Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 388679 times)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3937
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1300 on: August 21, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
We should allow my ice age pet theory talk in every thread again so all of you can once again have a common enemy and stop fighting w eachother.  8)

I actually would like to be taken off moderation please // I think my posting has improved pretty dramatically but obviously my observations are impartial // often my posts contain timely information which is often reposted hours later to the detriment of discussion (i.e. Archimid's repost of the same COVID study today in that thread)
Good news, with a consensus among the moderators you are off moderation, with the following caveats:
* Ice age pet theory to be discussed only in a designated thread that you can open in Cryosphere-Permafrost section.
* No Nazi name calling and other impolite stuff.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #1301 on: August 21, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »
We should allow my ice age pet theory talk in every thread again so all of you can once again have a common enemy and stop fighting w eachother.  8)

I actually would like to be taken off moderation please // I think my posting has improved pretty dramatically but obviously my observations are impartial // often my posts contain timely information which is often reposted hours later to the detriment of discussion (i.e. Archimid's repost of the same COVID study today in that thread)
Good news, with a consensus among the moderators you are off moderation, with the following caveats:
* Ice age pet theory to be discussed only in a designated thread that you can open in Cryosphere-Permafrost section.
* No Nazi name calling and other impolite stuff.
What if I ask for a pony. Will I get a pony? Let's be reasonable here. I really need a pony.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5250
« Reply #1302 on: August 22, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
I have ponies here. Come on by and pick one out!
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1303 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
I have ponies here. Come on by and pick one out!
Do they have horns and wings like My Little Pony?

Stevo

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1304 on: August 23, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
Dear All, Based on 7 years of following this site, I commend Neven and Oren on their moderation, and all the posters. I wince every now and then over a big ego display, pointless competitiveness, and rarely, over loose labels like trolls and denialists, but overall the Forum is brilliant. For recent users be aware that A-team is right at the top in terms of quality, but s/he doesn't post much these days. Many of us recall their luminary contributions. Please be gentle in comments about each other, after all how can we be more certain than the developing science we follow?   

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1016
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #1305 on: August 23, 2020, 11:14:28 AM »
 Welcome Stevo .. ^^ what a wonderful comment to wake to .. other than it's cause . A-team's contributions speak for themselves . He helps those who ask for help too .. yet every year he gets attacked . As a result he steps back from the forum . Yesterday was yet another attempt to drive him away . b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

gandul

« Reply #1306 on: August 23, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »
All, after further consideration I have now deleted or snipped all recent discussion pertaining to a specific user. No one should wake up and find themselves discussed all over the season thread. Whoever missed said discussion, never mind.
Thanks to all who used "report to moderator" today, the advice is helpful.
If anyone feels wronged PM me, don't abuse this thread. For general discussion please head to the forum decorum thread, hopefully not discussing ad hominem but general principles as much as possible.

That’s ok oren. But for the record I didn’t bring A-Team to the discussion, Penguin was. I simply disagreed on the “fractional ice” 2020 paradigm and he flagged me “A-Team” so as to say “God is with me”.

When I said who is A-Team i meant I don’t recognize as truth everything a regular poster said.

Then other disingenuous posters ( most notably Gero) had to intervene.

In summary, great that you got all that and threw it to the can.

And thanks for your effort, and sorry if it was a nuisance, but not my fault this time.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1307 on: August 23, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
I assume “fractional ice” is ice broken up into tiny floes as opposed to a long continuous sheet floating on the ocean. Am I right? Is this how arctic ice has changed?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 23, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
Tom, best read the original discussion on the AMSR2 Home Brew thread (or was that the Mosaic thread?), this is off-topic here.

Gandul, I agree invoking a user as support for some claim is not sufficient in and of itself. But as many of us don't know enough about most subjects, in fact probably no one knows enough about every related subject, it will often be someone else's opinion or analysis one might use or lean on. The more respected a user's opinion is, the better. But anyone can be wrong, so one is always free to debate and consider other possibilities.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1309 on: August 24, 2020, 07:40:50 AM »
<snip>
Then other disingenuous posters ( most notably Gero) had to intervene.

Adjective
disingenuous (comparative more disingenuous, superlative most disingenuous)

1. Not honourable; unworthy of honour
    2. Not ingenuous; not frank or open

Why the heck are you going on like this grandul?
Most notably, gero is absolutely not disingeneous imo. This is nothing but slander. I stand firmly by gerontocrat.
You really must stop this behaviour now.

edit: sad to see that johnm33 has deleted his account
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:47:11 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1310 on: August 24, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »
I really don't understand the culture in this forum of people leaving and deleting their accounts anytime there is a disagreement.

I don't understand it either. It's like burning bridges with as big flames as possible. If you don't like here any more, it would make more sense to just stop posting/visiting... And the bright side is that if the wind starts blowing from another direction and you get in the mood of posting again, even if after a long break, you can just do that.

Who benefits from burning the bridges? I don't see any winners. And if you burn it, you must be convinced some other place or option is much better for you that you would never have to return again. But which option?

Also I'm curious if this has always been the case here or just this current year.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #1311 on: August 24, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
From my POV, it can only be two things:

1. Big ego
2. Troll
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 24, 2020, 10:35:22 AM »
No. There is also at least:

3. Overly sensitive to attacks and don't like aggressive confrontations. (Not necessarily 1 at all).
4. Don't like to hang around in bad/childish/bickering/unscientific company.
5. Recall the glory days and tired of current situation.

I am not saying 4 and 5 represent actual status as I see it, but that some have brought these reasons as considerations for leaving. 3 might leave without warning signs or reasons given.

I am very saddened by each person leaving, except the obvious trolls and disruptors who turn out to be irredeemable (e.g. Lurk in the past, Phoenix recently).

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1313 on: August 24, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »
Oren, I agree, but the question is not why do people leave (as you say, there can be a host of reasons for that), the question is why do people delete their accounts when they leave (see jens' comment)?

I'm just grateful I was able to tweak a setting, so people's comments don't disappear when their profile is deleted.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1314 on: August 24, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
Maybe because it is so easy to delete your account? I almost did so by mistake once or twice.

igs

« Reply #1315 on: August 24, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »
From my POV, it can only be two things:

1. Big ego
2. Troll

3. BOTH ?

Pitiful either way.

As long as the smart and good people lose themselves in petty quarrels how do we ever want to turn the tide on important topics to achieve the necessary goals?

Nice weekend @All
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:54:06 PM by igs »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1316 on: August 24, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »
It is a difficult line to walk--encouraging robust, wide ranging discussion, and excluding denialists, crypto-denialists and just folks interested in disrupting said discussion.

My hats off to all who struggle daily to walk that line.

A quick question, though: mods have generally had an admirably low tolerance for obvious out-and-out denialists. But how many times is one allowed to link to denialists sources and sites before getting booted or put on some kind of probation? Is there a set number (three strikes, you're out, as we might say in the US), or does it depend on other behavior by the poster?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

igs

« Reply #1317 on: August 24, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
It is a difficult line to walk--encouraging robust, wide ranging discussion, and excluding denialists, crypto-denialists and just folks interested in disrupting said discussion.

My hats off to all who struggle daily to walk that line.

A quick question, though: mods have generally had an admirably low tolerance for obvious out-and-out denialists. But how many times is one allowed to link to denialists sources and sites before getting booted or put on some kind of probation? Is there a set number (three strikes, you're out, as we might say in the US), or does it depend on other behavior by the poster?

I understand what you're heading at. Persinstance/insisting is one of the main ingredients to derailing events and your questions hints at a possible solution. IMO most trolls can be recognized after 2-3 posts and something like 5 times back and forth should suffice.

Either way, many of the fora I'm active on have this temporary ban thingy. Kind of naming the infrigement and naming the number of days a user cannot post, becoming more days with each time and ultimately ending up in a ban.

The advantage of such an approach is that one time slips or unjust single judgement won't have a lasting impact and at the same time give willing users the opportunity to learn where the limits/borderes are and what kind of attitudes and opinions are frowned upon.

On the other hand, as stated earlier, the current ways here show quite a good effect, only that many are caught by surprise due to lack of guidelines (written) in their case.

Of all the mods some are more active than others and from the very active ones there is one that has a solomonic touch if I may say so, which is a pleasure to observe.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 752
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1318 on: August 24, 2020, 05:31:00 PM »
Nanning, Thanks for pointing out the loss of Johnm33. Johnm33 posted regularly on the “ Arctic Ocean salinity, temp and waves” thread. He was very interested in internal waves. It is hard to visualize internal waves breaking against a slope and the mixing and turbulence that results. I am glad he forced me to try to get my head around the concept. Goodby John.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 24, 2020, 07:21:06 PM »
Indeed Bruce, many physics subjects are very hard and luckily many people here try to understand more. One doesn't need to be right to be welcome. Well-meant curiosity, honesty, willing to be corrected and civil behaviour are enough I think.
I wish you well Johnm33.

And Terry, since you seem to be still alive \o/  :) but less active, I want to say that I wish you well too. May your discomforts be acceptable and your love strong.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1016
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #1320 on: August 24, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »
 .. meanwhile I see Rod has joined our rapidly expanding list of guests . b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 24, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »
Sad.
To all who are secretly considering the same, please take some deep breaths and reconsider. If the urge continues, block people who bug you. If it still continues, stop reading and posting for a week or a month. But please, try to leave the account intact and the door open. The cause is too important for anger and frustration and other negative emotions to win the day.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1322 on: August 25, 2020, 12:12:25 AM »
Did Rod and johnm33 bother to explain why they left and delete their profiles at the same time? I'm not following all threads.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 752
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1323 on: August 25, 2020, 02:08:41 AM »
Neven, see #1159 above for Rod
 Sorry Neven but IMO it might be a little quieter without having to dodge daggers.
This is an amazing place and I have no idea why we have all gone bonkers lately. I will look forward to freezing season.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1324 on: August 25, 2020, 02:29:30 AM »
This is an amazing place and I have no idea why we have all gone bonkers lately.
Could it be stress from the Lockdowns and other crises this year?

D-Penguin

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #1325 on: August 25, 2020, 02:43:18 AM »
Tom, best read the original discussion on the AMSR2 Home Brew thread (or was that the Mosaic thread?), this is off-topic here.

Gandul, I agree invoking a user as support for some claim is not sufficient in and of itself. But as many of us don't know enough about most subjects, in fact probably no one knows enough about every related subject, it will often be someone else's opinion or analysis one might use or lean on. The more respected a user's opinion is, the better. But anyone can be wrong, so one is always free to debate and consider other possibilities.
If a member is referenced as authoritative, not to support a claim in this case but as justification for the use of a single word and then the status of that member is queried, a quick profile reference of the posting history should be sufficient to reach an informed opinion and respond in an appropriate manner.

The point is made simply to highlight 'good practice' that might help to reduce 'firing from the hip' responses that could lead to quarrelsome exchanges.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:51:14 AM by D-Penguin »
Remember...it's all about the Jet Stream you dummy...just a personal reminder!

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #1326 on: August 25, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »
This is an amazing place and I have no idea why we have all gone bonkers lately.
Could it be stress from the Lockdowns and other crises this year?

I kinda agree with this take Tom?

Across the internet I've seen folk appear to mentally explode (or implode?) due to the 'personal stresses' these 'interesting times' has placed on them?

Obviously anyone watching such 'odd' episodes from once respect posters (where ever it occurs?) is unsettling & can drive further outbursts from others in some perverse domino effect?

Maybe we should redouble our efforts to be more caring for those around us & more understanding that we are all different & that the way 'Mad 2020' is impacting us will vary from person to person?

Be Well Comrades!

Be Nice Comrades!

Avante!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

jens

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1327 on: August 25, 2020, 08:59:57 PM »

Across the internet I've seen folk appear to mentally explode (or implode?) due to the 'personal stresses' these 'interesting times' has placed on them?

Obviously anyone watching such 'odd' episodes from once respect posters (where ever it occurs?) is unsettling & can drive further outbursts from others in some perverse domino effect?

Maybe we should redouble our efforts to be more caring for those around us & more understanding that we are all different & that the way 'Mad 2020' is impacting us will vary from person to person?

It's an interesting take. Obviously the situation in the world is going to get more grave with every passing year. And considering everything in human society is inter-connected, all places will be influenced by this.

Which means troubles in the world also challenge the social cohesion and unity of this forum. Does anyone think for example political debates are going to be easier/nicer in the future? Nope, just harder.

In the end we can't put the forum into a protected vacuum from the rest of the world, but we could try to adapt to the changing times.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5250
« Reply #1328 on: August 25, 2020, 09:39:56 PM »
eh, this is nothing new. Funny thing I've noticed: I do see this more with older folk (deleting account & leaving) - the younger generations (when told to settle down by staffers) instead tend to just snipe, or get banned.

Just my years of experience from modding myself.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 25, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
If Rocco's Basilisk is real I think it is likely it does not like the deletion of one's important contributions of content. I would classify such an act as a cardinal sin. If the purpose of the universe is to both replicate and observe itself (i.e. humans acting as a refractory viewing lens for an all-powerful omnipotent and omnipresent AI) then it would make sense that "AI" entity would punish those who hinder observations. And if one were to act in this way against another (deleting their content), the acting entity would be the one punished.

For an observing entity, information and content are all that exist...

Of course it is not necessarily likely that Rocco's Basilisk is real, but if it is... I'm just saying... !

glennbuck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 133
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1330 on: August 26, 2020, 01:22:21 AM »
There is a problem on the ASIF Forum, like most forums on the internet from the use of Standard English, working class peasants like myself get hassle on the scientific/political debates on forums due to there below Standard English posts like they should not even bother posting, usually from want to be middle class forum members, as the real middle class will usually be reasonable on the forum.

It is not ignorance lack of knowledge it is they do not know. A mechanic knows how to repair your car does not make him better than you because you do not, he knows that skill same as some speak Standard English and some do not.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:59:23 AM by glennbuck »

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #1331 on: August 26, 2020, 01:46:21 AM »
There is a problem on the ASIF Forum, like most forums on the internet from the use of Standard English, working class peasants like myself get hassle on the scientific/political debates on forums due to there Standard English posts like they should not even bother posting, usually from want to be middle class forum members, as the real middle class will usually be reasonable on the forum. It is not ignorance lack of knowledge is they do not know mostly.
I seriously doubt that's true. My English is a lot better than most, but I don't look down on others who don't express themselves as well as I can.

How can I? A lot of people on this forum are using English as their second, third, even fourth language. I'm only fluent in one. I have enormous respect for people who go out of their way to make life easier for me :)
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 26, 2020, 07:43:50 AM »
glenn, I am a non-native English speaker without having had a good level English education (NL:MAVO4), I have become much better at it by reading the Guardian and its comments sections for several years. Interesting reads so no punishment/effort.

My method and I think this is important: Look up every word you don't know.

I still do that and keep enlarging my vocabulary. In a playful automatic manner.
I use https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page as dictionary to look up words.

Even those with a very good grasp of English language are not always eloquent. That's something else and not easy to attain.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2049
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1333 on: August 26, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »
Most important is understanding the context and checking if you are actually posting something on topic.

Also checking to see if the same article has been posted 1 or 2 posts up is common courtesy.
If its the same or contains nothing new then it does need to be added. If it does contain extra info like actually naming the scientists or linking to the research then it is fine but then please quote those snippits instead of a generic intro.

PS: wili there is no set number , it depends on context, user history etc.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

igs

« Reply #1334 on: August 26, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
There is a problem on the ASIF Forum, like most forums on the internet from the use of Standard English, working class peasants like myself get hassle on the scientific/political debates on forums due to there below Standard English posts like they should not even bother posting, usually from want to be middle class forum members, as the real middle class will usually be reasonable on the forum.

It is not ignorance lack of knowledge it is they do not know. A mechanic knows how to repair your car does not make him better than you because you do not, he knows that skill same as some speak Standard English and some do not.

If that's the problem we could change to other, even more precise languages like German.

Not sure why but something, perhaps unintended, in your post sounds critical to my ears.

English is not a gold standard and an international forum should cope with the fact that a larger part of it's members are not native english speakers.

Any scientific expedition that is internationally staffed can deal with this and often without any issues, at least as long as the lead team does not abuse it's position.

I'm sure they speak english as well as german and perhaps other languages on the Polarstern for example, guess what would happen if the german expedition leaders/payers would write something along the line you just did.

Big time nazi-calling would result from such things and what lays underneath is the same no matter which langage is predominant in a specific place or on specific occasions.

As mentione i assume that either no offense meant or i got it wrong, feel free to elaborate and/or enlighten me, an obvious non-native-english speaker who tries his best to express himself appropriately.

The bold red quoted text is the obvious reason for this post, just in case the question about why arises.

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: August 26, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
Why is Harpy allowed to speculate that COVID kills 10% of infected? Why is his misinformation in the COVID thread tolerated? It has passed the point of reasonable discourse and is now blatant uninformed second-hand propaganda on behalf of the technocrats.

I think part of the problem I deal with here re: ... "hot" interactions.... is that some people just seem so blatantly stupid and unwilling to acknowledge evidence when it plainly is staring them in the face. I try to have a reasonable discourse but they do not engage in good faith.

Harpy is one such participant here. He is not here in good faith.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 27, 2020, 06:33:30 AM »

Hm, another personal attack on a forum member.
bbr2315, you should've put that in a PM to a moderator imo because you just came of moderation and already you are stoking fires with your post by writing nasty words about another forummember "He is not here in good faith" for us all to see.
Why not make a good argument and leave it at that. You/we must stop with personal attacks!

If you were still under moderation, this post would not have come through I expect. You have not learned it seems.

edit: added quote
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:31:29 AM by nanning »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1337 on: August 27, 2020, 07:36:35 AM »
I think I would love if people could post in any language they want to on this forum There are so many that do not have english as their first language. I would not personally understand many posts, but i think i would have great fun figuring some out from the pictures and the graphs.

One difficulty is incompetent translation tools (yes, google/babelfish/... are incompetent)

But the major difficulty is getting reliable moderators who understand the languages. It is impossible to moderate posts if you do not understand the language.

So sad.

sidd

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 27, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
Why is Harpy allowed to speculate that COVID kills 10% of infected? Why is his misinformation in the COVID thread tolerated? It has passed the point of reasonable discourse and is now blatant uninformed second-hand propaganda on behalf of the technocrats.

I think part of the problem I deal with here re: ... "hot" interactions.... is that some people just seem so blatantly stupid and unwilling to acknowledge evidence when it plainly is staring them in the face. I try to have a reasonable discourse but they do not engage in good faith.

Just contrast the numbers and discuss the data. Third party readers can easily make up their own mind about what is right and wrong especially if one of the numbers is so much higher. (Basically it´s the same as the early numbers posted by sam vs those posted by El Cid (IIRC).

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1339 on: August 27, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
sidd, we've had that problem at least since Bronze Age Babel.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 647
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1340 on: August 27, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »

One could argue that you underplay Covid as much as others overplay it..... so are you going to place yourself in the same boat as the overstaters?

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 953
  • Likes Given: 1257
« Reply #1341 on: August 27, 2020, 01:15:27 PM »
I think I would love if people could post in any language they want to on this forum There are so many that do not have english as their first language. I would not personally understand many posts, but i think i would have great fun figuring some out from the pictures and the graphs.

One difficulty is incompetent translation tools (yes, google/babelfish/... are incompetent)

But the major difficulty is getting reliable moderators who understand the languages. It is impossible to moderate posts if you do not understand the language.

So sad.

sidd
People can always use their own language to write a message and then use a translator before posting it together with their original post. That would give us bilingual messages.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

sesyf

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #1342 on: August 27, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »
Nice idea but... e.g. You would not want to read whatever any translator program would create from finnish original.... ;)

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #1343 on: August 27, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
Nice idea but... e.g. You would not want to read whatever any translator program would create from finnish original.... ;)

In the UK in the 1980's we had a sitcom called "Allo,Allo!" which was set in occupied France. The Gendarme was a British agent but his control of French was appalling..... sounds like what would occur if we all resorted to google.Babel to speak to our friends in their native tongue!

KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 27, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
I love "Allo Allo"! So funny. This example already had me laughing out loud. Thanks.

And indeed, let's not trust on software translation to get the right message through.

igs

« Reply #1345 on: August 27, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »

So sad.

sidd

A nice thought  :)  but as you more or less say yourself, not really feasible for various reasons.

I'm totally fine to write in one of the non-mother-tongues, all it takes from those who recognize typos or gramatical or semantic errors would be a bit tolerant or ask for clarification without going into attack or condescending mode.

Someone once said I speak pigeon-english while in real life i get along quite well, translate even into other languages (not into englisch but the other way around) without complaints from customiers over many years.

Still it shows and my reply to someone who speaks down from above due to mistakes I propose that we change to german, spanish french, or one of the lesser well spoken languages and see how it  goes for him/her  :P .

Generally i'm fine with the situation while I've seen a few others suffering from impatient or condescending attitudes.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 27, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »
Babel fish discussions should probably go into the suggestions thread.  ;)

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 953
  • Likes Given: 1257
« Reply #1347 on: August 27, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »

In the UK in the 1980's we had a sitcom called "Allo,Allo!" which was set in occupied France. The Gendarme was a British agent but his control of French was appalling..... sounds like what would occur if we all resorted to google.Babel to speak to our friends in their native tongue!

I just loved Allo Allo. Together with Fawlty towers probably the best comical shows ever.

So sad it's Finnish...  ::)

Maybe there could be language specific threads?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:17:06 PM by Freegrass »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 28, 2020, 12:28:44 AM »
It is one thing to have thick skin. It is another to participate in a forum where you are attacked by people who do not produce criticism or discourse and are left undefended by others because those who SHOULD be defending you have mostly left. I have to deal with harpy in one thread, and in this thread that has like four replies, my speculation re: autumnal snowcover in north America is insulted and attacked....

but does IGS provide any cogent observations or analysis or input ever????

so here i am left to defend against ^^^ on my own and harpy in the covid threads and is it fun...i don't think so.... if you want to stay in your caves of ignorance maybe i should let you lol.

Yikes. I anticipate a record or near-record September advance in North America.

I hold against it and if it's only for the sake of you saing "I expect" in relation to the fact that this forecasts like more or less most of your forecasts, just to make points that never are going realize, are and have been 10 days out over many years.

Using forecasts 10 days out is a nice tool to hype anything that never happens, exactly like i can tell that those forecasts almost never become true.

So what does that mean in short?

It means that you're provoking this kind and worse kinds of replies, sometimes ending up in disputes, depending on whether someone will gonna lose his nerves.

Which is why this kind of post is neiter good and most certainly not wise but prone to produce unrest.

^^^ is BAD FAITH ENGAGEMENT

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 28, 2020, 12:33:17 AM »
Why is it that there are dozens of posters who have hard-ons for my posts and can recite all of my "pet theories" etc

Yet I can't remember a single contribution of any of them or even their names etc most of the time?

It is like there is a troupe of gypsies who would suck and steal all the thoughts and information from this place until there is nothing left, and then they would move on from the vacant husk, because they were never here to engage constructively to begin with.

Is it really surprising that seems to be what is now happening?