Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 389173 times)

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5252
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1450 on: November 01, 2020, 01:36:09 AM »
When I disappear, the internal angst is redirected to other posters
You have a very personal way of looking at things... and this very much a grandiose projection.
Indeed.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

gandul

« Reply #1451 on: November 01, 2020, 11:59:31 PM »
If nobody works, how does any work get done?
What about trained scientists?
The main forum has drifted off from citizen-science to chat room and copy/paste.
WTF is a citizen-scientist??? Really this guy expects he is going to collect an armada of citizen-scientists from the forum?? As a couple of examples, imagine a lawyer, or a decent mailman or a farmer completely untrained on math or image processing, I would feel so insulted, like I’d never post a single message in this forum with ass comments like that.
The forum event response?  Apathy, tl;dr, bury the message, copy/paste the same old same old like it was 2013. And this is a very interested micro-demographic! It seems wake-up calls don't wake anybody any more ... if so, climate chaos won't end with a bang but a brain-fog whimper.
Wow this guy is SO INSULTING, he believes his condition of expert on oceanography gives him the right to literally belittle and insult the entire forum. Yet, Oren, you give him many passes.

I’m going to tell you what. To me he is a slight fraud. Because Spring and Summer have given so many reasons to provide the epic Laptev open ocean extent during this fall, as many predicted (it is a question of logic) yet he insists and clings to the AW hypothesis probably because he’s involved in that work. The level of pettiness of constantly pushing that in this forum instead of in proper scientific forums... Then he rants and crybabies when somebody contradicts him or says something that he finds irrelevant or incorrect.

Well, from one of the insulted, 1700+ smartphone copy/paste ignorants to him, a flipped up finger to the entitled, arrogant asses of the world.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #1452 on: November 02, 2020, 01:43:14 AM »
In his own way, A-Team is trying to educate the forum and lift the level of discussion, and provide motivation for more heavy contribution. A commendable goal, though it sometimes comes with unfortunate insults. And yet gandul, there are ways of containing conflicts and there are ways of escalating conflicts, which you seem to be happy to choose, as I guess you consider yourself a freedom fighter or whatever. I'd rather all battle science with science, and try to ignore the insults, rather than wage flame wars. I often try to eliminate insults or soften them, but some I miss and some are difficult to edit properly. The responsibility is also on forum members to avoid reacting to irrelevant parts as much as possible.
Remember, you can always press "report to moderator" and explain, this will make sure I don't miss stuff, though not always a proper solution will be implemented.

On the bright side I find the recent level of science on the main threads to be quite high.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: November 02, 2020, 04:54:21 AM »
Amen to that, oren.

gandul

« Reply #1454 on: November 02, 2020, 07:22:33 PM »
In his own way, A-Team is trying to educate the forum and lift the level of discussion, and provide motivation for more heavy contribution. A commendable goal, though it sometimes comes with unfortunate insults. And yet gandul, there are ways of containing conflicts and there are ways of escalating conflicts, which you seem to be happy to choose, as I guess you consider yourself a freedom fighter or whatever. I'd rather all battle science with science, and try to ignore the insults, rather than wage flame wars. I often try to eliminate insults or soften them, but some I miss and some are difficult to edit properly. The responsibility is also on forum members to avoid reacting to irrelevant parts as much as possible.
Remember, you can always press "report to moderator" and explain, this will make sure I don't miss stuff, though not always a proper solution will be implemented.

On the bright side I find the recent level of science on the main threads to be quite high.

I’ve been very civil, I have modulated my tone on the forum during the past months. I did not escalate. How can you say that?
But if you think I am not going to respond to Dr. Ivory-Scientist-educates-lazy-monkeys because he’s obsessive with the Atlantic Water hypothesis when it has been “raining” the heat of the millennia  atmospherically and astronomically speaking over Siberia and Siberian seas now for eight straight months, well, sorry I will not shup up (still, with civility). I didn’t insult him in the main thread (at least not this year), but he did insult all of the forum, and you still wanna feel educated by the prick?

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2173
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #1455 on: November 03, 2020, 12:39:22 AM »
any chance of removing politics from the info centre?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1456 on: November 03, 2020, 12:45:51 AM »
uniquorn:
I suspect the problem will self resolve in a few days to a week (depending on how long it takes to count the mail in ballots).

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3517
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #1457 on: November 03, 2020, 12:48:36 AM »
^ Then we can start the American Civil War II thread  ::)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #1458 on: November 03, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »
^ Then we can start the American Civil War II thread  ::)
This Forum is feeling more and more like a death cult and ironically you are its defacto leader through promulgation of sheer corporate-derived ignorance and hatred on steroidal repeat. You have been weaponized by Bezos et al and no-one here is stopping you.

The latest treatment of Alex in the COVID thread and the insults by moderation.... and the dominance of the election in every thread. Oh wellllll

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 03, 2020, 01:49:16 AM »
bbr, you are funny in a pathetic sort of way.

Did kids laugh at you a lot when you were little?

Are they still laughing at you?
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: November 03, 2020, 02:01:37 AM »
bbr, you are funny in a pathetic sort of way.

Did kids laugh at you a lot when you were little?

Are they still laughing at you?
You are a mean person and I hope you change your ways. They did laugh at me. And you are just another bully like they were.

It is interesting that when confronted by one of "the laughers" as you have so tacitly admitted, there is no original thought behind the attacks, only groupthink and echo chambers.

I believe you were probably "laughed at" as well as a child, but you did not pursue an individualistic path thereafter, instead you sided with the group. That was your way of coping -- and that is fine. But here you are, in adulthood (I assume), and you are still condoning pointing and laughing at children... it is very sad, actually.  :(

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: November 03, 2020, 02:06:01 AM »
"You were probably bullied as a child!"

"Yes, I was bullied...."

"You deserved it then and you deserve it now and I hope it never stops"

^This is the conversation that was just had, and it is somehow acceptable. actually it is not just acceptable, it is condoned. It is condoned by posters here, it is condoned by moderators here, and I guess it is condoned by Neven as well.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 03, 2020, 03:10:23 AM »
If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

If you want to carry the baggage of childhood around for your entire lifetime, that's your choice.

A lifetime is long time.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #1463 on: November 03, 2020, 03:13:32 AM »
... and i was bullied too ..

.. and have found it a frequent occurrence since i volunteered to help blumenkraft moderate .

bbr , you know that you are here only 'cause the mods you so frequently abuse appealed to Neven not to banish you .. if you recall he wrote you ''I didn't want to let you back on the ASIF but the 'little Eichmanns' wanted to give you a fourth chance ...''

Uniquorn , I have already asked Neven and will do so again . Only he can act . I hope this time he does .

Gandul .. ' I have moderated my tone ' ..  followed by ' the prick ' ( your endearing term for A-team ) .. really ?

.. and as for 'A555hole' .. only one could have written such crap ..

b.c.

There is no death , the Son of God is We .

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1464 on: November 03, 2020, 06:41:32 AM »
^
I'm with be cause on this.
--

COVID-19 thread

kassy, I don't understand why Archimids posts are deleted moderated and the racist abusive lying post by A555h*le Alexander555 stays, of which you yourself posted that it was hogwash and politics.
(
)

Can you please explain the discrimination?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

gandul

« Reply #1465 on: November 03, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
... and i was bullied too ..

.. and have found it a frequent occurrence since i volunteered to help blumenkraft moderate .

bbr , you know that you are here only 'cause the mods you so frequently abuse appealed to Neven not to banish you .. if you recall he wrote you ''I didn't want to let you back on the ASIF but the 'little Eichmanns' wanted to give you a fourth chance ...''

Uniquorn , I have already asked Neven and will do so again . Only he can act . I hope this time he does .

Gandul .. ' I have moderated my tone ' ..  followed by ' the prick ' ( your endearing term for A-team ) .. really ?

.. and as for 'A555hole' .. only one could have written such crap ..

b.c.

I reported this A555 thing as an insult because I’ve been told to, not that I really care much about it, but the forum is supposed to become less and less lenient with insults, isn’t that correct?

I’ve not been insulting A-Team (never in the main threads), but he made insulting remarks just a few days ago, to me specifically and to the generality of the forum.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #1466 on: November 03, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »
Another attack on original analytical thought by Oren. He only wants regurgitation on this forum. It is offensive.

Well, that's a daft assertion.  Oren's post starts with "A-Team, your educational efforts and your analytic contributions are greatly appreciated, and have been served rather generously lately which makes me a very happy reader.'

This is the exact opposite of what you claim the moderator wants.  Yes, he does quibble with a few of A-Teams assertions about what's valuable or not.  A completely reasonable contrast of opinions, and not at all an attack.

However, your over the top mischaracterization of Orens's words actually is an attack on our esteemed moderator and is not supported by evidence--and thus is corrosive to the community many have built here.
Why do you say "our esteemed moderator" as if I hold oren's moderation in esteem? Please do not put words in my mouth, and speak for yourself.

I have no problem with oren as a poster but I think he is a bad moderator. I think he is overly empathetic and does not use logic in deciding what discussions to encourage and which to shut down. Empathy is a good trait but in moderation, and an abundance can be problematic when it comes to moderating (but is good re: life in general).

This is not corrosive to the community, this is a statement of opinion. I believe this style of moderation is corrosive to the community, and that is my opinion.

You grossly mischaracterized Oren's words and attacked him with that mischaracterization.  This matter has nothing to do with Oren's speculated personality.  Deflecting the conversation to someone's personality is a form of ad hominem attack.  Such repeated ad hominems are completely out of bounds on a discussion forum.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 03, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »
Another attack on original analytical thought by Oren. He only wants regurgitation on this forum. It is offensive.

Well, that's a daft assertion.  Oren's post starts with "A-Team, your educational efforts and your analytic contributions are greatly appreciated, and have been served rather generously lately which makes me a very happy reader.'

This is the exact opposite of what you claim the moderator wants.  Yes, he does quibble with a few of A-Teams assertions about what's valuable or not.  A completely reasonable contrast of opinions, and not at all an attack.

However, your over the top mischaracterization of Orens's words actually is an attack on our esteemed moderator and is not supported by evidence--and thus is corrosive to the community many have built here.
Why do you say "our esteemed moderator" as if I hold oren's moderation in esteem? Please do not put words in my mouth, and speak for yourself.

I have no problem with oren as a poster but I think he is a bad moderator. I think he is overly empathetic and does not use logic in deciding what discussions to encourage and which to shut down. Empathy is a good trait but in moderation, and an abundance can be problematic when it comes to moderating (but is good re: life in general).

This is not corrosive to the community, this is a statement of opinion. I believe this style of moderation is corrosive to the community, and that is my opinion.

You grossly mischaracterized Oren's words and attacked him with that mischaracterization.  This matter has nothing to do with Oren's speculated personality.  Deflecting the conversation to someone's personality is a form of ad hominem attack.  Such repeated ad hominems are completely out of bounds on a discussion forum.
??? I did not attack oren's personality I said he has a good personality which is why he is not a good moderator

Another functionally illiterate poster on a "science" Forum, oh dear.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 03, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »
. and bbr , your other attack on a 'functionally illiterate poster' was purely that , so deleted . b.c.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 03, 2020, 08:57:29 PM »

??? I did not attack oren's personality I said he has a good personality which is why he is not a good moderator

Another functionally illiterate poster on a "science" Forum, oh dear.

No, ad hominem means to the person.  It's not acceptable in such discussions to move the focus to a person you're in a discussion with.  It doesn't matter whether you're damning someone's personality with faint praise.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: November 04, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
Good morning.

This was posted by Alexander555 in the COVID-19 thread:
(bolding by me)
"We have a tread about a drug addicted violent homejacker like George Phloyed[sic]"

This was allowed to stand . . . . . . .
But I cannot stand it being allowed to stand as someone who has posted in the George Floyd thread and stands firmly with the oppressed. I'd thought that I was not alone.

If this still stands tomorrow, I'll make a stand and will peacefully protest by not participating for a while. If I can find the motivation again.

kassy I believe that you are the moderator of the COVID-19 thread. Your level of morality and justice shines through in your moderating acts. I find it shocking that you think that the quoted sentence is okay on this forum. In this way YOU select the forummembers. The moaners and flames stay and the silent good ones leave. This has nothing to do with my appreciation of the other efforts you put in as moderator and contributor. I don't think that you're bad as a person, nothing like that is intended.

See how a couple of emotionally- and personality-challenged members are taking up so much of your time (and ours) and effort and lower the general tone, readbility and quality of the forum by doing that. When someone is on a third try, I would be much harder on them and not allow any transgressions or it is into the corner again. Why not ask Neven for help with moderating issues? He's experienced here and you could learn from him.

Without naming them as trolls specifically (but I believe they are, difficult to explain here), their behaviour is very succesfull in destabilising the site and dragging the fiends-feelings down; invoking emotions and people taking sides and more.

I'm still disgusted by Alexander's post.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1471 on: November 04, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »
Good morning.

(bolding by me)
"We have a tread about a drug addicted violent homejacker like George Phloyed[sic]"

This was allowed to stand . . . . . . .
But I cannot stand it being allowed to stand as someone who has posted in the George Floyd thread and stands firmly with the oppressed. I'd thought that I was not alone.

If this still stands tomorrow, I'll make a stand and will peacefully protest by not participating for a while. If I can find the motivation again.

kassy I believe that you are the moderator of the COVID-19 thread. Your level of morality and justice shines through in your moderating acts. I find it shocking that you think that the quoted sentence is okay on this forum. In this way YOU select the forummembers. The moaners and flames stay and the silent good ones leave. This has nothing to do with my appreciation of the other efforts you put in as moderator and contributor. I don't think that you're bad as a person, nothing like that is intended.

See how a couple of emotionally- and personality-challenged members are taking up so much of your time (and ours) and effort and lower the general tone, readbility and quality of the forum by doing that. When someone is on a third try, I would be much harder on them and not allow any transgressions or it is into the corner again. Why not ask Neven for help with moderating issues? He's experienced here and you could learn from him.

Without naming them as trolls specifically (but I believe they are, difficult to explain here), their behaviour is very succesfull in destabilising the site and dragging the fiends-feelings down; invoking emotions and people taking sides and more.

I'm still disgusted by Alexander's post.

+1 on that sentence being allowed to remain.
I said nothing mostly because I thought it would be removed for a number of reasons.

The blatant hate speech that is happening in the Covid thread is ridiculous.
It seems okay to throw Nazi around for reasons that don't make sense.... and it is the same people doing it after they were told to stop it.

Several people are baiting others, the rubbish not just individuals but the entire forum should their opinions be pushed back on with evidence.... and their idea of evidence comes from far right sources and Murdock media (a well-known political influencer,  climate denier and Covid hoax promoter and Non-White hater)

Normally it is okay to let things slip, it exposes the haters of the world to see them rant, but when is enough, enough?

A few members need to be banned, they are only here to argue their unbackable opinions and run down others while trying to make themselves look like some sort of genius or something and play victim along the way.

The hate talk is becoming a derailing factor in the Covid thread in particular. If those people want to talk politics, take it elsewhere.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1472 on: November 04, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »
Good morning.

(bolding by me)

For some reason no one just reported the post...that might have helped, especially if everyone that commented did that.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 04, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
"For some reason no one just reported the post"

I did 'report to moderator'. A couple of minutes before my post above.
And I share with you the surprise that no one else reported it.

Enough is the moment when non-flaming non-moaning people feel 'uncomfortable' with the fighting and flaming and accusing and name-calling and nigh on constant moaning. Some 'pruning' needs to be done to put out the flames. There are always more trolls than one thinks. Because this is a high-level site about science and truth, the trolls are more sophisticated. I expect some of them to have an expert team in the background. Nobody can check if it is the forummember that posesses the knowledge.

Let run free, evil always wins. Lies are stronger than truth. It's so much easier to destroy than to construct. Be vigilant and strict.
You know this saying kassy "zachte heelmeesters maken stinkende wonden" ;).

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1474 on: November 04, 2020, 12:25:31 PM »
For those of us who do not speak Dutch, Google Translate says this means "Gentle surgeons make smelly wounds".

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: November 04, 2020, 08:43:09 PM »
Received no reports. Anyone else filed one in that thread/AGWIG subforum in the last couple of days?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
« Reply #1476 on: November 04, 2020, 10:54:19 PM »
This forum is a compilation of children...

When I handed a solution with Olivine, the response here was dismal... Ignored... because of personal issues...

I guess most idiots here are only here for an ego trip...
There are no solutions here. Only bickering and ego trips...

Humans...
What a bunch of idiots...

My apologies to the handful of users that do try to make a difference!
They are few, and under attack constantly by the brainless idiots on an ego trip...

90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 05, 2020, 12:04:35 AM »
Well that speech will sure win you some hearts.  ::)

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 05, 2020, 12:41:56 AM »
I was never here to win hearts... I'm here for information about the planet and was trying to contribute within my own restrictions... But what's the use? I was so happy A-team was back, but I don't think that'll last long with all the resident ego trippers...
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: November 05, 2020, 01:33:20 AM »
Well that speech will sure win you some hearts.  ::)
I'm still pissed off at you for deleting the cannabis thread I started that was then immediately reproduced by someone else and is now as dead as a doornail...

Why wasn't I allowed this thread?
Why did you kill it?

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: November 05, 2020, 03:24:04 AM »
FG, be aware i have removed some of your posts.
When you are drunk and high you should not post at all, this is against forum decorum (and common sense as well).

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1481 on: November 05, 2020, 04:39:05 AM »
The problem is that when you are drunk and high you don’t have common sense.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 05, 2020, 06:00:39 AM »
Good morning.
Yesterday I wrote
 "If this still stands tomorrow, I'll make a stand and will peacefully protest by not participating for a while. If I can find the motivation again."  - referring to Alexander555's post in the COVID-19 thread.

I see that it still stands. This is no place for me any longer.

Bye.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1483 on: November 05, 2020, 07:22:10 AM »
Please come back soon!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 05, 2020, 04:18:29 PM »
Good morning.
Yesterday I wrote
 "If this still stands tomorrow, I'll make a stand and will peacefully protest by not participating for a while. If I can find the motivation again."  - referring to Alexander555's post in the COVID-19 thread.

I see that it still stands. This is no place for me any longer.

Bye.

Silence is golden. 

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #1485 on: November 05, 2020, 09:17:13 PM »
Funny how I'm still on moderation...
(But I don't mind much. It makes me feel safer from commenting stupidly and I think twice to minimize moderator work.)

[Copy of earlier now deleted comment stuck in moderation :) ]
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: November 05, 2020, 10:03:55 PM »
The biggest egos are the ones throwing temper tantrums in this thread. I find this amusing.

It's just the internet, relax.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1487 on: November 06, 2020, 02:05:12 AM »
I've had some trouble with nanning, mostly my fault.
I will miss him, but if he feels it is better for his emotional health to leave us, than that is his prerogative and I wish him well.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1488 on: November 06, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
Immigration laws are nationalist socialists policies.

Neither nationalists nor socialists enjoy that truth.

I'll ascribe the reason for the lopsided moderation to that little fact.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 06, 2020, 10:46:07 AM »
Nazis again Archimid? Very tiresome.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1490 on: November 06, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
no more tiresome than the occasional racist post, for some of us. The days I tire of fighting them I will feel ashamed, but can't carry that, so WYSIWYG.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 06, 2020, 11:59:56 AM »
suddenly I find I can access internet again .. so .. please ff / martin .. appeal to neven .. only he can unmod you .. I already asked ages ago .. I have no wish to see your or the walrus' posts awaiting moderation .. they do not need it unlike some others that are not in moderation ... b.c.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 07, 2020, 11:58:25 PM »
when is a troll not a troll ? When he trolls the ASIF ... b.c.

gandul

« Reply #1493 on: November 08, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »
when is a troll not a troll ? When he trolls the ASIF ... b.c.

From the definition of Aslan
Troll is for someone flooding the forum with the same argument over and over, ignoring the contributions of the others members.
then A-Team would be the perfect troll:
- takes a thread by storm
- obsessed with the same argument over and over, fills up ad nauseam with content that sometimes is relevant, many times is just extremely quality gifs eventually to fall into forgetfulness
- ignores what is not aligned with his obsessions, and has a shuttering effect on the conversation of the rest because his stuff is more often than not over the head of the rest. He has despised and characterized the contributions of most as “copy/paste”. Shuttering effect.

Still I don’t consider him a troll, so long as he doesn’t try to persecute me or suppress my opinion.

I post typically once per day in a given thread, sometimes more, often none. That qualifies for “flooding the forum”?

So, be..cause, apart from your one-liner, not that funny as usual, kinda trolling actually, do you have a more articulated definition of a troll for this forum?

Wikipedia
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

is what Oren is moderating and I think is doing good.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:19:28 PM by gandul »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: November 08, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
Received no reports. Anyone else filed one in that thread/AGWIG subforum in the last couple of days?

It was broken, thanks.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 09, 2020, 09:40:02 PM »
Guys could we please end this off-topic for this thread?
Oren, Gandul, JD, Aslan, etc. please let's keep the focus on the 2020 freezing season.
Gandul, you couldn't shut up could you? Valuable contributors are leaving the thread, again.
((my bold))
Mission accomplished? A common tactic online these days, and next to impossible to discern. Fatal disruption via paper cuts is a thing.

Modding isn't fun.

[edit] (I'm only using this as an example, not necessarily as a direct & specific accusation against Gandul)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 10:42:41 PM by HapHazard »

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 10, 2020, 12:49:27 PM »
vox_mundi is the worst poster on this board and he derails everything he participates in with "news" that is anything but. the COVID thread is out of control, apparently dolphins and whales are going to get the virus, it is all trump's fault, and if we don't genocide all the minks we are all going to die.

this forum has become an absurd parody of itself. i suppose that is apropo when the "science" on which it was founded is no longer debated or advanced, and instead, corporate news is spammed into every thread in an effort to crush all actual discourse. now, questioning "science" and attempting to advance understanding is akin to questioning the Pope or whatever before the Renaissance.

and thanks to oren and kassy, it is working!

it is very tragic that science has replaced religion and dogma may now be even stronger than it was back then. and the flagellating followers now (vegans, vox_mundi, and others) are perhaps even worse than the ones of the 1400s or whatever because at least those people did not have access to the internet....

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1497 on: November 10, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »
The biggest egos are the ones throwing temper tantrums in this thread. I find this amusing.

It's just the internet, relax.

Human psychology is quite interesting, isn't it. It looks like everyone has their own definition of an 'ego'. Also people are quick to recognize the egos of other people, but not their own.

Often it seems to boil down to "anyone having a different opinion to mine is an ego". Well... the world is one. All opinions - whether justified or not - are part of the world. You are just one human being out of 7.7 billion currently on the planet. Do not make yourself more important than who you are in the overall context.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 10, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »
vox_mundi is the worst poster on this board

Forget to beat your dog again today, bbr?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1499 on: November 10, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »
If you think vox_mundi's news posts on the Covid thread are biased, bbr2315, you are more than welcome to post your own balanced ones.