servant has told a green group that means ministers may have to review aviation strategy.
In a letter to a tiny pressure group Plan B, the Department for Transport (DfT) aviation head Caroline Low said: “It may be necessary to consider the CCC’s recommended policy approach for aviation.”

This may sound like a cautious civil servant covering bases, but for Plan B it is an admission that the DfT will have to confront the notion that concerns over climate change may outweigh people’s desire to fly more. ...
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48233548

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
Flight provider BlackBird adding 100+ electric airplanes by 2020
The energy cost for the electric eFlyer 4 is four times less expensive than driving a conventional car per mile, three times faster, and requires no aviation fuel, resulting in zero emissions and significantly lower noise pollution compared to conventional aircraft. The affordability aspect alone helps answer high overhead and drives replacement of today’s outdated legacy general aviation aircraft fleets.
https://electrek.co/2019/05/22/blackbird-100-electric-airplanes/

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
Incrementalism's finest.
https://www.breakit.se/artikel/20346/isabella-lowengrip-ska-fa-fler-att-flyga-privatjet-miljofragan-inte-speciellt-global
"I will never be Sweden's largest environmental fighter internationally, but I might be a female role model that will sometime run a unicorn company," she recently told Di Digital.
-

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »
'Flying-V' plane named after a GUITAR burns 20 per cent less fuel than conventional aircraft and can carry more than 300 passengers

Dutch airline KLM are funding a pioneering aeronautical project which could see the shape and layout of commercial aeroplanes changed forever. 

The stunning 'Flying-V' design, financially backed by KLM, has the same wingspan as existing planes and is able to carry up to 314 passengers.

It is named after the iconic Gibson Flying-V electric guitar

Its designers say this unique configuration uses 20 per cent less fuel. The wings would host the passenger space, cargo hold, fuel tanks and all other infrastructure, it is believed.

Its size makes it a comparable rival to the traditional Airbus A350 and the Boeing 787 and it would be able to use existing gates, hangars and runways

for details and a video see:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7098415/Flying-V-plane-unveiled-named-GUITAR.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
Just for fun: 1-Minute video from the cockpit of a 747, at the link.  Doesn’t look like automation will make pilots obsolete very soon.

Miami Rick (@miami_rick) 6/4/19, 4:40 AM
By popular demand... This is what a workout in uniform looks like.. ILS 16R at the @SydneyAirport earlier today while fighting crosswinds and gusts and rain and turbulence...all the way until after touchdown. The #QueenOfTheSkies wanted to keep flying, but I had to say no.. #B747
https://twitter.com/miami_rick/status/1135828729517682688

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2019, 03:32:58 AM »
Weird problem with GPS signals today and yesterday, causing many delayed and cancelled flights.  GPS is working; satellites are healthy, but the signal is degraded, causing problems for ADS-B (onboard Air Traffic Control equipment).  Solar minimum currently; no sunspots reported, but an unusual number of noctilucent clouds seen in Europe and US.... ???
Airspace Status (@airspacestatus) 6/8/19, 9:44 PM
011 DCC - ADS-B AND GPS ANOMALIES - bit.ly/2MBVsS8
https://twitter.com/airspacestatus/status/1137535843105722368
Matt Mastracci (@mmastrac) 6/9/19, 11:41 AM
Apparently planes today have a blanket waiver to fly without GPS. This GPS outage is definitely.. odd.
fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_otherd… pic.twitter.com/hPug58gou6
https://twitter.com/mmastrac/status/1137746467186020352

GPS and ADS-B Problems Cause Cancelled Flights
Something strange has been going on in the friendly skies over the last day or so. Flights are being canceled. Aircraft are grounded. Passengers are understandably upset. The core of the issue is GPS and ADS-B systems. The ADS-B system depends on GPS data to function properly, but over this weekend a problem with the quality of the GPS data has disrupted normal ADS-B features on some planes, leading to the cancellations.

What is ADS-B and Why Is It Having Trouble?

Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) is a communication system used in aircraft worldwide. Planes transmit location, speed, flight number, and other information on 1090 MHz. This data is picked up by ground stations and eventually displayed on air traffic controller screens. Aircraft also receive this data from each other as part of the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS).
The ADS-B system in a plane needs to get position data before it can transmit. These days, that data comes from a global satellite navigation system. In the USA, that means GPS. The GPS system is currently having some problems though. This is where Receiver autonomous integrity monitoring (RAIM) comes in. Safety-critical GPS systems (those in planes and ships) cross-check their current position. If GPS is sending degraded or incorrect data, it is sent to the FAA who displays it on their website. The non-precision approach current outage map is showing degraded service all over the US Eastern seaboard, as well as the North. The cause of this signal degradation is currently unknown.

What Hardware is Affected?

GPS isn’t down though — you can walk outside with your cell phone to verify that. However, it is degraded. How a plane’s GPS system reacts to that depends on the software built into the GPS receiver. If the system fails, the pilots will have to rely on older systems like VOR to navigate. But ADS-B will have even more problems. An aircraft ADS-B system needs position data to operate.  If you can’t transmit your position information, air traffic controllers need to rely on old fashioned radar to determine position. All of this adds up to a safety of flight problem, which means grounding the aircraft.

Digging through canceled flight lists, one can glean which aircraft are having issues. From the early reports, it seems like Bombardier CRJ 700 and 900 have problems. Folks on Airliners.net are speculating that any aircraft with Rockwell Collins flight management systems are having problems.

This is not a small issue, there are hundreds or thousands of canceled flights. The FAA set up a teleconference to access the issue. Since then, the FAA has issued a blanket waiver to all affected flights. They can fly, but only up to 28,000 feet. ...
https://hackaday.com/2019/06/09/gps-and-ads-b-problems-cause-cancelled-flights/

Tom_Mazanec

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2019, 07:32:44 PM »
Interesting “tail-dragger” design, with pusher-props on the wingtips and tail.  Easy enough nowdays to add a camera under the nose to improve forward visibility, and computer-control of engines and rudder to prevent the plane from swapping ends on the ground (a risk particularly with vintage tail-draggers that have a single heavy engine up front).

https://www.eviation.co/alice/

Eviation's all-electric Alice airplane coming to US regional airline Cape Air by 2022
Cape Air is one of the largest regional airlines in the US, operating in 35 US and Caribbean cities, with a fleet of 92 nine-seater airplanes. Eviation says Cape Air has a double-digit purchase option for the nine-seat Alice, which it will incorporate into its existing fleet.

Alice will begin test flights this year. Eviation expects to receive certification in 2021, and it says it will start shipping the planes for commercial use by 2022.
https://electrek.co/2019/06/18/eviation-electric-cape-air/

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
Missed this thread, so moved following post here, though sigmetnow has also beaten me to posting about Alice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48630656

Why the age of electric flight is finally upon us

Israeli firm Eviation says the craft - called Alice - will carry nine passengers for up to 650 miles (1,040km) at 10,000ft (3,000m) at 276mph (440km/h). It is expected to enter service in 2022.

A small aircraft, like a turbo-prop Cessna Caravan, will use $400 on conventional fuel for a 100-mile flight, says Mr Ganzarski. But with electricity "it'll be between $8-$12, which means much lower costs per flight-hour".

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
The Navy’s Patented Hybrid Underwater Aerospace Craft

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28729/docs-show-navy-got-ufo-patent-granted-by-warning-of-similar-chinese-tech-advances

"Pais is named as the inventor on four separate patents for which the U.S. Navy is the assignee: a curiously-shaped “High Frequency Gravitational Wave Generator;” a room temperature superconductor; an electromagnetic ‘force field’ generator that could deflect asteroids; and, perhaps the strangest of all, one titled “Craft Using An Inertial Mass Reduction Device.” While all are pretty outlandish-sounding, the latter is the one that the Chief Technical Officer of the Naval Aviation Enterprise personally vouched for in a letter to the USPTO, claiming the Chinese are already developing similar capabilities."

https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Salvatore+Pais&oq=inventor:(Salvatore+Pais)

Craft using an inertial mass reduction device

A craft using an inertial mass reduction device comprises of an inner resonant cavity wall, an outer resonant cavity, and microwave emitters. The electrically charged outer resonant cavity wall and the electrically insulated inner resonant cavity wall form a resonant cavity. The microwave emitters

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2019, 11:20:50 PM »
forgot to add the pdf link for the microwave cavity homework, should also look for "EmDrive".

http://web.mit.edu/22.09/ClassHandouts/Charged%20Particle%20Accel/CHAP12.PDF

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
Contrails make the planet warmer:
https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-airplane-contrails-are-helping-make-the-planet-warmer
Didn't they find a 2C increase ~9/11 when there were virtually no planes in the sky over America?
Terry

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
Contrails make the planet warmer:
https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-airplane-contrails-are-helping-make-the-planet-warmer
Didn't they find a 2C increase ~9/11 when there were virtually no planes in the sky over America?
Terry
As with clouds- it's complicated, rather, it's complex. The article posits that the clouds (contrails)  produced by planes act as a blanket at night, resulting in a net warming effect. Tech changes to reduce CO2 emissions could result in thicker contrails, thus more insulation. Now, if planes were only allowed to fly in daytime...
"While CO2 accumulates in the atmosphere and has a long-lasting effect, contrails last a matter of hours at most, and their warming impact is temporary."
Regarding the 9/11 effect: "And after 9/11, when all commercial flights in the U.S. were grounded for three days, the diurnal temperature difference increased by up to 1.8 degrees C. The increase was strongest where air traffic was normally densest, said the study’s author, David Travis of the University of Wisconsin."
In other words, contrails do have a cooling effect during the day, and a warming effect at night. Which seems legit. The article does discount electrification of air travel, or the possibility we will decide to fly less, or that carbon taxes will drive behaviour away from flying.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2019, 02:22:07 AM »
Compute how much your flight melts the Arctic, and how much your other green efforts balance that out:
https://www.vox.com/business-and-finance/2019/8/7/20756833/climate-change-flying-calculator-arctic-ice

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2019, 09:34:19 PM »
Hydrogen powered plane with 500 mile range:
https://www.fastcompany.com/90388931/this-plane-can-fly-500-miles-powered-entirely-by-hydrogen
ZeroAvia, the startup that designed the hydrogen-fueled electric powertrain inside the plane, has been testing the technology over the past year and emerged from stealth today. The company says it will run a full test flight with hydrogen on board in a few weeks. In 2022, it plans to begin supplying the powertrain for use in planes with as many as 20 seats, on flights up to 500 miles long.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2019, 10:49:17 PM »
Hydrogen powered plane with 500 mile range:
https://www.fastcompany.com/90388931/this-plane-can-fly-500-miles-powered-entirely-by-hydrogen
ZeroAvia, the startup that designed the hydrogen-fueled electric powertrain inside the plane, has been testing the technology over the past year and emerged from stealth today. The company says it will run a full test flight with hydrogen on board in a few weeks. In 2022, it plans to begin supplying the powertrain for use in planes with as many as 20 seats, on flights up to 500 miles long.
And if the hydrogen should escape, we'll capture it in an expanding balloon structure and float to our destination. :)

Terry