Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384370 times)

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »
Remember our conversation in the Corporate Democrats thread? I backed off when you admitted a couple of simple things, which made me understand better where you were coming from, even though I still disagreed with you.
Yes, I remember.  You were hostile from the start because you assumed (as Lurk loves to point out) that I couldn't admit what you wanted me to.  You made assumptions about me, and lumped me with the rest of team MSNBC.  This goes back to my reply to sidd.  It's not necessarily only our views that create teams.  It's our attitudes and how they color our perceptions.  My attitude was not great in that thread either.  I started out hostile as well.  My complaints aren't about me, or making a case that I'm better than anyone.  My complaints are about the state of the forum, of which I am a part.  I'm in favor of joining together on team human.  Unfortunately I don't think that's a possibility in The Rest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:54:46 PM by sedziobs »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2019, 08:35:01 AM »
On another thread Neven stated:

"I would kindly ask you to go find some other place to do your thing. I think it would be better for you, and it would definitely be a lot better for me, because it's wearing me out and I don't want to quit this project just yet.

Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitter, the mainstream media, Corporate Leftists around the world, and even rehabilitated neocons, they're all with you to make things reality."

Whereupon some pearl clutching ensued, I gather, tho i missed most of it being sheltered by killfile.

Please guys and gals and those of other genders:

This is Neven's house. He has stated repeatedly that evidence based argument on the science threads are open to all, and he has acted in accordance. He has also repeatedly stated that he will moderate social/political threads, and he has done so. Apparently that annoys some who imagine this forum is their pulpit.

It is not. Start you own blog if you wanna post without moderation. Or find a forum on goofacetwit more to your taste. Stop bitching at Neven.

That's like going into a party and repeatedly pissing on the carpet after your host has asked you multiple times to quit, and then screaming at him for not letting you continue.

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2019, 11:54:39 PM »
"hey,easy there kids. make sure you don't get angry. Don't resort to tribalism. Take some time and listen to the democrats and republicans too. I know it sucks that my generation robbed you of your future, but just make sure you maintain decorum"
So fucken well said!

------------------------

My problem with the polit threads is not the decorum.
(
I am an advocate and activist of violent communication (and I can take a cordial "fuck you"). Some people in the public space can only be convinced by shame. (However, it is a tightrope: Violent communication is only effective when fact based and logical.) That's why there still is climate denialism and inactivism out there: In the last 20 years of climate "debate" I heard/read the wörd "bullshit" only one single time...
)

What irks me in the polit forums are the low standards of evidence and truth exhibited by some, incl. Neven. And the radical oversimplification of things (most often from Neven). This isn't about theory (Neven) vs. pragmatism (Martin). Oversimplified theories don't work, period, just like overcomplex theories. And more: the tolerance of bullshit and of known bullshit sources (like Russia Today). Who bullshits in science is dead as a scientist. Not so in the polit forums.

What is desperately needed in today's world is to try to apply the standards of scientific discourse to polit disourse.

---------------------
Apropos Valentine's Day,

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:23:50 AM by Martin Gisser »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
she·moz·zle
Dictionary result for shemozzle
/SHəˈmäzəl/
nouninformal
noun: schemozzle

a state of chaos and confusion; a muddle.
    "the debate about climate change and how to deal with it is a shemozzle"

Origin
late 19th century: Yiddish, suggested by late Hebrew šel-lō'-mazzāl ‘of no luck’.

Martin Gisser

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:39:09 PM by Martin Gisser »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:39 PM »
I have noticed an increase in accusations of posters being deniers, trolls and sock puppets. In some cases, their crimes seem to be not embracing catastrophism, of not lending enough credence to the worst possible outcomes.

This does not help discussion. It is entirely possible that the worst will occur. But it is also entirely possible that it will not, our current state of knowledge does not rule out either case. Especially since so much depends on human action to address climate change or the lack thereof.

Such accusations are counterproductive, at least to convince me of the catastrophist case. Reading such repeated attacks usually leads to the accusers winding up in my killfile.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2019, 12:02:05 AM »
I haven't noticed, but I'm not following all the threads (which would be nigh impossible). If it gets out of hand, please, let me know.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tim

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2019, 12:15:23 AM »
sidd, please put me in your kill file.

Pagophilus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2019, 10:36:46 PM »
I haven't noticed, but I'm not following all the threads (which would be nigh impossible). If it gets out of hand, please, let me know.

Hi Neven,

First, thanks for the forum (I really like and value it) and all you do.  The melting thread is way better than last year in my view, when multiple posters were overly aggressive, underinformed, unwilling to learn and ludicrously hyperbolic.   

But issues still arise, and I have to agree with sidd.  I see posters such as Klondike Kat and Michael Hauber in particular advancing reasonable, well-supported arguments that go just a little against the grain of catastrophist arguments, and they are then sneered at for being denier trolls. 

The degree of seeming bitterness and verbal aggression towards people who may have a different and often more nuanced view of the melting of the ice is surprising to me.  It is also counter-productive on a scientific level.  I view those who reasonably challenge the ideas of others as essential to any serious intellectual discussion.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:42:35 PM by Pagophilus »
You may delay, but time will not.   Benjamin Franklin.

magnamentis

« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2019, 02:26:26 AM »

Hi Neven,

First, thanks for the forum (I really like and value it) and all you do.  The melting thread is way better than last year in my view, when multiple posters were overly aggressive, underinformed, unwilling to learn and ludicrously hyperbolic.   

But issues still arise, and I have to agree with sidd.  I see posters such as Klondike Kat and Michael Hauber in particular advancing reasonable, well-supported arguments that go just a little against the grain of catastrophist arguments, and they are then sneered at for being denier trolls. 

The degree of seeming bitterness and verbal aggression towards people who may have a different and often more nuanced view of the melting of the ice is surprising to me.  It is also counter-productive on a scientific level.  I view those who reasonably challenge the ideas of others as essential to any serious intellectual discussion.   

agree except if those different opinion end in themselves, means to be different is the purpose without further purpose.

IMO one can recognize such posters if 99.9% of their post are way off common sense or mutual understandings. i.e. new ice ages around the corner or swiss-cheese like greenland cooling the norther hemisphere etc. and again, if each and every post raises eyebrows or the heart-beat.

sometimes to judge a content it's necessary to know the history and/or the general approach of a poster. there are good guys who miss the mark at times and there are provoking spirits who disrupt each and any useful argument.

even though my grandma taught me that we can ask anything in case we don't shy the reply, i learned that most people indeed shy the replies because there questions are no questions but statements that are either seeking confirmation or even evil minded to simply upset the readers.

we all lose it from time to time (most of us to be fair) and then some do the above so often that it looks like on purpose, especially if they proof to be resistant towards and well meant hints and recommendation as to a bit of fine tuning.

Rod

« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2019, 12:45:13 AM »
Regarding the discussion on the “Test space” thread, would it be possible to create a sticky thread in the Arctic Sea Ice section and only allow A-Team and possibly a few others to post there?

I think that would address A-Team’s concerns. 

In an open forum it seems almost impossible to police comments without completely chilling discussion.   

I think you do a good job of banning people when it becomes necessary.  But it is impossible to make everyone happy with everyone else’s posts.   

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2019, 01:16:37 AM »
A Team is to valuable to lose to the forum.
Maybe a dedicated thread restricted to a few chosen ones  for his input is warranted. With a parallel thread for the rest of us to gibber about A Teams output without anyone having to wade though our noise to access his pearls of wisdom.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

magnamentis

« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2019, 01:47:12 AM »
the underlying thoughts and the resulting nomenclature would have fit the USSR very well.

further glorification of single entities or small groups keeps new contributions out and ultimately leads to degeneration and downfall of entire cultures.

fanboyism should not have a place in such a forum IMO. it's already interesting to see 3 people making the same statement while one gets ignored, the other get's hyped and another something in the middle.

may i remind you that this kind of behaviour is part of the problem with which we are dealing in this forum ?

why do you you think that it's so high on human agendas to become rich and powerful ?

because they stupid majority rewards the rich, the famous and the powerful and disrespects the honest, the ethical and the peaceful "losers"

Rod

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2019, 01:59:23 AM »
the underlying thoughts and the resulting nomenclature would have fit the USSR very well

I am simply suggesting a way to keep the peace.  I agree 100% with your sentiment, but it would be a loss to the forums if A-Team quit posting. 

Now, at risk of being banned, I will say that in my profession I deal with environmental experts almost everyday.  The ones who are so insecure that they constantly need their egos stroked are usually not very good. 

magnamentis

« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2019, 02:49:46 AM »
the underlying thoughts and the resulting nomenclature would have fit the USSR very well

I am simply suggesting a way to keep the peace.  I agree 100% with your sentiment, but it would be a loss to the forums if A-Team quit posting. 

Now, at risk of being banned, I will say that in my profession I deal with environmental experts almost everyday.  The ones who are so insecure that they constantly need their egos stroked are usually not very good.

a little allegory:

if a creature is looking for spouse / interested in a potential partner and is not successful, did that creature encounter a loss?

IMO no because a spouse/partner that does not love the other is not the right spouse hence if a relationship does not get beyond a certain point it's not a loss but a profit.

further we can't lose what we don't own.

Making a full stop here before getting too much distracted, i got your point/meaning and find it very much ok that you set priorities slightly elsewhere than i do.

for me ethics and systemic things are more important than anything else because only if we humans CHANGE our way to see things, stop to compete, stop to compare except for learning etc. stop to try to get more for less, only then will things get better in the future, else we are continuing heading from one disaster to the next and  open new holes while repairing old ones.

mankind is kind of ponzi-scheme, trying to fix something and permanently opening another pandora's box.

Rod

« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2019, 03:01:24 AM »
You lost me on that one Mag 😝. 

I fully expect Neven will ban me when he wakes up because I insulted A-Team. 

There are lots of long time posters on this forum who consider him untouchable.  I have been suing polluters for almost 20 years to try and make our world a better place.  I would like to know what they have done. 

I do not want to insult A-Team, but his attitude is terrible.  I have never seen his CV, and the subject matter he posts on this forum is not as good has he thinks it is. 

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that the climate trolls are winning.  They are causing disruption to our forum during an important point in time, and A-Team is helping them.

Such a sad day 😥

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2019, 03:22:07 AM »
A-Team is highly respected on this forum not because of his attitude or his supposed CV, but because of his unparalleled scientific, analytic and image-processing contributions. Forum Decorum would dictate not lashing out at such posters.

Rod

« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2019, 03:30:24 AM »
Oren, he lashed out at everyone!  There are lots of people who post things that I don’t agree with, but I try to fight them with facts!  I don’t say they should be banned from posting. 

This is about a public forum with people who have different views.  Some are likely trolls and we can weed those out.  But legitimate posters who have questions (even if they are silly) should be allowed to participate in these forums. 

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2019, 03:37:32 AM »
I have found A-team a kind and considerate friend in the pm world over the years I have enjoyed sharing this forum .. me with my thoughts and asides .. he with his talents and the will to use them in the service of mankind in finding means to better see our destruction of the Arctic sea ice so retrospectively the world will have the facility to see and understand the detail . Do I see his detractors do the same ?
  b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Rod

« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2019, 03:48:20 AM »
Did you even read his post in the Test section?  I’m on my phone and can’t copy it to this thread.

But WTH?   I’m done. 

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2019, 03:52:20 AM »
A-Team is highly respected on this forum not because of his attitude or his supposed CV, but because of his unparalleled scientific, analytic and image-processing contributions. Forum Decorum would dictate not lashing out at such posters.

Completely agree.  A-Team, over a number of years, has presented extraordinary work here.  Some apparently plagiarized by other research authors.  We're greatly privileged to have some of his contributions.

He's only requested a resolution to a problem that Neven and many others have complained about--important, central threads being derailed and clogged by thoughtless members.  We have other threads for all those posts.  If a very busy, expert, valuable member is irritated enough to leave, than I'm sure others feel the same way--most would just leave without telling us why.  It would be a shame to have that happen.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2019, 03:53:18 AM »
Well Rod, you have joined in 2018. About 5 years after A-team and others. Memory can be a rather short given where the state of data and data analysis were back then. A-Team might have a unique style and very little patience with fools, but so are many others among us however his contributions are superior. In the era of the quick comment and blog and tweet everybody thinks themselves on par with experts. D-K in practice.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2019, 06:10:52 AM »
Steve wrote: "If a very busy, expert, valuable member is irritated enough to leave, than I'm sure others feel the same way"

Count me among the irritated others, tho probably few would miss my sorry @$$ if I walked, or even notice! :)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2019, 06:59:40 AM »
mankind is kind of ponzi-scheme, trying to fix something and permanently opening another pandora's box.
I liked your last two great posts.
A small correction:
"mankind" consists of more than just civilisation. The 'other mankind' is nothing like a Ponzi-scheme. Please see civlisation, the 'bubble', as the exploded result of the initial conquering agricultural tribes. There are/were peaceful tribes.
I think it is important to be aware of this 'bubble'.
sorry for the off-topic.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
I've often thought about setting up a special thread for a select group of Arctic observers, but I'm not sure it would work as others envision. All the things that happen on a forum are inevitable up to a point. It's just part of the package, and as sidd says: use killfile to ignore people. I can't do that too much because I have to keep an eye on things, but I skim and shrug off a lot. Gold is always surrounded by lots of mud.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
Mankind is just a  smart ape.
Get us together in groups and  jockeying for position in the hierarchy and some resulting conflict is preordained behavour.
When you add that intelligence is correlated to social dysfunction it is actually surprising that this forum is as respectful and productive as it is.
At the lest effort is made to thrash out differences and create resolution to conflicts even if it is not successful.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Oh my, i hate this situation atm.

A-Team has a point. The melting season thread has become useless. No more worth digging, there's just too much mud. *mark as read* - the gold is gone.

How do we gain thread discipline again?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
The issue as i see it is that some posters object to their posts being seen juxtaposed with those of other posters. Perhaps they need something called a "diary" on other sites, where they can disallow comments if they wish.

Or of course, they could get their own blog and put in a link to it here.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »
The melting season thread has become useless.

Absolute nonsense, it is as it has always been. A-Team has been on hiatus before because of it.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »
That it has become useless is not nonsense. It's a fact. Who has the time to read all that useless chatter?

It might be nonsense that it's a new phenomenon, but this is not what i said.

johnm33

« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »
Is it possible to give individuals the power to delete posts on specific topics, A-Team on test space, or uniquorn on arctic ocean salinity temperature and waves being examples?

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
Every idea that's keeping Neven's workload low is a good idea.

Rich

« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
Why is this discussion playing out in public? Can't A-Team simply contact Neven and inform him directly what he requires in order to continue participating here? Neven can say yes or no, right?

It seems like the tricky part is drawing the line between accommodating elite posters and making the topic of Arctic sea ice accessible for ordinary people to learn.

It seems that A-Team has the Test Space thread and can start an advanced discussion thread if he chooses. If he doesn't want the proletariat commenting people will probably honor that w/o heavy handed moderation.

I'm going to tip my cap to Neven for creating and guiding a community which has been a great place for a newbie like myself to learn. I'll also compliment A-Team for creating and sharing some fantastic content.
I hope he finds a way to get his needs met.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Why is this discussion playing out in public?

Why can't they?

You have no problem with stating your opinion publicly.

In fact, your stating your uneducated opinion publicly all the time is part of why we have this discussion, let not forget that.

I really appreciate your apology. Stay humble, please.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
I first sent a message to this forum a few years ago. Saying how much I love sharing knowledge, which is what has made us special as an animal. If you have an open space like this you'll get people with a lot of knowledge and others like me, always wanting to know more. Conscious of how the volume of my ignorance grows with the radius of my knowledge.
My personal situation, I lost my eco-farm and house, now living in an old mountain stone barn, 25sq meters, without any income, living on nature and some savings, has made me stay away from this forum actively. Kept reading all of it when I could. Now I've managed the cheapest satellite connection and can throw my two pence in.
I did suffer the violent speech of people like Hyperion or Lurk(s). Everyone knows that's not what keeps the health of a group.
I did and do suffer because of A-team's ego. Arrogance, contempt, egotism, should not be well accepted. They also harm any healthy group. There is a little line separating well intended sharing of knowledge and simply trying to show off. I'm afraid A-team has a big problem concerning his personality and what he thinks of others.
There're a few posts in this forum showing how elitism is damaging our society. IMHO elitism would harm this forum as well.
If we are worried about Earth future, (we're included), should NOT we try to TEACH what we know? Or should we?
My intention is not insulting anyone.
(My love to Bruce Steel and a few others)

Rich

« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »
Why is this discussion playing out in public?

Why can't they?

You have no problem with stating your opinion publicly.

In fact, your stating your uneducated opinion publicly all the time is part of why we have this discussion, let not forget that.

I really appreciate your apology. Stay humble, please.

It's not a crime to be uneducated and seek out knowledge.

I certainly screwed up yesterday in the way I went about it. I''m human. I apologized. I'll do better.

As someone who contributed to a problem, my post in this thread is meant to contribute to a solution. You ask me to be humble, I ask you to be gracious.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
You got it, Rich! :)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2019, 11:35:56 PM »
I'm willing to give A-Team a stickied thread of his own in the Arctic Sea Ice category, with only people invited by him to be able to post there. I need to find out how to do that (maybe someone already knows), but I guess it should be possible via permissions.

I've looked into this before a few weeks ago, but couldn't find an easy way to do this. I'll look into it again.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2019, 12:24:01 AM »
Neven,

can't you see what they are doing to your wonderful forum? Embracing you with all their good wills, positive comments and loads of crap in between.

Discussion is fine, when there is genuine uncertainty, but letting this uncontrolled bantering go on for ever, is a genuine pain in the a.. for most hard-working people.

Why - for instance - is Bob W. still allowed to promote gas fired power plants on this forum?

Why are Rod, Rich, JohnM33, Nanning  and KiwiGriff for instance being allowed to go on forever about nearly every subject remotely attached to genuine Arctic concerns?

It's about time to put a full stop to all this rubbish taking too much of our time to read. I fully agree with A-Team that enough is enough.

Time to put a tax on meaningless clutter, ridiculous banter, wasted server capacity and idiotic ideas. It must be possible to calculate a direct tax on cloud services. Too many words, too fancy pictures, unneccessary videos and BitCoin-backed polls should carry a heavy fine (to be collected by your bank).

All the best

P

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
No need for a new thread .. no A-team or Uniquorn .. b,c,
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2019, 01:05:07 AM »
Regardless, I for one won't be posting to the melting thread again, at least unless and until there is community agreement about what is allowed there. Seems to annoy too many people and I have very little to say other than uninformed speculation and troll fighting (futile). There are plenty of other threads.

Ideas for the melting thread: How about limiting the allowed number of posts per user per day and requiring that any follow-ups (maybe except the first) be posted to a dedicated follow-ups thread (with a link to the followup pasted into the original post). People interested in it can click, others can easily scroll down.

Myself I didn't even realize that there was a problem until A-Team suddenly got angry and stormed out of the (other) room. Probably I'm not the only one caught unawares. Just making reasonable (and ideally non-elitist) rules and reminding people of them occasionally might fix most of the the problem.

Sterks

« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:37 AM »
Another dramatic exit by our most revered scientist.
Neven, this forum is yours, but I personally find very strange that:
- A member demands other members to be expelled en masse, otherwise he's gone. He can be the pope of Math & Physics, I don't care, he does not have the right, or he should not. And anyway, if he doesn't like the forum he could create one of his own.
- A thread may be created with exclusivity, invitations, privilege (well, he invaded the Test Space and stayed there with almost exclusivity, nobody was bothering His Majesty). What is that, like an Internet of two speeds, one for Royalty and another for the vulgars?
- The melting season thread is just fine, if there weren't so many triggers (people respond less to comments they don't like, including me), and yes, Neven talks to a couple of members. But, except for the triggering, I feel things are going relatively fine.

I profoundly dislike A-Team, now that he went public with the drama and explicitly demanded people be expelled. He is an elitist and almost everything is shit for him. Well DEAL WITH IT, if you have IQ 160 you have to learn to live with 99.73% more idiots than you. Yes I love his contributions, but lately I even forgot the damn Test Space. And Uniquorn is just as brilliant (if not the same person), and a nice member.
(I posted this wrongly in the A-Team Space)

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2019, 01:37:13 AM »
We expect more of some people because they are extraordinary in a particular area ? We should expect more of all... both sides of the spectrum... didn't see the outrage with Lurk ...

Sterks

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2019, 01:43:48 AM »
We expect more of some people because they are extraordinary in a particular area ? We should expect more of all... both sides of the spectrum... didn't see the outrage with Lurk ...
Well not all of us can produce 2 extreme quality posts with observations from post processing per day, not because we lack the talent, maybe, but because we working people with family lack the time.
But then “we are filling up the main thread with our bullshit”, and “you grab that nc file and apply a rgb pallete, Adobe gamut...” and whine whine whine.
My position: internet is still democracy

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2019, 03:10:27 AM »
Especially in a forum such as this, where the fate of all people and the whole world is discussed, we should certainly seek equality.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2019, 03:45:21 AM »
I'm back (*) but will prefer "turning the pages of silent dictionaries" - because I usually don't have anything to comment on the core issues except the divertimentos and occasional weird weather oberservations and comments on the carbon cycle. Alas Lurk's treasure trove of TrumPutin propaganda is deleted - but that was yesterday (meanwhile Rachel Maddow no longer needs to quote the Müller Report ...)  8) ...

Not having seen/noted much of A-Team I just recalled a mathematical vision I once got upon one of his posts: A Frobenius foliation above a fractal surface evolving with glacial wear... Which reminds me of another visual genius scientist I quite possibly never ever have mentioned here (who gave me a vision of Banach space valued stochastic differential equations (after explaining Hasselmann) for modelling clouds...)

http://the-black-butterfly-effect.blogspot.com/

Alas me no Hebrew whatsoever, but I met him in person long before Neven. That's why I'm back and not back at the same time. :)

-----------------
(*) Mars J Pictor Florifulgurator has the same PW hash signature as Martin Gisser. Florifulgurator is an avatar (in the Sanskrit sense) of Mars J Florifundator, a footnote in early Internet arts around 9/11 with some Emails intercepted on a server in Taiwan back then...
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

magnamentis

« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2019, 04:13:15 AM »
it will be the masses of non-scientists who learn over the years that will make a difference.

to focus one or a few single topics out of the many topics that need to be addressed and trying to streamline those who can link science to the average citizen by spreading falsifiable information and pushing into the right direction won't work, but de-motivate them.

from everything that i read every day here and elsewhere the input of those who look at the greater spectrum appears to be much more essential than naked data. data alone didn't change much during the last 40 years or so. the build a base that needs kind of distribution.

data have to be interpreted and then conveyed to neighbours, family, friends and co-workers to unfold their power. to

after all everyone who can click a hyperlink is able to find all the essentials that are necessary to learn and understand better and this without any additional movie theatre for distractions and ahhs and ohhs.

i find all those with a greater understanding of what's going on on various levels and why things that should be done are not done and why things that should be stopped are not stopped, much more enlightening and their impact on the move into the right direction is much greater.

this should not diminish the efforts and work of some but elitary thinking has never been a working tool to move entire societies out of the shit. until now only disasters were able to achieve that goal
and those disasters were caused by said elites.

why are all kinds of leaders on this planet able to exploit and rule ? because they provide something that people don't want to miss and later blackmail them (coerce them) into their will under the threat of taking it away from them.

we should not let this happen, nor here nor elsewhere but see through the scheme and the wrong and cut it off on day one.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »
Re: a full stop to all this rubbish

You got it already. Use the killfile.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2019, 07:09:08 AM »
Re: a full stop to all this rubbish

You got it already. Use the killfile.

If I could use it, I would have done it a long time ago. For those who don't know, it's under Modify Profile -> Buddies/Ignore list -> Edit Ignore list.

I can't help it if A-Team and Uniquorn are gone already. My offer still stands, and I've PM'ed it to A-Team.

It is as it is.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2019, 09:53:41 AM »
Those who are not content with the killfile, but rather want  "offending" posters to be completely invisible not only to themselves but everybody else as well want to entirely silence the "offenders".  No dissent allowed, no opinion other than ones they approve.

Which is a very dangerous thing to allow the commentariat to do. As i have seen in other fora.

That said, one might question: why does Neven have the right to silence, but none of us ? Simple, you be in his house. In my house i lay down the terms and limits of discourse.

In other words you are under a benevolent(?!) single rule dictatorship here, rather than the dictatorship of the majority participants.

You dont like that, start your own blog.

sidd

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:03:46 AM by sidd »