Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384305 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #900 on: July 17, 2020, 07:58:16 PM »
Oh the reverse lion...how cute.   :)

PS: Melt stuff relates to science physics and not political science. No amount of hopium is going to cure whatever is going on now.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #901 on: July 17, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
Now they are sea-lioning about sea-lioning. How cute.

[edit] OMG kassy great minds think alike! ;D
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Phoenix

« Reply #902 on: July 17, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »
Is there a name for the class of people like myself to contrast with Deniers and Doomers? People who think that we're fucked, but not completely. I consider myself pro-salvage.

Would be nice if there was a simple term for us.

My inspiration is the Jews who fought back in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising rather than submit to the assembly line death march. They had no chance to get out alive, but they caused the bad guys to expend resources which made a difference to some anonymous people they would never know. The people on Flight 93 did something similar.

Hopium implies some fairy tale outlook. I don't see fairy tales. I see a lot of death and destruction....and life going on.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:37:41 PM by Phoenix »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #903 on: July 18, 2020, 09:46:29 PM »
Behavior of GSY on the melting season thread today was unacceptable. I was away for a few hours so I a sure some ran across the mess before I was able to deal with it.
Hint: posting a big "Fuck You" is not within forum decorum.

blumenkraft

« Reply #904 on: July 18, 2020, 10:00:36 PM »
Thank you, Oren.

Let me just add, posting dog-whistles in the George Floyd thread is also not within forum decorum and will get removed.

If someone wants to discuss crime rates they are free to open a dedicated thread for it.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #905 on: July 18, 2020, 10:30:26 PM »
I must ask why in the world blumenkraft's comment accusing GSY of making a racial slur was left in the melting thread. It is 1) completely off-topic and derailing, and 2) an unfounded and outrageous attack on his character, at least it looks that way from the outside. It deserved to be deleted as much as any of GSY's posts as it was the root cause of the entire drama. Fellow moderators cannot be given special treatment.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:36:30 PM by grixm »

blumenkraft

« Reply #906 on: July 18, 2020, 10:40:05 PM »
You are right, Grixm. I deleted my post.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 18, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
Good on you, blumenkraft.

As someone who doesn't look at anything outside of the Cryosphere section (excepting this particular thread, essentially), it did make me go  ???

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 18, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »
To point out it's a racial slur is fine, the user should say thanks and correct it, and not react violently. To judge that it's intentional is frowned upon, thanks blum for removing it.

Viggy

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #909 on: July 18, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »
THAT ISN'T THE POINT OF FORUMS!

How is this:

I'm starting to notice a lot of people pushing back against BLM. The main agreement seems to be that if black military-aged-males commit the majority of the homicides despite being only 6% of the population, of course they have more violent interactions with the cops.  I'm having trouble finding data that can push back against this narrative.

Data is easy to find when you look for it - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-6.xls

One, you are patently wrong. Two, escalation from cops which has been documented over and over again is clearly out of sight and out of mind for you.

Three, I love that racists can’t help but out themselves

Lastly, ‘Black-military-aged-males‘ creates a nice scary image but Black’ adults’ is a significantly more effective and less charged way to represent the same idea. But, of course you knew that when you intentionally chose your words.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #910 on: July 18, 2020, 11:26:54 PM »

Just the delete the trollperson who is blatantly intent on sowing discord. 
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Phoenix

« Reply #911 on: July 18, 2020, 11:28:31 PM »
To point out it's a racial slur is fine, the user should say thanks and correct it, and not react violently. To judge that it's intentional is frowned upon, thanks blum for removing it.

To make public accusations of malicious intent should be frowned upon in all circumstances, not just when it comes to the topic of racism.

People are routinely employing the term "sea-lioning" here lately and the mods are silent about that.   Um, check that.... at's least one of the mods is actually amplifying that message.

As bl says, "play the ball, not the man". I would encourage the mods to establish a policy against all character assassination.

Hefaistos

« Reply #912 on: July 18, 2020, 11:55:42 PM »
Is there a name for the class of people like myself to contrast with Deniers and Doomers? People who think that we're fucked, but not completely. I consider myself pro-salvage.

My inspiration is the Jews who fought back in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising rather than submit to the assembly line death march. They had no chance to get out alive, but they caused the bad guys to expend resources which made a difference to some anonymous people they would never know. The people on Flight 93 did something similar.

Hopium implies some fairy tale outlook. I don't see fairy tales. I see a lot of death and destruction....and life going on.

Realist.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #913 on: July 19, 2020, 12:10:48 AM »
I don’t comment these days, though I still lurk, especially during melting season, and even more especially during an historic one. While it may be bad form to call someone out publicly for bad intention, it is very revealing when people over-react to the accusation that a remark was racist.

Intention is irrelevant.

Yanno, if someone says you’ve said something offensive, the decent thing is to apologise, back down, and think hard. Otherwise it’s easy to see who you are.

Thanks to Oren for removing the overreaction.

Viggy

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 19, 2020, 12:13:26 AM »

Can we not conflate you having a muddled viewpoint with people who fought and died in the holocaust or people who fought against a life or death hijacking situation. It really minimizes the struggles they went through when you use it as some sort of rallying crying for under-represented views on a forum tracking arctic sea ice.

Phoenix

« Reply #915 on: July 19, 2020, 01:34:06 AM »

Can we not conflate you having a muddled viewpoint with people who fought and died in the holocaust or people who fought against a life or death hijacking situation. It really minimizes the struggles they went through when you use it as some sort of rallying crying for under-represented views on a forum tracking arctic sea ice.

I'm sorry, that's literally the lens through which I view much of humanity right now. AGW is IMO, a Holocaust in the making and that's not a controversial opinion at all on ASIF.

And the point about those two examples I cited were that they weren't life or death for the people involved. Death was already pretty much certain for them.

There is absolutely no intention to minimize the suffering of those people. In the case of the people on Flight 93, it was a mercifully abrupt ending. The intention is to highlight suffering and its not at all about me or my unpopular opinions on ASIF. I'm older and have had a life full of wonderful experiences and am at peace with my personal demise. It's about young people and future generations and the bag of shit they are inheriting. 

I grew up in the US during the era of maximum Boomer privilege. Life was so much fucking easier for me than it is for kids today. There was no AGW hanging over my future as a child, let alone all of the economic shit that capitalism has wrought. My personal life is pretty easy and uncomplicated and I choose to spend my free time advocating for others who I will never know. I am just a little ant in a big colony. As an individual, I have no meaning. I'm just a messenger ant relaying the message to everyone to find a way to contribute to the colony.

It's worth my time to try and convince people to retain hope, while at the same time remaining faithful to science and truth.

Rod

« Reply #916 on: July 19, 2020, 02:27:30 AM »

But he is a war hero Viggy!

This has become embarrassing for the ASIFs.  Oren, I highly respect you, and I think you are doing a great job moderating, but this guy is making a fool of us. 

I know you think he is sincere, and you have spent a lot of time trying to reason with him.  That is his goal. Make you work more and laugh about it behind your back. This person is a troll. He is playing you right now. He did the exact same thing last year when his name was “Rich.” He did some damage and then Neven banned him. Now he is back.

This is a very common tactic. If there was any doubt in the beginning, it can’t be doubted now. He is a sophisticated troll that wants to seem reasonable and at the same time inflect nonsense arguments and try to disrupt the forums.

He was happy you moderated his posts because now he can say “Oren approved of that.” That was not his choice, but it gave him an opportunity to further manipulate you and the forums, and he happily capitalized on it.

There are lots of people who watch these forums to see what people like you and uniquorn and Friv  and others have to say.

You are a great person trying your best to make these forums fair. But, at some point you need to say enough is enough and stop an obvious troll from polluting the content.

Phoenix

« Reply #917 on: July 19, 2020, 02:50:33 AM »
Neven banned him.

As far as I know, that is false.

You have a personal vendetta Rod. I suggest you avail yourself of the "hide user" function.

Here are some interesting quotes on the topic of being offended...

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/offended

“Those who are determined to be ‘offended’ will discover a provocation somewhere. We cannot possibly adjust enough to please the fanatics, and it is degrading to make the attempt.”

~ Christopher Hitchens

gandul

« Reply #918 on: July 19, 2020, 03:29:26 AM »
Recently I've run into a few posts in the Cryosphere threads that were a direct attack on other posters' quality of posting, paraphrasing as "your posts are all so boring" or "this poster's posts should always be taken with a grain or salt" or some such. Instead of editing and reprimanding I have resorted to outright removal of these posts, as they would have contributed nothing and would only have led to bad feelings between posters. The surprise to me was that the criticized posters were all highly valued contributors of good standing and long history.
If you are one of the posters whose posts have inexplicably disappeared, here is the explanation. If you are considering making such a post, please refrain.
Of course, feel free to criticize the content of specific posts or of recurring claims, this is science and what we are here for.
The tribalism around elements as Gerontocrat baffles me. His plots and tables are full of useless data. Especially the tables. He demands people not to elaborate over the data thread, yet he gives his opinion often, which mostly reflects his ignorance on Sea ice Dynamics and melting, yet he is often condescending in tone and dismissive of the opinions not based in his idiotic tables.

Foow frequently comes with certain absolutes on this or that in his sermons, but just wait a month to see that he’s full of it many times, like 50/50, like flipping a coin.

Friv only appears when it is mega ridge time, otherwise he just vanishes. At least he’s very useful when he shows.

Where is Espen, Wipneus (except for PIOMAS), Rob Dekker, AndreasT, Chris Reynolds, Seaicesailor, Bill fotherhill, Neven... and more. those guys gave solid foundation to the discussions from ‘13 to ‘17 but they started to vanish.

The forum has lost quality and I am angry about it. I suspect the new moderation system has not done other than accelerating the downhill.

And btw Oren, the first post that you should have eliminated is Blumen one, absolutely off topic. The FUCK YOU was indeed on topic as long as you didn’t remove Blumen one.

Blumen has an agenda, I hope he’s not applying it as moderator, otherwise I support he be removed as moderator.

Aniother thing Oren, one thing is to moderate an another destroy the flow of the thread. Admit exceptions. Be lenient if the conversation has merit. And don’t add one threatening, managerial advise every four or five posts. If you continue this way people will refrain from posting in what they will become more aseptic and sterile threads than they already are.

Viggy

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 19, 2020, 04:40:07 AM »

The forum has lost quality and I am angry about it. I suspect the new moderation system has not done other than accelerating the downhill.

TLDR - Everyone is wrong except the people I agree with and they dont post here often so I am going to call out the good work and daily, consistent efforts of the people who are here, because "I AM ANGRY" that things have changed!

Its really childish to go poster by poster and say what they did wrong in your eyes, in order to justify some falsified sense of superiority. People are literally just trying to do their best to contribute to a subject they are interested in.

If you wouldn't be a dick to a random group of strangers in real life, its not necessary online either. Its shocking to me that people are so dissociated with their online persona that they care not for how they represent themselves. Just abjectly disappointing.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 19, 2020, 04:58:35 AM »
"play the ball, not the man"

If you've ever played football (both kinds) or hockey - that's exactly the wrong way to go about it.

The man shows you their intentions on what to do with the ball, before they even do it.

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #921 on: July 19, 2020, 05:06:28 AM »
You are right, Grixm. I deleted my post.

I appreciate the apology you sent my way. Oh wait.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 19, 2020, 05:14:09 AM »
And btw Oren, the first post that you should have eliminated is Blumen one, absolutely off topic. The FUCK YOU was indeed on topic as long as you didn’t remove Blumen one.

Correct.

The phase where I mis-spelled FRIV (as FRIZ) was, "I LOVE WHAT FRIV CONTRIBUTES..."(which strikes me as fairly unhateful)

Blum (who is a mod!) claimed I was being intentionally racist. I actually have mild dyslexia. I screw up my 's's and 'c's, I screw up my 'v's and 'z's, and I screw up '11' and '12' when spoken. SORRY, but I am not racist.

Also, it is insane to think I tried to attack FRIV for racial reasons (presumably because his avatar is MJ). Most MJ fans are WHITE! This is madness.

The horrific irony is that blum was attacking me for something i was born with, while claiming that I was doing the very thing blum itself was doing.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 19, 2020, 05:19:09 AM »
Also,

FRIZ for Frivolousz21 is just as legit as FRIV.

Or maybe I'm just a racist. I guess I need to soul search.

Maybe we are all racists. Why else would we have such an infatuation with something as white as ice. And when ice isn't white, it is blue (like the racist cops).
big time oops

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #924 on: July 19, 2020, 05:30:19 AM »
Hah, you have never heard one of my sermons. I want you to know that I am an uncertified lay preacher, not a prophet. If a forecast longer than a week holds up 50% of the time, that's pretty damn good.

Now A-Team, he knew what he was talking about. This place went downhill the day he stopped posting his graphics and analysis.

blumenkraft

« Reply #925 on: July 19, 2020, 07:32:08 AM »
He demands people not to elaborate over the data thread

That is unfair. He asked once. Since then i am the one 'demanding' it from people. Why? Because he is working his ass off for us. And a little respect for that is imperative!

It saddens me you are attacking some of the most valued members here.

Blumen has an agenda, I hope he’s not applying it as moderator, otherwise I support he be removed as moderator.

Well, i am a moderator.

Aniother thing Oren, one thing is to moderate an another destroy the flow of the thread. Admit exceptions. Be lenient if the conversation has merit. And don’t add one threatening, managerial advise every four or five posts. If you continue this way people will refrain from posting in what they will become more aseptic and sterile threads than they already are.

Oren does a great job. Many people came out in support of him! Maybe you are the ghost driver, and not the dozens of cars coming your way.

blumenkraft

« Reply #926 on: July 19, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »
I actually have mild dyslexia.

I am full-blown dyslexic. For me, this is a reason to double-check before i post.

SORRY, but I am not racist.

Bringing up black crime rate in the George Floyd thread and misrepresenting it in the way you did is clearly a dog-whistle. If you want people to believe you are not a racist, don't blow the whistle.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #927 on: July 19, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »

He demands people not to elaborate over the data thread

Many of the experienced hands demand that you keep it off the data threads and for good reason. Most of his comments he points out deviations or note worthy observations of the data trends. When they are not it is usually just a very few lines in a lengthy data post. I still support the notion of locking that thread from all but the data posters.

Blumenkraft Oren and Kassy make fine moderators.

blumenkraft

« Reply #928 on: July 19, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
I still support the notion of locking that thread from all but the data posters.

I agree. But for how i understand it, the forum software does not give us this option.

Blumenkraft Oren and Kassy make fine moderators.

And Be Cause of course. ;)

Thank you so much, Interstitial.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #929 on: July 19, 2020, 08:10:05 AM »
I did not realize Be Cause was moderating. What does he cover.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 19, 2020, 08:24:19 AM »
Mods are

Cryosphere oren.

AGW in general kassy.

Off topic  be cause, blumenkraft.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
John Lydgate
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Robert Heinlein.

bluice

« Reply #931 on: July 19, 2020, 08:24:53 AM »
Gandul you are being unfair and rude.

If you don’t like post quality, why not do better yourself? Go ahead and make better data tables.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #932 on: July 19, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
John Lydgate
Well. this lurker is happy with the mods, and grateful for them. Would be even happier if they were stricter with some of the stragglier elements. Dissent is never a problem; arrogance, ignorance and discourtesy are.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 19, 2020, 09:38:47 AM »
To Rod - I believe Pheonix is well-intentioned, though his effect is that of a troll. This is why I take the time to educate and make rebuttals. If it pisses you off that he is wasting my time and playing me for a fool, please assume my time and patience are limitless, and that I am fool to begin with. I hope this will cool your anger. As for the disruptions caused, I am applying stricter and stricter moderation until I finally reach the point where no more disruption is occurring. If this fails, banning is always an option.
And yes, the ignore function can help calm things down. I don't have anyone on ignore, so you need not worry I will miss any offending posts (though I may not always recognize them as such).

To gandul - I too miss old-timers who were the giants on the forum. Some of them still show up from time to time, some of them have seemingly moved on. But that is the way of life, I can't control that (though I've often thought of reaching out to various old timers and suggesting they make a comeback). But that doesn't give anyone the right to belittle current contributions by posters. If you want to raise the quality of the forum, why not try to do that yourself. Learn all you can of weather and climate and environmental science and ice and whatever. Post numerical and qualitative analysis. Find a piece of underreported data and make it your habit to report it.
We have quite a few posters who post data regularly on a daily or weekly or monthly basis. Some have better style (to my personal taste), others maybe less so. I have made some suggestions to the reporting format over the years, some have been taken up, some not. But in any case, I am grateful for every one of them, as I would never keep up with the data otherwise. And so should you - be grateful. Don't kick the hand that feeds you. Gerontocrat is the record holder of making regular updates in the largest number of data threads on the ASIF. Without him, many of these threads would be dead. If he posts a bit too much language with the data - he has earned that right. There is a reason why he is the most Liked poster by far on the ASIF. You can skip the words and just read the data, I mostly do that myself. You can post a regular "competing" data update yourself - JCG does that successfully in the JAXA thread. But please, don't attack. Impolite and ineffective.
About Foow, what can I say? Make your predictions, try to see if you have better success rates.
Blumenkraft is a bit of a hothead, as he would admit himself. When you think he (or any other poster) is in the wrong, report to moderator is the best recourse. In his own section (politics) write to his co-moderator B.C if needed.
As for my moderation style, I keep learning. Never done that until nominated here on the ASIF. If you feel my post disrupts the flow, report to moderator and give me feedback. If you feel someone else's post disrupts, report to moderator. If you have a specific or general complaint about the Cryo section, feel free to PM me. I promise to genuinely listen to all, though I don't promise any automatic changes.

GSY - I believe you do not intend the typos, though I highly recommend rereading your posts before submitting. There is a preview function, and pay special attention to words you type in CAPS, typos in them are very conspicuous. I often read my posts after submitting as well, and edit out the frequent remaining errors. However, regardless of the above you are double the hothead that BL is, which is why you have been put on moderation. Tips: When criticized, correct your ways. When notified of a typo, edit it. Don't spam threads and don't post big "F Y", that is offensive and disruptive. When you feel you are wronged, report to moderator.

To all - we live in angry times. Trump, AGW, the coronavirus, economic issues, all serve to raise the anger level. Please help making this a peaceful place by keeping things civil and polite. As it is, I am not aware of a better science-minded forum on the Internet, so let's all be grateful that it exists, and strive to make it better in our little way.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »
Anne
I like that this forum has a space for the discussion of forum decorum and I take great hart in the quality of comments and the ability for this community to work though issues.
Neven has become too busy to devote time to this forum.
We are lucky with the quality of those who put their names forward for what will  be a time consuming, frustrating, ultimately thankless endeavour to herd us cats .

Robert Heinlein.

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #935 on: July 19, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Grandul, those were cheap shots at other posters. However, I come here because something is happening and I don't know what it is (thanks Bob Dylan). I don't participate in the ice extent polls because I don't have a scientific basis for making a prediction. My contribution is to look at the big picture, not just the ice. I know I cannot make good forecasts of what the ice will do in September, nor can I make good long term weather forecasts because no one can.

Something extraordinary and terrifying is happening this year. Each one of us is documenting it in our own way, even Phoenix, who has unintentionally served as a foil for Frivolous to amplify his points about the insane meltdown we are witnessing.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #936 on: July 19, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
 looks like that was a good morning for a lie-in .. back to the ice .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gandul

« Reply #937 on: July 19, 2020, 12:31:41 PM »
Oren, thanks for the response. I like you being a moderator, you being one of the wisest old-timers. Sorry if I have been impolite. However I stand by the opinion that you could let a bit more discussion now. The threads are well behaving (except for odd posts as mine, sometimes).

I lash out against Gero because he wants to quench talking and then he discourses from his high site. And since he has an enormous parochial herd, it is impossible to push back against his attitude and “knowledge”, or  the “shush this is the data thread” treatment is received.

I take Espen’s one liner or Juan Carlos super crisp single plot and table any day before Gero’s posts. Besides, at the end of the day I can see Wipneus regional plots in ASIG... without Gero’s unfunny comments and tables. So Gero who complains of people littering the data thread should consider not littering the data thread.

The only thing of value is his extent drop plot... but he uses very unscientific curve fitting and very dubious construction of the average trend. He’s so badly equipped from a scientific point of view... and yet he gets so much encouragement from the herd...

Foow is another poster with “herd immunity” in the forum, but well... I probably owe an apology here, as well as for Blumen, I don’t know first hand how he is moderating.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 19, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
I repeat, don't attack. Do.
If you wish to respond to discourse on the data thread, simply quote and then copy and post in the melting season thread. That's how it's done. You will get even higher readership than the OP.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #939 on: July 19, 2020, 02:05:46 PM »
Not so long ago, Juan started posting the table of variations of current extent from previous years. I looked at it, and thought, that's better than mine, more years, in order and more informative. So I dumped my table (JAXA-Arc3).

Oren's posts on PIOMAS data has made redundant most of what I was posting, and is better. So I chucked all my redundant stuff, and just post what's left.

It's not a competition against each other. People like Juan, Oren & others add to the data and understanding of the data.

It's very simple. If / when someone starts posting better analyses of sea ice (and other) data then I will stop posting mine.

Until then, tough.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #940 on: July 19, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
For such a busy thread, I think Oren is doing a great job. I doubt that any one of us could do better.

Phoenix

« Reply #941 on: July 19, 2020, 04:47:35 PM »
As for the disruptions caused, I am applying stricter and stricter moderation until I finally reach the point where no more disruption is occurring.

It should be noted that the moderation policy includes zero guidance on the criteria as to what constitutes an acceptable or unacceptable post.

This is a private forum and I recognize that Neven can run it according to the same authoritarian principles he denounces in others. Anything critical of the regime will be silenced.

There is no due process, no published rules being broken. No personal attacks, no lies (but mistakes, yes...to err is human). A demonstrated search for explanatory math in all matters pertaining to science.

Just a vague charge of being "disruptive".

Ask yourselves.....what is the trendline for AGW? Pretty fucking bad. Who among us does not want to see that trend disrupted?

That is absolutely my intention....to participation in the disruption of THAT trend.

blumenkraft

« Reply #942 on: July 19, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
I for one approve posts that are critical of the 'regime' on a daily basis, Phoenix. I did it just now.

Yes, it sucks to be on moderation. I understand you are pissed about it. Calling us mods authoritarians doesn't help to get you off moderation though.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 19, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
Anything critical of the regime will be silenced.
Nonsense.

The moderation rules are to apply common sense and to deal with whatever becomes a disruption to the discussion. As for your case, I believe it was too many pet theories, repetition, unwillingness to listen and learn, and too many questions not in appropriate threads.
I feel the recent trend has been for the better, though your post above makes me question it again.

Simon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 192
« Reply #944 on: July 19, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »
I am mostly a lurker and I find the data produced to be very informative. For me personally, it is often too detailed but that is just me. I hope that those who do all this hard work do not become put off by sniping comments which I find unnecessary. IMO if any poster feels there is room for improvement then let him or her make some improvements rather than snipe at other people’s efforts.

gandul

« Reply #945 on: July 19, 2020, 07:09:06 PM »
I am mostly a lurker and I find the data produced to be very informative. For me personally, it is often too detailed but that is just me. I hope that those who do all this hard work do not become put off by sniping comments which I find unnecessary. IMO if any poster feels there is room for improvement then let him or her make some improvements rather than snipe at other people’s efforts.
I did not go personal without a reason. Gerontocrat should not ask for silence in the data thread or any other thread if then he makes a “deposition” here and there. He is not entitled to make more noise in the data thread than anybody else.

I don’t want to put off anybody’s efforts, anyway the guy is pretty tough skin, I don’t think I will really upset him and it is no longer my intention.

blumenkraft

« Reply #946 on: July 19, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
He is not entitled to make more noise in the data thread than anybody else.

Yes, he and Juan are! Period.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #947 on: July 19, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
I did not go personal without a reason. Gerontocrat should not ask for silence in the data thread or any other thread if then he makes a “deposition” here and there. He is not entitled to make more noise in the data thread than anybody else.

I don’t want to put off anybody’s efforts, anyway the guy is pretty tough skin, I don’t think I will really upset him and it is no longer my intention.
"I don’t think I will really upset him and it is no longer my intention".
- bullshit. So it was your intention.

In the post in question I asked please, please, please bring more data and new ways of looking at the data that can be discussed. I did not ask for silence.

Pure crap. I had better stop before I lose my temper.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #948 on: July 19, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
Daily data updates in a long running cycle are not noise. 
I watched them for years so i want to see those. I really do not care about comments on that just posting questions if they are of the type ´what will the weather do to the beaufort´ because that is what the other thread is for.

Comments about the actual data set like it is high low because sea X is doing something different are ok.

Also it is not hard to comment on the other thread. Quote the post. Delete all the stuff you are not commenting on. Then post that in a reply in Melting and type your reply under the quote box. Not hard at all.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 19, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »

This is a private forum and I recognize that Neven can run it according to the same authoritarian principles he denounces in others. Anything critical of the regime will be silenced.

I tried using that basic line once, when I was young, at my mom's kitchen table.

Once.

You're still on tilt.

BTW if any of the mods find themselves in my neck of the woods (western Canuckistan) then I'll buy y'all a beer. (except kassy. Scotch for her.) Doing a great job. And gero, juan, & a few other similar posters can have the shirt off my back, or whatever their whim is.