Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 390026 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1989
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #950 on: July 19, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
Just for the record i am not a her it´s just an old evolved nick. Also i hate scotch so i will take the beer which i actually like.  :)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

blumenkraft

« Reply #951 on: July 19, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
western Canuckistan

Thanks so much, HapHazard, for the invitation. Sadly a trip over the big pond is not in my CO2 budget. ;)

Just for the record i am not a her

Glad this is settled finally!  ;D

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5257
« Reply #952 on: July 19, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »
GOOD! MORE SCOTCH FOR ME!
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Viggy

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #953 on: July 19, 2020, 10:10:20 PM »
I did not go personal without a reason. Gerontocrat should not ask for silence in the data thread or any other thread if then he makes a “deposition” here and there. He is not entitled to make more noise in the data thread than anybody else.

I don’t want to put off anybody’s efforts, anyway the guy is pretty tough skin, I don’t think I will really upset him and it is no longer my intention.

What the hell is wrong with you Gandul?

If you want better data, come up with a format that you think is better and then post it daily without fail year after year. It’s that freaking simple.

People believing that everyone should heed their opinions just because they have one, while they sit at the back of the bus and put in no actual effort (atleast not to the level of consistency of Juan or Geron), are always the first who should be ignored.

Get off your damn rocking chair and work, if you don’t like how things are ... your mindset is freaking appalling

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #954 on: July 19, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »
I’m beginning to think that this thread might be a mistake. “Forum Decorum” is the least decorous thread on the whole site. The only advantages I can see are:

1) It keeps the worst of the ranters corralled and busy.
2) It shows the moderators who are likely to misbehave the most when the gloves are off.

On the other hand, if the attitudes here are allowed to fester for too long, the infection could very quickly break out into the rest of the forum. I don’t think we have sufficient supplies of PPE, and there’s no sign of a vaccine.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #955 on: July 19, 2020, 11:45:01 PM »

On the other hand, if the attitudes here are allowed to fester for too long, the infection could very quickly break out into the rest of the forum. I don’t think we have sufficient supplies of PPE, and there’s no sign of a vaccine.

But if we all get a little dose each day, we might achieve herd immunity.  ;D

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2173
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #956 on: July 19, 2020, 11:50:12 PM »
Phoenix deleted account?

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #957 on: July 20, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
The Lord's name be praised.

Mods:  Keep an eye out for Rich'/similar IP addresses on any new signups.

Love n kisses,

SB&N
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

gandul

« Reply #958 on: July 20, 2020, 03:23:56 PM »
He is not entitled to make more noise in the data thread than anybody else.

Yes, he and Juan are! Period.
No they are not, WTF??
How do you make these rules?
Why is Gero gonna be a privileged? Or for that sake, anybody else?
What kind of forum is this? At least oren is consistent across the board.

Go to that biblically referenced hot place  blumen, your fireside attitude is starting to be weary
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:23:33 PM by be cause »

blumenkraft

« Reply #959 on: July 20, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »
Even though there are insults in your post, Gandul, i'm letting this stand for everyone to see.  Because if it happens again, i'll ask Neven to put you on moderation. This post will give legitimacy to my request.

Why is Gero gonna be a privileged?

I already told you why. Scroll up, there is your answer.

What kind of forum is this?

It's a forum where members who contribute in a meaningful way are highly valued. As it is for most forums on the internet.

At least Oren is consistent across the board.

Funny you would say that since Oren agrees with me! He is constantly removing posts from the data thread that don't belong there.

sailor

« Reply #960 on: July 20, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
Even though there are insults in your post, Gandul, i'm letting this stand for everyone to see.  Because if it happens again, i'll ask Neven to put you on moderation. This post will give legitimacy to my request.

Why is Gero gonna be a privileged?

I already told you why. Scroll up, there is your answer.

What kind of forum is this?

It's a forum where members who contribute in a meaningful way are highly valued. As it is for most forums on the internet.

At least Oren is consistent across the board.

Funny you would say that since Oren agrees with me! He is constantly removing posts from the data thread that don't belong there.
[
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:18:15 PM by be cause »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #961 on: July 20, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
It does seem that we mods need some agreed standards . My approach is not to go looking for trouble , rather let it come to me . As mods we have partially replaced Neven , who rarely snipped , almost never removed , and basically left all the rest alone unless there was unrest that drew his attention .
  Now posts are being deleted or altered in threads that have no need for policing at all . I've just done some snipping here (oops .. sorry BL .. I just read your reason for letting the original abuse stand .. ) .. but I was asked to do something and saw something needed doing . But mostly it doesn't
  Also recently because Oren is relocating so many posts from the main threads . my approach of refreshing the 'recent posts' and clicking on the latest post in the melting season often leads me to confusion and a thread I chose not to go to . I know I'm not alone with this problem .. perhaps forum software can be altered to keep up with all moving ; and change each post's thread title from that of the original posting to the new thread it's relocated in ..
  re the melting season .. as of yesterday morning , last year was on 4116 posts when Aluminium provided his portal to the past . Yesterday's was post 3150 this season . Considering the season (and lockdown etc) that is a surprising drop . b.c.

There is no death , the Son of God is We .

blumenkraft

« Reply #962 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »
(oops .. sorry BL .. I just read your reason for letting the original abuse stand .. )

Yeah, i took a screenshot also, so we are good. ;)

About those agreed standards you are proposing, i would ask the community to come forward suggesting rules. Then the mod team can write them down and act on them. It would make things easier IMHO (remember, i asked for rules early on but they were widely dismissed at that time).

Some forum members felt treated unfairly. Basically, everyone who was moderated without rules can claim they were treated unfairly.

I suggested a set of rules here already >> https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3033.msg258953.html#msg258953

I'm sure it will be hell on earth until we have our rules, but from there on, things should run more smoothly.

igs

« Reply #963 on: July 20, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
He is not entitled to make more noise in the data thread than anybody else.

Yes, he and Juan are! Period.
No they are not, WTF??
How do you make these rules?

There are many TOP-Forums that have the rule that the thread owner (founder) has a few extra rights.

Further while all reasoning is fair to consider and deal with it, anger is always derailing even the best discussion and in this case means nothing else but righteousness since there is not one single truth here, it depends on the views of the forum owners and if they see thing the way i mentioned above it's up to the thread owner what he/she wants to be discusse and in which approximate manner and withing which borders.

At the end of the story both views are acceptable, depending, but then what I always look at is motives for each stance, there often lays the dog burried. ;) ;) ;)

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #964 on: July 20, 2020, 08:18:53 PM »
because, There isn’t any news about the sea ice in the “ mainstream news “ so any new members have to find the arctic sea ice forum by circuitous means this year. I wouldn’t look at last years number of posts as a goal anyhow because last year was a real mess on the forum. I would like to express my appreciation to all of the moderators this year as trolling is much decreased from last year. I think most posters are authentic and reasonably knowledgeable. Thanks to everyone who shares!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3941
« Reply #965 on: July 20, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
Also recently because Oren is relocating so many posts from the main threads . my approach of refreshing the 'recent posts' and clicking on the latest post in the melting season often leads me to confusion and a thread I chose not to go to . I know I'm not alone with this problem .. perhaps forum software can be altered to keep up with all moving ; and change each post's thread title from that of the original posting to the new thread it's relocated in ..
Thanks for this b.c., I just realized my error when moving. I will make sure titles are changed during the move from now on. I only use the "unread threads" myself, not the recent posts list, so was not aware of the problem.

blumenkraft

« Reply #966 on: July 20, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
I only use the "unread threads" myself, not the recent posts list, so was not aware of the problem.

Ditto! I wasn't even aware of this. There is a learning curve even in moderating, eh? ;)

trolling is much decreased from last year.

Thanks for mentioning it, Bruce.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 20, 2020, 09:23:54 PM »
because, There isn’t any news about the sea ice in the “ mainstream news “ so any new members have to find the arctic sea ice forum by circuitous means this year. I wouldn’t look at last years number of posts as a goal anyhow because last year was a real mess on the forum. I would like to express my appreciation to all of the moderators this year as trolling is much decreased from last year. I think most posters are authentic and reasonably knowledgeable. Thanks to everyone who shares!

x2

and FWIW I say that some posters simply overreact, and the mods are doing quite well dealing with it.

gandul

« Reply #968 on: July 20, 2020, 11:09:29 PM »
So that's the last thing in the forum, erase posts as if they never existed.
Totalitarism. That's the only rule you can work with.

gandul

« Reply #969 on: July 20, 2020, 11:12:00 PM »
I only use the "unread threads" myself, not the recent posts list, so was not aware of the problem.

Ditto! I wasn't even aware of this. There is a learning curve even in moderating, eh? ;)

trolling is much decreased from last year.

Thanks for mentioning it, Bruce.
For the record, you are as intolerant as the racists you're always chasing... If it wasn't because they are in your imagination only.

gandul

« Reply #970 on: July 20, 2020, 11:23:15 PM »
Before you erase this, I'll keep the message.

gandul

« Reply #971 on: July 20, 2020, 11:24:11 PM »
Next thing is you ban me or expel me. That is your only resort

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #972 on: July 22, 2020, 01:21:50 AM »
So on the gsy, friv row, help a euro out, how was it a racial slur? I know it is close to one for germans but that’s it.
Also on the topic of all the recent drama, I really wish some people would self-censor more rather than having to have a mod involved. It is not very hard to see when you don’t know enough to talk, to not expose views that would be inflammatory to the community and not directly write down the first thing on your mind, especially when shown opposite evidence. There is a reason why I don’t post in politics despite being much more knowledgeable in the topic, opinionated views in controversial areas will push people away and this forum should aim at being both factual and inclusive.
would mods consider an unmodded subsection to corral all the drama in a rarely visited cesspool?
Also maybe crowdsourced fact lists on certain topics to put people up to speed/ to weed out deniers from newbies (mechanisms of melt, weather, models, effects are possible examples)?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:11:53 AM by ajouis »
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 22, 2020, 02:20:10 AM »
Next thing is you ban me or expel me. That is your only resort

You may be saddened to hear that only Neven terminates .. why not just return to posting on the ice etc and we can all chill a bit .. it might help slow the melt down .. b.c.

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #974 on: July 22, 2020, 02:32:55 AM »
Also on the topic of all the recent drama, I really wish some people would self-censor more rather than having to have a mod involved.

The real problem is when a moderator is the one throwing out serious accusations and doing so baselessly.
big time oops

blumenkraft

« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2020, 07:53:07 AM »
So on the gsy, friv row, help a euro out, how was it a racial slur? I know it is close to one for germans but that’s it.

GSY typed 'Friz' (frizzy hair) instead of 'Friv'. He claims it was a typo. It is entirely possible this claim is correct. In dubio pro reo i guess.

I didn't buy it at the time because shortly before he posted an alt-right taking point in the 'George Floyd murder' thread which i deleted. He took offense with me deleting it and started a spamming spree (most of which i deleted as well).

However, if someone accidentally types something that could be interpreted as a racial slur, the reasonable thing to do would be to correct the 'typo' and say 'that wasn't my intent, sorry'. This is, of course, not what GSY did.

https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/frizzy.html

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2591.msg213040.html#msg213040

ajouis

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #976 on: July 22, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »
Blumenkraft, the aim was not to criticize your actions, although I found your method inflammatory at the time, before I knew he used the 13/ 50 dogwhistle which is pretty bad, I am just not a native english speaker and come from a place with less subtle racism, so I just wanted to learn how it was a slur that does not refer to germans, which I think I kind of get now, especially given friv’s profile image
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:00:12 AM by ajouis »
After a thousand steps on the ice, it cracked.
The Man looked down at the infinite blue of the sea.
On the horizon, standing still, the polar bear had just scented his next meal.

Less than 3000 cubic kilometers this Piomas minimum.

blumenkraft

« Reply #977 on: July 22, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
I'm glad you understand now, Ajouis. Thank you for hearing me out.

gandul

« Reply #978 on: July 22, 2020, 01:57:55 PM »
<Make a new point, Gandul. More of the same will be removed. - BK>
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:04:21 PM by blumenkraft »

blumenkraft

« Reply #979 on: July 22, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »
A few words about being dyslexic. As a dyslexic person myself, i can give some insights.

Being dyslexic doesn't mean you can't type on a keyboard. Typos are just as common with dyslexic people than with 'normal' people. You don't mistype more, you just don't know how the words are written correctly even though you have seen them a million times in your life. You make the same mistakes over and over again without the correct thing overwriting the wrong or non-available memory in your head. (Is it life or live? Is it effort or efford? Is it backstabbing or backstapping? Is it wishes or whishes? - I just can't remember these things...)

I use a software called "Grammarly' which corrects my spelling. It's working amazingly good by the way. Big recommendation!

Names though are an extra obstacle. Grammarly doesn't know all names/usernames. This is why i copy&paste names in order to have them correctly.

igs

« Reply #980 on: July 22, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
If 2 users are in a direct conflict and one of them is a mod, removing the opponents posts in the right thread by that mod ist "not wise, not sensitive"

Either another mod should to that and best would be to at least let both opinions stand.

This smells a lot like censorship while in each case of censorship ever, the censors thought,
that it's necessary to mute the wrong guys.

Interestingly in most such cases, ultimately the censor was proven to be wrong.

The root of this are the use of coarse language by some and that unlucky post by BK followed by the never ok big red one.

If I were GSY i would appologize for the big read one and if i were BK I would stop defending that unproven accusation but simply admit the glitch due to lack of self-control.

BTW ranting permanently over pages and insisting on a lost cruisade does not imply a high level of competence as well as certainly it's not wise.

The entire story is simply useless and the biggest problem is that both are right and both are wrong at the same time.

What are you guys doing in real life if someone drives you mad?

Do you go each day to his house and seek confrontation or do you simple try to avoid any encounter or, third possibility, are you abusing others to be intrigant?

Depending on the answer things would be obvious and clear, ask yourself.

blumenkraft

« Reply #981 on: July 22, 2020, 06:39:00 PM »
If 2 users are in a direct conflict and one of them is a mod, removing the opponents posts in the right thread by that mod ist "not wise, not sensitive"

I'm very aware of this, IGS.

This is why i a) let the most stuff stand and b) asked Be Cause to help out.

But then others complained about the noise which indicates i let too much of that stuff stand. It's a very fine line and i'm trying my best here.

igs

« Reply #982 on: July 22, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »

But then others complained about the noise which indicates i let too much of that stuff stand. It's a very fine line and i'm trying my best here.

Understood and understandable, I was just sharing thoughts that could help deescalate.

As to the main point of one party mooding an opponent. I think that's where theoretically
strict principles should kick in.

As all of us will never see our own perfection it's also not a goal and therefore we are allowed to veer of from time to time, mostly based on emotions, at least as long as we are aware of it, learning from it and therefore prevent going too far.

In diesem Sinne  ;)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #983 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:16 PM »

That kind of thing is why I never ran for moderator and, if elected, would not have served.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2020, 07:58:14 PM »
Bear in mind that when posters become emotional and belligerent, it will quickly tend to become a direct conflict between them and a moderator. Even in that case the mod still needs to do his/her job.
For me the solution is to only make moderation actions where really necessary, but where necessary to make them with a firm hand and not flinch. Both aspects much easier said than done, and I have a lot to learn myself.
Also very important as a mod is not to take things personally (such as when Phoenix accused me in a widely circulated PM of being Friv's bitch. An honor really, but never mind). This reduces the instances of the mod lashing back out of anger. Also important to give the benefit of the doubt, thus also giving the offending party a way to back down without publicly admitting wrongdoing.
My standing advice to Blum is to take a deep breath and think again when making a moderation decision, ask yourself if there is a softer way of achieving the same thing, often just with different words. You do a good job but need to hold back the natural hot-headedness (I know you agree with me).
My standing advice to posters who go rogue and start spreading anger around the forum - please don't. Nothing good will ever come out of it. The moderator has to moderate you because otherwise the forum is ruined, and you will just become more and more frustrated. Take a breather, stop posting for a day or two, do other things, then come back with a clean slate. People will think better of you that way.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 380
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2020, 08:29:34 PM »
As always Orens approach to personal interactions is worth learning from.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »
Oren, this is good on-line anger management advice in any forum or place of comments. Remember, many more people are reading your words than the people you are arguing with and post accordingly.

"My standing advice to posters who go rogue and start spreading anger around the forum - please don't. Nothing good will ever come out of it. The moderator has to moderate you because otherwise the forum is ruined, and you will just become more and more frustrated. Take a breather, stop posting for a day or two, do other things, then come back with a clean slate. People will think better of you that way."

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #987 on: July 23, 2020, 12:14:47 AM »
Oren, this is good on-line anger management advice in any forum or place of comments. Remember, many more people are reading your words than the people you are arguing with and post accordingly.

"My standing advice to posters who go rogue and start spreading anger around the forum - please don't. Nothing good will ever come out of it. The moderator has to moderate you because otherwise the forum is ruined, and you will just become more and more frustrated. Take a breather, stop posting for a day or two, do other things, then come back with a clean slate. People will think better of you that way."

I will add one thing. If you are getting angry all of the time in life make a change find something you enjoy more.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #988 on: July 24, 2020, 08:18:21 PM »
Can you imagine accusing me of spreading a fake theory when all the data is supporting it at this point

I love how oren and gerontocrat are allowed to say "bbr's stupid theory" when the data is now affirming my predictions.

<softened language - BK>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:40:04 PM by blumenkraft »

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 24, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
There is more hilarity. When I volunteered to contain my snowfall posts within a single thread (containment I have stuck to 99% of the time and only violated by accident / I always end posts that might touch on the subject with *moderator please move if off-topic*), gerontocrat was the one who was saying my posts were stupid and useless blah blah blah. He is still attacking me.

Yet after my posts were contained in the thread, he took that over too, and started posting his stupid analysis and useless graphs. So what is it? Do people hate me because my posts are wrong and misleading or do they hate me because they are incapable of critical and original thought, and are jealous of perception and analytical abilities?

Given most of the criticism comes from oren + gerontocrat and the now-deleted Shared Humanity , I think it is fair to assume the latter.

IDK. But I don't think it is fair and I think I am being bullied.

<softened language - BK>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:47:22 PM by blumenkraft »

blumenkraft

« Reply #990 on: July 24, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Bbr, i'm sorry you are feeling bullied.

For what i can see the opposition is not about your person here. It's about your theory that was widely rejected by the community. Please don't take it personally.

I do value your weather contributions. And i'm sure i'm not alone with this.

However, you have to accept the decisions made by the moderators. Oren is doing a great job in his section and he has the support of the vast majority of this community.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 24, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
I don't think they hate you. I like your contributions. Outside of your pet theory, at least.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 24, 2020, 09:08:51 PM »
I don't think they hate you. I like your contributions. Outside of your pet theory, at least.
If you didn't actively hate or dislike someone then why would you rave about them posting in the main thread and say they should have a dedicated thread, and then proceed to intrude and take over the new thread dedicated to the subject? Maybe hate or dislike are the wrong words here, but I do think gerontocrat's actions express an intention that is extremely negative.

Leaving in all the insults against me, and then I am accused of replying to a post stating the Beaufort will be safe out of intention of having his sh*tty internet reload an image?

Perhaps what bothers me most is the double standard I perceive in moderation here. I truly believe the moderators here protect climate change deniers. And I think this discrepancy is extremely wrong, especially given the current state of the Arctic.

The sum of today's events have left me very upset. I think the actions of the mods in today's melt thread validate my points above and indicate that both oren and be-cause are ill-equipped to moderate the ASIF. Instead of defusing the situation, both be-cause and oren have actively inflamed it by deleting my well-reasoned initial post and leaving up the ad hominem attacks thereafter (including ones made by be-cause and oren -- I consider <ice age pet theory talk banned> an ad hominem attack because it includes falsehoods and is insulting).

<removed baseless accusations - BK>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:28:20 PM by blumenkraft »

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #993 on: July 24, 2020, 09:15:12 PM »

Take a breather, stop posting for a day or two, do other things, then come back with a clean slate.

I will add one thing. If you are getting angry all of the time in life make a change find something you enjoy more.

Indeed, internet is not life. Real life is outside. I have to remind this myself all the time. Not because I get angry at things, but because any time I forget myself into internet for too long, I feel like my life starts dumbing down, lol.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 24, 2020, 10:22:15 PM »
bbr .. I arrived here with the same theory .. a pet of mine for many years .. but I did not try to push it at every opportunity .. at first I defended you , but every year the snow melts . As I said a few years ago .. I'll believe it when the ice starts pushing it;s way out of corries . It may yet become a thing .. but it hasn't and there is no need for it to appear in the melt thread (of all places) at the peak of a busy season with ice disintegrating everywhere .. or is there ice spreading across Canada as we speak / type ?
 I could not remove your post .. just warned others of the risk they ran .. only fair I feel .. b.c.

ps .. I sure as Fxxx have better things to do than police you .. you are upset ? We are not sitting in ivory towers doing this for fun .. 99% of folks here do not need moderating , but the few that do generate enough work for a couple of full-time mods ..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:29:52 PM by be cause »

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #995 on: July 24, 2020, 10:38:33 PM »
Twenty years ago I was part of a largish internet community. Core membership, myself included, was about twenty. Others who dropped in now and again brought the total to forty/fifty. We didn't just post on the forum: we used PM, email, instant chat; we phoned each other, texted sometimes, and even held international meets.

We all felt warm, cosy, supportive. A few people had problems, of course - who doesn't? But as I got to know them better, I realised that just about every one of them had problems. Even the ones who seemed the most assured, confident, successful. I had no problems at all, of course...

Except that I did. Big ones, that no amount of staring at a screen and typing on a keyboard would cure. I made the decision to taper off, and started to be part of the real world again.

Moral of the story? The internet is a vast place. Everyone wants to find their own corner of it, where they're valued, appreciated. Of course they do. But it's a lot better for your mental health if you can go into situations where you find yourself challenged and still keep your head. Better still, situations which make you question your own assumptions. That's how you learn and grow.

BBR, there's no point in getting angry or trying to get even. Tell yourself that these people aren't as bright as you are, and that you'll be proven right eventually. Meanwhile, go outside and check the weather. Smile, and watch the smiles coming back at you.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 24, 2020, 11:34:09 PM »
If you think 2+2=17 & refuse to shut up about it, you will & should get moderated. "I'm right, the rest of the world is wrong!" During my tenure as a website admin (private site; invite-only. user base hit 300,000 during my tenure, before I stepped aside to focus more on IRL) I ran into such types all too often. It always snowballs - I chalk it up to The Backfire Effect. I learned the following method works best: calm & polite > curt > just tear the freakin' bandaid right off.

I like greylib's post above.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 25, 2020, 12:09:34 AM »
Bbr, I am sorry that you are upset and feel bullied. I do not hate you and never did, and I value your contributions both on weather issues and on other issues such as Covid.
However and that is a big however, the ice age/reglaciation theory that you are presenting has been rejected here on the ASIF. It is not only wrong, but a derailment in every discussion where it pops up. As a moderator in the Cryo section I cannot allow it to be bandied about. IMHO it also muddies the waters with AGW, with no scientific justification, and thus may help deniers, which is why I oppose the concession of allowing it to be discussed in a dedicated thread.
Be aware that when you re-registeted, after being banned last year may I remind, the question arose of whether to allow you to come back. Despite what you may think of my feelings for you, I supported your staying, with the caveat of said theory being nipped at the bud.
If you wish to be allowed a thread to discuss it, either convince Neven or a majority of the moderators, and I will have to comply. Otherwise, I hope you can get over its absence on the ASIF, and continue to contribute on other subjects.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 25, 2020, 12:19:57 AM »
Bbr, I am sorry that you are upset and feel bullied. I do not hate you and never did, and I value your contributions both on weather issues and on other issues such as Covid.
However and that is a big however, the ice age/reglaciation theory that you are presenting has been rejected here on the ASIF. It is not only wrong, but a derailment in every discussion where it pops up. As a moderator in the Cryo section I cannot allow it to be bandied about. IMHO it also muddies the waters with AGW, with no scientific justification, and thus may help deniers, which is why I oppose the concession of allowing it to be discussed in a dedicated thread.
Be aware that when you re-registeted, after being banned last year may I remind, the question arose of whether to allow you to come back. Despite what you may think of my feelings for you, I supported your staying, with the caveat of said theory being nipped at the bud.
If you wish to be allowed a thread to discuss it, either convince Neven or a majority of the moderators, and I will have to comply. Otherwise, I hope you can get over its absence on the ASIF, and continue to contribute on other subjects.
My snowfall thread was literally where I contained the discussion and then gerontocrat took it over. I was either banned for saying Ilhan Omar is a threat to the United States <You lied about her in a horrifying way. Just as you did now which i'm snipping here (strickly speaking you repeated your bannable offense here. Ironic! - BK >, the ban was unrelated to weather talk and derivative of events in the off-topic section. <This is correct. - BK>

My major problem with today's events is I did not mention the ice age at all. I said that the configuration of the remaining ice this year will have major implications to practical weather and could result in early and severe negative temperature anomalies in North America by late August and September, and Eurasia come October. That is literally what has happened almost every year since 2012, it is not saying we are reglaciating, it is extrapolating / forecasting what is impending imminently.

Gerontocrat then said "oh here is BBR's ice age theory again, he won't shut the f up about it", completely baselessly, which then ended up with my post being deleted for the perception of being something it wasn't about at all, due to a man who has actively attacked me for the duration of my posting here.

Can you honestly say you have ever seen me attack any poster here if it wasn't relating to posts about denying climate change? If so, it would have been years ago, and it is not something I do today. I am here for one reason only and that is to discuss and learn and share my knowledge and others' knowledge re: the crysophere.

<snipped insult - BK>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:22:04 AM by blumenkraft »

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #999 on: July 25, 2020, 01:59:14 AM »
BBR - that snowfall theory is not even your theory. It's a very, very old theory that has not stood up to the tests of time and detailed scientific research. When the evidence does not support you, move on. There are many, many scientific publications about ice age initiation and there is a long history of those publications proving that snowfall theory wrong.