Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384303 times)

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2020, 02:05:48 AM »
BBR - that snowfall theory is not even your theory. It's a very, very old theory that has not stood up to the tests of time and detailed scientific research. When the evidence does not support you, move on. There are many, many scientific publications about ice age initiation and there is a long history of those publications proving that snowfall theory wrong.
My theory is not Ewing-Donn but thank you, I am well versed on the literature.

It is kind of close to their revision, although I focus more on ALTITUDE than latitude as evidently the onset may not even occur in the highest latitudes near the Arctic. In fact my theory kind of flips the revised Ewing-Donn on its head as I do believe extant albedo at lower latitudes is the most effective at resolving the excess accumulation of heat in the Earth system (how much more W/M^2 do the Himalayas and lower Rockies get than the ranges of Northern Alaska.... now THAT is how you equalize an anomaly).

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-935704-38-6_8

According to the revision, the importance of the ice-free Arctic Ocean is in the initiating of high-latitude glaciation followed by glacial growth to lower latitudes in those regions where an adequate moisture supply is present. The Arctic Ocean surface would freeze once a good-sized peripheral ice sheet formed and would have no direct effect in the nourishment of continental ice sheets thereafter.

Uncannily enough, the Himalayas are experiencing a summer like no other in recent history this year, concurrent with the Arctic sea ice situation... but as in Ewing-Donn, so are the mountains peripheral to the Arctic.

If snow isn't falling year-round in increasing numbers of locations then WTF is the attached map signaling? I think part of my perceived psychosis on this issue is that I truly believe we are seeing the changes I have mentioned unfold in real time, confirmed by actual data, yet mentions of this are dismissed and ignored which makes me feel like I am going insane.

I fully understand my opinions have been rejected by the majority on this Forum, but I don't think putting them on ignore is healthy when what I described is literally now happening (although I do understand that some people also find these statements untrue and would argue that in spite of massive purples across elevated NAmerica and Eurasia peripheral to Arctic, there isn't increasing summer snowfall ????)

If I am so wrong then why the f*ck is this happening concurrent with the situation in the Arctic!?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:15:29 AM by bbr2315 »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2020, 02:33:55 AM »
Living on the west end of Lake Erie’s snow belt, I can see why this theory would be attractive to some. It seems counterintuitive that AGW could cause an Ice Age but sometimes reality is counterintuitive. But what evidence there is argues against this in this case.

Rod

« Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2020, 03:56:46 AM »
[T]he ice age/reglaciation theory that you are presenting has been rejected here on the ASIF. It is not only wrong, but a derailment in every discussion where it pops up. As a moderator in the Cryo section I cannot allow it to be bandied about. IMHO it also muddies the waters with AGW, with no scientific justification, and thus may help deniers, which is why I oppose the concession of allowing it to be discussed in a dedicated thread. . . .

If you wish to be allowed a thread to discuss it, either convince Neven or a majority of the moderators, and I will have to comply. Otherwise, I hope you can get over its absence on the ASIF, and continue to contribute on other subjects.

I think this is very unfair.  As you and others have noted, bbr’s theory has never been popular on ASIF. But, as FOOW noted above, it is not bbr’s theory.

There is science supporting what he is saying.  It comes from a peer reviewed paper published by Dr. Hansen who is one of the most respected of all climate scientists.  A couple of years ago people were picking on bbr, and he shared that paper with us.  It was a long one, but I read the whole thing and there is some support for bbr’s interpretation of the science. 

That paper might be dated, but it has not been retracted.

As bbr mentioned above, when he had his own thread, he restricted his comments on his controversial theory to just that thread almost 100% of the time. 

I see no harm in letting him continue to have a thread on that subject. If people think it is wrong, they can ignore the thread. If people think newer studies contradict the findings from the original paper they can point that out in bbr’s thread, and he can do battle there.   

I have always liked bbr, and think he is a valuable member of this community. He has always been picked on because people don’t like his pet theory, but he always presents science and data to back up his arguments.

I am not saying I agree with his theory. I don’t. But, I also know I might be wrong so I don’t mind listening to what he has to say as long as he continues to back it up with science and data.

The theory he proposes is based upon his interpretation of a study by Dr. Hansen. I see no harm in giving  him his own thread to discuss that theory.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:27:46 AM by Rod »

gandul

« Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2020, 04:15:55 AM »
I support the notion that Gero should not have special treatment, especially when he throws his opinions  about other posters ideas in absolutely off-topic comments. We have to be very careful when directing opinions about other posters ideas, however he has the *pass*

Another guy that is extremely bothersome is this Bintho, he has great eloquence and rhetorics (and English is obviously not his second language), which he uses to diss people’s comments and opinions, he asks for references as if he was a professor, but ideas? Creative thinking? Conjectures? Interesting debate? Rarely. He just makes his depositions here and there dissing other posters ideas without really adding anything to the conversation.
Examples:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3210.msg276626.html#msg276626
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3017.msg276395.html#msg276395
He ridicules a conjecture that I recognize needs validation ( I am not claiming terraplanism either) and he disses the idea with an absolutely wrong concept of “floes don’t jump” demonstrating a very wrong and poor physical vision. Of course, he also lacks the references or valid counter-arguments that he demands, so he is a fraud unless he really comes with something.

It’s really tiresome, these characters that think of themselves as Sires, never get moderation when they should, and honestly, give worse vibe to the Forum than a poster occasionally snapping or getting into a rage.

I think this forum is full of these egos which is what it gives the unfriendly and hostile, I would say even closed-minded character to the Forum as of today.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:38:30 AM by gandul »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #1004 on: July 25, 2020, 05:44:57 AM »
The theory he proposes is based upon his interpretation of a study by Dr. Hansen. I see no harm in giving  him his own thread to discuss that theory.
It is fair its already been debunked repeatedly. Its about the data. If the planet was cooling we would talk about why. The planet is NOT COOLING so we do not talk about why it is cooling. we do not talk about many things that are not happening. We do not talk about why the earth blew up yesterday. We do not talk about why the moon is made of green cheese. We do not talk about why all the glaciers in antarctica melted over the weekend. There is just no point in that manner of time wasting. Unless you purpose is wasting time. People intentionally wasting time need to get the boot.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2020, 05:46:45 AM »
It is fair its already been debunked repeatedly. Its about the data. If the planet was cooling we would talk about why. The planet is NOT COOLING so we do not talk about why it is cooling. we do not talk about many things that are not happening. We do not talk about why the earth blew up yesterday. We do not talk about why the moon is made of green cheese. We do not talk about why all the glaciers in antarctica melted over the weekend. There is just no point in that manner of time wasting. Unless you purpose is wasting time. People intentionally wasting time need to get the boot.

Is it debunked? Or is it not? lol

Why don't you post some stats backing up your perspective instead of just making things up?

If locale A averages a temperature of -20C in winter and +10C in summer, a +10C winter departure and a -10C summer departure probably equal out to year-round snowcover or at least year round snowfall despite the net neutral temp departure.

Just because the temp is 0 or +1 does not mean the seasons are not dramatically shifting and I think the net cooling across the continents we are now seeing in springtime and summertime is MORE SIGNIFICANT TO PRACTICAL WEATHER than net warming in wintertime (across the continents) where wide regions are cold enough in DJF that they literally would need to be +20C for the period to see a "mild" winter and even then that could be accompanied by prolific snowfalls.

I love how you claim my theory is "debunked" yet North America's +SWE this year was the highest we have seen from the Canucks to date, and Eurasia STILL HAS +SWE anomalies at the end of July.

Honestly the sequence of the response I am replying to and my reply illustrate why I am so upset here -- I supply mountains of evidence and am met with retorts of "well the data shows it isn't getting colder or snowier" when that is literally what the data is explicitly showing....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:53:02 AM by bbr2315 »

Rod

« Reply #1006 on: July 25, 2020, 05:56:22 AM »

Nothing in that study says the planet is cooling. It addresses the effects of the current warming on Greenland melt and the AMOC.

I’m glad you have debunked Dr. Hansen as a fraud who believes the moon is made of green cheese.

Please read the papers and study the science before accusing others of wasting time. It is clear you do not even understand the issues that are being addressed.

We don’t know what will happen as a result of the Greenland melt and potential AMOC slow down, but your dismissive attitude is arrogant and insulting.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:09:01 AM by Rod »

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1007 on: July 25, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »
I'm somewhere between interstitial & Rod, with a bias towards interstitial.

And honestly I think we should just start talking about trains.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Rod

« Reply #1008 on: July 25, 2020, 06:13:11 AM »
Look, I’m not saying I believe that the AMOC slow down is/will have the effect originally predicted by the scientists 20-30 years ago.

However, those theories have certainly not been “debunked.”  If bbr wants to talk about them, I don’t see why he should not be allowed to on a dedicated thread. 

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1009 on: July 25, 2020, 09:49:23 AM »
Moral of the story? The internet is a vast place. Everyone wants to find their own corner of it, where they're valued, appreciated. Of course they do. But it's a lot better for your mental health if you can go into situations where you find yourself challenged and still keep your head. Better still, situations which make you question your own assumptions. That's how you learn and grow.

BBR, there's no point in getting angry or trying to get even. Tell yourself that these people aren't as bright as you are, and that you'll be proven right eventually. Meanwhile, go outside and check the weather. Smile, and watch the smiles coming back at you.

I would add that to put it bluntly, it would help if people had a thicker skin. Yeah, life is unfair and tough. Get used to it. You are going to have a lot of disagreements in life. Also there are going to be situations in which your opinion is in the minority. Heck, the whole climate collapse is in a way in the minority in society in which most of the society wants to keep going as usual.

The problem isn't being in minority or in the 'fringe' in opinions. I have felt being that plenty of times in my life. The matter is about argumentation. You have to critically look at your own arguments and the ones of opposition. And weigh, which ones have a stronger platform and competence attached to them. Obviously, not always easy to do. But that's part of the learning challenge.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 25, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
I guess I am wasting my time.

This was a theory in the 70's. Shortly after it was presented it was debunked.

Every few years some denialist regurgitates it. My dismissive attitude is a natural reaction to that.

You lied about what I said in my post. It is an indicator of your campaign of misinformation. 

It is fair its already been debunked repeatedly. Its about the data. If the planet was cooling we would talk about why. [/size]The planet is NOT COOLING so we do not talk about why it is cooling. we do not talk about many things that are not happening. We do not talk about why the earth blew up yesterday. We do not talk about why the moon is made of green cheese. We do not talk about why all the glaciers in antarctica melted over the weekend. There is just no point in that manner of time wasting. Unless you purpose is wasting time. People intentionally wasting time need to get the boot.[size=78%]

Nothing in that study says the planet is cooling. It addresses the effects of the current warming on Greenland melt and the AMOC.

I’m glad you have debunked Dr. Hansen as a fraud who believes the moon is made of green cheese.

Please read the papers and study the science before accusing others of wasting time. It is clear you do not even understand the issues that are being addressed.

We don’t know what will happen as a result of the Greenland melt and potential AMOC slow down, but your dismissive attitude is arrogant and insulting.

I did not claim that he is a fraud and I did not say anything about what he believes.

Hefaistos

« Reply #1011 on: July 25, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
bbr, it's a pity that you now resorted to post your things in this 'cellar' of ASIF.

Please copy your interesting posts about your theory to a relevant thread!

It there is no such thread, then start a new thread.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1012 on: July 25, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »
^^ last year this 'discussion' would have been playing out on the melting season thread .. hence the value of moderation is self evident .. b.c.

p.s. .. bbr is welcome to create a thread to continue the debate or ask for such a place if moderation restricts his possibilities ..
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1013 on: July 25, 2020, 12:34:43 PM »
Fine. I allow a new thread, in the Cryosphere Permafrost section. But don't bring the discussion outside that thread.

gandul

« Reply #1014 on: July 25, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
Look, I’m not saying I believe that the AMOC slow down is/will have the effect originally predicted by the scientists 20-30 years ago.

However, those theories have certainly not been “debunked.”  If bbr wants to talk about them, I don’t see why he should not be allowed to on a dedicated thread.
Because Intersttial, like many others in this Forum, pobably don’t believe on free thinking, open mindedness, independent mind, discussion of very different points of view. They believe on a Monolithic forum where members wink at each other and sometimes have minor disagreements on climate.

<snipped - BK>

Bbr should not be shut down and should be allowed to discuss his theory in suitable threads.
And by the way I don’t agree with bbr on this theory, or on him occasionally wanting to cancel posters that don’t agree with him . I don’t like canceling culture in any direction. But I would like to cancel privilege and arrogance.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:59:28 AM by blumenkraft »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 26, 2020, 03:07:18 AM »
Stop putting words in my mouth.

<fixed - BK>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:00:25 AM by blumenkraft »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 26, 2020, 03:11:34 AM »
I respectfully request that the moderator step in and remove All comments where a claim is made that I said something that I clearly did not.

<Hope i got it all, Interstitial. If not, please use the 'Report' button on the post in question. BK>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:03:46 AM by blumenkraft »

D-Penguin

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #1017 on: July 27, 2020, 03:40:19 PM »
To put matters to rest, nobody called other posters' analysis crazy. The notion was the outcome was crazy, to which I agree wholeheartedly. And indeed with the passing years what used to be crazy is becoming commonplace, and this trend is the really crazy thing.

+1
Absolutely correct, a most appropriate and timely intervention by oren.

All of our Moderators are 'first class' and Neven is to be congratulated on his choice.

IMHO our Moderators are adding considerable value to the ASIF.
Remember...it's all about the Jet Stream you dummy...just a personal reminder!

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #1018 on: July 30, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
I think I found a good rhythm now with the forecasts, no? Temp in the morning, wind and something extra at noon, and in the evening another one. Is everyone ok with this? I'll try to keep it up if you like me to.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1019 on: July 30, 2020, 05:20:03 PM »
Freegrass, I don’t have recommendations for what you choose to post but I appreciate what you have done so to date. I liked the discussions you initiated with the coastal salinity changes in the ESS. Maybe you could post some updates.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #1020 on: July 30, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »
Hi Bruce. Thank you for the kind words. I posted an update on the Siberian coastal current this morning. It's changed back to kinda normal according to Nullschool.

I just hope that people tell me if I'm posting too many forecasts now. I'm trying to contribute within my own limitations, but if people have a problem with it, I hope they tell me.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1021 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »
Missing Nanning!  :'(

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1022 on: July 31, 2020, 10:04:08 AM »
Indeed

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 31, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
well , that's 3 of us ... b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1024 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »
Thank you  :-*
I may return.. soon?..
sorry but taking some time off to contemplate
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 01, 2020, 04:30:56 AM »
Take your time, nanning. Yer a chill dude.  :)
···
I love how certain posters in the melt threads only ever post at certain times in order to point out certain views...

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #1026 on: August 01, 2020, 05:46:21 AM »
I am on moderation because I questioned the scientifically bankrupt Germ Theory of Disease espoused by the fraudulent Pasteur who was favourved by the elite over the greatest scientist of all time Antoine Bechamp (Terrain Theory)

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691633978/the-private-science-of-louis-pasteur

Bechamp or Pastuer ? A Lost Chapter in the History of Biology.

https://questioningcovid.com/

Only 2% of our DNA is human - we are holobionts hosting trillions of micro-organisms - we have 320,000 endogenous viruses which our bodies use for healing events -

WE ARE NOT AT WAR WITH NATURE
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

GrauerMausling

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1027 on: August 01, 2020, 08:23:38 AM »
Feels really strange, but I had to put Neven on my ignore list after the really really bad comment about Herman Cain and his cancer. I had cancer myself two years ago and according to Neven it is OK if I die in case I get Covid 19 - as I will die with Covid and not of Covid.
Somehow I have a different opinion.

I can't stand his comments any more.

For me he is a lost case.....

Hefaistos

« Reply #1028 on: August 01, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »
Can one put oneself on the Ignore list?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1029 on: August 01, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
Feels really strange, but I had to put Neven on my ignore list after the really really bad comment about Herman Cain and his cancer. I had cancer myself two years ago and according to Neven it is OK if I die in case I get Covid 19 - as I will die with Covid and not of Covid.
Somehow I have a different opinion.

This is entirely your (mis)interpretation of what I wrote, as I just quoted some parts from a news site.

My point was that old people with pre-conditions die from COVID-19, as they do from many other diseases, because people simply die. This kind of context is structurally lacking from most news reporting (for more than 100 days now), because the only way one is allowed to view SARS-CoV-2 is as some alien zombie virus that causes a Hollywood blockbuster-level plague.

Of course, you are entirely free to put me on your ignore list. Just don't slander me.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #1030 on: August 01, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »
because the only way one is allowed to view SARS-CoV-2 is as some alien zombie virus that causes a Hollywood blockbuster-level plague.

NO!
ONE!
EVER!
SAID!
THAT!

NOONE!!!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1031 on: August 01, 2020, 05:33:59 PM »
Lets not debate that here plus it is not about exact words but the context being built.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1032 on: August 01, 2020, 06:22:44 PM »
NO!
ONE!
EVER!
SAID!
THAT!

NOONE!!!

You are obviously not following mainstream media, or read what 80% of Vox Mundi's links in the COVID thread are about. Never has a disease received so much attention, with so little context or perspective. Not even Al Qaeda has had so much terror associated with it as this 'silent, invisible serial killer'.

If I'm agitating against that, and people automatically infer that I believe vulnerable people deserve to die, it just shows how succesful the relentless brainwashing has been.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 01, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »
This is why I stay away from the non-cryosphere forums. (besides this individual thread)

igs

« Reply #1034 on: August 01, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »
This is why I stay away from the non-cryosphere forums. (besides this individual thread)

@HapHazard +1

@Neven +1

Glad to see there are still a few who think on their own and see through plots.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1035 on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Re: put oneself on the Ignore list?

I tried that once, didnt seem to work ...

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #1036 on: August 05, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »
Sorry folks but...

Dog + Coffee + Laptop = DISASTER.

Laptop may not be repairable and as my budget does not run to a new laptop that's me out of action indefinitely.ĺ

No worries, Gero! Just glad you are fine. :)

Hope you have your spreadsheets stored externally/having a backup. ;)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1037 on: August 05, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
Hadn't read yours blum and put mine in the same thread because otherwise he might not find my post. Sorry for spoiling that thread.

hat-tip to pmt
To all: if you know of people who have an unused good working laptop, please let us know.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1038 on: August 05, 2020, 10:03:40 PM »
Gero fundraising:

Within a very short time, we raised €215 via GoFundMe. Be Cause and Greylib are contributing too (BIG TIME) but not via GoFundMe.

This is beyond words. I'm so proud of this community right now.

Edit: Not even an hour after setting it up, and it's €390 now! 19 people already contributed. I'm speechless.

Edit 2: GoFundMe just send me an email: "Because you're receiving so much support, we will now send you daily emails that highlight your GoFundMe's activity." (€435 now)

Edit 3: I see what you did there: €666 now!  ;D

Edit 4: One good night of sleep later: €1.558. Holy baloney! <3 <3 <3 You people are bloody amazing.

>> https://www.gf.me/u/ym3z5b
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:37:07 AM by blumenkraft »

igs

« Reply #1039 on: August 06, 2020, 01:12:06 AM »
Gero fundraising:

Within a very short time, we raised €215 via GoFundMe. Be Cause and Greylib are contributing too (BIG TIME) but not via GoFundMe.

This is beyond words. I'm so proud of this community right now.

Edit: Not even an hour after setting it up, and it's €390 now! 19 people already contributed. I'm speechless.

Edit 2: GoFundMe just send me an email: "Because you're receiving so much support, we will now send you daily emails that highlight your GoFundMe's activity." (€435 now)

Edit 3: I see what you did there: €666 now!  ;D

>> https://www.gf.me/u/ym3z5b

close to 1'300 already, sharing your pleasure, that's a good thing.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1040 on: August 06, 2020, 02:05:28 AM »
What can I say except thankyou too much.
It is humbling to receive so much goodwill from so many.

Thankyou all again

Matt Greenwood.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1041 on: August 06, 2020, 01:42:45 PM »
You earned that!  :)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1042 on: August 06, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
There's enough for one laptop for Matt and one for his dog.  :)

Is is polite to ask for a dog's name before proper introductions?
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 06, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »
because Gerontocrat's needs have been amply met , with his and greylib's agreement I have made a donation of £300 to MSF . This was a little fund I had put aside to ensure any break in Gero's transmission would be short lived . BUT thanks to everyone's generosity this little pot was no longer needed , but MSF's need has never been greater .
  Perhaps the coffee drinking pooch can access a no-spill cup when on the computer in future ..

So thanks again everyone for securing Gerontocrat's computing needs and in doing so , helping some of the many many victims of disaster and violence around the world !
                Viva Medicine sans Frontiers !

b.c.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1044 on: August 06, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »

Perhaps the coffee drinking pooch can access a no-spill cup when on the computer in future ..

Possibly the dog just wanted to join in the conversation.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1045 on: August 06, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »
There's enough for one laptop for Matt and one for his dog.  :)

Is is polite to ask for a dog's name before proper introductions?

Tor, a good base model laptop costs exactly what we made from this. Of course, you can always buy two rather crappy computers for that money. But the dog can just take the one he destroyed IMHO. :P

blumenkraft

« Reply #1046 on: August 06, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »
Viva Medicine sans Frontiers !

Hell yeah! 🖖🏽👍🏽

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 07, 2020, 08:33:41 AM »
OK, I missed something. Can I not go backpacking for a few days & return to "situation unchanged"? haha

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1048 on: August 07, 2020, 11:53:28 AM »
OK, I missed something. Can I not go backpacking for a few days & return to "situation unchanged"? haha
Nope.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1049 on: August 07, 2020, 04:02:49 PM »
The story so far.....

The dog doesn't give a damn. Lots of other stuff to do, like a new big hole at the top of the garden.
Only 5 months old but 32 kgs of energy inside a German Shepherd skin. Crash bang wallop.

Going shopping tomorrow even though the loot is sort of trapped inside gofundme.. the rules are that the loot must be withdrawn to a person and bank in the country of the person who created the fund.
Me, the beneficiary, ain't German. Catch22. Many emails to gofundme to ask how that gets sorted.
But a machine will be got hold of somehow..

Thanks everyone - many a slip twixt cup and lip.

Matt
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)