Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384298 times)

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1150 on: August 15, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »
I find all this sad, couse of emotions, and very interesting, couse of knowledge.
We are interested in the scientific knowledge about Climate Change and the Cryosphere which involves the quality of our future. Meaning that it would be almost impossible to separate this knowledge from emotions as the time goes.
This is a "low speed" huge crisis forming.
Now we experience a "fast speed" crisis and emotions are all over reasons.

Unfortunately, in my humble opinion, this shows pretty well how inadequate our response to the huge crisis is, and will be. Our brain is dominated by emotions, specially when some risk, fear, or pain is menacing ourselves.
We are NOT doing enough to stop this huge crisis and some parts of the world are already feeling unhabitable. People living there can only think of survival. (If they still can do)

Do you know that, nowadays, the main cause of death in the world is suicide ???
(Gaia works)

A place like this forum should be kind of aseptic with respect of uncontrolled emotions. We have distance and time to count up to twenty before answering.
We are only chatting, most people in comfortable and/or affluent places and positions. Wait for the real problems to hit your sofas and see who can you cooperate with to save your own ass.
 (Some in the forum seems to be suffering directly with the covid crisis and suddenly coming back to BAU is a priority, maybe for the total lack of collaboration)

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1151 on: August 15, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
Unfortunately, in my humble opinion, this shows pretty well how inadequate our response to the huge crisis is, and will be. Our brain is dominated by emotions, specially when some risk, fear, or pain is menacing ourselves.
We are NOT doing enough to stop this huge crisis and some parts of the world are already feeling unhabitable. People living there can only think of survival. (If they still can do)

(Some in the forum seems to be suffering directly with the covid crisis and suddenly coming back to BAU is a priority, maybe for the total lack of collaboration)

As the world is falling apart due to climate change, obviously this forum will fall apart too. Until Internet stops working completely. That's just a natural progression of things.

People are having trouble handling problems, because expectations are too high. I mean - expectations and real life realities don't match each other. Better to accept that things at face value, and the brutal harsh cold truths as they say.

It is said that you can see the true face of people in times of crisis. Especially if people hit real trouble (food, water, money runs out, no power) I don't have an expectation that anybody is going to be nice. Heck, I myself would be immensely suffering and if the body is traumatized due to lack of food for example, brain wouldn't function properly any more either due to lack of vitamins. Which means bad judgements would occur. Again that's the nature of things.

Again the best one can do is to rationally analyze all these scenarios beforehand, accept, adapt, be prepared for worst case scenarios and how can you personally to respond.

You can think of it like that - if people lose their minds over comments on the internet, how are they going to behave when real trouble hits them in real life? You have to ask this and the answer may not be nice.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1152 on: August 15, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
This forum discusses Arctic Sea Ice.
Arctic Sea Ice is shrinking.
The reason for this is AGW.
To preserve Arctic Sea Ice we have to end AGW.
This would require a global political revolution.
That is why we have politics on this forum.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1153 on: August 15, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
Tom, nicely put.

Aporia, trying to cut ourselves off from our emotions is as dangerous as trying to cut ourselves off from the earth, imho
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #1154 on: August 15, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
Wili,
I don't think we can cut ourselves off from emotion (unless you are a psychopath).
But if in the middle of the storm you don't control your emotions is easier to lose your boat. And be aware that it takes time (a lot, according to your emotions too much) to go through.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1155 on: August 15, 2020, 05:16:45 PM »
Aporia-fia, I was thinking of what it feels like on a sinking boat 25 miles from the beach. You can know a man for most of his life and not know how they will react to being on a sinking boat. Same with thinking about how you are going to react to a white shark when you see one while diving and how you actually react when you look up and there he is.
 We try to prepare ourselves for testing , and hope we pass when the time comes. Panic is beast we try hard to shackle.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1156 on: August 15, 2020, 08:13:57 PM »
I suggested yesterday to cut the bull shit political threads loose from the Cryospere. There should be two separate forums.

Rod, they already are different subforums.

How we score them depends on the interest of the reader but ultimately they all connect, even the ugly cousin called politics which influences everything else.

Separating them would create false comfort because we cannot do that in the real world either. All our good intentions die on the chopping bloc of the political negotiation bench all the time and we will pay for that.

Some people are indeed more into drama so if you see drama focused stuff don´t add to it if it is not really neccesary. Reporting is optional and if anyone worries about the warning message you get it is actually outdated since it is from when admins used to handle those but no one bothered to change it when mods were appointed (we dont see address data).

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #1157 on: August 15, 2020, 08:49:06 PM »
It is said that you can see the true face of people in times of crisis.
Again the best one can do is to rationally analyze all these scenarios beforehand, accept, adapt, be prepared for worst case scenarios and how can you personally to respond.
Posted by: jens
I would hope to have someone who is aware of this first rule on my team in time of crisis.

DONT PANIC !

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1158 on: August 15, 2020, 10:07:47 PM »
A good rush of panic-inspired adrenaline can be quite useful in some tight situations, if one doesn't completely lose one's head.

(Off topic language question, why can we say 'Off with his head!' in English, but not 'On with your mask!' ? )
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Rod

« Reply #1159 on: August 16, 2020, 01:20:57 AM »

Rod, they already are different subforums.

How we score them depends on the interest of the reader but ultimately they all connect, even the ugly cousin called politics which influences everything else.

Separating them would create false comfort because we cannot do that in the real world either. All our good intentions die on the chopping bloc of the political negotiation bench all the time and we will pay for that.

This is my concern. If this forum is now an “activist” forum, then there is nothing special about it anymore.  There are literally thousands of places to discuss activism with respect to climate change.

Once, not long ago, this forum focused on the science that underlies sea ice melting.  That is a unique subject that is hard to find anywhere else. That is what made this forum special and attracted thousands of viewers.

It seems that the focus has changed, and that is sad. 

The most users online today was 229. Last year, on August 18 there were 3995 users online. That figure speaks volumes. The ASIF has a unique niche that was not available anywhere else when it focused on the science of sea ice melt. Now, it is blending into the thousands of other blogs/forums that talk about activism, and there is nothing special about this site to make it any different from the others.

I’m not saying that activism is not an important subject, but ASIF is loosing what made it unique and brought so many people here.

Even worse, we have political threads that drive people away, and our administrator seems to be a Covid denier!

If someone wanted to come up with the best strategy for destroying this forum, this is it, and the numbers of active users show that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:29:38 AM by Rod »

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #1160 on: August 16, 2020, 01:46:42 AM »
The most users online today was 229. Last year, on August 18 there were 3995 users online. That figure speaks volumes.
What does that say to you? To me it says that Neven had to fight off a lot of bots last year so people like you are allowed to speak their mind freely here.

I don't know if Neven is a Covid denier. What does that mean, anyway? What I understand is that he got a different opinion from yours. And it seems that you can't respect someone with a conflicting opinion. That says more about you than it does about Neven, who created this forum so you could speak bad about him.

Please show some respect for the man,  or PISS OFF!
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Rod

« Reply #1161 on: August 16, 2020, 01:49:48 AM »
You are right Freegrass! Those active users must have been bots!

Now go smoke another joint and eat some Doritos

And, you can kiss Neven’s ass all you want, but if he is a COVID denier like he seems, then he is no better than a Trump supporter.

Yea ASIF for your activism! Our leader supports Trump 👎🏻
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:07:44 AM by Rod »

Rod

« Reply #1162 on: August 16, 2020, 02:10:36 AM »
I have no respect for a person who pretends Covid 19 is not real.

But, I don’t know why that should even be a subject on this forum.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1163 on: August 16, 2020, 02:16:17 AM »
can't respect someone with a conflicting opinion.

So? Nothing wrong with that, in & of itself. Some opinions are worth more than others. If an individual holds the opinion that 2+2=17 then I'm not going to respect their math skills. If an individual believes all blacks should be sent to gas ovens then I'm not going to respect that person at all.

Where one draws the line is also an opinion.

IMO this thread is getting stupid.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 16, 2020, 02:16:46 AM »
Our leader supports Trump 👎🏻
When you hate those who hate, you are no better than the haters you hate...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:31:19 AM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 16, 2020, 02:22:00 AM »
When you hate those who hate, you are no better that the haters you hate...
You hate that don't you.  ;D

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #1166 on: August 16, 2020, 02:23:14 AM »
You are right Freegrass! Those active users must have been bots!

Now go smoke another joint and eat some Doritos

And, you can kiss Neven’s ass all you want, but if he is a COVID denier like he seems, then he is no better than a Trump supporter.

Yea ASIF for your activism! Our leader supports Trump 👎🏻
Here's a little experiment for you to try. Google the phrase "There is a low stirring up that ice in the Beaufort today." It comes up with your post in the 2020 melting season thread from August 10. Now, how on earth did that happen?

Many of those "guests" that you're being so snarky about are, as FG said, bots. More particularly, web crawlers. They're all over the internet, grabbing bits and indexing them for search engine use (and other more unsavoury purposes, no doubt).

How about you learn something of how the internet works before you embarrass yourself?

It might also be salutary to actually READ what Neven has posted. But then, comprehension isn't one of your strong points. As you've proved in this little exchange.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: August 16, 2020, 02:24:22 AM »
I hate that you're part of a group that's out to disrupt and destroy this forum.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:44:37 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

Rod

« Reply #1168 on: August 16, 2020, 02:36:23 AM »
This place is crazy!

No wonder all of our old members are deleting their accounts and not posting anymore.

Rod

« Reply #1169 on: August 16, 2020, 02:37:07 AM »
Phoenix, fuck you!

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #1170 on: August 16, 2020, 02:37:17 AM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1171 on: August 16, 2020, 02:42:37 AM »
Rod there are many reasons we might not have as many people on the forum this year, the plague, second great depression etc, they are doing other stuff than visit forums, 2020 is a crazy year. The melting season thread is 99 pages long this year in August and was 135 pages in September 2019 not much difference.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:55:45 AM by glennbuck »

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1172 on: August 16, 2020, 02:48:02 AM »
Once there was no ASIF but there was ASIB and it had one comment tread populated by many thoughtful contributors and a very polite exchange . But as 2012 drew much interest it also drew in new voices on the comment thread and some voices, I remember one who called himself “Superman”repeatedly asked how people should respond to the obvious threat presented by all we were seeing in 2012. After awhile you sometimes had to wade through the comments to find those comments actually addressing the cryosphere . So Neven started ASIF with separate threads so people could discuss things not really about the ice while hopefully leaving “the melting season” to those who could lead us to information related to each melt season. It was and still is an amazing space and we still have amazing information posted there every day, thanks to those who participate.
 It would be nice if we all remembered our manners on the treads where politics and opinions cloud our collective vision. I don’t know what that’s all worth but if it keeps the cryosphere threads clean then Nevens way of running his site has worked out just fine.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 16, 2020, 02:48:30 AM »
Rod there are many reasons we might not have as many people on the forum this year, the plague, second great depression etc, they are doing other stuff than visit forums, 2020 is a crazy year.
Yeah... So true... People are all locked up in their homes without a computer or time to use it...  ???

WTF happened?

Rod

« Reply #1174 on: August 16, 2020, 02:56:56 AM »
Rod there are many reasons we might not have as many people on the forum this year, the plague, second great depression etc, they are doing other stuff than visit forums, 2020 is a crazy year.

I’m probably going to be done with this forum soon. I don’t think it offers much value anymore.

But, before I go, I want to say to Rich/Phoenix/glennbuck that I misjudged you a couple of years ago.  I don’t think you were a troll, you were just mistaken on the science.

I think Glennbuck has been a good contributor to the forums this year. Im sorry I said FU. You attacked me and that was my knee jerk reaction. 

Anyway, keep posting glennbuck, I think you are doing a good job this year.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1175 on: August 16, 2020, 02:59:48 AM »
It would be nice if we all remembered our manners

Please show some respect for the man,  or PISS OFF!
+1

Bruce?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 16, 2020, 03:01:18 AM »
Once there was no ASIF but there was ASIB and it had one comment tread populated by many thoughtful contributors and a very polite exchange . But as 2012 drew much interest it also drew in new voices on the comment thread and some voices, I remember one who called himself “Superman”repeatedly asked how people should respond to the obvious threat presented by all we were seeing in 2012. After awhile you sometimes had to wade through the comments to find those comments actually addressing the cryosphere . So Neven started ASIF with separate threads so people could discuss things not really about the ice while hopefully leaving “the melting season” to those who could lead us to information related to each melt season. It was and still is an amazing space and we still have amazing information posted there every day, thanks to those who participate.
 It would be nice if we all remembered our manners on the treads where politics and opinions cloud our collective vision. I don’t know what that’s all worth but if it keeps the cryosphere threads clean then Nevens way of running his site has worked out just fine.
I spend almost 20 years on a financial forum, and so I know the tactics of what they call "shorts". Those who thrive on the downfall of a company. They create a group that disrupts the message thread so those who are serious about the company are drained out and only the messages of those who mean bad remain.

It took me some time to realize it, but it seems that the same tactic is being used here. Drown out the good people with rubbish so the truthful messages you don't like get diluted.

Neven has some serious cleaning up to do here. There's a group here whose only purpose is to destroy the forum and its message of climate change.

It's a tried and proven tactic that I've seen so many times, and it's disgusting!!!!

WTF happened?

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1177 on: August 16, 2020, 03:06:55 AM »

I’m probably going to be done with this forum soon. I don’t think it offers much value anymore.

But, before I go, I want to say to Rich/Phoenix/glennbuck that I misjudged you a couple of years ago.  I don’t think you were a troll, you were just mistaken on the science.

I think Glennbuck has been a good contributor to the forums this year. Im sorry I said FU. You attacked me and that was my knee jerk reaction. 

Anyway, keep posting glennbuck, I think you are doing a good job this year.

Thanks Rod, a few people seem to think i am someone called Phoenix, i have no idea who that is, joined in July this year and took awhile to learn about the Arctic and hope my posts are more a contribution than my earlier posts. I am defending the forum i have joined not meaning to attack anyone i just call a spade a spade.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 16, 2020, 03:08:13 AM »
Thanks Rod, a few people seem to think i am someone called Phoenix, i have no idea who that is, joined in July this year and took awhile to learn about the Arctic and hope my posts are more a contribution than my earlier posts.
On the first day you joined you posted 50 messages.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:40:33 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1179 on: August 16, 2020, 03:12:28 AM »
How about you learn something of how the internet works before you embarrass yourself?

The Google crawler comes once a day or so, it doesn't produce thousands of page views, if any.

If the bots were responsible for the page views, why is it so widely varying?

actually READ what Neven has posted

I did. And i'm very well aware it has nothing in common with what was said here >>
Sorry to say, you are not.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 16, 2020, 03:15:33 AM »

The Google crawler comes once a day or so, it doesn't produce thousands of page views, if any.

If the bots were responsible for the page views, why is it so widely varying?

actually READ what Neven has posted

I did. And i'm very well aware it has nothing in common with what was said here >>
Sorry to say, you are not.
Are you sure you used the right ID to post that Blum? Don't you get confused sometimes?

WTF happened?

Rod

« Reply #1181 on: August 16, 2020, 03:53:56 AM »
Are you sure you used the right ID to post that Blum? Don't you get confused sometimes?

Freegrass, you are the stoner who always gets high and says stupid stuff. You did it again tonight.

When you wake up tomorrow, I’m sure you will be a little hung over, but look at the BS you said tonight!

Sober up boy!!! 

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 16, 2020, 04:05:58 AM »
To catch a fish you need some bait...
Today the fish were very stupid and came out to play...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:43:55 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #1183 on: August 16, 2020, 04:10:19 AM »
I spend almost 20 years on a financial forum, and so I know the tactics of what they call "shorts". Those who thrive on the downfall of a company. They create a group that disrupts the message thread so those who are serious about the company are drained out and only the messages of those who mean bad remain.

It took me some time to realize it, but it seems that the same tactic is being used here. Drown out the good people with rubbish so the truthful messages you don't like get diluted.

Neven has some serious cleaning up to do here. There's a group here whose only purpose is to destroy the forum and its message of climate change.

It's a tried and proven tactic that I've seen so many times, and it's disgusting!!!!
Freegrass is 100% correct.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 16, 2020, 06:28:17 AM »
I hate that you're part of a group that's out to disrupt and destroy this forum.
Go suck a Trump dick!
A Trump dick? That insinuates that he has more than 1 dick.  ??? Damn, what a dick!  >:(

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1185 on: August 16, 2020, 07:02:55 AM »
breakfast anyone ?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:32:38 AM by be cause »
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1186 on: August 16, 2020, 07:59:42 AM »
Gentlefolks, this thread is not going well today.

Freegrass you should NOT post when drunk. Some of the stuff you wrote should be deleted ASAP. And stop posting every second message on this thread, this is becoming very counter-productive.

Rod - this forum still has lots of value. I strongly suggest to block users who bug you, and to avoid threads you find useless. It would be a pity if you decided to walk away.

Re glennbuck, it is my professional opinion that you are not Phoenix, and I wish this unsubstantiated accusation would stop being bandied around. Phoenix was a strongly opinionated and disruptive poster that re-appeared this year (after being banned last year as "Rich") and mercifully deleted his account a couple of days before you joined. it might help if you post a bit of background about yourself, but in any case thanks for your contributions, and for your willingness to adapt your posting style to improve usability and minimize overload of threads.

Re number of users, the 3995 figure was not representative and was a result of a bug or a bot attack. this happened a few times during the existence of the forum. In summer 2013 these were 50-60 users online every month, yet 694 in August. This year in January had 200-300 users online every day, but around 1000 on Jan 20-21. It's true that last year saw consistently more users, but the drop hasn't been what it seems, and the number of page views hasn't dropped too much either, except for a couple of monthly statistics which are obviously wrong IMHO. Total number of posts actually increased this year, probably due to the Covid thread. Last year also saw more posts in the melting thread, but it was a mostly unmoderated mayhem, as Neven became overwhelmed by the role, and his father passed away.

I urge all to take deep breaths and try to relax. If your post is going to offend someone, please rethink and avoid posting it. If another's post offends you, please click "Report to moderator" rather than waging online war. And if some users consistently get on your nerves, put them on the ignore list so you are able to remain a valued reader and contributor. I promise not to block anyone ever myself, and to fight the trolls where needed, so don't feel you must do so personally.

Remember, we are all here for an important cause.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1187 on: August 16, 2020, 08:05:40 AM »
+1 Oren.

Only one thing, there is no reason for Glennbuck to explain himself. He did absolutely nothing wrong.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1188 on: August 16, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
I have lost my scissors . Any snipping will be by the contributors . And to think only a week ago we were celebrating the Forum and the decorum that led to Gerontocrat being so valuably assisted . b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

blumenkraft

« Reply #1189 on: August 16, 2020, 08:39:51 AM »
A Trump dick? That insinuates that he has more than 1 dick.  ??? Damn, what a dick!  >:(

Speaking of quality vs. quantity, eh? ;)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #1190 on: August 16, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
Amazing. I never thought the "Forum Decorum" thread would cause me to add to my killfile. Live and learn.

But then,  i suppose my ideas of "Decorum" are out of date these days.

sidd

johnm33

« Reply #1191 on: August 16, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Hmm i wonder?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1192 on: August 16, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »
What Oren said. I would've jumped in earlier, but I was in bed dreaming about plagues.

This Forum is doing just fine, so let's just all relax a bit again and look at the ice. September is around the corner.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1193 on: August 16, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
These are Neven's words:

The only scientifically oriented part of this forum is the one about Arctic sea ice. That was the intended goal of this whole thing. It's the only thing that makes this forum valuable. The rest is BS that can be found all over the Internet.

Members who don't understand this, who don't understand how the Internet works, and clutch their pearls and walk off indignantly when Neven says a minor virus doesn't deserve this amount of hype, are not valued.

From: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2996.msg281066.html#msg281066

Neven. I have always admired your moderation style and decisions in the Cryosphere and the AGW section. However in the offtopic sections your moderation is one sided. That's why I barely visit them. It was very easy to get banned by disagreeing politically with you.

Now you are bringing offtopic style moderation to the AGW forum, more specifically the C19 thread.  To  prove your point you would ban people, demote mods and with kassy removing other posters rudeness but keeping yours make a very inappropriate and hostile environment for truth seeking. To prove your point you would trash the whole board.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1194 on: August 16, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »
... (after being banned last year as "Rich") ...

Wasn't banned though. Both times he quit.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1195 on: August 16, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »
I have no respect for a person who pretends Covid 19 is not real.

But, I don’t know why that should even be a subject on this forum.
Well, there was a thread in the Consequences sub-forum about pathogens and diseases. On the last day of the past decade a post was made about a new virus. It soon became the story of the year and someone suggested making a thread just for it, so I did.
You can sort of say covid is a result of the “mega crisis” of uncontrollable growth (putting populations in contact with wildlife) and loss of sea ice is also a consequence if you want.
EDIT: and as for Neven being a covid denier, I don’t know what that would be. We have a very different opinion about the severity of this virus, and I have commented on his lack of concern about the virus, but he does not claim it nonexistent and he has good points about our reactions to it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:49:56 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1196 on: August 16, 2020, 03:39:02 PM »
It's true that last year saw consistently more users, but the drop hasn't been what it seems

I agree that page views are an unreliable metric. 

But there are other indicators.  Participation in the sea ice minimum polls has plummeted this year.  The June and July polls had the lowest number of participants ever in the history of this forum, by far.  Participation in the August poll was the lowest since 2014.

Either it's because people are getting tired of those sea ice polls, or because there is general discontent with the forum.  Personally, I'm getting increasingly tired of the forum.  I think there are too many clowns on the forum and too many childish, nonsensical or hyperbolic comments.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1197 on: August 16, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »
Either it's because people are getting tired of those sea ice polls, or because there is general discontent with the forum.

Or because most people who come here are of an 'alarmist' mind (ie are alarmed by AGW), but 2012 set a really high bar, and so to not see the record broken for many years, reduced the motivation to vote.

I haven't voted for a while, because I only vote when I feel I have some grasp of what is going on.

-----

Signal-to-noise ratio is quite high in the melting season thread. When things get exciting, it is almost impossible to keep up, and I skim a lot. In the past, people have proposed to start a thread in which only designated members could post. It is somewhat elitist, and I always put it off because I didn't know how to set it up, but maybe it would be better for the flow of information.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:59:18 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1198 on: August 16, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »
It was very easy to get banned by disagreeing politically with you.

Maybe it's like that in your mind, but I don't think it's a fair description of what's been going on during the past 7 years. Very rarely do I ban people directly. Most of the time I put them on moderation (which is more work), and after a while give them a second or even third chance. In fact, I think I've banned more people with whom I agreed politically, as I tend to agree with people who have the courage to express radical ideas, and these aren't ideal forum members most of the time (very combative, etc).

The fact that I wasn't stricter with those supporting neoliberal fantasies, or those who think in simplistic and divisive left-right terms, has also caused valued members to go look for greener pastures. JimD is a perfect example, but there are more.

Now you are bringing offtopic style moderation to the AGW forum, more specifically the C19 thread.  To  prove your point you would ban people, demote mods

I haven't banned absolutely anyone based on the C19 thread, and the 'demotion' was based on something else. In fact, I have stated many times that people need to separate my words on Arctic sea ice from my words on SARS-CoV-2, that they should not put me on a some pedestal, and that I don't care about being respected. What does annoy me, however, is when my words get twisted into things they are not, and I repeatedly get put in the same basket as fascist idiots like Bolsonaro.

Many times have my hands itched to ban those who support neoliberalism, those who cheer on wars and repeat warmongering propaganda, or those who believe their superior intelligence puts them above the subhuman rabble, but very rarely have I done so. I can remember banning bbr2234 because he completely disappointed me when he started spouting unoriginal Trumpian BS in the political threads.

To prove your point you would trash the whole board.

Even if that were true, I would trash the whole forum, except the Cryosphere part, which is the only thing making the ASIF valuable.

You are making up things about me just to keep cognitive dissonance from interfering with a coherent story in your head. You are portraying me as some kind of authoritarian bully who abuses his 'power', but a lot of that is projection. You are yourself what you say I am.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:06:57 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #1199 on: August 16, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
the 'demotion'

... was, to be fair, me stepping back. I asked for it. No demotion.