Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384507 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »
It is sad that the vomit-fest of political threads is attached to ASIF especially when it is costing the forum so dear . I stay away from it but the stink gets everywhere , Neven . b.c.

I think this is a matter of interpretation. I don't see it encroach on the sea ice discussions, which is why the political threads are there in the first place. A lot of the political talk has died down anyway. It may flare up with 2020 approaching, but I'm not going to worry about that now. And either way, people don't have to watch/read it if they don't want to. Unless people need their panties to go into a knot.

I'm something of a radical, so that will be partially reflected by this forum. That's just how it is, imperfect and all. It's still the best place on the Internet to get informed about Arctic sea ice loss. But nobody will be either forced or begged to stay (except for Tor Bejnar).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sterks

« Reply #251 on: July 17, 2019, 12:56:27 AM »
If there are alt-right scum on the ASIF I am taking a walk.
The idea with trolls, klan members, deniers with cherry-picked facts, and other species, is ignore them until they leave, not for you to leave, Gerontocrat!

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2019, 07:09:20 PM »
Gerontocrat, I will go after trolls, Nazis, white supremacists so that you can stick to your detailed accounting of regional area and extent. I feel bad the BL left because we can deal with the alt right evil, but it takes time.

My apologies to every decent person in the world who is horrified as I am about what the USA is doing to refugees and asylum seekers. I am ashamed and disgusted by the illegitimate regime in the White House.

FYI, I look at the political threads here very infrequently.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #253 on: July 17, 2019, 07:28:29 PM »
Given that this thread is for talking about the Forum in general, I have to announce that sadly my father passed away today, and so I won't be able to take care of things here for a week or so, maybe longer.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
I'm really sorry for your loss, Neven.  :'(

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #255 on: July 17, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
Our condolences, Neven.  Take care of yourself and family.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:08:21 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #256 on: July 17, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
Very sorry for your loss Neven. My condolences.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #257 on: July 17, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »
Our thoughts are with you, Neven.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »
Excuse me if it seems inappropriate but I have a little advice for anyone who finds themselves executor of a parents estate. When trying to contact various accounts by phone you will invariably be shunted onto an automated address program . In that program always call sales because that is your best chance at finding a human. Once you get a human you can explain your circumstances and get the phone number of the person who you need to settle your parents accounts. "Closing an account"
never seems to be an option on the phone address lists.
Again , excuse me if this seems inappropriate. My condolences Neven

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:55 AM »
My thoughts are with you Neven. My condolences, and sympathies. Kind regards, RC.
Sic transit gloria mundi

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2019, 12:46:12 AM »
My condolences Neven. I lost my mother not 40 days ago and I know how it is. My thoughts are with you and your family.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2019, 01:43:44 AM »
I pm'd Neven from my father's chair earlier. In our hearts there is no death . Love Itself ensures life is eternal .
 b.c. 
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
I am sure Neven would rather posters continue to post over the days he is away . It is an important time to keep information and opinion flowing . There have never been more visitors to the forum than in the last 2 days . The forecasts are uniting in turning from bad for ice to very bad for ice .   b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Pmt111500

« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
Condolences. You take care of what needs to be taken care of. Thanks for not closing the forum during time of grief.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »
Neven, how are you doing? Outside your grief, maybe you met nice other family members and had good talks, renewed interest, stronger ties. And perhaps sharing a lot of love. I wish for you for it to be that way.

Sleepy, are you retired from this forum?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »

Sleepy, are you retired from this forum?

I posted somewhere on the forum the likely "why" Sleepy retired.

Sweden passed some rather restrictive laws about posting on forums where there is a loosely defined reference to "hate speech"  several people were convicted & fined for their participation
on these forums.  One day later Sleepy quit posting...I'm just guessing here.....

bligh

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »
I have just returned from Croatia. Thanks to everyone for the condolences. In coming days, I'll try and get things in order here on the Forum.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2019, 11:02:08 AM »
@bligh8

Thanks for the info. Wow. I had to reread that to believe my eyes. What a world. I have a hard time trying to picture Sleepy giving hate speech. But we don't know for certain what happened. Too bad, I liked him. I wish him well.

Quote: "a loosely defined reference"
Should this forum have an anti-hate-speech protocol?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »
Sweden. Is it hate speech if you curse the government or want to change the system? Will that become punishable?
Sorry for the off-topic.

Rich

« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
Sweden. Is it hate speech if you curse the government or want to change the system? Will that become punishable?
Sorry for the off-topic.

No. If it was, Greta Thunberg would be in juvy.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2019, 05:34:41 PM »
I propose an ingore list for threads one never visits.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
I propose an ingore list for threads one never visits.

The only problem with that is than one creates ones own bubble of bias....

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2019, 06:21:18 PM »
Sadly, it's technically impossible

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
Threads in subforum are marked read or unread wrt new posts.

I read the ones i am interested in and ignore the rest. Or rather i will read most in one go so the first page of sub forum is clean (rinse repeat). If you are certain about threads you never want to visit you can use the mark as read feature to speed it up.

There is nothing on the internet that you have to click on (except the reallly do not click this button button).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
There is nothing on the internet that you have to click on

Except when crud shows up in the threads you like, then it's more like this:

If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »
Looking back .. as I increasingly do :) , I found myself reading this week in the melting season 2016 . It was like another world .. then I realized it was .. it was pre Trump . b.c.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2019, 02:08:49 AM »
Looking back .. as I increasingly do :) , I found myself reading this week in the melting season 2016 . It was like another world .. then I realized it was .. it was pre Trump . b.c.

:o >:( :( ;D :D :-X :'( :'( :o

bluice

« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
I posted somewhere on the forum the likely "why" Sleepy retired.

Sweden passed some rather restrictive laws about posting on forums where there is a loosely defined reference to "hate speech"  several people were convicted & fined for their participation
on these forums.  One day later Sleepy quit posting...I'm just guessing here.....

bligh
I don't believe for a second that participation on a forum with hate speech can get you fined in Sweden. Administering a forum or a Facebook group with hate speech or writing hate speech is another matter.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »
The problem is that tolerance of hate speech has a way of spiraling out of control.

We're all acquainted with feedback loops here, presumably. Once hate speech is allowed or goes unaddressed, two things are likely to happen:

1) Those who are disgusted by the hate speech are going to be less likely to want to associate with the site--they may visit less frequently, and will definitely not be inclined to recommend it to others

2) Those who want to promote hate speech will be drawn to the site, and work to further degrade it, overtly or subtly.

I don't envy Neven his task of trying to thread needles of promoting free and open exchange of ideas and avoiding the worst kinds of postings. Epithets against national or racial groups, it seems to me, should be a pretty clear line, though.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

bluice

« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2019, 03:30:48 PM »
Fully agree with wili. It's not easy.

In my opinion the new leftist thread should be deleted.

blumenkraft

« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »
I don't envy Neven

This situation is easy to handle. Don't give the fascists a forum.

There are fine people on both sides my ass! Being antifascist is not being left - it's being sane, nothing more.

Edit: Wili, i quoted you but it wasn't directed at you. I apologize.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:00:12 PM by blumenkraft »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2019, 04:59:19 PM »
it's not about threading needles .. it's about needless threads designed to needle .. someone has the option of saying .. NIMBY or NIMBF  .. Not in my bloody forum .. Neven .. b.c.

blumenkraft

« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
Aha, so that quote by sedziobs is making us all dumber?

So we need 13 yo fascists who shit all over the place with their bigotry to have good and sane content on the forum?

Neven, you are misguided with this both-sides-ism. This is what brought us Trump in the first place. You are taking the role of the MSM here giving those malicious ideas legitimacy just by giving them a platform. Misanthropy is not legit, so for god's sake, don't give it a forum!

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
In my opinion the new leftist thread should be deleted.

I didn't realize there was one. But I only read the Cryosphere sub-forum, and this section about the forum itself. Social media (that includes any & all forums) is a cesspool these days. And that's happened largely by design, enabled through bias/stupidity.

blumenkraft

« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
I also think this kind of shit doesn't and shouldn't belong in this forum.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
I also think this kind of shit doesn't and shouldn't belong in this forum.

Hear hear

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
It's what made me leave another forum. If I need to raise my blood pressure i can visit 8chan or argue with my in-laws. Let sanity rule - not Hannity.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:58:36 PM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Rich

« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »
I love it, I'm hearing this in my inner Bernie voice.

"Positive change never happens from the top down, it always happens from the bottom up. When people stand together, we can beat Trump's racism and xenophobia...."

Nice to see the ASIF regs standing up and standing together in their condemnation of what Gumbercules and his ilk are bringing here. Never again.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:29 PM »
This situation is easy to handle. Don't give the fascists a forum.

I'm not giving them one, whether they really are fascist or not. I the case of Gumbercules, I haven't released his profile and I only let comments through when I believe they don't go over the edge. At some point, he either starts behaving instead of provoking, or he gets tired of having to wait for his comments to get released. The latter seems to be happening, though one can never be sure. If he goes overboard, he'll be banned and I have perfect arguments for doing so, that are hard for him to argue with.

I don't have a lot of time right now, due to personal circumstances, so don't go nuts if I don't moderate perfectly or instantly. Give it some time. In the end, only the Cryosphere threads are worth following and engaging in. The rest is pretty much irrelevant, and depend entirely on what you can get out of them for yourself.

This is all normal, in my view, and not worth getting upset about. Go out into your garden, and if you don't have one, get one, create one.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 09, 2019, 12:27:48 AM »
The ignore function is awesome.... you can choose when you stomach to read it

Rich

« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2019, 01:28:05 AM »
I'm proud of you guys. A successful example of activism at work here.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 09, 2019, 02:09:40 AM »
Just for those I know who won't know what Rich posted , he says ' I'm proud of you guys ' .. 'a successful example of activism at work here ' .. b.c.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »
Just for those I know who won't know what Rich posted , he says ' I'm proud of you guys ' .. 'a successful example of activism at work here ' .. b.c.

Or just quote it, since the ignore function doesn't handle quotes.  :P

Rich

« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2019, 04:03:23 AM »

If people have taken the step to block my posts, their wishes s/b respected. It doesn't make sense to give someone that capability and then have someone else override it.

As one of the people leading the peanut gallery which attempted to label me as a troll, what are you trying to accomplish here b.c. ??

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2019, 04:22:03 AM »
Can everyone please knock it off with the ad hominem attacks on other forum members? It's juvenile and annoying. Thanks.

Pmt111500

« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2019, 05:56:23 AM »
"By jumping on them, just because they vote for Trump, for instance, you eliminate the possibility for an exchange and increased mutual understanding, and if they're not bona fide, you give them the opportunity to play the victim card."

Mutual understanding? With racists and rape apologists, scammers, liars, etc.?

I guess I'll have to expand my ignore list to any supporting any republican views, irrespective of their claimed profession in science.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
There was a story told to us at a young adult (liberal) church camp (back when I was a genuine young adult) told by the parents in a home-school-foster-home-for-difficult-kids-and-kids-who got-adopted household that has remained in my consciousness all these years.  A few years ago my (adult) daughter wanted the 'long version' of the story (to share with friends), so I searched for it on the internet, thinking the 'original' would be better than any 'copy' I would make of the story (and found it!).  Donna Bradley was the mom.

https://www.spiritofunconditionallove.com/soul-teachings-and-meditations/
REFUSE TO BE OFFENDED . . . 8 min 42 sec audio 'lesson' . . . (8th of 17 lessons)
"Refuse to be offended because nobody is a turkey for the fun of it" is a class about how much humans love to be offended. Are you ready to give up the drama, the hurt, the futility of measuring yourself against everyone else to prove whether or not you are lovable… whether or not you are a blessing? When we were raising our children, we had a motto literally written on the living room wall that said, “Nobody is a turkey for the fun of it.” Translated, that means that if someone is being obnoxious it is because they can’t figure out how to give and receive the love they want and need. This class [the 8 minute audio lesson] helps you know how to respond if someone is judging you.

Focus on the quotable quote starts at 6:20.  I remember the Bradleys as being "woo-woo" (spiritualist) folks, which will be immediately evident if you start listening to this lesson.  Much of where they (she) come(s) from is grounded in dealing forthrightly in the tangible world of challenging relationships and helping immensely challenged children (and people) grow up.

My daughters grew up with "No one is a turkey for the fun of it" and your kids can too!  (Yah, I know: I remembered the quote a little bit wrong!)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2019, 04:23:49 AM »
Great post Tor, many (most) people need to be mended after their childhood. What a world. Your daughters must be doing alright.

If somebody tries to offend you and you don't react (without emotion), you are the winner.

I think there's a need to remain vulnerable, to not protect yourself with a hardened 'shield' that you build up through the years. The not-hardening needs to be done by not being offended, deal with initial discomfort by processing and thinking. The discomfort will dwindle and you'll be strong and open. And vulnerable so you can further develop yourself. Not stuck behind the shield.

edit: corrected semantics
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:55:05 AM by nanning »