Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 28130 times)

sedziobs

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
I think that is a fault of perception. Not a single person on this forum falls neatly into pro, anti, or team or other categories.
Sure, every conclusion that each person comes to is a result of their own perceptions.  My perceptions are clearly different than yours.  I do not mean that Lurk or Neven are monolithic and hold the same opinions on every issue.  But they don't write in a hostile manner toward each other, and write very hostile toward their opponents.  This has the effect of creating "teams", whether or not all of their views neatly fit into one.  I do not believe that tribalism can be dismissed because people don't fit into two separate bins.  A bimodal distribution with some overlap can create tribalism.  The two party system in the US is a perfect example. 

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2018, 06:50:41 AM »
Try to be on team human?
https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1
All this technological wizardry could be applied toward less romantic but entirely more collective interests right now.

They were amused by my optimism, but they didn’t really buy it. They were not interested in how to avoid a calamity; they’re convinced we are too far gone. For all their wealth and power, they don’t believe they can affect the future. They are simply accepting the darkest of all scenarios and then bringing whatever money and technology they can employ to insulate themselves — especially if they can’t get a seat on the rocket to Mars.

Luckily, those of us without the funding to consider disowning our own humanity have much better options available to us. We don’t have to use technology in such antisocial, atomizing ways. We can become the individual consumers and profiles that our devices and platforms want us to be, or we can remember that the truly evolved human doesn’t go it alone.

Being human is not about individual survival or escape. It’s a team sport. Whatever future humans have, it will be together.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »

But they don't write in a hostile manner toward each other

You clearly don't have access to our Inbox.  ;D

I only write in a hostile manner to people if they can't even admit the simplest of things. Remember our conversation in the Corporate Democrats thread? I backed off when you admitted a couple of simple things, which made me understand better where you were coming from, even though I still disagreed with you.

Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

sedziobs

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »
Remember our conversation in the Corporate Democrats thread? I backed off when you admitted a couple of simple things, which made me understand better where you were coming from, even though I still disagreed with you.
Yes, I remember.  You were hostile from the start because you assumed (as Lurk loves to point out) that I couldn't admit what you wanted me to.  You made assumptions about me, and lumped me with the rest of team MSNBC.  This goes back to my reply to sidd.  It's not necessarily only our views that create teams.  It's our attitudes and how they color our perceptions.  My attitude was not great in that thread either.  I started out hostile as well.  My complaints aren't about me, or making a case that I'm better than anyone.  My complaints are about the state of the forum, of which I am a part.  I'm in favor of joining together on team human.  Unfortunately I don't think that's a possibility in The Rest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:54:46 PM by sedziobs »

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2019, 08:35:01 AM »
On another thread Neven stated:

"I would kindly ask you to go find some other place to do your thing. I think it would be better for you, and it would definitely be a lot better for me, because it's wearing me out and I don't want to quit this project just yet.

Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitter, the mainstream media, Corporate Leftists around the world, and even rehabilitated neocons, they're all with you to make things reality."

Whereupon some pearl clutching ensued, I gather, tho i missed most of it being sheltered by killfile.

Please guys and gals and those of other genders:

This is Neven's house. He has stated repeatedly that evidence based argument on the science threads are open to all, and he has acted in accordance. He has also repeatedly stated that he will moderate social/political threads, and he has done so. Apparently that annoys some who imagine this forum is their pulpit.

It is not. Start you own blog if you wanna post without moderation. Or find a forum on goofacetwit more to your taste. Stop bitching at Neven.

That's like going into a party and repeatedly pissing on the carpet after your host has asked you multiple times to quit, and then screaming at him for not letting you continue.

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2019, 11:54:39 PM »
"hey,easy there kids. make sure you don't get angry. Don't resort to tribalism. Take some time and listen to the democrats and republicans too. I know it sucks that my generation robbed you of your future, but just make sure you maintain decorum"
So fucken well said!

------------------------

My problem with the polit threads is not the decorum.
(
I am an advocate and activist of violent communication (and I can take a cordial "fuck you"). Some people in the public space can only be convinced by shame. (However, it is a tightrope: Violent communication is only effective when fact based and logical.) That's why there still is climate denialism and inactivism out there: In the last 20 years of climate "debate" I heard/read the wörd "bullshit" only one single time...
)

What irks me in the polit forums are the low standards of evidence and truth exhibited by some, incl. Neven. And the radical oversimplification of things (most often from Neven). This isn't about theory (Neven) vs. pragmatism (Martin). Oversimplified theories don't work, period, just like overcomplex theories. And more: the tolerance of bullshit and of known bullshit sources (like Russia Today). Who bullshits in science is dead as a scientist. Not so in the polit forums.

What is desperately needed in today's world is to try to apply the standards of scientific discourse to polit disourse.

---------------------
Apropos Valentine's Day,

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:23:50 AM by Martin Gisser »

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
she·moz·zle
Dictionary result for shemozzle
/SHəˈmäzəl/
nouninformal
noun: schemozzle

a state of chaos and confusion; a muddle.
    "the debate about climate change and how to deal with it is a shemozzle"

Origin
late 19th century: Yiddish, suggested by late Hebrew šel-lō'-mazzāl ‘of no luck’.

Martin Gisser

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:39:09 PM by Martin Gisser »