Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384271 times)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1100 on: August 13, 2020, 07:09:29 AM »
Michael Hauber
In my experience over the last decade deniers never admit wrong or feel guilt .
Instead they move  goal posts.
That you have indicated you will own your errors you do not meet my personal criteria.
Listen to oren-Sensei
Oren has an impressive amount of emotional intelligence  we can all learn from and is justly our most important moderator  on this  forum. On the Cryosphere threads it is orens to decide if you are a denier not for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:17:34 AM by KiwiGriff »
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1101 on: August 13, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »
Just predicting future outcomes on how the ice melts in a different way you do doesn't justify calling someone a denier. I would like to see actual evidence for accusations like that. Otherwise, they are unfounded accusations and will be snipped or deleted.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1102 on: August 14, 2020, 02:31:50 AM »
Re: moderator slapfest on covid-19 thread

Please guys, can you take that to email or personal message ?

That said, i tend to agree with Neven that Mr. blumenkraft, who has many virtues, is too combative to be an effective moderator.

sidd

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1103 on: August 14, 2020, 03:25:09 AM »
Online, if you are in power, you shouldn't throw verbal barbs, merely. You either shit or get off the pot.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Rod

« Reply #1104 on: August 14, 2020, 07:09:05 AM »
Re: moderator slapfest on covid-19 thread

That said, i tend to agree with Neven that Mr. blumenkraft, who has many virtues, is too combative to be an effective moderator.

sidd

After reading your post, I had to go check the thread and see what was happening.

Big mistake!  It just made me angry. 

I don’t see how that thread brings anything of value to the forum. It has become a cesspool that is just making people fight with each other.

My respective suggestion is that the thread be locked, and we discontinue anymore discussions of that topic on this forum. Everyone believes what they believe and no one is changing anyone else’s mind by what they are saying.

The thread is toxic and causing far more harm than it is worth.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1105 on: August 14, 2020, 07:43:43 AM »
Re:  the thread [COVID-19] be locked

Disagreed. That thread is a valuable compendium of information, with many links to data and research.

I suggest more of the commentariat use the 'Ignore' setting to improve their blood pressure. As a matter of fact, perhaps we should set the default for all commenters to to 'Everyone'. Then people can gradually allow other commenters into their awareness one by one by taking them off their ignore list. If a severe allergic reaction follows, then put the offending commenter back on the ignore list.

Sorta like using poison ivy for toilet tissue. After the first time ...

sidd

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #1106 on: August 14, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
Sidd
If you delete every one how would you know if they add value?  You even allegedly tried to delete your self.  ;D
I welcome some who offer conflicting opinion as it makes me think and look at my own world view.
Dissent can be a learning experience.
There are some rules of logic that if you repeatedly go out side of you lose any authority and get your world view heavily discounted as a result.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1107 on: August 14, 2020, 10:22:06 AM »

I prefer to do it out in the open. I've received news that blumenkraft is very active on the PM front, trying to build a movement against the ASIF's Trump/Bolsonaro/Stalin, which would be me. This is apparently caused by my criticizing the wider implications of SARS-CoV-2, and so I figured I might as well raise it in the thread in question.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #1108 on: August 14, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
I've received news that blumenkraft is very active on the PM front

Do you want me to post screenshots with whom i have PM contact? No problem. I have nothing to hide.

This is a game of stupid, and i'm no more willing to eat the shit. Please remove me as a moderator, Neven.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1109 on: August 14, 2020, 11:34:17 AM »
Please remove me as a moderator, Neven.

Done.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #1110 on: August 14, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »

I prefer to do it out in the open. I've received news that blumenkraft is very active on the PM front, trying to build a movement against the ASIF's Trump/Bolsonaro/Stalin, which would be me. This is apparently caused by my criticizing the wider implications of SARS-CoV-2, and so I figured I might as well raise it in the thread in question.
You are not the only victim of a slander campaign Neven.They've been doing that to me for more than a year now. When people reply to me or give me a like, they are contacted in private to stop doing that. It's disgusting!

Never thought they would dare to do that to the creator of this forum though... I think it's time to boot some people from your forum that are actively trying to ruin it...

Blum. It's very easy to delete your account yourself!
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 14, 2020, 11:39:13 AM »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1112 on: August 14, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
When people reply to me or give me a like, they are contacted in private to stop doing that. It's disgusting!

Nonsense. I do both and never been contacted.

(And B_L please don't delete).

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 14, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »
When people reply to me or give me a like, they are contacted in private to stop doing that. It's disgusting!

Nonsense. I do both and never been contacted.

(And B_L please don't delete).
You're not just anyone Oren. They probably know you wouldn't accept behaviour like that.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1114 on: August 14, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
No worries, Oren. I do value this community. It's 99% great people. The few hustlers will not drive me off the forum. I have no respect for them whatsoever.

I deleted my account once because neven (basically) called me a nazi. Back then i respected him and his words mattered to me. They don't anymore.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:07:52 PM by blumenkraft »

blumenkraft

« Reply #1115 on: August 14, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »
BTW, there have been some obstacles (fuck Brexit), but i'm happy to report that Gero finally got his money this morning. YEY! \o/

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 14, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »
No worries, Oren. I do value this community. It's 99% great people. The few hustlers will not drive me off the forum. I have no respect for them whatsoever.

I deleted my account once because neven (basically) called me a nazi. Back then i respected him and his words mattered to me. They don't anymore.
Wow. So you admit that you are actively trying to get rid of the 1% you don't agree with?

WTF happened?

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #1117 on: August 14, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »
BTW, there have been some obstacles (fuck Brexit), but i'm happy to report that Gero finally got his money this morning. YEY! \o/
That's very good news. I'm glad you've managed to fight your way through the bureaucracy.

And welcome back to the cheap seats, Blum. I have a feeling you won't be too unhappy about it – trying to be both Sheriff and Outlaw seemed to cramp your style!
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1118 on: August 14, 2020, 12:20:42 PM »
You are right, Greylib. I'm not too unhappy with it. Hope the harassing PMs stop now, and i can finally say "FUCK" again! ;)

blumenkraft

« Reply #1119 on: August 14, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
Wow. So you admit that you are actively trying to get rid of the 1% you don't agree with?

No!

Andre Koelewijn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »

No!
This I find a great, small example of how things get misinterpreted on this forum and what got out of hand on the Covid-19-thread: FlowerPower only expressed his lack of respect for the 1%, and it's interpreted as actively trying to get rid of the opposing 1%

Anyway, good to see Shared Humanity back again, even if mainly on reading mode.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 14, 2020, 12:47:10 PM »

No!
Ok, so don't admit it. I know for a fact that you talk about certain members with other members behind their back in private messages. That is bad behaviour for a moderator, and I'm glad Neven took away your moderator privileges.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 14, 2020, 12:58:45 PM »
It is the job of the moderators to grow and expand the forum they moderate by being fair to all it's members.

It is not the job of moderators to excluding those they don't agree with.

Especially not when he's the boss...

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1123 on: August 14, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Ok, so don't admit it. I know for a fact that you talk about certain members with other members behind their back in private messages. That is bad behaviour for a moderator, and I'm glad Neven took away your moderator privileges.

Full disclosure:

I did talk with FG about if GlennBruck is the reincarnation of Phoenix. I told him that i don't think that. FG took great offense with me saying that and is harassing me via PM ever since.

FG is doing this for some time. Harassing me via PM, apologizes, and when i say something he doesn't like the harassing PMs start again. It should be obvious by now where neven got this ridiculous idea that i'm building some kind of movement here. That he is falling for this bullshit is stunning, but not surprising to me.

For the record, i don't engage in this kind of wire-pulling.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »

Full disclosure:

I did talk with FG about if GlennBruck is the reincarnation of Phoenix. I told him that i don't think that. FG took great offense with me saying that and is harassing me via PM ever since.

This Glennbuck dude registered his ID around the time Phoenix got kicked of the forum. Coincidence?

Hmm, but Phoenix deleted his account, didn't got kicked out.

I don't know, the Glenn guy has another writing style i think. Will watch it.

I didn't know he deleted it himself. He told me that he would delete it, but I didn't think he was serious about it.

Anyway... Glenn got registered around the same time Phoenix deleted his account. So I guess he just changed accounts.

I'm pretty sure Glenn is Phoenix. We'll know soon enough.

I'll have an eye on it.

That's what I did. You lie when you say I took offence with that. I got offended by you for exactly the reason Neven and me wrote down here in public today, that you are actively turning people against each other.

Now go and post the angry messages I wrote to you while I was drunk. Hangout the dirty laundry if you want, but stop lying!!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:36:00 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1125 on: August 14, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
Re:  the thread [COVID-19] be locked

Disagreed. That thread is a valuable compendium of information, with many links to data and research.

I suggest more of the commentariat use the 'Ignore' setting to improve their blood pressure. As a matter of fact, perhaps we should set the default for all commenters to to 'Everyone'. Then people can gradually allow other commenters into their awareness one by one by taking them off their ignore list. If a severe allergic reaction follows, then put the offending commenter back on the ignore list.

Sorta like using poison ivy for toilet tissue. After the first time ...

sidd
I still believe that Covid is a too important subject to have the different threads in different places on the forum. I really would put it at the same level than "science/consequences/policy and solutions/walking the walk/developers corner" so that different threads could be opened just like suggested by Oren in this comment https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2996.msg281077.html#msg281077
The "Mask" thread (The rest) should also be added, and we could have a context where the different subjects can be discussed.
I had stopped reading the Covid Thread because it contains many political debates which don't interest me. Just like "The Politics" has been taken out of "the rest", I think it would be a good idea here as well.
From all what I read, I just can't make up my mind about COVID19 and find it very sad that people are fighting about things where science just doesn't have an answer. Some politician compared COVID with cooking milk, it might go out of the pan, but it doesn't have to, and I believe that we  don't know what keeps the Covid-milk in the pan and what makes it go out, we have ideas and everybody is sure that he knows better. It's like when gardening, the same problem might have different solutions in different parts of the world because of the type of soil, how much rain falls... so if you have a solution and you don't have an overinflated self-confidence, you would say that something works in your garden, but not that you know how to solve the problem.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1126 on: August 14, 2020, 01:41:40 PM »
As it seems I am to be sole moderator of this section which includes the cesspool that is American politics , any perceived fails in forum decorum can be brought to my attention by using
1 , report to moderator , or 
2 , posting on this thread ..

to everyone .. enjoy the forum while trying to maintain decorum . b.c.

be cause
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:52:41 PM by be cause »
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 14, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
As it seems I am to be sole moderator of this section which includes the cesspool that is American politics , any perceived fails in forum decorum can be brought to my attention by using

Good luck! If I were you, I would remove American and other politics from this forum. There are other places to discuss this.

This is the Arctic Sea Ice forum. The discussion should be about the Arctic, the Sea, The Ice, and the Forum. Leave American politics out of it. We need to unite around the Global Climate Crisis, and not be divided by noise...

WTF happened?

Pmt111500

« Reply #1128 on: August 14, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »

be cause

Oh, are you brittish or american? What manner of dissing the american election system and their way of doing politics is allowed in the future?

Ah, Northern Ireland... What's your view on Brexit, chlorinated antibiotic chicken wings and the eventual unification of Ireland. Do you want it or would you rather kill members of Sinn Fein?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:12:13 PM by Pmt111500 »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1129 on: August 14, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »
Best of luck, b. c.

I appreciate all you guys do
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Pmt111500

« Reply #1130 on: August 14, 2020, 02:25:14 PM »
Best of luck, b. c.

I appreciate all you guys do

Too bad Blumenkraft quit. Might as well go to the background to see how the politics section transforms to support the neoliberalist agenda of melting ice in moderation so the coasts will drown more slowly than with republicans, who are at least consistent with their idea of disruption.

Logging out for a while at least. Probably will follow the Cryosphere-section still, but retyping the password might provide an additional check to limit my participation to the forum.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:38:55 PM by Pmt111500 »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 14, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »
does any of it really matter ? In a world of illusion , all things are what we make of them .
 Although I've stood for election , I haven't voted in the last 42 years ..
 I'm not a rat nor in a race . I'd much rather have a smoke with a politician than kill them .

peace b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 14, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
The drama is hilariously unnecessary. Just stick to the Cryosphere section. Most everything else is fodder, and easily found in virtually every single other forum on the entire internet.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1133 on: August 14, 2020, 06:13:21 PM »
This is the Arctic Sea Ice forum. The discussion should be about the Arctic, the Sea, The Ice, and the Forum. Leave American politics out of it. We need to unite around the Global Climate Crisis, and not be divided by noise...
Unfortunately, AGW is not only about arctic sea ice. I guess it is the COVID context that makes us all crazy. I see that everywhere and I understand it because the future is so unclear.

Politics is the only way to change things, so it makes sense to talk about it. Discussion without action doesn't make sense. I have found a presentation of the Youth International Catholic Workers that is interesting, but unfortunately only is in French and Spanish.
http://joci.org/fr/qui-sommes-nous/documents-fondamentaux-de-la-joci/26-declaration-de-principes-2.html

I  would find it very disappointing if all the"how to manage AGW" discussions would be removed of the forum. We should be able to respect one another even if we don't agree on the ways to go forward.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1134 on: August 14, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
I have to my regret not seen much rational feelings-free interaction in the moderators discussion.
I had tought that the new moderators have been in contact with each other to set a moderator protocol (to try to have consistent moderation) and use feedback: Discuss certain cases to learn and get better. I have much respect for the amount of effort and time that they put in!

I further want to say that blumenkraft is a really nice guy who's fighting on the good side and his so-called combatitive attitude (I see that too) doesn't change that.
Can we pretty please be friends again?

---
Freegrass, you were not helping and you display paranoia in my view. I think you should 'ground' yourself i.e. get solid reference points, use the scientific method for truth finding.

My apologies for this arrogant know-it-all style of writing.
be cause, thank you for taking over. I'm sure the lawn will be well kempt but not too well.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1135 on: August 14, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
The drama is hilariously unnecessary. Just stick to the Cryosphere section. Most everything else is fodder, and easily found in virtually every single other forum on the entire internet.

The AGW section has been a great source for me. Your exageration and complete trashing of the posts of those of us who participate often is quite unnecesary in this thread.

Also you quote Neven from his latest insult-laden post. Sad that so many insightful words and interesting thoughts by many board members are now considered trash by him. It isn't. I'm glad I found it.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

igs

« Reply #1136 on: August 14, 2020, 07:37:54 PM »
A very interesting while unpleasant and so human-typical page this is.

There are very few "bad guys" on this forum, less than 5 IMO, very very few. Most of the "combatants I've learned to see as people with dedication and good intentions, each of US with their flaws of course.

I recommend that the pinch of wisdom that is shining through in the last few posts be adopted by all you good guys.

If ever I have a real problem is when the manipulators of which as I said are very very few get away with their dirty play.

In my opinion the forum quality in general has improved recently. I feel very comfortable and there are so many good and smart people here.

I opted out of the COVID thread months ago because it's a useles attempt to hit the fear out of some and bang reason into others.

This is a great place to be so forgive the flaws and emphasize the vast amount of great stuff in here.

Have a nice weekend @all

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 14, 2020, 07:45:57 PM »

Your exageration and complete trashing of the posts of those of us who participate often
That's an exaggeration, honestly.

Also you quote Neven from his latest insult-laden post.
That's news to me. I don't see any quotes of Neven in my post history, either.

If ever I have a real problem is when the manipulators of which as I said are very very few get away with their dirty play.

In my opinion the forum quality in general has improved recently. I feel very comfortable and there are so many good and smart people here.

I opted out of the COVID thread months ago because it's a useles attempt to hit the fear out of some and bang reason into others.

This is a great place to be so forgive the flaws and emphasize the vast amount of great stuff in here.

Have a nice weekend @all
Great stuff. I agree wholeheartedly.

I tend to be quite curt when posting about this kind of forum stuff, so yeah that'll rub folks the wrong way. My apologies, but I won't change that, and it's because of my previous lengthy experience as a forum admin.

Time to go to the range, then stack some firewood, before hockey starts. Et le but!

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 14, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »

There are very few "bad guys" on this forum, less than 5 IMO, very very few. Most of the "combatants I've learned to see as people with dedication and good intentions, each of US with their flaws of course.

I recommend that the pinch of wisdom that is shining through in the last few posts be adopted by all you good guys.

Have a nice weekend @all
Why don't you post the private message you just send me here in the public forum? Why start gossip in private?

WTF happened?

igs

« Reply #1139 on: August 14, 2020, 09:02:34 PM »

Have a nice weekend @all
Why don't you post the private message you just send me here in the public forum? Why start gossip in private?

Very easy to answer, it's to avoid further discussions to no avail, but if you insist there is no problem.

I sent him via PM a message that says in general that I know that there are groups who exchange regular PMs to decide upon some user's to unify responses in away that makes it look like the guy is alone and all others don't like his approach/attitude.

Why I know that is from two sources, one is a PM from a person who knows such things because he is on the receiving end and then from time to time things look like a bit concerted, often to be confirmed in one or another way later.

So I wanted to be nice and give FG a heads-up without breaking loose another back and forth bickering and let hime know that this can happen and that he is not totally paranoid, this in response to someone who called him that. While sometimes there might be some to it, not in this case. Perhaps the fact this was not well taken has to to with one of my earlier replies to some doomsday-threads and posts which I do not support in that form at the time, who knows.

Of course I wanted to be kind and now I've been punished to see fit to reply to this again unncecessary escalation of a non-topic (small topic)

Further I believe PMs are more or less exactly for this purpose, to exchange thought that don't belong into public or that would derail a thread. I do that once in a while, for example I predicted Phoenix his fate on day 2 of his appearance but he didn't want to understand and it happened.

however i think i can live with it and as long as i learn from my mistakes I forgive myself and anyone else.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:00:28 AM by igs »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1140 on: August 14, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
I understand neven's wish to keep things in the open, but I have to say that as a humble poster here, watching the mods go at it is a bit like watching one's parents having a row. Not a completely comfortable feeling, but we can deal with it.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 14, 2020, 09:21:45 PM »
mountains & molehills

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1142 on: August 14, 2020, 10:21:24 PM »
mountains & molehills

Guess people are the same everywhere... Humans are humans after all.

I like the scientific and intelligent vibe the forum gives whenever I visit it. It feels like a special place to be. But there are fairly few threads that I regularly check. Mostly to get updates on Arctic ice.

Then just out of interest I read this thread here too, and, you see the other side as well. So why not use that scientific mindset as an inspiration to approach any topic in life? It shouldn't abandon you once you exit some of the 'comfortable' topics, where you are used to using it.

And if anyone is close to losing their heads, remember that we are all just a speck of dust on a cosmic arena. Our in-fighting fades into insignificance in the grand scheme of spacetime.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 14, 2020, 11:13:58 PM »
amen to that, jens

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 14, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »

Very easy to answer, it's to avoid further discussions to no avail, but if you insist there is no problem.

I sent him via PM a message that says in general that I know that there are groups who exchange regular PMs to decide upon some user's to unify responses in away that makes it look like the guy is alone and all others don't like his approach/attitude.

Why I know that is from two sources, one is a PM from a person who knows such things because he is on the receiving end and then from time to time things look like a bit concerted, often to be confirmed in one or another way later.

So I wanted to be nice and give FG a heads-up without breaking loose another back and forth bickering and let hime know that this can happen and that he is not totally paranoid, this in response to someone who called him that. While sometimes there might be some to it, not in this case. Perhaps the fact this was not well taken has to to with one of my earlier replies to some doomsday-threads and posts which I do not support in that form at the time, who knows.

Of course I wanted to be kind and now I've been punished to see fit to reply to this again unncecessary escalation of a non-topic (small topic)

Further I believe PMs are more or less exactly for this purpose, to exchange thought that don't belong into public or that would derail a thread. I do that once in a while, for example I predicted Phoenix his fate on day 2 of his appearance but he didn't want to understand and it happened.

however i think i can live with it and as long as i learn from my mistakes I forgive myself and anyone else.
I found it inappropriate to send me a private message like that while we're discussing the problem in the open here. I didn't want to go back and forward with you in private about this. That would be doing exactly the same thing as we are discussing here.

Now it's in the open. I appreciate you posted it here. Thank you.

WTF happened?

igs

« Reply #1145 on: August 15, 2020, 12:04:09 AM »
I respect your views while be assured that there was only good intention to give you some backing and as far as i can see i did not mention anyone specific or discrediting anyone.

I'm fine with this now since I'm fully aware the viewing angles and priorities are not the same for everyone.

:)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1146 on: August 15, 2020, 01:09:14 AM »
I had a couple guys gang up on me when I first started here, and almost left, but a couple other guys stood up for me.
I'm glad I stayed.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 15, 2020, 02:46:53 AM »
Heck Tom .. I thought I ganged up on you all on my own !
 .. and I'm glad you stayed too . bk was a good advocate ..
b.c.

Rod

« Reply #1148 on: August 15, 2020, 04:21:14 AM »
WOW! This forum is starting to look like a high school Facebook group!

The bickering and backstabbing and talks about cliques ganging up on people reminds me of when I was 17.

I suggested yesterday to cut the bull shit political threads loose from the Cryospere. There should be two separate forums.

My suggestion was met with lots of resistance. Thank you Oren for so far keeping this nonsense out of the melting thread.

Surprisingly, it seems that many of our members like the drama, and are opposed to separating the sea ice science from all of the nonsense. So, I will grab a beer and a bag of popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

The deniers are opening up their champagne because they can see this site is dying.

It is impossible for any outsider to take this forum seriously when some of the mods and the administrator are acting like children. All of the good posts in the melting thread are tarnished by the political agenda posts in the other threads. 

Maybe forums like this are no longer important because most people are now posting on twitter. That is sad if it is true.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I’m grabbing my popcorn and beer and waiting to see what happens next.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:34:08 AM by Rod »

Simon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 192
« Reply #1149 on: August 15, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »
I think you get a more considered and informed interpretation of data and also opinion on this forum that you would otherwise get on social media platforms.

Keep with it!