Off-topic > The forum

Forum Decorum

(1/114) > >>

DavidR:
Decorum: behaviour in keeping with good taste and propriety.

Various people have made suggestions about how to make the forum more focussed and less cluttered. Here are some of them, feel free to add your own pet peeves.

* Consider whether readers of the forum would benefit from your comment before posting.

* Posting multiple times in a row is generally against forum etiquette. If you have something additional to add and your post is still the last in a thread, edit your post.

* If you have multiple people to reply to, do it in a single post.

* When quoting someone else, try to cut away all the text that isn't pertinent to your answer.

* Avoid comments which contain more blurb than information
* Avoid personal comment which says very little of interest.

* Avoid long winded sign offs. 1 line is acceptable, 3 lines or more is a self indulgence.

* Avoid reposting images in the same thread. .

* Where possible include a link rather than regurgitating swathes of information. But can we please have at least a small synopsis of what the link is referring to.

* And those left-open parentheses : I have to say I  don't personally  agree with  complaints based on poor spelling, language difficulties or predictive text

* Avoid starting multiple threads about the same subject,  check for an existing thread

* Use a different thread if the subject is off topic for the one you are on

* If you think a particular poster is behaving inappropriately, try sending them a PM and explain to them what you think they are doing wrong and how they could improve.

* keep calm and reply tomorrow
We can tolerate some of this stuff, but rather not in well-frequented threads.
It should be understood that these types of "rules" aren't meant to censor. Each and every one of us has a personality, and that should be allowed to shine through in our comments .

"I for one would really like a 'Like' button.": Unfortunately  this is not currently possible on this platform

DoomInTheUK:

--- Quote from: DavidR on May 26, 2016, 02:39:55 PM ---
* Where possible include a link rather than regurgitating swathes of information.

--- End quote ---

But can we please have at least a small synopsis of what the link is referring to.

Neven:

* Don't open threads in the wrong category
* Avoid typos
Just kidding, DavidR. Thanks for opening this thread. I'll be sure to refer to it.

I can tolerate some of this stuff, but rather not in well-frequented threads. Like sis says, things are going pretty well, I'd say. I barely have to moderate, and I'm the only moderator (with Dungeon Master providing back-up when needed.

Tor Bejnar:
And those left-open parentheses  ;D  ::)

I certainly appreciate the request/demand to keep the busiest threads free from jokes, asides, off-topic comments and 'bulk'.  And I also appreciate the humor, dry or unintentional, that happens within this community, and often enjoy reading the banter between my co-commenters.  And now I'll just refuse to enjoy such behavior when on the currently-favored threads.

pccp82:
especially since i am just interested in this topic and not an expert, I go with this:

2 ears, one mouth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version