Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384246 times)

Phoenix

Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #650 on: May 13, 2020, 09:47:35 AM »
I was a bit surprised at the complete lack of support for my request for decency.

I support your request Nanning. Apparently, Oren does too.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #651 on: May 13, 2020, 11:05:06 AM »
Quote from: Phoenix
Personally, I value Friv's positive contributions to the forum and the colorful remarks
(bolding by me)

oren as a moderator is a bit walking on eggs here in my observation. A balancing act. He is sensibly careful with his remarks.

oren personally:
Quote from: oren
Curse words are frowned upon and please avoid them, even if you think otherwise, for the sake of others.

You are right about oren's support Phoenix. I was wrong with that statement.
My sincere apologies to oren.

Holy matrimony! The 60's TV-series of Batman didn't use bad language but they did use 'expletives'.

Get your inspiration from that Batman series. It can be done without profanities and even be funny.

Be creative.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2020, 11:52:26 AM »
I will endeavor to honor oren's wish, and apologize ahead of time if I lapse at some point.

But may I point out that Greta Thunberg is a child and Batman was a show for children. We are presumably adults here and should be able to handle occasional  use of 'adult language.' Most of the women I know swear or are not put off by swearing, and the most educated swear the most.

Maybe the site should have a warning as is on some movies: "There may be some language" !!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:15:41 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #653 on: May 13, 2020, 12:53:41 PM »
Yes, I am walking on eggs. Too many edits and some posters are apt to walk out. Too few edits and some others are apt to do the same. Friv will be Friv but his contribution IMHO is immense, others may manage to contribute greatly without using expletives. Those who can avoid them, please do.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #654 on: May 13, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »
Correct language?

Greta Thunberg hasn't and wouldn't use those words. Most women wouldn't. What's the matter with you guys?

I was a bit surprised at the complete lack of support for my request for decency.
Now I understand the 'level' of this forum better.

Swear words are to language what potent spices are to food.  They should be used sparingly and in the right context when the situation calls for it. 

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #655 on: May 13, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
^ Ramen +1
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #656 on: May 13, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
"Swear words are to language what potent spices are to food."

Nicely put. Of course, some of us like us a bit more potent spice than others  ;D

I keep a jar of cayenne pepper powder next to the salt and pepper and us it only slightly less than the other two. So...frequently, but of course never in huge doses.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #657 on: May 13, 2020, 09:59:37 PM »
Should put some glitter and rainbows on the background, while we're at it. Blingee this joint up. Might help with the more sensitive folks.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #658 on: May 14, 2020, 12:43:17 AM »
Is there a need to link to that? Maybe i am severely allergic to glitter and rainbows. It has a safer looking wikipedia entry sort of.  ;)

Kidding aside we should also remember we are on the internet. People have quite different angles and different ways of looking at things. Some are more technically inclined and others are more emotional.

Every so often some one mentions he hopes for a BOE and then some one else will say that is awful and then they will explain that they hope this will wake up the world. Etc.

And there are more examples. In the Covid thread CTRL+F for ´amazing´ for another one.

So we will always have this.

Of the top off my head at least 4 or 5 people rage quit over stuff (in politics...lol like the planet cares) and then came back. The main content is the focus any way.

So most important is preserving posters with high level content.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #659 on: May 22, 2020, 09:26:44 PM »
A message to Neven & his forum from Croatian's fans:

we love you!

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #660 on: May 24, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
I wonder could a mod or someone tidy up or delete this poll at the start of the 2020 Melting season prediction thread ?

I dont know what was the intention but as it stands now, it looks confusing/messy especially to any new member or first viewer of this thread.

Maybe the thread starter did not want the poll at all. There are comments 'this poll should not exist' and 'i dont know how to delete polls' .

It does sound like the intention is for the poll to be deleted.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 29, 2020, 07:58:32 AM »
I don't see the "The Rest" main topic on our home page anymore.
I had to use the search function to find the "Good Music" and "Forum Decorum" threads.

Why is that main topic hidden?
There is much valuable information and discussions there and I use it a lot because not all things interesting are related to AGW or the cryosphere. Such as e.g. mass extinction, pollution, overpopulation and my own science.
I have not seen any discussion by forum members about this. Have I missed something or has a 'unilateral' decision been made by the moderators without consulting the members?

I wish that this is a simple mistake because: I would be really unhappy about it otherwise and that's an understatement.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #662 on: May 29, 2020, 08:25:35 AM »
Might just be a  software compatibility problem at your end Nanning.
Using Windows 7 and google chrome.

I still see the  Off-topic header on the home page.
Underneath The three subheadings .

The forum
Commentary, commendations, commandments, complaints.

The politics
Enter at your own peril.

The rest
Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #663 on: May 29, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
You may have accidentally clicked the Off Topic Header.

This will collapse the sub- headings so that they are not visible.

It can be reversed by clicking on the Off Topic header again.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 29, 2020, 10:07:16 AM »
Thank you very much Kiwi and Vox. Indeed, I had the off-topic collapsed without realising.  :-[
Sorry to have taken some of your time with this mistake of mine.
I'll try to look better next time.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #665 on: May 29, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »
It happens, nanning. A couple times I almost locked one of my threads by mistake or nearly deleted my account.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 30, 2020, 01:54:17 AM »
No sweat nanning
Happy to try and help.
I thank vox' for resolving your issue .
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Robert Heinlein.

Phoenix

« Reply #667 on: June 07, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
So, what's wrong with being confident so long as one presents a solid rationale for their confidence?

If someone points out some historical data trends that may prove insightful in making projections, one would hope that there would be some willingness to consider the merits of the claim and not just dismiss and label the person.

I acknowledge being confident and I don't think it's something anyone should have to apologize for. My goal is not to pump up my personal profile, but to make the science more accessible and easy to understand for everyone.  It's exciting when you stumble across some information that you think helps makes things easy to understand and I'm trying to reinforce that understanding so that people will grasp it and internalize it.

I'm willing to put myself out there and stand up for what I'm asserting in the pursuit of that goal of promoting a more educated community. I'll willing to have the debate on its merits and risk being proven wrong. Hopefully, the community embraces the pursuit of new and useful insights and different approaches to solving problems.

The world has lots of problems to solve. Let's try to deconstruct the problems and be open minded to the possibility of solutions. Confidence is a good thing when it comes to solving problems and puzzles. Let's try to nurture confidence, not kill it.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 07, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »
It is considered against forum decorum to continually post the same long term predictions repetitively and over-confidently in several threads including the melting season thread. You found an interesting observation. Great. Don't hog the thread. Let it breathe. When warned or told off, listen.
Don't assume the response you are getting has to do with your taking away hopes of crashes. This is a scientific forum, especially the Cryosphere section, and the only interest is the science and the truth. Not traffic, not hope or fear. You are not a martyr and there is no cause. The response is a direct result of your posting style.
I can sense you care a lot about these subjects, and that you have no bad intentions. This is why I take the time with you to explain, educate and discuss. However, I also have a responsibility to the other posters and silent readers of the Cryosphere section, and I will act whenever I see fit, in the spirit of Neven's guidance and using my judgement and the feedback I am receiving from others.

Phoenix

« Reply #669 on: June 07, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »
It is considered against forum decorum to continually post the same long term predictions repetitively and over-confidently in several threads including the melting season thread. You found an interesting observation. Great. Don't hog the thread. Let it breathe. When warned or told off, listen.

OK, the point about repetition is relevant. I plead guilty there. Some of that comes from the absence of acknowledgement of the historical factual basis for my prediction. You can disagree with the interpretation, but at least acknowledge where the belief is coming from and then I can feel like I'm being acknowledged and not brushed off.

Don't assume the response you are getting has to do with your taking away hopes of crashes. This is a scientific forum, especially the Cryosphere section, and the only interest is the science and the truth. Not traffic, not hope or fear. You are not a martyr and there is no cause. The response is a direct result of your posting style.

I am going to be true to myself. I don't seek to gain personal attention or try to prove that I am smarter than anyone or put anyone else down. I've got enough ego to believe that I can follow my instincts and contribute to a better understanding.

I can sense you care a lot about these subjects, and that you have no bad intentions. This is why I take the time with you to explain, educate and discuss.

I am also willing to take the time to explain, educate and discuss. You certainly have more experience in the field, but I view the educational process as a two way street. You might be able to learn something from a fresh and untrained perspective.

However, I also have a responsibility to the other posters and silent readers of the Cryosphere section, and I will act whenever I see fit, in the spirit of Neven's guidance and using my judgement and the feedback I am receiving from others.

I'm sure that you're doing your best. My feedback is that it appears that we just had the best freezing season in the CAB in the 21st century and it is difficult to contemplate the possibility of a record in such a circumstance. I perceive a lack of leadership that an educator would provide in setting an appropriate expectation. If you see yourself as an educator, then provide your community with some guidance about how extreme the remainder of the season would have to be in order to approach a record. If someone else was doing it, I wouldn't feel the need.

igs

« Reply #670 on: June 07, 2020, 07:50:11 PM »
So, what's wrong with being confident so long as one presents a solid rationale for their confidence?

If you remember my P.M. from some time ago read it again and read it again in a month or two and it will be as i said back then.

Perhaps I could add, and it's not meant as tutoring but sharing from my own experience, that sometimes nothing is wrong with what we do and objectively not even with how we do things, but then there are energies shining through that cannot be just named without becoming personal, offensive and/or condescending which is why sometimes the only way out is to reduce the energy level.

I compare this kind of thing often with a loving husband and a early twen basically doing the same thing with their wifes and girl friends but the youngster sometimes being a victim of his testosterone level.

All examples limp in some way so let's not go any furhter with that but one or two gears down while not changing much of the content will probably do.

We can NEVER convince everyone, neiter from our opinion, no matter how just, nor from the genuine truth because humans have a large diversity of reasons why they do not want to listen or believe or accept something and in such cases each little flaw in an argumentation will be mercylessly exploitet and the more we get exitet and try to proof our point the more we get lost in a a back and forth argument/bickering that ultimately leads us to heavy mistakes of our own and get discreditet, lose the credibility that was once there.

Perfection can be a powerfull enemy of the good in two ways, perfection is superior to the good, that's the obvious part and seeking perfection is often keeping us from remaining in the good range.

Who want's it all will most probably end up with nothing.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 07, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »
Phoenix, generally ok but one thing in your response bothered me.

I perceive a lack of leadership that an educator would provide in setting an appropriate expectation. If you see yourself as an educator, then provide your community with some guidance about how extreme the remainder of the season would have to be in order to approach a record. If someone else was doing it, I wouldn't feel the need.

A self-appointed educator falls outside forum decorum, and is perceived as arrogance and condescension, especially coming from someone who hasn't been around since forever and is not held in the utmost esteem - such as Neven or A-Team or various others who I will leave unnamed (I am not one of these in any case). And even coming from such folks it would not be welcome. The community doesn't need - and doesn't want - your incessant guidance, nor mine, nor anyone's, as to expectations. Say your piece as all do, but don't assume you are the teacher or that a teacher is required. Some learn from statistical experience that records don't break every day, some recall the crazy surprise of 2012 and expect it will return one day, and some recall the crazy surprises of 2013 and 2014 and realize expectations don't matter much. Some learn by the process of setting their expectations by their own various methods and then eating crow. Leave them all alone.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 07, 2020, 10:43:11 PM »
Neven said compare compare compare and A-team shared a lot of tricks for looking at things. That is educational because it teaches methods.

It should not be confounded with pushing an agenda. People can make up their own mind especially if they are around for a number of years. Hot start disappointing summer is kind of normal but we don´t know it´s a normal year until we have seen it. Etc.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #673 on: June 08, 2020, 12:28:39 AM »
Phoenix, I have a theory that a slowdown of the AMOC is causing more water to flow into the arctic ocean through the Bering strait. I have posted my theory, and this season I'm watching to see if it holds up. I sometimes mention it, but I'm absolutely not sure if my theory is correct. I know there are many people on this forum here that have been studying this stuff for many years now, and although I have clashed with some people here, I do have a lot of respect for these people's opinions about the arctic.

In short: I know what I don't know. So stay humble mate! Even those with lots of knowledge about the arctic can still get it wrong sometimes... JMHO
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Phoenix

« Reply #674 on: June 08, 2020, 02:57:14 AM »
Phoenix, generally ok but one thing in your response bothered me.

A self-appointed educator falls outside forum decorum, and is perceived as arrogance and condescension, especially coming from someone who hasn't been around since forever

Oren and Kassy, you both make the same point which points to longevity in the community as being required to generate respect and that anyone new who tries to teach them will be regarded as arrogant or condescending. I think that says more about the people who take offense than a person giving it.

In this case, I look to the people at UW as the experts who have been measuring ice volume data for decades. They are the experts who provide us information to explore about sea ice volume which Wipneus graciously forwards to the community and you use your talents to put that data into graphical form to allow people to better observe the patterns in the data.

All I'm doing here is pointing out a pattern in the data that UW, Wipneus and yourself go to the trouble of providing to the world. This pattern represents a long standing relationship between ice outcomes and time / location. I consider myself to be honoring the work of the people who provide the information by taking the time to study it, asking questions and sharing observations about their work.

I'm not a religious person and of secular Jewish upbringing. One thing I love about the Jewish culture is the practice of having the youngest person at the annual Passover seder table ask four questions which the rest of the gathering spends the evening answering. It is a form of indoctrination to a learning process in which the person lowest on the totem pole is encouraged to participate and learns to have a reasonable expectation of getting an answer to their questions. This is a ritual of a people who have eschewed hierarchy and prized education for millennia.

I am here in the archetypal role of the youngest and I'm asking the community about relationships in the data. Data which senior and respected members of the community are providing. I'm asking why their should be any reasonable expectation that the pattern will be much different than the pattern represented in the historical data that Oren is presenting ?

I am programmed to seek an answer to this question. In the absence of anyone stepping up to even acknowledge the truth of the pattern I'm pointing out, let alone try to explain why the pattern of the past is irrelevant to the future....the default expectation is that a strongly ingrained pattern will continue into the future.

Figuratively speaking Oren, as the moderator, you are the host for the gathering and a person who is low on the totem pole is asking questions about data that you are presenting. 

Rod

« Reply #675 on: June 08, 2020, 03:11:39 AM »
Phoenix, just let it go.

Everyone agrees you are entitled to your theories.  But you are inherently inconsistent.  One minute you are the new guy asking for help.  The next minute you are the expert telling everyone why they are wrong.  It makes the forums frustrating to read. 

Last year, there was a guy who you remind me a lot of who argued until he was blue in the face that a tidal wave was going to come crashing through the Bering Strait and submerge all of the ice in the ESS.

The discussion was nonsense and drove people like me away. 

I don’t know if you are the same guy or not, but your arrogance and confrontational attitude is the same. 

Please let it go.  The political section is the place to fight.  In the science section, voice your opinion and respect the fact that others might not agree with you.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 08, 2020, 03:16:02 AM »
Phoenix, just let it go.

please please please

Phoenix

« Reply #677 on: June 08, 2020, 04:06:43 AM »
Everyone agrees you are entitled to your theories.  But you are inherently inconsistent.  One minute you are the new guy asking for help. 

Rod, I'm not espousing any theories here and there is nothing inconsistent about being an expert at one thing and asking for help in another. That's normal. I'm an expert in addition and subtraction and I suck at popularity. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

I'll leave you with this quote from Albert Einstein.

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:32:49 AM by Phoenix »

Rod

« Reply #678 on: June 08, 2020, 04:50:34 AM »
Thank you Phoenix for putting me in my place.

I did not realize that you had the superior intellect of Albert Einstein.

I will take my mediocre mind to my closet now and go sulk.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 08, 2020, 04:56:37 AM »
The recent discussion here gives me the feeling you still have not understood the problem at hand, but I am tired of further explanations. Be warned, the snipping scissors have been sharpened and I will not tolerate further disruptions to the community.

Phoenix

« Reply #680 on: June 08, 2020, 05:29:24 AM »

Einstein referred to people who refused to bow to conventional prejudice and stuck to their opinions honestly and courageously. One can represent those qualities w/o trying to represent themselves as peers of Einstein.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 08, 2020, 06:58:32 AM »
Phoenix, this subtext-quote of wili's posts comes to mind:
Quote from: Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

Several members have given you advise which you must interpret as showing respect. That advise is about forum behaviour and not about the quality of your posts. That's not a problem then, is it?

oren as cryosphere moderator has not an easy task and he is highly valued and is being very tolerant and patient. We all must follow the rules. It is impossible to make everyone happy.

Please swallow your pride and adjust your behaviour. Wind down. Roll yourself a joint :)

bluice

« Reply #682 on: June 08, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
If people on an online forum start to get annoyed by your posts, post less. Works every time.

Also, a single poster is enough to derail and ruin an active thread.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 08, 2020, 02:27:11 PM »
This pattern represents a long standing relationship between ice outcomes and time / location.
And people have pointed out that in reality it is more complicated because ice flows. This could lead you to all kind of constructive follow up questions.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #684 on: June 08, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
Nanning (Freegrass, Fønix et al.)

Roll yourself a joint

A simple question: Does smoking of Marijuhanna lead you to an urge to contribute more to the forum, or does it calm you down to let minor inaccuracies pass, thus reducing your frequency of posting?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 08, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
@P-maker
Personally I don't have those experiences you describe but I smoke most joints outside whilst mostly thinking and analysing.
Others may be very different. This depends also on the strength of the joint and the context of what you're doing and with whom.
This is very off-topic.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #686 on: June 09, 2020, 12:04:16 AM »
Nanning (Freegrass, Fønix et al.)

Roll yourself a joint

A simple question: Does smoking of Marijuhanna  >:(  CANNABIS lead you to an urge to contribute more to the forum.
No, that's alcohol that's doing that. I'm out of last years home grown cannabis right now (that I eat) ...
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

igs

« Reply #687 on: June 09, 2020, 03:08:36 AM »

This is exactly the kind of killer argument that i hate.

Imagine someone is 70-80 years old and a renown genius of some kind and it did not evade him and he tries to convey some knowledge to others and they DENY even the possibility that he is what he is and claims to be because he or she does not have the name of a long dead renown genius.

Why are streets and other things named after dead people? Because they are not seen as accute threat and competition in this world and therefore can easily be worshipped like Jesus, but only after he has been killed.

Howerver I do not expect to change anything about this "ANOTHER PATTERN" but even though I find it sometimes energy consuming to read through all the posts of @phoenix it does not appear to me that he is babbling a lot of bullshit.

Either this place is about finding solutions based on data and patterns that are found through data or it is a hirarchigal place where reputation and names are counting more than the facts.

As always there is not one side right and the other wrong but the kind of argument that you're using against Phoenix are not valid, they are hinting to an inferioritiy complex.

Perhaps he IS a genius, perhaps not, i don't know but what i can see is that his contribution is worth to read, consider, discus and add more value to it by doing the maths where he can't and admits that.

By the way, Einstein himself was facing a similar kind of strong opposition towards his findings/theories. It has been an englishman, someone else who has proven the first time the
space is bent around masses and only thanks to this first proof, followed by many others, he was able to enjoy full respect and little opposition during his life-time and last but not least his theories were useful for the US-Military, that certainly helped him, even though he tried to correct that after he recognised what they have in mind.

EDIT: You see @Phoenix, weeks ago I predicted to you that this will happen if your remember.
I give it a few more weeks max and you get muted like so many out of the box thinking brilliant minds before you.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:20:29 AM by igs »

Phoenix

« Reply #688 on: June 09, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
Once again, a person s/b able to quote Einstein w/o representing themselves as an analog for Einstein. 

I am bringing algebra and an attempt to highlight the relationship between the ice outcome and the configuration of the earth's crust. Not exactly Einstein level.

From 1979-2011, the ice declined at a rate of just under 4k km3 per decade. The linear assumption in 2011 would have had us running out about now. Now, we are approaching a decade which is flat in total. It does not take Einstein level of intellect to see that the relatively linear descent we witnessed for three decades has given way to a new paradigm.

The forum as a whole is quite diversified around a very compelling story of entropy impacting human civilization and overshoot of resource consumption. We live in an era which is a genuine cliffhanger with respect to our species survival. ASIF can embrace the reality that the rate of ice loss is slowing and still thrive as a community focused on the overall acceleration of AGW consequences.
Let's embrace the nuance which the uneven configuration of the earth's crust represents as an explanation for a slowing rate of ice loss at the same time AGW forcing is accelerating.

We are on a hellish trajectory overall and the current progression of sea ice loss is not the best indicator of the overall progression of AGW.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 09, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
All of the above except maybe a couple of sentences is OT here. Yes you can quote Einstein. Yes ASIF can embrace various realities about the ice, but often the "realities" in question are disputed.
Rehashing again why your interpretation of the varied ice data is the reality, while others' interpretation is not, is not in the scope of this thread. I would have snipped, except I lack authority in this sub-forum.

blumenkraft

« Reply #690 on: June 09, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
I didn't snip because i was hoping this discussion would die on its own.

It's dying now.

bluice

« Reply #691 on: June 09, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »
The Melting Season thread is becoming tiring to read. Analysis written by experts is interesting. So are pictures, figures and links to good sources.

But "analysis" without any real content and written by someone who has no real insight is just spam.

I, for one, wouldn't mind Oren to swing his modhammer more aggressively.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 09, 2020, 09:41:27 PM »
All it takes is 1 blind ego to overshadow a forum.

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #693 on: June 09, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »
Phoenix, just let it go.

Last year, there was a guy who you remind me a lot of who argued until he was blue in the face that a tidal wave was going to come crashing through the Bering Strait and submerge all of the ice in the ESS.

The discussion was nonsense and drove people like me away. 

I don’t know if you are the same guy or not, but your arrogance and confrontational attitude is the same. 

Yes, I know who you mean. His name was Rich. Wouldn't it be something if he were to rise here again from the ashes so to speak, just like that mythical creature, can't remember it's name now...

blumenkraft

« Reply #694 on: June 09, 2020, 10:32:17 PM »
Does everyone know how the ignore list works BTW?

Click 'Profile' > hover over 'Modify profile' & 'Buddies/ignore list' > click 'Edit ignore list' > type in username > done!

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 09, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »
Does everyone know how the ignore list works??

I find it effective to hide the comments of those I think are a total waste of space.
View it as a public service to other users if it stops you clogging up threads with endless replies to their inane nonsense.
 :)

Robert Heinlein.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #696 on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »
Does everyone know how the ignore list works BTW?

Click 'Profile' > hover over 'Modify profile' & 'Buddies/ignore list' > click 'Edit ignore list' > type in username > done!
In case anyone is ignoring bl, this is what was said ;)

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 09, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
If the ignore list also blocked quotes, then that would work. But it doesn't.

It's also frustrating to read when half the page is replies to the "blockee". (new word!)

Back when I was a forum admin this used to happen from time to time; there never was an easy solution that pleased everyone.

I guess taking a deep breath & stepping back is harder for some. Ima go split some firewood, and otherwise return to lurking.  :)

[edit] KiwiGriff: I love that particular comic, pretty much nails it. And uniquorn is as funny as they are knowledgeable.  ;)

blumenkraft

« Reply #698 on: June 09, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »
You can block the quotes in your profile settings, HH.

blumenkraft

« Reply #699 on: June 09, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »
In case anyone is ignoring bl, this is what was said ;)

I must say, for a split second, i was tempted to snip that just to reflect on the spite! :P ;)